• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

kaskade

reposting in here for anyone who missed the cases thread:

I got one of the Luvvitt clearview cases in today. So far I like it, it's very minimal, hard back with a more 'rubbery' bumper around the phone. Definitely going to be a lot easier to see dust or scuffs on the case itself though. Only thing I don't like is you can sort of feel the 'seam' around the back where the hard back and the flexible bumper meet, but it's not that big a deal.

Going to keep it on for a week or two and see if I want to keep using it.

I have the same case. I really like that it preserves the look of the phone. The back cover isn't really scratching easily so it seems like it should hold up pretty well. Barely adds any bulk as well.

I've contemplated the idea of going naked and just buying a bulker drunk case. Seems like I tend to drop my phone mostly when drunk. If I know I'm going out just but on the gross case but I know it'll be safe.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Abit? It's been the most fucked up launch of any device - all time. So So SOOOO happy that I'll finally be able to get it now... In 96 hours... HYPEEEE

There's nothing different from this launch compared to last year's launch apart from Apple not releasing the exact launch date during the presentation for wave 2 countries. You just love creating mountains out of thin air. :p
Grats on the phoon.

Picked up a Gold 16GB yesterday, only payed 30 out of pocket after my trade in. Loving it so far but not so sure on the color. Asked the guy before buying if I wasn't sold on the color if I could bring it back and he said I could within 14 days so I may go back for a gray one. Going to give it a few days though and see how it is. It is really not that gaudy or anything.

I think it's just the fact that I have always had a black phone so I am just getting adjusted. Fast phone though and so light compared to my 4S.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There's nothing different from this launch compared to last year's launch apart from Apple not releasing the exact launch date during the presentation for wave 2 countries. You just love creating mountains out of thin air. :p
Grats on the phoon.
I wouldn't know because this is my first Apple launch I've followed :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is Yoshi. He never met a subject he couldn't drown in hyperbole.
How does OT-GAF know about this anyway. Sheesh, I'm even keeping a (kinda) low profile around these parts...

Yoshichan

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Does Siri only work 1/4 times for anyone else?

Weird audio subsystem bug that can only be resolved with phone restarts?

Apps on the phone that don't show up until I go into update?

I did a restore this shit is still happening. I'm going to take my phone to the apple store. I honestly have no clue what is going on. These bugs seem like software bugs but I don't believe everyone is experiencing them.

Does Siri only work 1/4 times for anyone else?

Weird audio subsystem bug that can only be resolved with phone restarts?

Apps on the phone that don't show up until I go into update?

I did a restore this shit is still happening. I'm going to take my phone to the apple store. I honestly have no clue what is going on. These bugs seem like software bugs but I don't believe everyone is experiencing them.

Sounds like an issue with the phone, never had that on my iPhone or iPad.

gimmmick

With the new ipads getting the A7 chip, it's probably safe to say that the 5s will be supported for well over 2 years when it comes to optimization with IOS updates.

Alchemy

With the new ipads getting the A7 chip, it's probably safe to say that the 5s will be supported for well over 2 years when it comes to optimization with IOS updates.

I think iOS support for older devices is going to be pretty good from now on, considering Apple is still selling the iPad 2.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So we got a new ios version with a bunch of fixes

This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

- Adds iCloud Keychain to keep track of your account names, passwords, and credit card numbers across all your approved devices
- Adds Password Generator so Safari can suggest unique, hard-to-guess passwords for your online accounts
- Updates lock screen to delay display of "slide to unlock" when Touch ID is in use
- Adds back the ability to search the web and Wikipedia from Spotlight search
- Fixes an issue where iMessage failed to send for some users
- Fixes a bug that could prevent iMessage from activating
- Improves system stability when using iWork apps
- Fixes an accelerometer calibration issue
- Addresses an issue that could cause Siri and VoiceOver to use a lower quality voice
- Fixes a bug that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode
- Enhances the Reduce Motion setting to minimize both motion and animation
- Fixes an issue that could cause VoiceOver input to be too sensitive
- Updates the Bold Text setting to also change dial pad text
- Fixes an issue that could cause supervised devices to become un-supervised when updating software

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1657444

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So we got a new ios version with a bunch of fixes

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1657444

Downloading now. Looks like some very good changes.

edit: finished updating.

This change is very nice: - Updates lock screen to delay display of "slide to unlock" when Touch ID is in use

You can now just click the home button and leave your thumb in position with Touch ID turned on and you'll unlock the phone almost instantly. Very smooth.

Dead

well not really...yet
Downloading now. Looks like some very good changes.

edit: finished updating.

This change is very nice: - Updates lock screen to delay display of "slide to unlock" when Touch ID is in use

You can now just click the home button and leave your thumb in position with Touch ID turned on and you'll unlock the phone almost instantly. Very smooth.
you could do that even before this update

Yoshichan

In less than 24 hours now :D:D:D:D:SNHfioashfiohasfasfgasdfgasf

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
you could do that even before this update

It took a lot longer before. In fact, and this may be a problem with my phone, but a lot of the time it wouldn't recognize my thumb if I didn't remove it once and put it back on the sensor after the lock screen appeared.

Now it's a simple thumb press, release pressure but leave thumb in place, and I'm in my phone within a few milliseconds of the screen coming on.

Just updated, not liking the new all or nothing for the motions effects. I liked it before when it only turned off the parallax and kept the zoom transitions. The zooms just feel more intuitive to me visually. I wish there were separate options to turn on and off the zoom and parallax effects as I want to keep my zoom and just rid the parallax. Other than that I don't notice anything else different yet.

bionic77

Any apps that actually take advantage of the crazy speed on the 5S?

The biggest difference I have seen is in the photo app, which takes pictures at an insane rate if you are not careful.

I actually liked the animations in iOS7, but good God does turning them off make everything feel twice as fast.

Extra battery life is just the cherry on top.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I actually liked the animations in iOS7, but good God does turning them off make everything feel twice as fast.

Extra battery life is just the cherry on top.

I want the fade effect with parallax. Something really neat about having apps fade into view rather than 'cards' flying/morphing into view.

/wishful thinking. :)

Yoshichan

18 hours to go... OMG!!!!

Yoshichan

~7 FUCKING HOURS TO GO

I'm more hyped than ever now because I read that with the latest iOS update, you can disable all that slow transition when opening stuff!

Oh my GOD DAT HYPEEEE

Majine

Banned
~7 FUCKING HOURS TO GO

I'm more hyped than ever now because I read that with the latest iOS update, you can disable all that slow transition when opening stuff!

Oh my GOD DAT HYPEEEE

I thought you won a phone, why does midnight matter? Aren't they sending you it?

flyover

Are these available to buy just by walking in a store now?

If you're in the US, you can put together a configuration here:
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s

After you've picked a color and model/provider, click on the little "Check Availability" link on the right-hand side of the page. There, you can see if any nearby stores have it in stock.

So far, no place near me (Chicago area) has the one I want -- or even similar variants. (At least according to the site.)

entremet

Theyve been like that here at our local apple stores since launch.

I'm in NYC, which is a clusterfuck due to the density.

After you've picked a color and model/provider, click on the little "Check Availability" link on the right-hand side of the page. There, you can see if any nearby stores have it in stock.

So far, no place near me (Chicago area) has the one I want -- or even similar variants. (At least according to the site.)

Thanks!

Yoshichan

I thought you won a phone, why does midnight matter? Aren't they sending you it?
They are sending a person over to my place with the phone!

nEPMxai.jpg

HYPEEEEEEEE

Lima

Was at the genius bar in CentrO Oberhausen today. Brought in my black 64GB iPhone 5 for a repair since the battery has some weird issues. It drained way too quickly and always died with 8-9% battery left.

The Apple dude tells me that they will exchange the phone right here in the store. He walks to the the back and after some time passed he came back with bad news. They don't have a black 64gb right now. He then offers me a white 64gb 5. I really don't like the white one so I declined that offer.
He said I should wait a couple of minutes and makes a call and then hands me a space gray 64gb 5S.

You know sometimes I just love this company.

flyover

Was at the genius bar in CentrO Oberhausen today. Brought in my black 64GB iPhone 5 for a repair since the battery has some weird issues. It drained way too quickly and always died with 8-9% battery left.

The Apple dude tells me that they will exchange the phone right here in the store. He walks to the the back and after some time passed he came back with bad news. They don't have a black 64gb right now. He then offers me a white 64gb 5. I really don't like the white one so I declined that offer.
He said I should wait a couple of minutes and makes a call and then hands me a space gray 64gb 5S.

You know sometimes I just love this company.

Damn. That's really cool. Congrats.

Sweet, I can now grab one here either in San Francisco or in the surrounding Apple Stores (hell, even at home). I just need to hold out until after Thanksgiving for my silver 5s as it's either the phone or my ps4 (even after I trade in my 4s towards the 5s).

Just in case anyone else was wondering I can confirm that if you buy a 5s "device only" with no service from the Apple Store then it will indeed be unlocked.

I got my white/silver 32GB AT&T model today, told them I want the device only with no service, took it home popped in my AIOWireless sim card and turned it on and everything seems to be working fine.

I have tried my AIOWireless sim before in an AT&T iPhone 5 that I knew was locked and it would not work.

entremet

Yeah no dice :(

2-3 weeks in all NYC area stores. Sucks.

Top Bottom