• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

Zanosuke

Hmm a few of my friends are telling me that they have trouble hearing me when we speak.. Does anyone else have this problem? It the mic under the homebutton/TB-scanner or next to the speaker at the bottom?

Just got a iPhone 5s white/silver yesterday.

Great upgrade from iPhone 4S.

I really love unlocking my iPhone via touch sensor and the bigger screen.

Can't wait for my battery case to come in from groupon!

Kuroyume

Banned
I love the phone. Had an LG-Phoenix P505 with crummy Android and the difference is like night and day. I can actually browse the web decently.

Question: Is there a good way to test whether or not you're one of the people with a faulty battery?

Kuroyume

Banned
Battery Usage
Battery Percentage Green (so on I guess)

Usage 11 Hours, 12 Minutes
Standby 3 Days, 6 Hours

That's what I see. So it's good based on what you're saying. Not a tech savvy person.

Ambitious

I need to switch to another provider. My current one sucks; an 5s from them would be too expensive, and they don't even offer LTE.
The other provider I'm considering has great plans and prices, but they don't have the 64GB Space Grey, only 16GB and 32GB. 

I'd really like the bigger one, but I kinda doubt I'd need that much space. After all, I wouldn't have to store music because of LTE (if the signal's fine here, which I don't know). And I usually uninstall games when I don't play them anymore. But it would certainly be cool to have all of them on the phone, all the time.

Bah, I don't know. Either I wait until they'll have the 64 Space Grey in stock, or I'll get the 64GB Silver. Would prefer grey though..

flyover

Don't know if this'll help anyone else, but if you're looking to get a 5s and go on T-Mobile's prepaid $30/mo (unlimited text, 5GB data, 100 minutes talk) plan, here's a step-by-step guide to how I did it.

It was a little convoluted, they hardly promote the plan, and there were some hiccups. Plus, T-Mobile's site doesn't mention anything about the plan working with the new Apple phones. I almost think they don't want people to get it. But it's worth it in the long run, so long as you don't need many minutes: $750 for the (32GB) phone and $360 per year for service.

1) Buy the unlocked phone. Got mine at the Apple Store. It comes with a T-Mobile SIM, but this can't be used for the $30 plan.

2) Buy a Nano SIM prepaid starter kit (which will have a SIM and an activation code) from Walmart or T-Mobile.com. Walmart may have them in-store for $30, if you can't wait. But T-Mobile has them for $10 (link here) -- and your money isn't going to Walmart. Don't buy one from a T-Mobile store, as only Walmart and T-Mobile.com purchases/activations are technically supposed to work for this plan. (You may be able to get on it, anyway, but no guarantees.)

2a) Highly recommended: Also buy a $30 T-Mobile prepaid card from somewhere. This may help you avoid the biggest pain in the ass of the whole process, a little later. I used a credit card to start my account, and I'll explain later why that was a bad idea.

3) Once you get the SIM kit, install the card in your phone and restart your phone.

4) Go to the web address mentioned in the kit for phone activation. You'll need the SIM #, the activation # for the kit, your phone's id #, and -- if you're transferring a number -- your phone #, account #, and PIN for your old account.

5) On the first page of the form, you'll be asked to enter your SIM #, activation #, and phone info. Once you've moved past this screen, your activation code will no longer be valid. If anything goes wrong for you, you'll either have to buy a new SIM kit or deal with their phone support to get things sorted out.

6) On the next few screens, you'll enter some personal info and, if necessary, the info for moving your old number to T-Mobile.

7a) Finally, you'll come to the payment screen, to get your account started. This is why you (hopefully) bought the prepaid card. If you did, just enter its info here. Once it goes through, you should be all set! Congrats! (Most people have had success using a refill card, but if you do get an error message for some reason, read on...)

7b) If you try using a credit card, you may find that the page has a bug in it. You fill out the form with all your credit card info, hit the submit button, and... you get an error message, saying you didn't fill out a calendar field for your monthly refill date. One problem: that field is nowhere in the form! It only appears for people who already have accounts, which -- at this point -- you don't.

Tons of other people have come across this (and it seems only people trying to get the $30 plan), which I didn't know until it was too late. I actually found a way to disable that error, by messing with the browser inspector, but the form still may not submit properly. (You're likely to get a "the payment system is down" error, even if the form goes through.)

And, like I mentioned earlier, your activation code is no longer valid, so you can't re-try the process.

8) At this point, if you did use a credit card, and you had the same errors I did, you'll need to call support. When you do so, make sure the agent knows you were trying to get the Walmart $30 plan (even if you didn't go to Walmart), and that you made it through all of the process until the billing page. Also, make sure you have your SIM/activation/phone info handy.

They won't take your payment info over the phone, but they should be able to nudge your account, so that you can then log in as an existing customer at their website and set up your payments.

Also, when you call, check with the agent to make sure your number has officially transferred over from your old carrier (may take a couple hours), or your account may not be able to be activated. If it hasn't, a good agent (and it may take a couple calls to get one) will call your old carrier while you're on the line and help you do the transfer in real time during your call.

Good luck!

chunk3rvd

Finally sorted my 4S upgrade and got a 5S delivered yesterday. Really pleased with it so far. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a screen protector or case? Is anything universally seen as the best? Don't want to let it get scratched to hell like my 4S was! I'm in the UK if that makes any difference

FerranMG

Finally sorted my 4S upgrade and got a 5S delivered yesterday. Really pleased with it so far. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a screen protector or case? Is anything universally seen as the best? Don't want to let it get scratched to hell like my 4S was! I'm in the UK if that makes any difference

I've never put a screen protector in any of my iPhones or iPads. Some minor scratches after heavy use, but nothing serious. The screens are really scratch resistant.

I always put a case on them, though.
On the iPad because the back would get scratched.
On the iPhone, because it's not a matter of IF you drop it, but of WHEN you drop it.
I've had my iPhone slip from my hands sometimes, and it wouldn't have lived had it not had a case.

I got this for my new 5S
Spiegen Slim Armor.

So far, a very good first impression.

The only thing I don't like is that a naked 5S it's a pleasure to hold: so tiny and lightweight. This adds a bit of bulk and wight (not much, though), but I'm sure it will be worth it in order to protect the phone from some future accidents.

chunk3rvd

I've never put a screen protector in any of my iPhones or iPads. Some minor scratches after heavy use, but nothing serious. The screens are really scratch resistant.

On the iPhone, because it's not a matter of IF you drop it, but of WHEN you drop it.
I've had my iPhone slip from my hands sometimes, and it wouldn't have lived had it not had a case.

I got this for my new 5S
Spiegen Slim Armor.

The only thing I don't like is that a naked 5S it's a pleasure to hold: so tiny and lightweight. This adds a bit of bulk and wight (not much, though), but I'm sure it will be worth it in order to protect the phone from some future accidents.

Thanks - will check this one out. I dropped my old 4S and the back smashed into little pieces so I definitely want a case at least!

Goodlife

UK GAF, how much are people paying for a monthly contract with the 5s

Going to get my wife one for Xmas. She's still got a few months left on her current contract, so have to pay that off first, so won't have any spare cash to buy the phone, so looking from "free phone" + £xx p/m.

Just don't know what a realistic asking price is before I phone up network to upgrade.

I got this for my new 5S
Spiegen Slim Armor.

I've had the exact same one for about a week. Really like it. Not super protective like an otter box but it also hardly adds anything to the phones dimensions. Still very slim and sleek.

J-Rod

I like the media devil brand screen protectors. I particularly like the two tone back protectors they sell. It emulates the feel of the metal back but is smooth on the top and and bottom parts. It is is so thin I thought it didn't transfer at first.

FerranMG

I've had the exact same one for about a week. Really like it. Not super protective like an otter box but it also hardly adds anything to the phones dimensions. Still very slim and sleek.

Thanks - will check this one out. I dropped my old 4S and the back smashed into little pieces so I definitely want a case at least!

Oh!, BTW, the best thing is that the volume rockers and the sleep button are under the case, but are still very responsive. :)

xnipx

Don't know if this'll help anyone else, but if you're looking to get a 5s and go on T-Mobile's prepaid $30/mo (unlimited text, 5GB data, 100 minutes talk) plan, here's a step-by-step guide to how I did it.

It was a little convoluted, they hardly promote the plan, and there were some hiccups. Plus, T-Mobile's site doesn't mention anything about the plan working with the new Apple phones. I almost think they don't want people to get it. But it's worth it in the long run, so long as you don't need many minutes: $750 for the (32GB) phone and $360 per year for service.

1) Buy the unlocked phone. Got mine at the Apple Store. It comes with a T-Mobile SIM, but this can't be used for the $30 plan.

2) Buy a Nano SIM prepaid starter kit (which will have a SIM and an activation code) from Walmart or T-Mobile.com. Walmart may have them in-store for $30, if you can't wait. But T-Mobile has them for $10 (link here) -- and your money isn't going to Walmart. Don't buy one from a T-Mobile store, as only Walmart and T-Mobile.com purchases/activations are technically supposed to work for this plan. (You may be able to get on it, anyway, but no guarantees.)

2a) Highly recommended: Also buy a $30 T-Mobile prepaid card from somewhere. This may help you avoid the biggest pain in the ass of the whole process, a little later. I used a credit card to start my account, and I'll explain later why that was a bad idea.

3) Once you get the SIM kit, install the card in your phone and restart your phone.

4) Go to the web address mentioned in the kit for phone activation. You'll need the SIM #, the activation # for the kit, your phone's id #, and -- if you're transferring a number -- your phone #, account #, and PIN for your old account.

5) On the first page of the form, you'll be asked to enter your SIM #, activation #, and phone info. Once you've moved past this screen, your activation code will no longer be valid. If anything goes wrong for you, you'll either have to buy a new SIM kit or deal with their phone support to get things sorted out.

6) On the next few screens, you'll enter some personal info and, if necessary, the info for moving your old number to T-Mobile.

7a) Finally, you'll come to the payment screen, to get your account started. This is why you (hopefully) bought the prepaid card. If you did, just enter its info here. Once it goes through, you should be all set! Congrats! (Most people have had success using a refill card, but if you do get an error message for some reason, read on...)

7b) If you try using a credit card, you may find that the page has a bug in it. You fill out the form with all your credit card info, hit the submit button, and... you get an error message, saying you didn't fill out a calendar field for your monthly refill date. One problem: that field is nowhere in the form! It only appears for people who already have accounts, which -- at this point -- you don't.

Tons of other people have come across this (and it seems only people trying to get the $30 plan), which I didn't know until it was too late. I actually found a way to disable that error, by messing with the browser inspector, but the form still may not submit properly. (You're likely to get a "the payment system is down" error, even if the form goes through.)

And, like I mentioned earlier, your activation code is no longer valid, so you can't re-try the process.

8) At this point, if you did use a credit card, and you had the same errors I did, you'll need to call support. When you do so, make sure the agent knows you were trying to get the Walmart $30 plan (even if you didn't go to Walmart), and that you made it through all of the process until the billing page. Also, make sure you have your SIM/activation/phone info handy.

They won't take your payment info over the phone, but they should be able to nudge your account, so that you can then log in as an existing customer at their website and set up your payments.

Also, when you call, check with the agent to make sure your number has officially transferred over from your old carrier (may take a couple hours), or your account may not be able to be activated. If it hasn't, a good agent (and it may take a couple calls to get one) will call your old carrier while you're on the line and help you do the transfer in real time during your call.

Good luck!

Is the 5 GB LTE or just 3G after 2GB?

flyover

Is the 5 GB LTE or just 3G after 2GB?

All 5GB are supposed to be LTE. After that, you don't get charged, but speeds are throttled to about 50kbps (from what I've read).

If you're about to hit the limit, it looks like you can renew early. (That'll then push all subsequent monthly renew dates up, as well. For example, if your renew date is November 25, you can renew on the 23rd to start your data/minutes counter over, but then you'll get renewed on the 23rd next month, and the month after, etc.)

Ambitious

I need to switch to another provider. My current one sucks; an 5s from them would be too expensive, and they don't even offer LTE.
The other provider I'm considering has great plans and prices, but they don't have the 64GB Space Grey, only 16GB and 32GB. 

I'd really like the bigger one, but I kinda doubt I'd need that much space. After all, I wouldn't have to store music because of LTE (if the signal's fine here, which I don't know). And I usually uninstall games when I don't play them anymore. But it would certainly be cool to have all of them on the phone, all the time.

Bah, I don't know. Either I wait until they'll have the 64 Space Grey in stock, or I'll get the 64GB Silver. Would prefer grey though..

Just called them. They've never had the 64GB Space Grey in stock and they don't know when they'll get it. Bummer.
Well, I've been thinking about switching from black iDevices to white ones anyway..

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone else having problems with the fingerprint sensor?

It doesn't work for me anymore, so I deleted my finger 1 profile, created a new one, and it worked for about half a day....now it's doing the same shit again.

edit: just wiped it off with a cloth for my glasses and it seemed to do the trick.

Quick

Banned
Anyone else having problems with the fingerprint sensor?

It doesn't work for me anymore, so I deleted my finger 1 profile, created a new one, and it worked for about half a day....now it's doing the same shit again.

edit: just wiped it off with a cloth for my glasses and it seemed to do the trick.

I briefly had the issue of the sensor not being as responsive as when I first activated it.

I think it started responding quicker again when I cleaned it before putting a screen protector on. Doing a quick clean isn't a bad idea from time to time.

chunk3rvd

Welp, the sellers say it's a Spiegen Slim Metal.
It's not very expensive, I guess you could always try. :p
Let us know if you do so!

For info - ended up passing on the eBay cases. I put the official Spigen listing off Amazon.co.uk (£15.99) into Flubit and they came back with an offer of £7.55 which I snapped up. Would advise anyone else looking for one of these to try the same!

Ambitious

Apparently it's not possible to set up an iPhone as a new phone but keep call data, messages etc.?

That sucks. I'd love to do some spring-cleaning as I'm sure there are still a lot of jailbreak files or settings.

After about a month, my wife's 5S's fingerprint sensor no longer works. Anyone else having issues?

Mine still works, though for some reason the left thumb has never been super reliable. Maybe it's a defective thumb. I hear that people have good luck deleting all their prints and redo it. Would be annoying if you have to do this every month or two.

Red

Mine still works, though for some reason the left thumb has never been super reliable. Maybe it's a defective thumb. I hear that people have good luck deleting all their prints and redo it. Would be annoying if you have to do this every month or two.
We fixed if by doing a full factory reset and re-entering thumbprints. So it must be something software side.

HPhins54

Neo Member
Just picked up a silver 5S a few days ago. Thinking about getting the black leather case, but would like some feedback.

Is it comfortable? Does it hold up well? Does it get scuffed up easily?

mrkgoo

Just picked up a silver 5S a few days ago. Thinking about getting the black leather case, but would like some feedback.

I don't know, but seeing as it's leather, isn't it kind of meant to scuff up?

J-Rod

My wife has the leather case, and it has some cosmetic stains and scuffs, but still seems solid/sturdy. If I was to complain about the official cases it would be that you have press relatively hard to use the power button. It's not easy to do with just your index finger when holding it normally your palm.

I have the brown leather case and it started getting scuffed up after about a week of use. That was the look I was going for though, and should be expected from the material.

Edit: it's sturdy.

Finally bought my 64GB Silver yesterday. Phone's been great over my 4S (which I decided to keep) and am rocking a Speck Candy Shell once more.

Quite happy and even with the case, the 5S feels so much lighter than my 4S...

Oh and no issues with touchID, works fantastically.

entremet

Just got a 5s, coming from the 4, it's a huge difference!

No more chugging or lagging or crashing apps. And LTE is nice.

I got the red case, but I've always been caseless. I might just sell this case. I've always tried cases and just don't like the feel.

Prologue

My iPhone 4s died today. Disconnected by mistake while doing an update on the computer. Tried to run a back up and that didn't work. Took it to the apple store and they told me I'm out of luck and that it was a hardware malfunction :(

rezuth

My iPhone 4s died today. Disconnected by mistake while doing an update on the computer. Tried to run a back up and that didn't work. Took it to the apple store and they told me I'm out of luck and that it was a hardware malfunction :(

You sure it was the disconnect? Try DFU but these devices are virtually unbrickable.

Prologue

Can you get it to go into DFU mode? http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

You sure it was the disconnect? Try DFU but these devices are virtually unbrickable.

I did that and the store did that, no luck. Going to another Apple store for a second opinion and might go to my corner electronics store since they love taking this apart. If anything, I'll buy an iPhone 4 or something cheap. Just need something to pull me over until iPhone 6. I'm guessing the iPhones 4 were the first iPhones to be on other networks right?

mackaveli

Got a Gold 5S today. What's a good case (Don't want to spend a lot of money on it) for it?

Do I even need a case or you guys recommend I go naked with it?

Thanks.

And I love the phone. Went from iPhone 4 to 5S is a huge jump.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After about a month, my wife's 5S's fingerprint sensor no longer works. Anyone else having issues?

Mine still works, but it only seemed really reliable in that first week or so.

Ever since, I've had constant issues with it failing to read a fingerprint, or just plain up not responding at all (not even trying to read), forcing me to input my password. I finally gave up on just disabled it.

I loved it when it worked, but it turned out to be too unreliable in the end.

Shearie

I got my 5s the day it came out and the fingerprint sensor still works well for me. Every once in awhile it will get a bad read or not read at all but it's not a big deal since all I need to do is lift my finger up and put it back on the sensor again and it works. It reads right the first try most of the time anyway.

Got a Gold 5S today. What's a good case (Don't want to spend a lot of money on it) for it?

Do I even need a case or you guys recommend I go naked with it?

Thanks.

And I love the phone. Went from iPhone 4 to 5S is a huge jump.

I go naked, love the form of the phone.

I also picked up a gold 5S, got it last wednesday coming from a 4S and I'm loving it:D

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone else having problems with the screen not coming to life after a long charge? Has happened twice now. I have to hold the power button to cycle it.

Upgraded from a black iphone 4 to the gold 5S. This thing is gorgeous, and I love the way it feels. Will definitely use it naked. Fingerprint sensor is awesome.

Only thing I noticed so far is that sleep and volume buttons rattle. Are they supposed to be loose or is mine defective?

The Chef

I was going to upgrade my 4 to a 5s but messed around with an HTC over the weekend.

My god what a refreshing change of pace. I didn't realize how absolutely insanely bored I am with iOS and being able to try android just felt so nice.

But then I'm back in the same boat I was in before and is why I will probably say with iphone forever. And that's because every single member of my family and every one of my friends have iPhones. To not be able to iMessage any of them anymore would a loss far to great.

So I will now have to upgrade to the 5s when I switch to Verison and I could literally give a rats ass about the phone. Such a shame.

mackaveli

Upgraded from a black iphone 4 to the gold 5S. This thing is gorgeous, and I love the way it feels. Will definitely use it naked. Fingerprint sensor is awesome.

Only thing I noticed so far is that sleep and volume buttons rattle. Are they supposed to be loose or is mine defective?

What you mean rattle?

and yeah black iphone 4 to gold 5S what a difference. I will go naked too I think. It's so light and awesome. I am in love.

I also just got an iPad Air last week and loving it. I really like iOS 7 a lot as well.

Top Bottom