• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

lupin23rd

Looking to get my 5s tomorrow if all goes well.

I'm currently on a 4s and would probably try to get rid of it - is there any "bonus" for being factory unlocked or is that not much of a thing now that most carriers are unlocking for a fee (or is that not true in all places)?

Is backup/restore via iCloud the best way to get the new phone up and running from where I left off, or is there another way?

Also is there any recommended way to wipe the old phone before selling or is factory reset enough? Not super paranoid about someone trying to get my old data back but if there's a good easy way to do this safely I'm down.

Still find it strange that someone ordering a gold today will get a phone at the same time as those of us who ordered on launch day. Will be interesting if there are any noticeable differences if they made tweaks to the production line during the last few weeks that had things at a standstill.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys, it's soon time for me to choose which phone I want. I can get any of the three... Tell me which one fits me the most!

Quick

Banned
Guys, it's soon time for me to choose which phone I want. I can get any of the three... Tell me which one fits me the most!

Space Grey: Blending in with the crowd, unassuming, ready to do business.

Silver: Classy, bit of a standout, but not obnoxious.

Gold: FABULOUS!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm going Space Grey 32 or 64 GB 5s. After having a white 4s 16GB that I like, I just feel like going back to having my screen bordered by black. I wish it was offered in all black tho.

Quick

Banned
It's definitely a nice looking phone, and I am pretty careful, but I still intend to get a case just for my own peace of mind.

Haha, fair enough. I settled on the official 5S case in the end for that same peace of mind. I went caseless with my 4S, so getting one for my 5S was tough.

Haha, fair enough. I settled on the official 5S case in the end for that same peace of mind. I went caseless with my 4S, so getting one for my 5S was tough.

Yeah, the official cases look pretty good. More and more, though, I think I'm going to try out that SPIGEN I linked; seems it is reviewing pretty favorably for the price.

tsumineko

This thing is totally bonkers...

KyobGGq.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
9 days to go... NINE DAYS!! HYPEEEEEE!

It's either gonna be a silver or space black... Anyone got a solid pic of the silver?

ShowDog

Sooo...I'm returning to iOS after having been away since my old 3G, and was curious on the consensus of the cases for the 5S/5. Is this SPIGEN case a good alternative to something like otterbox? Does anybody have a particular case (protective, not just cosmetic) they think is best?

I've been on caseless Android for a long time now, and am just completely out of the loop...

That case looks great if you plan on throwing it down the stairs. Spigen makes some much smaller cases for normal protection from drops.

CrankyJay

Banned
i got my iphone 5s at an at&t store morning of...only had to wait an hour. they wouldn't let me buy one for my wife because she physically wasn't there, so i had to order hers. They said it would take 30 days to get but they ended up shipping it to my house 3 days later.

Pretty awesome.

Yoshichan

Fuck Sweden. I go to my local store and ask them ANYTHING about the prices, which colors they'll be getting etc and they're just looking down at me. Fuck I want to punch them so badly.

kaskade

So my gold phone is at home and my space gray shipped pretty much right after it so now I have one of them coming tomorrow. I think I'm going to keep the gold though. I feel like resale value is going to be a little better with it. Plus it's new.

fritolay

Got my Smexy White & Silver 5s.

Loving it more than my slate 5. :D

So the people that love the color of their phone, do none of you have a case on it? I don't want to risk damaging mine, and if I put a case on the back colors don't matter. Therefore, I don't get the big color preference unless you use it naked.

Vyer

So the people that love the color of their phone, do none of you have a case on it? I don't want to risk damaging mine, and if I put a case on the back colors don't matter. Therefore, I don't get the big color preference unless you use it naked.

Color preferences also effect the front.

Also, it's not like the case is permanent. I don't really care if other people see my phone, I buy it for me. If I for some reason want to stare at my phone for a while that can be arranged in a couple of seconds. :)

I bought this case for my phone. Wanted something that would prevent impact damage if dropped, but minimal enough to not be ridiculous like an Otterbox or something. It's a super nice contrast with my Silver 5S. I'm also cheap as all hell when it comes to cases because the markup is ridiculous, so the price was right too.

The wait to buy this is getting to be annoying...

I seriously would rather just trade my phone in-store for my future 64GB Silver 5S but the only time I could ever do this is on the weekend.

My 4S is shutting itself off every once in a while or I have to do a hard reset more frequently and it's really driving me crazy right now.

Bah.

iFootball

My company ordered my 16GB Space Gray on Sep 24th from Verizon.... still no update nor shipping date =(

WELL ! I come home and my new iPhone is sitting at the door in its Fedex box LOL!... I guess all I had to do is complain on the Internet

... funny though that I never received a shipping confirmation or anything from Verizon. Great service!

What is the best way to get an unlocked 5s?

I wanted to take advantage of the limited time offer on apples website of interest free financing, but I need the iPhone 5s to be unlocked.

I thought that the T-Mobile one was unlocked but it just says "contract free" and I've read mixed reports online, some saying that it is really unlocked and some saying that you have to get it unlocked from T-Mobile and that they require you to have service with them for 40 days before they will unlock it.

I would actually prefer an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5s because I'm currently using an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 on AIOWireless and everything is working perfectly after a simple carrier update (LTE/HSPA+ data / MMS / Visual Voice Mail) and I'm worried that everything might not work properly with the T-Mobile iPhone 5s since AIOWireless is owned by AT&T

So basically I'm wondering if there is any way to buy an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5s without actually signing up for AT&T service, and if not then is the T-Mobile one listed on Apples webpage store listed as "Contract Free" actually unlocked?

I also read somewhere that if you pay full price for any of them at an Apple Store that they will be unlocked, but that doesn't really make sense to me because whether or not you pay full price or buy one under contract wouldn't they be pulling the iPhones from the same stock at the store?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Well, no. You were streaming videos. You may listen for the audio only, but it is still streaming and playing the video in the background.

..and streaming videos doesn't magically take up less bandwidth than if you were downloading those videos for storage.

kaskade

I say the one thing I'm missing from my GS3 is the screen size. But on the other hand I kind of like how compact the phone feels. Touch ID pretty much works every time.

The only weird thing I hope they change is the initial animation from the unlock. If I want to swipe screens it has to fully finish. That's an iOS 7 issue though. The phone is pretty damn nice though. Gold looks pretty good.

I got a Gold 5S recently, it was an upgrade from a 3G. I feel like I've travelled ten years into the future.

The thing I'm most impressed about weirdly is just how light the phone is, it's amazing.

I called my Apple Store today to see if I could buy an AT&T 5s device only with no service and they said I could, but all they have in stock is the Gold one which I don't want. What are the chances?

Ive been using black ever since the 3GS but I think I'm going to do white / silver this time just to change it up. Never been a fan of gold in general

Double D

I've got a weird situation where I have a dual band router at home, and my 5S will only connect to the 5Ghz band. That's fine until I go to the other side of the house, where the standard band reaches. Any ideas?

NYR

I've got a weird situation where I have a dual band router at home, and my 5S will only connect to the 5Ghz band. That's fine until I go to the other side of the house, where the standard band reaches. Any ideas?
Sounds like a router problem, not a phone problem.

Yoshichan

If I listen to a song on Youtube with only a static image, does it eat as much bandwidth as it would normally do with a video?

Top Bottom