• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

ZeroX03

Banned
Avplayerhd is the best if you plan on playing from your device. Not sure about its streaming/samba share playing capabilities, but as a local player it's the bimb.

Outstanding, will try it on my 5S now.

stealth rock: AVPlayerHD is the iPad one. Just AVPlayer for regular iPhone yeah, this app? Seems to be a lot of apps using the name.

Sadly I can't afford to upgrade this time around and will stick with my 5, but is there not a 32GB option? all I see on the uk store is 16, 64 and 128.

If I had to choose a model I would go with the regular 6, it's a little larger and while the plus would be awesome for use, I do like a slightly smaller phone in my pocket.

123rl

I figured the price difference is pretty minimal so I think I'll swing up to a 128GB 6 Plus. Maybe rip some of my Blu Rays onto it, get them down to 4GB or so at 1080p. Do I still have to convert to mp4 or are there are some decent media players on iOS now?

I use Av Player HD. It cost £1.99 and plays everything I throw at it

Edit - beaten badly. Yes, it's avplayer for the iPhone

The A8 brings a smaller increase in performance than the transition from A6 to A7, mainly because Apple didn't want to gamble with a completely new architecture and a new process node.

It's been pretty much confirmed, via leaked benchmarks, that it's 1GB of RAM. For such a premium phone it's borderline inexcusable. I think it's fair to say that's the main criticism the iphone is going to get.

im starting to think the iPhone 6S will be the best version to upgrade to.. its not that far off.

kneePat

You get the 64GB for the same money you would get the 32GB version.

The obvious fallacy with this reasoning is that you get the 16 GB version for the same money that SHOULD get you the 32 GB.

Nah, we're talking about a local video player, that's the streaming one. They all have stupidly similar names.

But does this other app also do streaming? at which point, I might have to check it out. Specifically DLNA streaming.

ZeroX03

Banned
But does this other app also do streaming? at which point, I might have to check it out. Specifically DLNA streaming.

"Supported URL streaming playback and downloading."

That means it should work with VLC streaming at least on a local network. It seems AVStreamer is their dedicated streaming app though.

kneePat

"Supported URL streaming playback and downloading."

That means it should work with VLC streaming at least on a local network. It seems AVStreamer is their dedicated streaming app though.

Yeah, that looks more like VMware... I have and would absolutely recommend Splashtop for people who are interested in that.

kneePat

S¡mon;129948719 said:
But now you get nearly 50 GB extra storage for just an additional $100... which is a marketing advantage for Apple.

I'm not saying it is not an advantage, just pointing out it isn't so cut-and-dried as to being one.

If you bought a $299 or $399 iPhone in the past you got an upgrade in memory this time around. However, if you bought at $199 you kind of got punished relative to others if you want to stay at the same entry level price. Historically, with iPhones everyone received the same 'upgrade' in storage indiscriminately.

But, right you are, Apple does know what they're doing, and that is pricing their products such that it is economically desirable to spring for the higher memory model when compared to an individual's previous purchasing habit.

DOWN

Banned
Ugh. I think Apple's cases are awesome for the 5s in leather but I wish they didn't leave the bottom edge exposed for the 6. I basically want the snug very slim quality of their cases with the bottom covered. No hard material touching the phone.

I'll probably do either silicone or leather from Apple but I'll keep an eye out here for something similar with full coverage.

After printing out the templates, I feel that the normal 6 size will be the best option.

The 6+ is insanely huge. If I put it in my front pocket and sit down, I think it would dig into my leg, or it could snap?

Anyway I'm gonna wait until I get a hands on at the Apple store.

You can find the same screen sizes at Best Buy on similar phones right now if you want to get a better idea sooner rather than later.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I've been using a sock style case for my iPhone 4, now I guess it's time to pick up something new. Don't really like hard cases for the extra bulk they add though. With a sock even though it's kinda dumb, it protects my phone and I don't have to look at it in an ugly case or add thickness to the phone.

DOWN

Banned
I've been using a sock style case for my iPhone 4, now I guess it's time to pick up something new. Don't really like hard cases for the extra bulk they add though. With a sock even though it's kinda dumb, it protects my phone and I don't have to look at it in an ugly case or add thickness to the phone.
90% of me is thinking I'm not willing to look that poor but 10% of me is jealous of your no case and wonders if the aesthetics of the phone would negate the poor sock.

I remember when socks were a cool thing they sold at the Apple store for iPod Mini and classic. RIP iPod Classic.

HUELEN10

And soft shell cases > hard cases, IMO. They don't scratch, and absorb shocks easily. The only downside is that they yellow... and Spigen claims this one has an anti-yellowing design. We'll see!
What's you're opinion of the Speck Candyshell series then?

DOWN

Banned
What's you're opinion of the Speck Candyshell series then?
I tried them (I think they look tacky but that's besides the point). The inner rubber was so hard that it scratched a couple small spots on my 5 just from popping it in and out so I returned it. Incipio's two layer cases with silicone inside and a shell that goes over it is by far what I find most protective and well designed. Unfortunately, it's not slim enough for me but it was perfect protection.

HUELEN10

I tried them (I think they look tacky but that's besides the point). The inner rubber was so hard that it scratched a couple small spots on my 5 just from popping it in and out so I returned it. Incipio's two layer cases with silicone inside and a shell that goes over it is by far what I find most protective and well designed. Unfortunately, it's not slim enough for me but it was perfect protection.
Mind linking to that specific Incipio case? Basically, I have a Spigen on order for the big day, but am probably using a Candyshell yet again as a daily driver (I prefer one-piece cases), but I am always open to similar, other options.

My main requirement? That it has a lip over the screen.

DOWN

Banned
Mind linking to that specific Incipio case? Basically, I have a Spigen on order for the big day, but am probably using a Candyshell yet again as a daily driver (I prefer one-piece cases), but I am always open to similar, other options.

My main requirement? That it has a lip over the screen.

http://www.incipio.com/cases/iphone...case-with-impact-absorbing-core-iphone-6.html

Chose my 6 Plus case and it's en route to my house. It's a clear flexible silicon case from Spigen.

That's basically the type of case that I rocked on my 4S. It's the best for me because it still shows off the color and style of the phone itself (Silver, btw!), while still protecting it. Props to those who like to personalize their phone with a unique case, but I like something that shows off Apple's design.

And soft shell cases > hard cases, IMO. They don't scratch, and absorb shocks easily. The only downside is that they yellow... and Spigen claims this one has an anti-yellowing design. We'll see!

TPU is more like super flexible plastic. Tends to still have the abrasion issue when against the phone that threatens to scratch and scuff grit into the metal if much gets in there, though much better than total hard plastic.

Apple's microfiber linings are great. Probably the best thing to have touching the phone, if only they were doing full coverage this time.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
90% of me is thinking I'm not willing to look that poor but 10% of me is jealous of your no case and wonders if the aesthetics of the phone would negate the poor sock.

I remember when socks were a cool thing they sold at the Apple store for iPod Mini and classic. RIP iPod Classic.
I'd say that 95% of the time the sock stays in my pocket, I can pull the phone out without the sock leaving my jeans pocket and usually get it back in without taking it out too, so I'm left with all the benefits of no case while I'm using it and all the protection of a case when I'm not. I don't know whether I'll switch that up here. I did have a leather pouch style case once, similar to this one, maybe I'll try something like that. It really depends on how the phone feels to hold.

Ninja Dom

Been using exactly that on my 5S. In fact it's an Apple iPod sock. It's done me well. I'm interested to see how it fits the 6.

giga

The A8 brings a smaller increase in performance than the transition from A6 to A7, mainly because Apple didn't want to gamble with a completely new architecture and a new process node.

It's been pretty much confirmed, via leaked benchmarks, that it's 1GB of RAM. For such a premium phone it's borderline inexcusable. I think it's fair to say that's the main criticism the iphone is going to get.
A yearly microarchitecture change is asking a lot. I think they're going to go with the Intel tick-tock timeline, which is much more reasonable and sound.

After printing out the templates, I feel that the normal 6 size will be the best option.

The 6+ is insanely huge. If I put it in my front pocket and sit down, I think it would dig into my leg, or it could snap?

Anyway I'm gonna wait until I get a hands on at the Apple store.

I keep having a big internal discussion about this sort of thing. I think the 6+ is too big for me as a phone but I love the idea of having one device to replace both my iPad Mini and my iPhone. I was planning on getting an updated Mini this year and now with the 6 Plus I am thinking it over. I'm just not sure what to do yet. I guess I really do need to see it in the hands of people on the street first.

The Mini just seems like a perfect device to me. It's the perfect size for a tablet. I'm not sure I want to stray from that. I just don't know if I want to keep on two devices all the time. It's pricey.

Servbot24

Banned
Just checked with Sprint and they say I should have my order by the 19th. Which is lovely considering I slept in before ordering Friday. :) Should be a great update from 4s.

I used a sock case for my 4s for a while, I thought it worked fine. Although I doubt it offers any collision buffer and I don't get scratches anyways, so I'll probably just go naked with the 6.

iMax

I was looking at the MacRumors forum and one guy already knew certain details about his specific iPhone 6 that are being delivered on launch day to him (UK).

He knew production factory, manufacturing month and one or two other things. How did he find this out?

I myself, ordered at 11.15am GMT on Friday 12th. Preorders opened at around 8.30am. My status is "Processing" and my delivery date is 29 Sep - 2 Oct. any chances that will come any sooner?

If you buy your iPhone with AppleCare+, it gets added to your Support Profile immediately. If you check it, you'll be able to get the serial number and find out those details with some basic codebreaking!

I keep having a big internal discussion about this sort of thing. I think the 6+ is too big for me as a phone but I love the idea of having one device to replace both my iPad Mini and my iPhone. I was planning on getting an updated Mini this year and now with the 6 Plus I am thinking it over. I'm just not sure what to do yet. I guess I really do need to see it in the hands of people on the street first.

The Mini just seems like a perfect device to me. It's the perfect size for a tablet. I'm not sure I want to stray from that. I just don't know if I want to keep on two devices all the time. It's pricey.

I'm getting the 6+ to replace a phone and a tablet. It's too big as a phone, no question, but I'd rather carry a slightly larger phone than tote around a 4.7" phone (Nexus 4) and a 7" tablet (Nexus 7) which I'm doing at this very moment.

GWX

Ugh. I think Apple's cases are awesome for the 5s in leather but I wish they didn't leave the bottom edge exposed for the 6. I basically want the snug very slim quality of their cases with the bottom covered. No hard material touching the phone

I wish my 5s' leather case kept the bottom of the device exposed. It's nearly impossible to use the headphone jack on this thing with the case on, except for Apple's own headphones which have a thin profile connector.

blitz64

iphone + ship date moved up 1 month today. woohoo

Saturday status
15033793799_eecf23b86d_o.jpg

Sunday status
15049883647_34d5c6712d_o.jpg

Preorder cancel button disappeared.

Deku Tree

Saturday status

Sunday status

My 6 Phablet ship date moved up about 11 days:

Expected Ship Date: 10/02/2014 To 10/13/2014

The cancel preorder button is still available for me though...

im starting to think the iPhone 6S will be the best version to upgrade to.. its not that far off.

Same. Performance and specs don't seem that much better than the 5S especially considering it's STILL on 1 GB RAM. I'll hold off for the 6S. Hopefully they clean up the ass ugly antenna design on the back by then too.

Ugh. I think Apple's cases are awesome for the 5s in leather but I wish they didn't leave the bottom edge exposed for the 6. I basically want the snug very slim quality of their cases with the bottom covered. No hard material touching the phone.

Yeah I looked at the 6 leather case and I was shocked at how cheap the design looks. The 5S leather case I have looks beautiful - wraps around the entire device with individually cut holes at the bottom. I HATE cases that just put a huge cutout at the bottom. Looks like a rushed case out of China. Pretty disappointed with the design aspects of the iPhone 6.

blitz64

That's good news man. Is that from Apple Store directly or a network?

1 month moved up for AT&T online business premier store. It should be similar to regular online at&t. I already read lots of people getting their At&T.com ship dates updated this morning Sunday.

Bgamer90

Banned

Saturday status

Sunday status

Just checked mines again and it was cut down to two weeks (it's now the first week in October). So yeah, maybe it's true. Let's see if they move it up again...

BSsBrolly

Banned
1 month moved up for AT&T online business premier store. It should be similar to regular online at&t. I already read lots of people getting their At&T.com ship dates updated this morning Sunday.

Mine was updated too! Regular online at AT&T here.

From- Expected Ship Date: 10/13/2014 To 10/31/2014

To- Expected Ship Date: 09/23/2014 To 10/02/2014

rezuth

I'm really starting to come around to the design, I'm kinda digging the band look ATM. Hope I can finallyq order on the 19th

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Saturday status

Sunday status

Mine changed from the date at the top to Pending. I'm just gonna wait and see how things shake out this week, hopefully ATT get their shit sorted out.

What did Apple do with all them transistors doe?

Most of the transistors probably went to the GX6650 GPU replacing the G6430. They probably widened the issue width again, increased the reorder buffer, maybe another couple of integer pipes and another FPU/NEON pipe. I don't doubt the caches got a bit beefier too. The usual stuff you do to extract more performance out of a design without going up in clock speed. We won't know for sure until Apple makes its commits to LLVM with the specs for the architecture.

Top Bottom