• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Enco

iPhone 6 = bigger screen
iPhone 6C = smaller screen

Boom.

As well as the bigger screen, give us a more open OS and Android can eat it's heart out.

EekTheKat

I had a couple of freeze/random restarts on my 5s so far. Once it froze on engadget and I had to force reset and just this morning it randomly rebooted while I was in the middle of swapping apps.

Phone was setup as a new phone, not restored from backup. Outside of apps/movies most of my data can be easily re-imported anyway.

Hatty

its just a rumor and they are often more wrong than right
but it'd be real unfortunate if apple caves into the bigger screen pressure

snacknuts

we all knew her
As well as the bigger screen, give us a more open OS and Android can eat it's heart out.

Hd3qemY.gif

Heard cool song on iTunes Radio. Clicked buy. Asked to enter password to even though I used touch id in the past for purchases. Tapped cancel. Will wait for song to play again on Radio. TouchID for life.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It is pretty annoying going back to no finger print use after you have used it for even a little bit.

nynt9

Recently got a 64gig gold 5s. TouchID is very inconsistent, sometimes it works great and sometimes it won't work even after dozens of tries, on the same finger. Is there some sort of secret sauce to get it to work consistently?

Recently got a 64gig gold 5s. TouchID is very inconsistent, sometimes it works great and sometimes it won't work even after dozens of tries, on the same finger. Is there some sort of secret sauce to get it to work consistently?

I don't know. It works consistently good 99% of the time for me.

qwerty2k

got my 32gig white + silver 5s today, always had a black iPhone since 3gs, loving the white + silver a lot more than i thought i would, initially got it for a change but now think it looks awesom!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Redo the finger prints, moving your finger around after each raise.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If the bigger screened 6 actually looked like the mockup in that article, I'd be shocked and happy. But I doubt they'll be able to get the screen that close to the edge and still keep it affordable. But hey, get as thin margins as you can and I'll bite.

Iacobellis

If the bigger screened 6 actually looked like the mockup in that article, I'd be shocked and happy. But I doubt they'll be able to get the screen that close to the edge and still keep it affordable. But hey, get as thin margins as you can and I'll bite.

Bigger screen = higher resolution = developers need to update their apps = fragmentation.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Bigger screen = higher resolution = developers need to update their apps = fragmentation.
I didn't say the resolution would change. Did the article?

The only way the resolution would change is if they were planning on moving over to it 100% in time. (I'm actually surprised they still kept the 4S and got rid of the 5 instead of keeping the 5 as the low end and dropping the 4S so they'd finally be rid of the old 3:2 aspect iPhone.)

I'd be fine with a bigger screen that still had the same resolution, but I suspect others might not. So unless they somehow implement a real resolution independent UI into iOS that will let them scale the 6 to fit more in, I don't see a higher resolution.

Though there is that option in iOS 7 where you can change the size of text in apps that support it. Do any apps even support Dynamic Text yet? I haven't noticed any. But if they leverage that feature, they wouldn't need a new resolution. They could push developers to make their UI scaleable via that preference and have it set to slightly smaller on the 6 so elements still appear the same size.

I dunno. It's still months away before we even find out if there's anything to this rumor. Personally, I'm fine with the iPhone size the way it is. It fits in my "iPod nano pocket" perfectly.

Synless

Every time you lift your finger you need to change the angle on the same finger. I have a 100% success rate with mine on four different fingers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely having some minor issues since picking up the phone. Some or all of it may be more related to iOS 7 than the hardware, but off the top of my head:

- Touch screen is sometimes not responsive. Specifically when pressing X to close the default Twitter app's built-in browser, pressing the back icon on the default Twitter app, pressing the download button for dictionaries. I'll often have to tap multiple times to get it to respond.

- Default Twitter app crashes a lot. So does the Apple TV remote application (not really a big deal, though).

- Dictionary settings don't seem to save at all. It's annoying as hell to always have to select multiple dictionaries every time I want to look something up.

- The parallax image stuff sometimes feels odd... like my motion sensing calibration may be off.

- Very rarely the fingerprint touch sensor will simply not respond. I'll be at the lock screen and nothing I can do will get it to even try reading my fingerprint. The only way I've been able to fix it is to input my password and then lock the phone again after which it will work as normal.

Iacobellis

I didn't say the resolution would change. Did the article?

The only way the resolution would change is if they were planning on moving over to it 100% in time. (I'm actually surprised they still kept the 4S and got rid of the 5 instead of keeping the 5 as the low end and dropping the 4S so they'd finally be rid of the old 3:2 aspect iPhone.)

I'd be fine with a bigger screen that still had the same resolution, but I suspect others might not. So unless they somehow implement a real resolution independent UI into iOS that will let them scale the 6 to fit more in, I don't see a higher resolution.

Though there is that option in iOS 7 where you can change the size of text in apps that support it. Do any apps even support Dynamic Text yet? I haven't noticed any. But if they leverage that feature, they wouldn't need a new resolution. They could push developers to make their UI scaleable via that preference and have it set to slightly smaller on the 6 so elements still appear the same size.

I dunno. It's still months away before we even find out if there's anything to this rumor. Personally, I'm fine with the iPhone size the way it is. It fits in my "iPod nano pocket" perfectly.

They would need to up it so they can retain the "Retina" aspect of the screen. Apple was one of the first mainstream vendors to have a 300+ ppi screen on their phone, it wouldn't make any sense for them to go below it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Guys, I'm confused. I'm going to buy this today but which color do I get? Heart says Space Grey but the Gold one is pretty cool too.

Ordered my 16gb silver on Saturday from an AT&T kiosk in the mall. Expecting sometime this week, but it still says "preparing to ship." Let's hope I get a shipped notification.

mrkgoo

Just ordered my 16GB Space Grey 5S. 16GB is enough right? Right?
I would say 16GB is not enough unless you are fairly aggressive with management or do not care about certain feature or functions.

Personally, I like to utilise MOST features in my phone, and to do so comfortably I reckon you need more than 16GB.

Firstly the useable space is closer to 14GB.

Some apps are over 1GB. You probably want a reasonable selection of music on there at a few GB.

Want space to fit a movie occasionally? Take image or video? More space.

Unless you love to manage and rip stuff on and off all the time. Or f you're a much heavier cloud user.

Having seen the gold in person, I kind of want it. The silver works just fine for me, though. No complaints.

After debating between the colors I decided to just stick with black. On my way out of the store checked out the golds on display and really wanted to change my mind. I think with iOS7, the white front looks really slick with it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'll probably get black too just because I'm gonna get a cover to cover the space grey anyway and the black will eliminate the black ring around the screen.

When I eventually get it. Still have quite a bit of life left in my 4S.

bionic77

Definitely not enough and will limit how you use the phone. It is very easy to fill up 32 without trying but 16 is not enough and will require constant compromises.

I think I have 8 gigs just in pictures from the past 5 months.

Changing gears, my phone has been in Zheng Zou China for 2 days. Get your shit together UPS!

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely not enough and will limit how you use the phone. It is very easy to fill up 32 without trying but 16 is not enough and will require constant compromises.

I think I have 8 gigs just in pictures from the past 5 months.

Changing gears, my phone has been in Zheng Zou China for 2 days. Get your shit together UPS!

Why do you keep all of those photos on your phone? Do you look through that entire collection in a place with no internet/data connection fairly often? Unload them to your computer or an external hard drive (or at least put them in the cloud somewhere).

16 GB is plenty for many (note: not all) users. People need to stop being digital hoarders on their mobile devices.

bionic77

Why do you keep all of those photos on your phone? Do you look through that entire collection in a place with no internet/data connection fairly often? Unload them to your computer or an external hard drive (or at least put them in the cloud somewhere).

16 GB is plenty for many (note: not all) users. People need to stop being digital hoarders on their mobile devices.
That's not my entire collection. Not close to it. That is like a few months worth of photos and videos. When you have kids you fill that space up fast. I usually save those pictures to my laptop when the phone gets too full.

With all the apps and games I have 16 is just not enough to use the phone for photos and videos as well. I would have to save my photos ever month to make it work.

Top Bottom