• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

mrkgoo

Just got a call from Apple saying my 5s' serial number falls into one of a small percentage that have a battery flaw. Set up for me to take it in and switch it out tomorrow. Has anyone else heard of calls like this?

I've heard that they are doing that for the 5s battery issue.

icespide

Banned
Just got a call from Apple saying my 5s' serial number falls into one of a small percentage that have a battery flaw. Set up for me to take it in and switch it out tomorrow. Has anyone else heard of calls like this?

did the call show up as "Unknown"? I missed a call yesterday from Unknown and now I'm wondering if it may have been this

Pointless, in my opinion. I never put a screen protector on my 4S and it still doesn't have a scratch on it.

I don't have a screen protector on my ipad (just the apple cover) and it's been fine but I'm worried that since the phone is always in my pocket, all the accumulated dust and lint would end up introducing minor scratches into the screen or am I just being paranoid?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't have a screen protector on my ipad (just the apple cover) and it's been fine but I'm worried that since the phone is always in my pocket, all the accumulated dust and lint would end up introducing minor scratches into the screen or am I just being paranoid?
Paranoid. :)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Unless you're keeping your phone in the same pocket as your keys or something, you have nothing to worry about. They use heavy-duty glass.

J-Rod

I like the screen protectors myself. I attribute them to getting the "like new" trade in rating on both me and my wife's 4S's that we used for over 2 years. I put them on right out of the box after removing the factory protector that way it remains immaculate underneath.

gimmmick

I'm a true believer that the iphone 5s can replace your point and shoot camera that you have had for the past couple of years. I had my canon powershot s95 ready to go but as I started to take a couple of pictures and checked them out, I was pretty satisfied with the results and used my 5s as my go to camera for the rest of the trip. I took a couple of pics of to showcase the highs and lows of the camera's optics in different situations.

True tone flash works wonders when lighting isn't good at where you are shooting.

Macro shot

Pano shot of o_O Coliseum before the raider's got ass raped by Nick Foles.

Surprised how well the low light performance was with a cell phone camera.

mf.luder

Just took my Apple 5S case off and feeling the sleek back of my silver phone is god tier. The back and chamfered edges are fucking awesome.

Quick

Banned
Just took my Apple 5S case off and feeling the sleek back of my silver phone is god tier. The back and chamfered edges are fucking awesome.

I might go back to going caseless. My phone already has a small scratch on the side, so that took away the pristine look.

So I take back a little on what I said about Sprint's network sucking. Areas where I thought didn't have 4G apparently have LTE which my previous phone lacked an antenna for (WiMax being the highest). Being able to watch videos throughout my morning bus commute is just godly.

Ended up getting the speck candyshell & faceplate. Case is more compact than I expected.

spk-a2419_candyshell_faceplate-for-iphone5s-pomodororedblack_3qfrontstraightback_1.jpg

Still waiting on phone, though :|

Ordered the Slim Armor S. Wasn't overly pricey (less than $20 on Amazon) and seemed to get decent reviews. I just needed something for the gym and occasional trip and this one seemed to have a nice balance of aesthetics and protection.

parasight

Ordered the Slim Armor S. Wasn't overly pricey (less than $20 on Amazon) and seemed to get decent reviews. I just needed something for the gym and occasional trip and this one seemed to have a nice balance of aesthetics and protection.

That's the case I've been using. Really nice, but got a scratch on the plastic back cover pretty early on. Just make sure you're careful with it, as it can still scratch.

flyover

I hate cases, but I keep my phone in the same pocket as my keys.

I saw these little pouches at American Science and Surplus, and they're all I've used for years:
QzaZuTY.jpg

I keep the pouch in my pocket, and keep the phone in the pouch. It's like a pocket inside my pocket. Best 15 cents I ever spent. (or $2 for a 15-pack online)

http://www.sciplus.com/p/LARGE-CLOTH-BAG_33798

chunk3rvd

Dropped my 64GB 4S a few months back and cracked all of the glass on the back. Even lost a chunk of the case so the insides could be seen :/ I was also suffering from major battery issues and intermittent 3G reception. I'm due for an upgrade now so to increase the resale value I thought I'd see what my insurance would offer and now they're sending me a replacement handset tomorrow (for a £50 excess fee). I figured a new handset would be worth at least £50 more than my cracked and gimped one so it seems worth the excess fee

My plan now is to upgrade to a 64GB 5S and sell the replacement handset on eBay to mitigate the cost of the handset upgrade. Looks like I could come evens (or even make profit) on the whole deal as long as I can get at least £255 for my replacement handset

Just wondering if GAF can advise me what steps I should take to back up as much as possible from my cracked handset before the insurance company collects it from me tomorrow?

I don't think my music can be backed up as I don't sync my library with iTunes. I'll copy all my photos and videos to my laptop. Can I retain all my contacts, notes, text messages etc? If so, how do I go about this? I'm guessing I should make a list of all the apps I have installed so I can re-download them on the new handset?

Also, is there anything I should do to ensure security? Anything to make sure no personal details are left on the phone? Any advice from someone that has been through the same process would be appreciated

Oh - I have 2 MAME apps that are no longer available on the store (iMAME and Gridlee). Anything I can do to make sure I keep those as well? Not a deal breaker if I can't but would be nice to keep one/both of them

Lima

I don't think my music can be backed up as I don't sync my library with iTunes. I'll copy all my photos and videos to my laptop. Can I retain all my contacts, notes, text messages etc? If so, how do I go about this? I'm guessing I should make a list of all the apps I have installed so I can re-download them on the new handset?

Also, is there anything I should do to ensure security? Anything to make sure no personal details are left on the phone? Any advice from someone that has been through the same process would be appreciated

Do you use iCloud?

If so just make a backup and restore that on the 5S. It will download all of your apps automatically and all your contacts, notes etc will be there.

If you don't use iCloud, just connect the phone to your PC and make a backup using iTunes. Same thing when you get the 5S, restore from backup and all your stuff will be there.
To wipe the phone you just go to settings -> general and scroll down to the bottom where it says reset. Choose Erase all content and settings and the phone will be wiped clean.

The apps that are not on the store anymore won't be backed up by iCloud but you can easily snyc them again from your iTunes app library.

jfkgoblue

I just got my 5s last week and coming from the 4, it is a huge upgrade, but I seem to be having a slight issue with the touch ID, it seems to take a couple of tries to recognize my fingerprint, but it does eventually do it. It's strange because when I first got the phone, it worked fine , but now it is working ~50% of the time, all I saw to do was delete and redo the saved fingerprint but that only helps for a little while, before the issue arises again

neoism

so guys is there a way to scale your wallpapers and stuff because its not letting me at all... :/

I'm on the most updated version.

Dead

well not really...yet
I just got my 5s last week and coming from the 4, it is a huge upgrade, but I seem to be having a slight issue with the touch ID, it seems to take a couple of tries to recognize my fingerprint, but it does eventually do it. It's strange because when I first got the phone, it worked fine , but now it is working ~50% of the time, all I saw to do was delete and redo the saved fingerprint but that only helps for a little while, before the issue arises again
you sure you aren't angling your thumb?

Ive noticed a few times where it took me 2 or 3 tries but I realized my thumb was in an awkward angle...

anyone here tried the hirise stand from Twelve-South?
twelve_south_hirise_lightning_iphone_5_5s_5c_dock_stand.jpg

Kind of sucks that you have to assemble the thing yourself, and that it doesn't come with a cable, but the advantage is that it seems to be the only dock that allows headphone access, which would be perfect for my desk at work.

neoism

Yeah, I make it a point to put my thumb on flat after the first "try again"

I have a bunch of wallpapers but I cant get it to work :/ ios7 will take awhile for to get used. I reaalllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyy HATE the dock... -_- why cant you make it transparent. :/

ok nm I can just take a picture of the picture lol and use that.. :/ hope they keep up with with the updates though. I still think ios6 is speedier but I've used it for sooo long though.

Mr.Ock

How's the general opinion about the unlocking via fingerprint? Good, bad, unsecure?

Very fast and reliable. I usually click on the sleep/wake button while I put my finger on the home button and basically it instantly unlocks. The only things that slightly bothers me (as someone was saying in the previous pages) is the fact that if I get a text I can't do the swipe thingy to go directly to the messages app and reply to it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How's the general opinion about the unlocking via fingerprint? Good, bad, unsecure?

Super quick and have worked seamlessly for me since the beginning.
Protip: during the second pass of setting up a print, cover all the extreme side angles of your finger, rotation doesn't seem to matter on this pass, for best results.

FerranMG

Very fast and reliable. I usually click on the sleep/wake button while I put my finger on the home button and basically it instantly unlocks. The only things that slightly bothers me (as someone was saying in the previous pages) is the fact that if I get a text I can't do the swipe thingy to go directly to the messages app and reply to it.

+1.
Love to use it to unlock the phone.
You can, indeed, swipe over a notification from the lock screen to go to the app that created it, but you still have to place your finger over the home button, which is slightly less convenient. But it's very cool regardless. :)

so guys is there a way to scale your wallpapers and stuff because its not letting me at all... :/

I'm on the most updated version.

The only way I am able to scale wallpapers is turning on the Reduce Motion option in settings. It doesn't do the strange 3D effect on your background after that but you can scale your wallpaper.

I went with the Spigen one, it's a little bulkier but it's flattened for fewer accidental button presses.

I'm wondering if there's an issue with my iphone 5s 's battery life. Basically, the benchmarks from anandtech indicate a battery life around 8 hours of nonstop usage but I seem to only get roughly around 5 hours usage on roughly a day idle. Is this normal?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I got my 5S. What can I do with my 16gb 3GS?

And yeah, put me in the case-less camp. Had my 3GS for four years, still looks fine, just a little scratch on the screen.

Savitar

Is there a thread or any recommendations on the apps a new user should get when they get a phone?

You know, the must haves that help overall. Not talking game wise.

mrkgoo

I'm wondering if there's an issue with my iphone 5s 's battery life. Basically, the benchmarks from anandtech indicate a battery life around 8 hours of nonstop usage but I seem to only get roughly around 5 hours usage on roughly a day idle. Is this normal?

Battery life is really hard to compare because everyone has wildly different use cases, your location being one of the most important.

That said some 5S are known to have issues and apple was sending out emails to inform people. Maybe call in to your local apple help centre and ask.

coldfoot

Banned
The FP sensor is extremely unreliable and a piece of shit. It only works half the time for me. Feels more like a Google product than Apple.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm a true believer that the iphone 5s can replace your point and shoot camera that you have had for the past couple of years. I had my canon powershot s95 ready to go but as I started to take a couple of pictures and checked them out, I was pretty satisfied with the results and used my 5s as my go to camera for the rest of the trip. I took a couple of pics of to showcase the highs and lows of the camera's optics in different situations.

True tone flash works wonders when lighting isn't good at where you are shooting.

Macro shot

Pano shot of o_O Coliseum before the raider's got ass raped by Nick Foles.

Surprised how well the low light performance was with a cell phone camera.

I strongly disagree with this. Was just on my honeymoon, we brought our 5s's and S100, we used both for photos, shot RAW on the s100. Once we got back the difference in quality is huge, esspecially for prints. Thank god I was using the s100 for a lot of shots. The 5s's were great for web uploads, but prints and any sort of creative cropping and the quality suffered. Even worse at dusk (and the s100 is in no way a good low light camera, in fact it sucks pretty bad). In terms of overall dynamic range, of recoverability, blacks, highlights, pretty much the whole spectrum, the s100 wipes the floor with the 5s (as it well should). This was most clear when at the beach at dusk. The s100 just grabbed all the beautiful blues out of the caribbean water, while the 5s was left with a junky, noise reduced mess. Now imagine an RX100m2 against it.

Bottom line, no, if you have an important life event, and care about any post process on images, or prints, no the 5s or most any other cell camera won't do.

Zanosuke

Finally! After months of deciding which my first smartphone would be, my 5s is here! A big step up from my old nokia / iPod 4 combo.. :)

Top Bottom