• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

subrock

oPmaamC.png

:lolz

Because playing the spec game is working out so well for everyone

Axion22

I wonder if the fingerprint scanner can be fooled with a printout of a fingerprint, I was able to get our old company Toshibas to unlock using printouts. I'm guessing the tech has really improved since then.

capacitive touch sensor in there.

No preorders for the 5S is a let down. The way they are letting is preorder the C though, makes me think that'll be the hotter item. Let all those teens grab the 5C and leave that 32GB gold 5S for me hahaha.

Jarmel

Banned
Forgot to mention, fuck Apple for not allowing preorders. They're gonna pull this same shit with the 6 and it's going to be a fucking madhouse.

How will the fingerprint sensor work with a screen protector? I see OtterBox has their Defender case coming out and it has a protector over the entire front of the phone.

Mr.Fresh

jts

...hate me...
How will the fingerprint sensor work with a screen protector? I see OtterBox has their Defender case coming out and it has a protector over the entire front of the phone.
Then you can decide not to put the button part, if there's one. There's no way it's a whole single piece including button.

And since it's a capacitive sensor, it may even work through film, but I can't tell for sure.

Quick

Banned
Will this mess my phone up in anyway? If not thanks!

Be sure to back up, and have the iOS 6 IPSW handy just in case. It should be fine, though.

do I need a dev account to install this ?

Your UDID should be registered with a dev account, but you may be able to get it working without having to do so. The worst that can happen is it tells you your phone isn't authorized and nothing happens.

Then you can decide not to put the button part, if there's one. There's no way it's a whole single piece including button.

And since it's a capacitive sensor, it may even work through film, but I can't tell for sure.

With that particular case it is one big film that actually is attached to the case it self. OtterBoxes are pretty secure.

Bleh, All Things D is saying the fingerprint scanner will not be open to third party apps for now. That kinda kills my enthusiasm about the fingerprint scanner.

Sec0nd

I'm so pissed at the release of the 5S in the countries other than the ones that will be getting them on the 20th. What the hell Apple? Do we really have to wait till December? FFS, I'm due for a new contract since mine expired a month ago. I was waiting for the 5S thinking we'd get them at the end of the month...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I wonder if the fingerprint scanner can be fooled with a printout of a fingerprint, I was able to get our old company Toshibas to unlock using printouts. I'm guessing the tech has really improved since then.
Info says it checks against the ridges on your print, does sub-epidural scanning, and is capacitive. All of this indicates that it's not simply an optical pattern digitizer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but does anyone in the Seattle area know what the best provider in terms of cost/coverage is for 4G? I'm on the Verizon with the 4S right now, and am thinking about upgrading to this, but my contract is up next month, so if I can save a bit of money and get equal or better 4G speeds, I'd be interested in checking out a different provider.

Info says it checks against the ridges on your print, does sub-epidural scanning, and is capacitive. All of this indicates that it's not simply an optical pattern digitizer.

The first thing that people are going to do is see if they can break the security. It'll be fun to watch what the results are.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bleh, All Things D is saying the fingerprint scanner will not be open to third party apps for now. That kinda kills my enthusiasm about the fingerprint scanner.
I think they are gun shy and rightfully so about allowing other apps to avoid password auth with their fingerprint sensor. It's not time tested. However, the approach they are using for storing the information is the right way to go. Essentially a biometric interface to a TPM. Hopefully the industry and consumers trust it enough for use with other apps.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Can the fingerprint function be deactivated?

Spinluck

Really really cool phone. The silver and gold ones look nice.

Not much change besides the fingerprint thingy. If not for iOS7 I'd be on it.

I feel like Google has been killing it in the OS front, and will continue to do so.

This will be a great phone though, wonder how the 6 will turn out.

that's really lame. Still pretty cool that they're adding the fingerprint scanner--just dejected about not having 3rd parties access it.

of course apple wouldnt give your biometric access to anyone

All they need to let apps do is receive a simple yes/no answer from the touch app (i.e. Did the user authenticate their ID? Yes or no?) , which they really should be able to do without granting them access to anything else.

It kinda comes across as them not having all that much confidence in how the whole fingerprint system is going to pan out yet, as opposed to just Apple being Apple.

Any ram or processor difference from the 5? Or ram won't be known until the tear down?

Processor is A7. Big thing is it's a 64-bit processor which Apple says the performance and graphics are twice as powerful as the A6. Also, the 5S has the new M7 "Motion co-processor" which is basically a processor designed to handle gyroscopic, compass, and accelerometer functions exclusively.

Personally I'm excited for this. Going to get it a 5S in "Space Grey" which will compliment my iPad and Macbook Pro nicely. Excited to have a singular OS environment in my house in terms of my real workhorse devices.

numble

All they need to let apps do is receive a simple yes/no answer from the touch app (i.e. Did the user authenticate their ID? Yes or no?) , which they really should be able to do without granting them access to anything else.

It kinda comes across as them not having all that much confidence in how the whole fingerprint system is going to pan out yet, as opposed to just Apple being Apple.

Why do they have confidence in it for processing transactions in the iTunes/App Store, then?

I think things are more complicated than you suggest. For instance, a banking app would love that info. But the Touch ID isn't necessarily connected to a specific person (you can allow other people's fingers to unlock your phone). It may be connected to a specific iTunes account, but you aren't logging into a bank app with your iTunes account.

Why do they have confidence in it for processing transactions in the iTunes/App Store, then?

Because they would control everything from beginning to end. It's a much more controlled environment for Apple. I'm not saying Apple doesn't have confidence, but if they were being cautious about it, this is certainly a valid reason why.

I think things are more complicated than you suggest. For instance, a banking app would love that info. But the Touch ID isn't necessarily connected to a specific person (you can allow other people's fingers to unlock your phone). It may be connected to a specific iTunes account, but you aren't logging into a bank app with your iTunes account.

No, but if you had either a proper method of storing credentials as part of the OS or within the app, then the fingerprint scanner would input that data for you without giving any of that data to the third party app. It's no different than how the iTunes account knows to log in with the fingerprint.

numble

Because they would control everything from beginning to end. It's a much more controlled environment for Apple. I'm not saying Apple doesn't have confidence, but if they were being cautious about it, this is certainly a valid reason why.

No, but if you had either a proper method of storing credentials as part of the OS or within the app, then the fingerprint scanner would input that data for you without giving any of that data to the third party app. It's no different than how the iTunes account knows to log in with the fingerprint.

Yes, that's why we have something like iCloud Keychain coming soon. But even that simple browser-based version has been delayed and is not in the final GM build, let alone a new API for apps.

I think you agree it is not as simple as giving an app a "Yes/No" API.

apple copy writers got worse?

hero_title.png

A chip with 64-bit architecture. A fingerprint identity sensor. A better, faster camera. And an operating system built specifically for 64-bit. Any one of these features in a smartphone would make it ahead of its time. All of these features in a smartphone make it an iPhone that’s definitely ahead of its time.

i thought we weren't having the spec war thing Apple

Yes, that's why we have something like iCloud Keychain coming soon. But even that simple browser-based version has been delayed and is not in the final GM build, let alone a new API for apps.

I think you agree it is not as simple as giving an app a "Yes/No" API.

Well it depends. If they're leaving it up to the app to handle things, then yes it can be as simple as a Yes/No API.

numble

Well it depends. If they're leaving it up to the app to handle things, then yes it can be as simple as a Yes/No API.

The app would need to be able to associate the user account and password with the "Yes" information. I can't download a Citibank app, open the app, press my fingerprint and then access my account. It needs context to know what to do with that "Yes."

-PXG-

Isn't having a 64 bit SoC gonna create a shit load of issues for legacy devices? Sure, 5S can run 32 bit apps just fine, but what about the 5C and everything before it? Won't devs have to make two versions of their apps now?

Also, it's still only 1 GB of RAM. Won't devs run into bottle necks, especially for games, a more visually intensive OS and multitasking?

giga

Isn't having a 64 bit SoC gonna create a shit load of issues for legacy devices? Sure, 5S can run 32 bit apps just fine, but what about the 5C and everything before it? Won't devs have to make two versions of their apps now?
Xcode will automatically create two binaries in the app package. Same transition as it was with OS X. Real easy.

Top Bottom