• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I wonder what happens to Yoshi if there's a dead pixel...
Dude, that happens and chaos will happen... FIFTEEN MORE MINUTES!!!!!

Returned mine a few days ago after almost a month of use. I'm back on my 4s now. I wasn't happy with the motion chip problems and the camera underwhelmed me (along with some other software related issues). I decided I'll just wait for the 6.

Dead

well not really...yet
For some reason I'm unable to log in to YouTube or Google maps with the same account I just used to log on to chrome... Wth

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Has anyone else had problems their iTunes music library to the 5s?

I updated to the newest version of iTunes but for some reason more than half of my songs are just being seen as "Other" and not syncing

I have my iTunes set to sync all checked songs which is how I've always had it and I've never had this problem

the only thing I can think of is upgrading from iTunes 10 something did not carry over properly so I might have to manually add all my songs into my iTunes again, but I hope that is not the case cause that would be a major pain in the ass

Yoshichan

This is the craziest phone in existance

Never been this happy with a new device

Everything so sharp and fast, fuck meee

Upgraded from 4 to 5s

Got mine 2 weeks ago. So far I'm really pleased with the phone. The battery life would be my only complaint, but then again the iPhone 5 battery was not so good either.

Cr0wn0

Got mine 2 weeks ago. So far I'm really pleased with the phone. The battery life would be my only complaint, but then again the iPhone 5 battery was not so good either.

My battery life is insane, I'm at 5 hours use 15 hours standby and I still have 49% left.

Yoshichan

Yeah I am so fucking happy. This beast is INSANE in so many levels. So fast, slick and beautiful! OMG

Danneee

Just got my order in for one space black 16gb (been using a 32gb iPhone 4 the last few years and never needed that much space, the performance upgrade will be welcome though). Hopefully it will arrive next week..

god, did the night shift at Telia in Sweden yesterday, worked from 9am to 3am. not that psyched to be on my way back now.

but I got to say.

damn, that phone. my Android days will soon be behind me.

iFootball

Yeah I am so fucking happy. This beast is INSANE in so many levels. So fast, slick and beautiful! OMG

Hey Yoshi, congrats on the new iPhone... I also moved from a 4 to a 5s and the difference is HUGE, very happy as well... I just wanted to quote myself from the other thread share my experience with battery life, hope this helps to those coming into a new 5s:

I just wanted to add ... my 5s had worst battery life than my old 4, basically lasting around 16 hrs of regular use (vs basically 24 hrs on my 4)... after I disabled "Background App Refresh", and turned motion off after 7.0.3 my phone has gone almost 2 days without a charge

I thought I'd share this...

and by the way (like others have mentioned) while I liked the Parallax effect, I definitely like the new fade-out more as everything seems faster, so I'm keeping motion disabled

Yoshichan

Thanks for sharing that info man!

Tabris

Sell on craigslist. I've been able to get a new phone for essentially nothing a year.

1st Year - 2 year contract phone $299 + taxes, Sell my current phone for $500~, Pay $50 to Carrier to unlock phone
2nd Year - Unlocked phone $820 + taxes, Sell the last phone for ~500

Essentially averaging it out it ends up being like $100 a year.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I wanted to wait for the 6, but my trusty old 4 is on its last legs.

I abused the fuck outta it using wireless radio for hours and hours and the battery can barely hold a charge.

It became available on the carriers today (im outside the tier 1 countries) and just signed it.

I wanted to wait for the 6, but my trusty old 4 is on its last legs.

I abused the fuck outta it using wireless radio for hours and hours and the battery can barely hold a charge.

It became available on the carriers today (im outside the tier 1 countries) and just signed it.

5s will last you a long time, even the current 5 and 5c are still great phones, so go get one :D

Yoshichan

Been using 5s all day with highest brightness. 70% battery left.

So. Fucking. Good!

Yoshichan

How is that possible? Did you get the battery boost edition?
Nope! Three calls (like 2 minutes each), constant imessaging and constantly checking the time + browse GAF every hour or so.

Yoshichan

And why the heck is browsing everything so much faster on my 5s? Iphone 4 was fast imo, but this is crazy! CPU speed can't possibly increase my internet speed... So what's going on here?

Yoshichan

It's also using LTE network.
Yeah I've wondered what the heck that is. Sometimes it says that I have 3g, sometimes it says LTE... What exactly is it?

Mr.Ock

FINALLY. It arrived today.... and I don't have the nanoSIM. I had ordered it from the Vodafone site a while ago, I thought it would have arrived before the phone :(

That said, I was worried Space Gray would be too light compared to Slate. It's not, it's fantastic, in my opinion! And boy does it feel lighter in the hand compared to the 4S!

Prozel

It switches depending on network reception, LTE is definitely much faster, when it can't find it, it'll go down to 4G then 3G and worse, Edge.

LTE is considered 4G in (I assume) Sweden, at least it is in Denmark. HSPA+ (4G to some in the US) is just 3G here, though it uses a H-logo on some phones.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
5s will last you a long time, even the current 5 and 5c are still great phones, so go get one :D

Hope so!

Friend of mine has the 5 and I can't get over how slim and light it is. Of course he's got it inside an otterbox case that makes it super bulky hah =/

I'm thinking about picking one of the official leather cases, but there's bad word through the grapevine. What's the deal with those?

Blackhead

Redarse
Hope so!

Friend of mine has the 5 and I can't get over how slim and light it is. Of course he's got it inside an otterbox case that makes it super bulky hah =/

I'm thinking about picking one of the official leather cases, but there's bad word through the grapevine. What's the deal with those?

They are always ripoffs. Apple execs themselves would be the first to admit that they don't use cases on their iPhones.

Speaking of cases I have been case free for about 2 months now, only 3 marks on the phone in total and one of those is on the front, but I never like to use screen protectors.

The case I used was a hard rubber style smoke grey case, I wanted something non chunky which gave me some grip, it's a great case and only cost about £5 on amazon.co.uk

oPwqL.png

Yoshichan

Wait, are you from Sweden Yoshi?
Yes damnit! Everyone on GAF knows this by now! :3

Also, comparing super heavy sites, 3g vs LTE... 8 seconds to load, compared to 2 seconds. Fucking crazy.

Mr Swine

Banned
Yes damnit! Everyone on GAF knows this by now! :3

Also, comparing super heavy sites, 3g vs LTE... 8 seconds to load, compared to 2 seconds. Fucking crazy.

Well I didn't know -_-
sverige gaf är bäst ;)

Yeah it's insane how much faster LTE is compared to 3G, can't wait to see how much faster the next wireless connection is

Yoshichan

So does LTE make my hotspot faster as well? As in, if I connect my laptop to my 5s LTE network, will my laptop be quicker than 3g hotspot?

SmoothCB

Any reasonable way to upload slo mo videos to facebook? It seems to just upload and then play at regular speed.

Slo mo is awesome

**Solved. Shared it on icloud then uploaded from my pc. Ensures HD that way too.**

Yoshichan

Of course. Your computer will seem like it’s on fast wifi
Jesus that's awesome... Here's hoping my laptop doesn't drop connection every 5 minutes while playing games now... Always hates that with hotspot. Maybe LTE fixes that.

Yoshichan

nwGvtlR.png

I had 5mbit download 1mbit upload with 3g. What a huuuuge frikkin' upgrade. LTE is the craziest shit ever

Magnus

Does Siri only work 1/4 times for anyone else?

Weird audio subsystem bug that can only be resolved with phone restarts?

Apps on the phone that don't show up until I go into update?

I did a restore this shit is still happening. I'm going to take my phone to the apple store. I honestly have no clue what is going on. These bugs seem like software bugs but I don't believe everyone is experiencing them.

I mean, it launches and all, but it has to be the absolute worst voice recognition software I've ever used. Sometimes it doesn't even pick up my words correctly, never mind not knowing what to do with them. Very often it takes longer than 5-10 seconds to actually do anything with my request. Almost totally useless.

Siri is amazing for me. I have an English rural/country accent and it understands me 100% of the time and is very fast too. I use it daily now and it's one of my favourite features of the phone.

Siri is amazing for me. I have an English rural/country accent and it understands me 100% of the time and is very fast too. I use it daily now and it's one of my favourite features of the phone.

Similar experience for me. I have sort of a vaguely southern US but ultimately quite regular voice and it works fine these days. Any issues I've ever had were more due to poor connectivity.

gamma

Was watching thursdays Colbert Report and starting at 19:45 Colbert and Fry do some Twitter thing but you can see that when he tries to unlock his 5S it doesn't recognize his print and eventually asks for the pin :D

Also, Fry has a gold 5S lol

My 5S and has been draining battery like crazy.

Looking at usage,

Time since last charge:

Usage = 13hours, 31mins
Standby = 13hours, 37mins

Something is clearly wrong. Leaving the phone overnight drains it from 100% charge to about 60% in the morning without my touching it. Any ideas?

Top Bottom