• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Going to upgrade from a 4s to the 5s I think. Undecided as to which colour to go for though

Enco

My 5S and has been draining battery like crazy.

Looking at usage,

Time since last charge:

Usage = 13hours, 31mins
Standby = 13hours, 37mins

Something is clearly wrong. Leaving the phone overnight drains it from 100% charge to about 60% in the morning without my touching it. Any ideas?
You get 13 hours of usage from a charge? Wat?

mrkgoo

My 5S and has been draining battery like crazy.

Looking at usage,

Time since last charge:

Usage = 13hours, 31mins
Standby = 13hours, 37mins

Something is clearly wrong. Leaving the phone overnight drains it from 100% charge to about 60% in the morning without my touching it. Any ideas?

One clue might come from which apps are using the most data (check 3G data usage), and which apps page location the most often (check location services under privacy, and don't forget to check system services).

I noticed that my battery drain went down from ioS6, but improved later. Could be frequent locations stopped paging as often, could be an update, could me using it less.

I also noticed the battery drop is no longer as linear (it never was, but it's less so now), it takes a lot longer to drop down to 90 than it does from 90-80. Maybe thy tweaked it a little to stop people freaking out :0p

I also noticed the battery drop is no longer as linear (it never was, but it's less so now), it takes a lot longer to drop down to 90 than it does from 90-80. Maybe thy tweaked it a little to stop people freaking out :0p

For me it is the other way around. It stays at 100% forever and than just skids down to 90% and afterwards it seems fairly linear. But it is still new and needs more testing

iFootball

Disabling "Background App Refresh" under Settings -> General did the trick for me... also, try to close unused apps every once in a while, disable bluetooth if not used, etc.

One clue might come from which apps are using the most data (check 3G data usage), and which apps page location the most often (check location services under privacy, and don't forget to check system services).

I noticed that my battery drain went down from ioS6, but improved later. Could be frequent locations stopped paging as often, could be an update, could me using it less.

Disabling "Background App Refresh" under Settings -> General did the trick for me... also, try to close unused apps every once in a while, disable bluetooth if not used, etc.

Did a hard reset last night and didn't touch the phone. went to bed. woke up at it's 70%.

Tonight, i'll charge it to 100, disable background app refresh and then do another hard reset.

If that doesn't work, it's going to Apple.

For the past few days both of the times under 'time since last full charge' have been the same (it'll read 8hrs 20mins for both usage and standby for example). Anybody know what's happening?

mrkgoo

Did a hard reset last night and didn't touch the phone. went to bed. woke up at it's 70%.

Tonight, i'll charge it to 100, disable background app refresh and then do another hard reset.

For the past few days both of the times under 'time since last full charge' have been the same (it'll read 8hrs 20mins for both usage and standby for example). Anybody know what's happening?

Looks like it could be this manufacturing defect:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/29/...cturing-defect-causing-iphone-5s-battery-woes

I'd see if you can exchange the phone (if there are replacements in stock).

Seems like there are some issues with some iPhone 5S batteries. It could be your issues aren't related, but here's your chance to go get replacements, I guess.

Jo, have you got something runnign in background? Or is your sleep screen disabled? Basically, the 'usage' time is active time since last charge, and a subset of total time, which is the standby time. SO if they match, it means your phone is operating the entire time. Do you always have something playing, for example?

Vyer

Thought this was an interesting note in that Anand iPad Air review:

You can see the 5s throttles back its CPU frequency to about 1GHz after the 2 minute mark. The crazy thing is that until that point the 5s manages to run at full frequency without so much as a hiccup for two full minutes, running an incredibly power hungry task. Given that most iOS apps aren’t this power intensive for such a sustained period of time, iPhone 5s users should almost always see the A7 running at a full 1.3GHz. Pretty crazy.

Jo, have you got something runnign in background? Or is your sleep screen disabled? Basically, the 'usage' time is active time since last charge, and a subset of total time, which is the standby time. SO if they match, it means your phone is operating the entire time. Do you always have something playing, for example?

I had background refresh turned off on everything except the Nike+ Running app. Turning it off on this has changed the times. It's strange though as that app has been running in the background since I first got the phone and this issue only began occurring a couple of days ago so I really think something else is the cause..... although it IS okay now.
Hmmmmm.

Danneee

Mine drains about 5-6% overnight, with all battery saving tips in this thread.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This phone is still impressing me. Faster speed than my computer and insanely faster Internet than my home connection.

Soooo good.

Oppo

Just found this:

"Compared to most other formats, Apple Lossless is not as difficult to decode, making it practical for a limited-power device, such as an iPod."

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/audio/30000lti00201/internet-delivery-formats/ch12lev1sec3

Now, I know this means that data "on phone" will take less power to decode, but what about bluetooth streaming? I'd assume a larger filesize would take more power to send, but I don't know.

That's correct. The Apple ALE format is not dissimilar to the old IMA 4:1 compressor.

Compression for both audio and video rely on CPU strength to achieve better filesize through compression. If the file is less compressed, or uncompressed, there is no decoding necessary, so it logically becomes "lighter". However the file size goes way, way up, which can cause it's own strain on the system, depending on the circumstances...

Short answer: a CD track, which is essentially lossless (I know, caveats) is around 50-80 megabytes. I wouldn't want to shove that through Bluetooth.

Yoshichan[This phone is still impressing me. Faster speed than my computer and insanely faster Internet than my home connection. Soooo good.[/quote said:
Check out Sky Guide on the 5S. I think it uses the new motion co-proc. The tracking is solid. Like, magic. Plus the app is super cool. I used to dream of having things like this when I was a kid.

Deku Tree

Wait when did I lose the ability to sync my bookmarks between my Mac and my iPhone 5S via iTunes sync? The option is no longer available in iTunes as far as I can see...

SmoothCB

Uploaded a 5s slo mo video to youtube if anyone's interested. Real trippy!!!

Click the image to check it out.

The video is part of a photo shoot I did in preparation for introducing "the west" to a new style of Chinese art.

CrankyJay

Banned
Uploaded a 5s slo mo video to youtube if anyone's interested. Real trippy!!!

Click the image to check it out.

The video is part of a photo shoot I did in preparation for introducing "the west" to a new style of Chinese art.

How do you get it to upload in slo mo ?

I still haven't actually seen a gold in person, though I'd imagine they are up on display in Apple Stores now.

Yeah, they've been on display since day one. Expect stock to improve starting now. Whatever held up the lines (maybe investigating the battery drain issue) seems to have been fixed.

Jarnet87

My 5 started acting up the past couple days. out of nowhere the call volume got super low. It's fine everywhere else (speaker, ring and text volume). So now I gotta deal with the nightmare that is apple store.

Today I tried calling for an appointment, told I can only book online. So I try to book an appointment and the website is having errors so can't process. So I call the store again saying hey your terrible website isn't working can I book an appointment with you on the phone (what a strange concept) and they say sorry your just gonna have to try later. I think I'll be eligible for an upgrade in March, think I'm done with my Iphone, and all apple products except the ipod lol.

Enco

Woke up and noticed that my 5S has faint white stripes when viewing dark backgrounds. After a while the stripes faded but any sort of firm touch creates the LCD ripple on both sides of the screen.

Back to Apple I go. Setting things up again will be a pain. Especially mobile banking.

Vyer

My 5 started acting up the past couple days. out of nowhere the call volume got super low. It's fine everywhere else (speaker, ring and text volume). So now I gotta deal with the nightmare that is apple store.

Today I tried calling for an appointment, told I can only book online. So I try to book an appointment and the website is having errors so can't process. So I call the store again saying hey your terrible website isn't working can I book an appointment with you on the phone (what a strange concept) and they say sorry your just gonna have to try later. I think I'll be eligible for an upgrade in March, think I'm done with my Iphone, and all apple products except the ipod lol.

What's wrong with the website? Looks like it's up and working here. Apple.com/retail, pick your state and store, genius bar and time and that's about it.

It sucks having to go to support to begin with, but if you have an Apple store near you, you're not going to find a much better process that doesn't involve shipping it off or dealing with 'geek squad' or the like.

Edit: you also might want to just make it through your phone/app.

Is there a way to disable the unlock passcode when you're at certain locations on this thing? The fingerprint sensor works pretty well, but it becomes less useful when you're trying to access app-specific notifications and have to enter your passcode because you tried to unlock the notification.

Enco

Is there a way to disable the unlock passcode when you're at certain locations on this thing? The fingerprint sensor works pretty well, but it becomes less useful when you're trying to access app-specific notifications and have to enter your passcode because you tried to unlock the notification.
If you try unlock the notification, your finger print should still be detected in the pin entry screen.

And no, there's no way. Maybe with a jailbreak.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yeah, is there a reason that with a PIN, you can make it so it only asks for a password after 15 minutes of inactivity? That was great when texting. Send a text. Put phone to sleep. Two minutes later get a text. Unlock it. No password needed.

Now having a conversation is kind of a pain, cause TouchID is required at EVERY unlock.

Enco

Yeah, is there a reason that with a PIN, you can make it so it only asks for a password after 15 minutes of inactivity? That was great when texting. Send a text. Put phone to sleep. Two minutes later get a text. Unlock it. No password needed.

Now having a conversation is kind of a pain, cause TouchID is required at EVERY unlock.
TouchID is almost instant for me. Faster than swiping.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
TouchID is almost instant for me. Faster than swiping.

Same for me. Except when you want to swipe to open a notification. If I have a text on the old system I can swipe and it brings me straight to the message.

On the 5S, I swipe and then have to touch to unlock. Extra step that only works 90% of the time.

Not a huge deal; but seems silly to force it.

Quick

Banned
Same for me. Except when you want to swipe to open a notification. If I have a text on the old system I can swipe and it brings me straight to the message.

On the 5S, I swipe and then have to touch to unlock. Extra step that only works 90% of the time.

Not a huge deal; but seems silly to force it.

Or, you could swipe and just type your passcode. Probably quicker than swipe, then placing your finger on the Touch ID sensor.

You don't have to swipe. Just place your finger on the home button and it unlocks. Easy as pie.

I've started just using the home button to wake it up and then after the click I just rest my thumb on home for a half-second while it bypasses the lock screen completely.

rbanke

Can anyone recommend a very thin/light case similar but better than the Otterbox Commuter series? I've used the commuters but their quality has gone far downhill. I'm looking at the Incipio feather & dualpro, but wondering if there is something else better. Do those very thin snap on cases actually offer much protection?

Red

I played around with TouchID on my wife's 5S. It is like magic. Besides LTE that's the biggest day-to-day improvement over my 4S.

Can anyone recommend a very thin/light case similar but better than the Otterbox Commuter series? I've used the commuters but their quality has gone far downhill. I'm looking at the Incipio feather & dualpro, but wondering if there is something else better. Do those very thin snap on cases actually offer much protection?

I am currently using this one and like it a lot:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E486SQE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It barely adds any bulk to the phone and you can still see the design of the iPhone itself

the sides are a TPU material with just the right amount of lay-on-the-table design and the back is clear plastic.

It comes with a couple inserts that you can put in the back to give your phone a different look but I threw those away because the back of the iPhone itself looks a lot better than those inserts in my opinion.

it also comes with a screen protector, which Spigens screen protectors are pretty good but I have moved on to using glass screen protectors.

Spigen also makes one called the Slim Armor that I used with the iPhone 5 that was decent, but I'm liking the Ultra Hybrid for now. It might offer slightly more protection than the Ultra Hybrid because the TPU material surrounds the iPhone and then a separate plastic shell snaps on the back, but it is still not very bulky. They come in a variety of colors:
http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-5s/iphone-5-5s-case-slim-armor-s.html

Llyranor

If say I turn on airplane mode and turn off all the apps, could I theoretically prolong the battery's life for a few days if I just use it as a camera somewhere where I wouldn't have access to a charger?

Alternatively, is there some kind of good portable charger that doesn't require an electrical plug?

asdad123

I'm thinking my iPhone might be one of those affected by the battery defect.

I unplugged it at 7 am,and by 3 pm it was at 8%. Usage time was about 3.5 hours. Is that about normal?

Husker86

If say I turn on airplane mode and turn off all the apps, could I theoretically prolong the battery's life for a few days if I just use it as a camera somewhere where I wouldn't have access to a charger?

Alternatively, is there some kind of good portable charger that doesn't require an electrical plug?

Airplane mode will extend your battery life to several days (weeks on standby).

There are a lot of portable battery chargers that are essentially just big batteries.

Here is one of many choices:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009USAJCC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tried to trade in my mom's iPhone 4s. Mind you, my mother has had her phone in a case for 2 years, and has had a screen protector for more than a year.

Best Buy said it's in "poor" condition. WTF

Ambitious

Goddammit, not a single store here has 5S models to try out. Even the biggest, most popular store won't receive any before mid of November. I just want to compare them in person because I can't decide between Space Grey and Silver..

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Just got a call from Apple saying my 5s' serial number falls into one of a small percentage that have a battery flaw. Set up for me to take it in and switch it out tomorrow. Has anyone else heard of calls like this?

Top Bottom