• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
That's not my entire collection. Not close to it. That is like a few months worth of photos and videos. When you have kids you fill that space up fast. I usually save those pictures to my laptop when the phone gets too full.

With all the apps and games I have 16 is just not enough to use the phone for photos and videos as well. I would have to save my photos ever month to make it work.

I never said it was your entire collection. I was referring to the collection of photos you've taken over the past 5 months that you mentioned in your post.

And I guess the bolded is what I really don't understand. You're suggesting it's a hassle to connect your phone on a monthly basis? I think my phone gets synced to my computer practically every day. I can't imagine waiting an entire month in-between, or how doing it more frequently that that would even be an issue. Can't you even sync over wi-fi these days? You wouldn't even have to plug the phone in. I hope you're at least backing up the phone to iCloud and not your computer so you don't risk losing all of those photos if you ever lose or break your phone.

Even in that extreme case of really infrequent syncs, you can always just get an app that stores them automatically for you (Dropbox, Loom, etc). Seems so much better than filling up your phone with thousands of photos in-between syncs and having to worry about space, even with the larger internal drive.

Obviously your call though - whatever habits make life easiest for you. Videos and games can definitely fill up a phone quickly, so if you take a bunch of long HD videos that's a different matter altogether, I get it. There are so many solutions to photos and music out there, though, that it perplexes me when people put huge collections on the internal drive.

bionic77

I never said it was your entire collection. I was referring to the collection of photos you've taken over the past 5 months that you mentioned in your post.

And I guess the bolded is what I really don't understand. You're suggesting it's a hassle to connect your phone on a monthly basis? I think my phone gets synced to my computer practically every day. I can't imagine waiting an entire month in-between, or how doing it more frequently that that would even be an issue. Can't you even sync over wi-fi these days? You wouldn't even have to plug the phone in. I hope you're at least backing up the phone to iCloud and not your computer so you don't risk losing all of those photos if you ever lose or break your phone.

Even in that extreme case of really infrequent syncs, you can always just get an app that stores them automatically for you (Dropbox, Loom, etc). Seems so much better than filling up your phone with thousands of photos in-between syncs and having to worry about space, even with the larger internal drive.

Obviously your call though - whatever habits make life easiest for you. Videos and games can definitely fill up a phone quickly, so if you take a bunch of long HD videos that's a different matter altogether. There are so many solutions to photos and music out there, though, that it perplexes me when people put huge collections on the internal drive.
I only connect to my Mac to back up photos periodically. You don't really need to sync anymore unless you want to transfer movies or music.

I could do what you are suggesting but I felt cramped on on my 16 gig 4S and have been using 32 ever since. As you said the phone can start filling up pretty quickly when you are taking a lot of videos, which you do as a parent. I can see 32 getting cramped by the time the 6 or 6S rolls around.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
MOTHER OF GOD ABOUT TIME!!!

Time to contact my operators :D:D:D:D::D:DDSIOHFasgfas
f
asfasofasgfuiasgf IPHONE 5S HYPEEEEEEEEEEE

edit: Time to get this show on the road! Can I buy a regular 5 plastic cover on the front and back? And it'll work perfectly for 5s? Won't fuck with any new (?) sensors?

Might fuck with the new flash as its wider than the iPhone 5 one.

ecurbj

I officially and finally bought a Verizon iPhone 5S 64GB Space Grey today at Best Buy. It was their last one. I traded in my iPhone 5 at GameStop for some cash. Then used that to purchase the iPhone 5S. And must I say "WOW" at this phone!!!

So glad to have it!! Woo!

Kabuto

My Gold 64GB is now in a city an hour away from me :OOO
Hope it arrives tomorrow morning before class starts so I can show it off haha.

kaskade

Man, they are releasing them in more countries and I still don't have the one I ordered day one. When the iPhone six comes out they need to make like 20 million for the first week.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I ordered my 64GB Space Grey 12 midnight on release day and it arrived two days ago (8th). It's replacing the 16GB Silver 5S I got as a carrier upgrade just over a week ago! I'm gifting that one to my Ma before she goes Android.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So much EXCITE! My operator is finally starting to advertise 5s on their site :D

Now we wait...!

Anybody have any experience with returning a phone and resetting a contract (AT&T)? I am thinking of returning my 5s and waiting for the 6. I ordered through Apple's website and I am planning on returning it before my 30 days is up, but I won't do it if AT&T won't let me upgrade next year.
Apple's website says this:
Service Cancellation
Wireless carriers have different service-cancellation policies. Returning your iPhone may not automatically cancel or reset your wireless account; you are responsible for your wireless service agreement and for any applicable fees associated with your wireless account. Please contact your provider for more information.

anybody else having trouble with the emoji keyboard? every time I try it to use it it crashes my message app.

I tried restarting and removing the keyboard but nothing seems to work and non of my friends have the problem with 4s and 5 so I thought it might be 5s specific

Yoshichan

I SAW SOMEONE ON THE BUS TODAY WITH A 5S

:mad: HOW?

Still no word on my gold. Temptation to go space gray is ever growing.

Hold out for a week or 2 more! I just checked store pickup a few hours ago and there were some available(quickly sold out within an hour). So my guess is they're starting to ship them out slowly now.

There was a 64GB Gold in store but I decided against it. 32GB is large enough for me.

got my 5S last night and i already miss my jailbreak apps
biteSMS, barrel, ifile, activator :(

feels weird having to unlock my phone just to reply to a text...

the camera, the finger print sensor, the overall speed of the phone is pretty amazing though.

NYR

Got my 5S today - space grey.

I was one of those people who didn't use a passcode, so the addition of a fingerprint sensor is cool. It is weird you can you only save 5 fingers. You would think it would be, like, 15 - 10 for the primary user (all fingers) and 5 free slots.

Majine

Banned
Got my 5S today - space grey.

I was one of those people who didn't use a passcode, so the addition of a fingerprint sensor is cool. It is weird you can you only save 5 fingers. You would think it would be, like, 15 - 10 for the primary user (all fingers) and 5 free slots.

5 makes sense. Two thumbs, two pointers and 1 from your SO or someone else close to you that might need to use it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Aren't these fingers mainly to make purchases easier? Do you really want your nephew being able to buy apps or download IAP?

Unless I'm mistaken and each finger can be set to unlock the phone and purchase stuff independently? So you can have your nephews fingerprint be unlock only but not purchase?

NYR

Aren't these fingers mainly to make purchases easier? Do you really want your nephew being able to buy apps or download IAP?

Unless I'm mistaken and each finger can be set to unlock the phone and purchase stuff independently? So you can have your nephews fingerprint be unlock only but not purchase?
I believe it is universal - fingerprints do all or nothing.

I trust him with the phone, he grew up in a iphone era, he knows not to buy, has never been an issue in 5 years.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I believe it is universal - fingerprints do all or nothing.

I trust him with the phone, he grew up in a iphone era, he knows not to buy, has never been an issue in 5 years.
That's good. You always hear stories about parents whose kids ended up inadvertently purchasing hundreds of dollars worth of IAP because they didn't know they were doing anything wrong.

Still it should be optional for both things separately. Maybe some more fingers too. Is there a reason for the hard limit of 5? Maybe not enough space on the chip?

Yoshichan

Probably spent too much money to import it there.
On the bus right now and I'm seeing this chick with one as well... WHAT THE FFFFF :,(

Kabuto

got mine tonight and I think it might have a screen defect. Comparing everything to my 4s, everything is a little yellow while the 4s is just clear. I think I'll just wait it out until supply is better than I'll replace it at an Apple Store.

The hardware is fantastic though and Touch ID is really convenient.

tsumineko

got mine tonight and I think it might have a screen defect. Comparing everything to my 4s, everything is a little yellow while the 4s is just clear. I think I'll just wait it out until supply is better than I'll replace it at an Apple Store.

The hardware is fantastic though and Touch ID is really convenient.

The screen is more yellow than my 4 was too. It definitely has a warmer screen. I prefer it, but that's personal opinion. I don't think your phone's screen is defective, I think that's just the way they are.

Kabuto

The screen is more yellow than my 4 was too. It definitely has a warmer screen. I prefer it, but that's personal opinion. I don't think your phone's screen is defective, I think that's just the way they are.

oh alright. I'm preferring my 4s' screen right now, but I can get used to the 5s' yellow too.

I was not expecting all my apps to be in the same position and folder they were in on my 4s. It's such a nice little touch by Apple that saves me a lot of time.

I remember reading someplace that only the first registered fingerprint can be used for purchases. Probably to prevent other people with fingers registered on your device from buying things using your store account.

Yoshichan

Got a text from my operator :D Confirmation feels goooooood!

WgPH21x.png

First come, first served at midnight launch ^____________^

HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yoshichan

Or, order online via operator, get delivery on the morning of release.
SLEEP IN, man.

Fuck that, can't take the risk! SCREW sleeping man, I can handle dat shit AND work 6 hours later!

Quadratic

It seems like my iphone 5s has the level/accelerometer mis-calibration. If anyone here has had the problem has Apple switched the phone for a new one at the store? It seems to be a wide spread problem and people are getting replacement phones with the exact same issue.

It seems like my iphone 5s has the level/accelerometer mis-calibration. If anyone here has had the problem has Apple switched the phone for a new one at the store? It seems to be a wide spread problem and people are getting replacement phones with the exact same issue.

how does the error materialise?

Blackhead

Redarse

Espresso

Banned
This morning I pressed on the Music app and was greeted with a black screen. I closed it and manually killed its process, then tried again. Black screen. Repeat 2x until it finally opens.

Settings crashes on me often when I'm toggling a few switches. What a buggy OS.

Is the sensors problem a hardware thing or a software thing? I'll notice my home screen icons will not center themselves sometimes and of course my eveler is off.

I just walked into BestBuy and picked up the Verizon 5S. Gold model
They weren't supposed to get shipments of the color until November. I'm really satisfied with it.

And I have experienced apps crashing too on iOS 7, but on my 16 GB iPhone 4.

Top Bottom