• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I visited my local store and confirmed that they'll have midnight launch for the phone... they said "no", despite sending me a text weeks ago that there will indeed be a midnight launch.

Fuck this shit, now I have to run from work to stand in line in the morning :( IOAsfioashfioashfioashdofgahfoiashfioasgfoasgfasfga

I fucking hate Sweden sometimes

Dead

well not really...yet
Welp, fuck me, finally bought an iphone

32GB 5S Silver.

Somehow it's way more comfortable to type on here than on any previous android phone ive used. Go figure.

Kinda wanted a gold, but with the total lack of stock, plus the fact I was gonna use a case I just went with silver.

Quadratic

Anyone's iPhone 5s not connecting to LTE? I'm on a new plan and I'm not getting any service on the LTE band. Only works in 3G. Wondering if it's a phone issue because I went to my carrier and got 2 SIM cards and it's still not connecting. It should be connecting. It shows LTE but I'm not getting any connectivity.

LtOrange

My Galaxy S2 has been having a ton of issues lately and I feel like it is time for a upgrade. Best Buy has a deal going on where I can trade in my phone and get $100 towards the 5c or 5s. I use my phone for podcasts and reading gaf...that is about it. Is it still worth it to spend the $100 for the 5s or will the 5c work fine for me.

VPhys

My Galaxy S2 has been having a ton of issues lately and I feel like it is time for a upgrade. Best Buy has a deal going on where I can trade in my phone and get $100 towards the 5c or 5s. I use my phone for podcasts and reading gaf...that is about it. Is it still worth it to spend the $100 for the 5s or will the 5c work fine for me.

Personally I think the 5C is for suckers. (and this goes for any budget or "free" phone btw). Considering you are using this device for 2+ years, and are spending something like $2,000 over the life of the contract, get the BEST DEVICE POSSIBLE.

$100 is insignificant in the long run, just look at it as adding $4 to your bill every month.

asdad123

Anyone having problems with signal strength?

Im getting 1-2 bars (circles) in my house, while my dad's 5 is getting 4-5. Also, my wifi strength doesnt seem as strong as my friends iphone 4s at work. In the same spot, he gets the wifi signal, while I cant connect.

Ovid

I don't have a 5S or 5C but if that's all you do on your phone then a 5C will be more than fine.

Personally I think the 5C is for suckers. (and this goes for any budget or "free" phone btw). Considering you are using this device for 2+ years, and are spending something like $2,000 over the life of the contract, get the BEST DEVICE POSSIBLE.

$100 is insignificant in the long run, just look at it as adding $4 to your bill every month.
You logic is flawed. Not everyone buys a phone on contract.

Enco

Unsure whether to get this or the 5 or the Galaxy S4 on contract. Any thoughts?
Do you want something super customisable? Go S4.

Do you want an awesomely quick phone where you can unlock+be in an app in record time? Go 5S.

Do you want a clean OS that isn't fucking ugly and bloated with shit? Go 5S.

Do you want the highest number of quality apps/games? Go 5s.

Do you want a big screen? Go S4.

It really depends on lots of things.

Personally I could never use a phone other than the Nexus/iPhone line. Touch Wiz can go die in hell.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
5S has a better camera in low-light situations, the fingerprint sensor and a more powerful chip that's gonna make it alot more futureproof.

If you value those things...

I value the chip, basically it. Does the S4 support 4g?

Lashley

Between the 5s & S4 then. I basically browse the web on it and enjoy speed, but both can basically do that.

Noema

You logic is flawed. Not everyone buys a phone on contract.

Even off contract I think the 5S is just a much better value. Better camera, fingerprint sensor, better build materials and most important of all, much, much faster SoC. In 3 years the 5S will still be usable. The 5C not so much. For $100 more it's totally worth it.

I just can't think of a situation where getting the 5C is reasonable.

Lashley

Think I've finally made my mind up. Get the S4 as it's cheaper and I can customize it more than the 5s, then when the 2yrs is done and I can upgrade I may get an Iphone again.

Noema

Think I've finally made my mind up. Get the S4 as it's cheaper and I can customize it more than the 5s, then when the 2yrs is done and I can upgrade I may get an Iphone again.

You can't go wrong with either. Both are excellent smartphones.

Cr0wn0

I picked up a 3 pack of tech armor screen protectors on amazon. Glad I did this time around, My 3 year old bit into my wife's phone hard enough that it dented the screen protector. Not sure what it would have done without the protector but it was nice having it.

Finally got a chance to get down to the Apple Store and check these out in person. Space Grey looks fantastic. That's gonna be my choice. The gold is really nice but I still hate the white fronts.

NYR

Finally got a chance to get down to the Apple Store and check these out in person. Space Grey looks fantastic. That's gonna be my choice. The gold is really nice but I still hate the white fronts.

Truth.

Gold is nicer in person, but the white front is gross. Space Grey would be perfection if the touch ID sensor around the button was grey like the back and not black.

DMczaf

Just picked up the last Sprint 32GB Gold at Apple Store. Upgraded from a 32GB 4S. So nice. LTE!

You ain't bout dis life, Ninja Scooter.

Between the 5s & S4 then. I basically browse the web on it and enjoy speed, but both can basically do that.

I'd personally say that if you want to do a lot of gaming on the go then get an 5S, a good handful of games come first to iOS and there are some great iOS only games on the store, plus the horsepower from that new processor sounds really good.

You really don't need a screen protector.

I kind of agree, 1 year of the 5 and I only have one scratch on it which is noticible outdoors but you can't see it when the sunlight is not directly on it, no idea where it came from as I keep it separate to my keys.

My 4g iPod has been through it all and is scratch-less, so is my 2g touch for the most part (the chrome back looks like someone rubbed sand paper over it)

Appleman

Truth.

Gold is nicer in person, but the white front is gross. Space Grey would be perfection if the touch ID sensor around the button was grey like the back and not black.

Yeah, I have no idea why the ring isn't the same shiny grey as the chamfer around the edges... Otherwise it does look fantastic.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just lost my guarantee of winning a 5s because the site that held the tournament got hammered at the last second and fucked it up for me.

I want to fucking headbutt into a wall right now.

Vyer

reposting in here for anyone who missed the cases thread:

I got one of the Luvvitt clearview cases in today. So far I like it, it's very minimal, hard back with a more 'rubbery' bumper around the phone. Definitely going to be a lot easier to see dust or scuffs on the case itself though. Only thing I don't like is you can sort of feel the 'seam' around the back where the hard back and the flexible bumper meet, but it's not that big a deal.

Packaging:

Jv0pxKJ.jpg

Case: (you can see some air bubbles on it that's because it actually comes packaged with a removable film on both the outside and the inside of the back)

vhecT52.jpg

Bumper isn't very intrusive and looks like it will still give you a cushion if it falls face down.

jV0Dg8S.jpg

BggabV0.jpg

o9bUVIq.jpg

wA806M6.jpg

k5wgFJZ.jpg

Going to keep it on for a week or two and see if I want to keep using it.

samven582

What is the best way to get an unlocked 5s?

I wanted to take advantage of the limited time offer on apples website of interest free financing, but I need the iPhone 5s to be unlocked.

I thought that the T-Mobile one was unlocked but it just says "contract free" and I've read mixed reports online, some saying that it is really unlocked and some saying that you have to get it unlocked from T-Mobile and that they require you to have service with them for 40 days before they will unlock it.

I would actually prefer an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5s because I'm currently using an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 on AIOWireless and everything is working perfectly after a simple carrier update (LTE/HSPA+ data / MMS / Visual Voice Mail) and I'm worried that everything might not work properly with the T-Mobile iPhone 5s since AIOWireless is owned by AT&T

So basically I'm wondering if there is any way to buy an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5s without actually signing up for AT&T service, and if not then is the T-Mobile one listed on Apples webpage store listed as "Contract Free" actually unlocked?

I also read somewhere that if you pay full price for any of them at an Apple Store that they will be unlocked, but that doesn't really make sense to me because whether or not you pay full price or buy one under contract wouldn't they be pulling the iPhones from the same stock at the store?
If you buy it from apple it unlocked. However if you buy it from T mobile it lock to them. You have to wait for 40 days to have it unlocked

DMczaf

My home button is not flush with the surrounding glass, its sorta tilted or uneven. There's an edge on top of the home button that I can feel when my thumb is placed on it that is not present on the bottom of the home button. Has anyone else had this?

Yoshichan

FUCK YESSSS! Participated in a game with a chance of winning a 5s

Today got a call THAT I FUCKING WON

:D :D:D!!!!

Yoshichan

The 5S launch has been a bit of a roller coaster for you, huh?

congrats on the new phone!
Abit? It's been the most fucked up launch of any device - all time. So So SOOOO happy that I'll finally be able to get it now... In 96 hours... HYPEEEE

Top Bottom