• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

cchum

Is the sensor "problem" perhaps some thing to counter drift? I started at 3 degrees for awhile and now it's stable at 2 degrees.

Phreaker

Is the sensors problem a hardware thing or a software thing? I'll notice my home screen icons will not center themselves sometimes and of course my eveler is off.

Weird. I've seen that too on my 5. Then after some time, maybe using another app or something and I go back and they are centered. This one time even the wallpaper looked off and it was "lower" than I had ever seen it. I just assumed it was some OS bug since most of the time the icons and background move as intended.

KHarvey16

Really enjoying my 32GB space gray 5S. If I had to offer a complaint it would be the feel of the new home button in comparison to my old 4S, but honestly it's a price I'll willingly pay for the fingerprint sensor. I'm really loving that because it just works the way it should. Real happy.

Quick

Banned
Just checked the level on my 5S, seems perfect, unless my entire building is tilted by a few degrees lol

Mine gives me major issues anytime I'm in this building.

14_19_53_web.jpg

kaskade

Mine seems like it finally shipped. I can finally stop obsessing over it shipping. I'm assuming I'll have it Monday or Tuesday.

Husker86

Third party apps for the 5 crashed a lot early on. Once developers get access to the hardware and crash reports those always filter out. It's not the apple apps crashing more, after all.

Apple apps are crashing just as much as third party apps for me. Settings is the worst.

Juice

Additional crashes on 5S apps are to be expected if the apps have the 64-bit instruction set enabled.

1. It's newer so it's less used and less tested and therefore less trustworthy
2. Developers got their apps to compile with a single flag change and perhaps published with no or only rudimentary on-device testing that the ap actually worked in 64-bit mode

So naturally I expect more crashes on 5s. Not a big deal. It'll work itself out as the A7 becomes a bigger part of the mix

Quick

Banned
A friend of mine broke her iPhone 5...she had insurance and they were out of 5's so she got a 5s...

I never get that lucky

Does she have AppleCare or is it a store-specific warranty?

I spoke to a Best Buy employee a year ago about their warranty for Apple products, and apparently it covers hardware upgrades. So, if a new iPad or iPod comes out, they apparently offer you the upgrade. That could be different from their Best Buy mobile warranty though, or he could've been bullshitting me.

Edit: Best Buy Canada, I should specify.

Does she have AppleCare or is it a store-specific warranty?

I spoke to a Best Buy employee a year ago about their warranty for Apple products, and apparently it covers hardware upgrades. So, if a new iPad or iPod comes out, they apparently offer you the upgrade. That could be different from their Best Buy mobile warranty though, or he could've been bullshitting me.

Edit: Best Buy Canada, I should specify.

It might have been from ATT or Best Buy...not sure

Maximus.

Loving my 5S, but not loving the slow updates for apps to be rocking the iOS 7 looks. The home button clickiness is hard to get used to after using the 4S for so long.

Husker86

Haven't really experienced any app crashing yet on my 5s, and my wife hasn't mentioned crashing on hers.
Probably because Apple gives you no clue of app crashes. But seriously, I'm not saying you aren't aware enough to notice your phone going to the home screen when it shouldn't, and may very well have a crash-free phone, but it really annoys me that Apple gives no indication that an app has crashed...they just kick you to the launcher and hope no one noticed.

Walked into Three yesterday in Poole (mobile operator in the UK) and picked up a gold model. They had a handful of all colours in stock. All the rival phone stores had "iPhone 5S in stock" signs sitting outside too so I'm guessing a shipment came in on Friday.
Anyway so far so good. No compass/level problems and no crashes. The gold looks more faint bronze than anything which is nice. Browsing the web is super fast, probably on par with my Mac. Oh, and it takes amazing photos, I'll do a comparison with the iPhone 5 at some point.

Walked into Three yesterday in Poole (mobile operator in the UK) and picked up a gold model. They had a handful of all colours in stock. All the rival phone stores had "iPhone 5S in stock" signs sitting outside too so I'm guessing a shipment came in on Friday.
Anyway so far so good. No compass/level problems and no crashes. The gold looks more faint bronze than anything which is nice. Browsing the web is super fast, probably on par with my Mac. Oh, and it takes amazing photos, I'll do a comparison with the iPhone 5 at some point.

I'm jealous. I just literally missed out on a gold 5s during checkout while processing. Back to the waiting game for me. Glad to hear you're enjoying it though!

I've been using a gold 64GB for just about a week now, love it.
Nothing major but every just feels so snappy compared to my iPhone 4. I really have no complaints besides the occasional crashes of the music player. I can see myself using this phone for years assuming the snappiness does not go away like what happened to my iPhone 4 after each iOS update with its added features.

The fingerprint sensor is great too for unlocking, works most of the time though occasionally I still need to input my password due to it not reading properly from certain awkward thumb press angles. I can't think of anything else I want my phone to do now besides act as a credit card payment hub wirelessly. Next update they can add in the house management thing (heat control, lighting control, etc.), wireless payment, and haptic feedback and it will be perfection. They can't really do anything else besides reading your mind or retina or something after that or at least I cannot think of anything. :p

but what do you guys use as a reference surface? o_O I wouldn't trust my floor.
Hold out your right arm completely straight with your hand's palm facing down. Then proceed to stand the iPhone on the back of said hand and measure. That's what everyone else has been doing. Please note that the iPhone 5s is not currently compatible with left hands.

CrankyJay

Banned
Probably because Apple gives you no clue of app crashes. But seriously, I'm not saying you aren't aware enough to notice your phone going to the home screen when it shouldn't, and may very well have a crash-free phone, but it really annoys me that Apple gives no indication that an app has crashed...they just kick you to the launcher and hope no one noticed.

True. I'll keep a better eye on it today, but I know for certain I never had the phone reboot on me.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Crashes everywhere

Also I have some siri issues where siri will come up but no record my voice. I will have to launch it like 6 times before it will start recording.

Also my leveler is 5 degrees off.

I really don't want to get a new phone but I may. I'm assuming these are all software issues though.

Crashes everywhere

Also I have some siri issues where siri will come up but no record my voice. I will have to launch it like 6 times before it will start recording.

I really don't want to get a new phone but I may. I'm assuming these are all software issues though.

Something tells me between the crash logs they've gathered since launch, sensor reading issues and the iMessage bug that we're in for another bugfix this week.

Synless

Are the verizon versions of the iphone 5s and 5c unlocked? I ask because I got the phones for free and I am thinking it would almost be better to break my contracts ($350 each) and go to another carrier with phones already on hand. Unless I am misunderstanding how that process works.

Are the verizon versions of the iphone 5s and 5c unlocked? I ask because I got the phones for free and I am thinking it would almost be better to break my contracts ($350 each) and go to another carrier with phones already on hand. Unless I am misunderstanding how that process works.

They're unlock.
And yes you can do that.

Vyer

Crashes everywhere

I'd get it switched. Hadn't really heard of the Siri thing. Could be software, but nothing wrong with better safe than sorry

kaskade

T-Mobile is saying my phone should be here Tuesday. Stupid wait for the gold is finally going to be over. I haven't seen any in public yet besides my friends space gray. I'm really excited to be on the iOS horse now even though it seems like iOS7 is a little buggy right now.

Got my iPhone 5s (16GB, black) today - upgraded from a 4S and I'm really liking it so far. I really didn't click the home button since I was used to the click on 4S, but I found a solution right away! I got a nice Speck case that gives me the clicking sensation that I crave, plus it's a nice black case that's double padded and non-intrusive to my uses. Protects my phone really well - quite possibly the best case I've ever had.

Got no complaints with iOS7 so far!

are there any apps that allow you to record in 720p instead of the default 1080p? it's my understanding that 720p mov files are significantly smaller

Top Bottom