• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

I'm referring to 3rd party apps/widgets. I want my SWYPE among other things.
Keyboards was definitely going to require an update of the iTunes store first I think, cause initially it was announced as "you go to the iTunes store to download the app, then choose it as a keyboard option". Wonder if the app store is getting a same day update.

Ninja Dom

I was looking at the MacRumors forum and one guy already knew certain details about his specific iPhone 6 that are being delivered on launch day to him (UK).

He knew production factory, manufacturing month and one or two other things. How did he find this out?

I myself, ordered at 11.15am GMT on Friday 12th. Preorders opened at around 8.30am. My status is "Processing" and my delivery date is 29 Sep - 2 Oct. any chances that will come any sooner?

You have 14 days to try it out.

If you don't like it after 10, take it back and get a 4.7".

The reason I went with the 6+ over the 6 is mainly because it may fundamentally change how I use my phone day to day.

- More likely to want to fill it with video content for viewing on the go
- More likely to want to read on it
- More likely to play meatier games on it
- Better web browsing experience

...all of these seem to really cater to this new brick of a 6+.

4.7 is bigger, but not so much so that it would really change the way I use my phone. At least I don't think it would be.

I'm willing to give the + a shot and always think that I could return it within a couple weeks if it doesn't work out.

Good points all around, thanks guys! Think I'll go for a 6+ and return it if it's too big.

Keyboards was definitely going to require an update of the iTunes store first I think, cause initially it was announced as "you go to the iTunes store to download the app, then choose it as a keyboard option". Wonder if the app store is getting a same day update.

iTunes update already came out to "support" iOS8. It just isn't activated yet I assume.

ZeroX03

Banned
I figured the price difference is pretty minimal so I think I'll swing up to a 128GB 6 Plus. Maybe rip some of my Blu Rays onto it, get them down to 4GB or so at 1080p. Do I still have to convert to mp4 or are there are some decent media players on iOS now?

Can someone with an iPhone 6 test the camera? Is as good as the LG G3 or Samsung S5 camera?

It's going to be, at minimum, six days before someone can answer this for you. The phone only went up for preorder this past Friday. It won't be in anyone's hands until the 19th.

I figured the price difference is pretty minimal so I think I'll swing up to a 128GB 6 Plus. Maybe rip some of my Blu Rays onto it, get them down to 4GB or so at 1080p. Do I still have to convert to mp4 or are there are some decent media players on iOS now?

Air Video HD is great since it can playback MKV's stored on your computer

Jimrpg

Good points all around, thanks guys! Think I'll go for a 6+ and return it if it's too big.

I'm getting 6+ too. I've always wanted more screen space, and I don't want to get a few months down the line and suddenly feel like I want more space again. I also prefer the ipad air to the ipad mini and my 15" MacBook to my 13". The bigger screen space will probably help for all those digital d-pads too taking up too much room.

Plus the bigger battery and optical image stabilization.

ido

I'm getting the 6+(hopefully... waiting in line at C Spire Friday morning) because I want to consolidate my phone and ipad mini into one device.

I'm excited.

DOWN

Banned
So for anyone getting a case with a not hard lining/soft case as a whole, which cases are you looking at? Apple's are microfiber lined so I might go with their silicone or leather. I don't want those TPU or hard cases as they tend to get small scratches on the phone over time.

Clipse

So for anyone getting a case with a not hard lining/soft case as a whole, which cases are you looking at? Apple's are microfiber lined so I might go with their silicone or leather. I don't want those TPU or hard cases as they tend to get small scratches on the phone over time.
Probably going with the official silicon case until I find a nice leather one. I'd stay away from Apple's leather case, since the aniline leather they use absorb oil and dirt very easily.

Pretty funny. My boss was super pissed when she found out that pre-orders on Plus versions began 6AM PST, so east coast stores (of which I work for) had already sold out most of the first-day inventory within a couple hours and no one on the west coast pretty much had any chance of getting a Plus from AT&T. She had me watch over our pre-order availability, call her the second there was more available, hehehe.

Just crazy how much hype they can build. It's quite brilliant. And holy shit my job is going to suck so bad this holiday season. Retail is gonna string me up.

numble

Is there anyway to order an unlocked Sprint, US Cellular, or C Spire iPhone 6? It is the only model compatible with LTE in Hong Kong and China and it always takes months before it can be easily bought in Hong Kong.

DOWN

Banned
Probably going with the official silicon case until I find a nice leather one. I'd stay away from Apple's leather case, since the aniline leather they use absorb oil and dirt very easily.

I would be going with black anyway so I don't think that would matter? (you are referring to the leather darkening right?

Terrell

I keep my phone in the front pocket of my bag, so until the screens are made of sapphire, I'm putting it in a sleeve in case it rubs against the teeth of the zipper (I have scratched a phone this way).
I guess one could theoretically consider that a "case", but it's naked when I use it, protected when I don't and the sleeve won't rub against and ruin the surface of the phone... best of all worlds.

thechemist

I was looking at the MacRumors forum and one guy already knew certain details about his specific iPhone 6 that are being delivered on launch day to him (UK).

He knew production factory, manufacturing month and one or two other things. How did he find this out?

If you go to:
https://supportprofile.apple.com/
It may have your serial number for your new phone.

Then enter the serial number via this website:
http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

It will give you the details of when it was made, etc.

Mine was manufactured in August (6 64gb space gray)

billeh

My phone shipped! It's currently in Memphis, TN marked for 'future delivery.'

Fuck that, I'm gonna take a trip to Memphis.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm really curious if the bigger screen will make the phone a viable place to watch video. I mean, my 4S has AirVideo access to my ripped Blu-rays, I have the a Netflix app, etc. And I'm not against small screen viewing. But I'm just never inclined to actually watch anything on it.

kneePat

I'm really curious if the bigger screen will make the phone a viable place to watch video. I mean, my 4S has AirVideo access to my ripped Blu-rays, I have the a Netflix app, etc. And I'm not against small screen viewing. But I'm just never inclined to actually watch anything on it.

I think it will, I've used my friends Galaxy Note 3 and we can both comfortably watch trailers if we're out together on it which is so much better than my small iPhone 5. Additionally, having apps like YouTube that can work in landscape orientations will make it an even better experience.

ZeroX03

Banned

I don't mind my 5S for small YouTube videos or whatever, but my S3 was always better for videos and books and I suspect a Note/6 Plus size screen will be even better. Not the same as a 10 inch iPad or a 50 inch TV, but for a pocket device I'm guessing it's probably the best available. Also 1080p resolution for improved quality. Tempted to grab a case with a stand...

I can read Gaf on my 5S but there's so many sites which are a chore to navigate on such a small screen. Always had to read TV tropes horizontally, not anymore!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All I gotta say about this phone is... WELCOME TO 2012 iPHONE!.
You know, it just took a year for Android phones to catch up to the iPhone's 64-bit architecture. Should we say "Welcome to 2013, Android!"

No, because we don't give a fuck about you.

I'm generally well wishing toward other phone users... The "battle" is some primitive shit we will laugh at in time.

Ninja Dom

I'm curious about this too. We HAVE to have 2gb of RAM for the new phones right? Or at least for the new iPads.

Not really you know. I've said it much earlier in the thread but a 12 month old iPhone 5S performs admirably on 1GB of RAM. With the beefed up A8 64-bit CPU, the 6 will be no slouch with 1GB too. I think.

Enco

Not really you know. I've said it much earlier in the thread but a 12 month old iPhone 5S performs admirably on 1GB of RAM. With the beefed up A8 64-bit CPU, the 6 will be no slouch with 1GB too. I think.
It performs admirably if you don't browse with multiple tabs in Safari or switch between multiple apps.

Otherwise it sucks.

ZeroX03

Banned
It performs admirably if you don't browse with multiple tabs in Safari or switch between multiple apps.

Otherwise it sucks.

My Safari can handle 3 tabs and 5 apps perfectly on 5S. Plus if my Safari does have to reload tabs it takes less than 2 seconds for most websites, about equivalent to the general stuttering on Chrome on Android on say a Shield. Hardly prohibitive to general use.

BunnyBear

I know it's a minor thing but it drives me mental when I'm browsing on Safari, switch to another app and then come back, and the page has to refresh. It's really irritating. Is that a RAM issue safeguard?

Enco

My Safari can handle 3 tabs and 5 apps perfectly on 5S. Plus if my Safari does have to reload tabs it takes less than 2 seconds for most websites, about equivalent to the general stuttering on Chrome on Android on say a Shield. Hardly prohibitive to general use.
3 tabs isn't enough for me and refreshing is only a few seconds but you lose your progress and it's frustrating.

5 apps that barely do anything is possible but if they are intensive apps, good luck getting 3. After a few minutes in one, one of the other ones will reset and you'll lose progress again.

It's the main reason I'm not upgrading this year. No way I'll buy another 1GB phone.

It's fine for many people but not me.

ZeroX03

Banned
3 tabs isn't enough for me and refreshing is only a few seconds but you lose your progress and it's frustrating.

5 apps that barely do anything is possible but if they are intensive apps, good luck getting 3. After a few minutes in one, one of the other ones will reset and you'll lose progress again.

It's the main reason I'm not upgrading this year. No way I'll buy another 1GB phone.

It's fine for many people but not me.

I'm confused as to why you would need so many apps and tabs open, all of them with something in progress instead of finishing them one at a time. And the productivity apps I use just auto save constantly so I don't think I've ever lost progress on anything except for forum post tabs. Sucks that it doesn't fit your workflow I guess.

Enco

On the iPad I can have Safari with multiple tabs, a PDF reader and Dropbox open at one time. I switch between them and then my progress is lost in one app and I waste time getting back to where I was.

On the iPhone I can have Safari, Spotify/Music and another app like a workout tracker. Switch between them and one will refresh.

No reason why there shouldn't be 2GB of RAM. Not like RAM is expensive.

ZeroX03

Banned
On the iPhone I can have Safari, Spotify/Music and another app like a workout tracker. Switch between them and one will refresh.

This has never, ever happened to me. You must have one hell of an intensive workout tracker.

Edit: I have Safari w/ 3 tabs, Messages, Mail, Twitter, Facebook, App Store, Evernote, Music (playing) and the Destiny app. None of them refresh when I switch to them. Destiny app has a 3D render displaying too.

lexi

Banned
I'm generally well wishing toward other phone users... The "battle" is some primitive shit we will laugh at in time.

I hope so. I've been in social situations where the topic of smartphones comes up and its some real vicious shit goes down when mere mention of an iPhone comes up.

JayDub

You know, it just took a year for Android phones to catch up to the iPhone's 64-bit architecture. Should we say "Welcome to 2013, Android!"

No, because we don't give a fuck about you.

LMAO. So true.

Note 4 chamfered edges and aluminum band, 64 bit CPU incoming, fingerprint sensor..all announced and Apple fans were silent. Cause we couldn't care less.

Android fans get their panties tied in a knot this time of year when Apple's stuff comes out.

Blastoise

Banned
After printing out the templates, I feel that the normal 6 size will be the best option.

The 6+ is insanely huge. If I put it in my front pocket and sit down, I think it would dig into my leg, or it could snap?

Anyway I'm gonna wait until I get a hands on at the Apple store.

kneePat

LMAO. So true.

Note 4 chamfered edges and aluminum band, 64 bit CPU incoming, fingerprint sensor..all announced and Apple fans were silent. Cause we couldn't care less.

Android fans get their panties tied in a knot this time of year when Apple's stuff comes out.

Inferiority Complex -> Circlejerk Bashing -> Echo Chamber -> Superiority Verified

Rinse & Repeat.

So what are people saying about the performance of the new phones? Is it possible that the iPhone 6S sees ram/cpu improvements?

The A8 brings a smaller increase in performance than the transition from A6 to A7, mainly because Apple didn't want to gamble with a completely new architecture and a new process node.

It's been pretty much confirmed, via leaked benchmarks, that it's 1GB of RAM. For such a premium phone it's borderline inexcusable. I think it's fair to say that's the main criticism the iphone is going to get.

Avplayerhd is the best if you plan on playing from your device. Not sure about its streaming/samba share playing capabilities, but as a local player it's the bimb.

Edit: it's also the bomb

Top Bottom