• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

kaskade

Yes Verizon gave me a tracking number. Feels so nice not to worry about it like I did the 5s last year. Now I gotta decide on a case.

Does anyone know if Apple Stores or phone stores will be getting the phones to demo early? I'd really like to spend a little time holding both to decide and I feel like I will be rushed on Friday if that's my first experience.

I will be.

I don't think carrier stores or apple will put them up until after being closed Thursday night. What time do you plan on lining up ?

Does anyone know if Apple Stores or phone stores will be getting the phones to demo early? I'd really like to spend a little time holding both to decide and I feel like I will be rushed on Friday if that's my first experience.

I will be.

Nope.

And if you're queuing, you won't be able to hold them before you've made your decision. Apple staff will ask what you want and hand out tickets to everyone in line before the store opens.

subrock

Nope.

And if you're queuing, you won't be able to hold them before you've made your decision. Apple staff will ask what you want and hand out tickets to everyone in line before the store opens.
Didn't they do the reservation system this year? I thought everything at Apple stores was spoken for by 2am last Friday

Squalor

You'll have 14 days to try out the phone and return it with no penalty.

Ditched the 6+ Preorder (too much uncertainty about when I'd get it, rumors of being hot, etc) and went with a 128GB space gray regular 6 that will get to me this Friday. I'm stoked!

Squalor

So you think apple is dumb enough to not have phones set aside for walk-ins on Friday ?
Are you crazy? Have you never paid attention to iPhone releases? Millions of people in the country line up for release day.

Of course Apple is going to have a huge in-store stock, particularly in highly populated areas.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
No skins available for the 6+ that I can find...blah.

Not getting a case, but I may be interested in getting a little bit of texture on the back of this behemoth.

We'll see.

sadromeo

So I have a pre-order for the 64gb silver 6+ that I choose to pick up instead of ship so that I could get it 9/19.

I have waited in lines before for apple products so I understand the insanity that entails. However, I have never waited in line after pre-ordering. Are they going to have separate lines or just one line? Can I just go like an hour before they close and not deal with lines if I wanted to just pick up my pre-order?

What if I wanted to also try to pick one up as well as my pre-order?

Squalor

So I have a pre-order for the 64gb silver 6+ that I choose to pick up instead of ship so that I could get it 9/19.

I have waited in lines before for apple products so I understand the insanity that entails. However, I have never waited in line after pre-ordering. Are they going to have separate lines or just one line? Can I just go like an hour before they close and not deal with lines if I wanted to just pick up my pre-order?

What if I wanted to also try to pick one up as well as my pre-order?
They will hold your pre-order. It's safe even if you don't go at all on Friday.

No, they won't let you cut in line, and most places will not do separate lines for people who are there to pick up pre-orders.

If you go early, you'll have to wait like everyone else. You can also just wait until later in the day to avoid the hassle.

You'll have 14 days to try out the phone and return it with no penalty.
roger that. I'll probably go 6+ and back down if the "pocket experience" is unsatisfactory. 2 weeks is enough to try it in all of my jeans, slacks, gym shorts, etc.

I went over to an AT&T store earlier today to look at some phones that I thought were in the ballpark. I decided I really liked the size of the Galaxy S5 and assumed it was the size of the iPhone 6...but didn't realize until I got home that it was actually a meaningful bit bigger at 5.1". I also looked at the Lumia 1320 thinking that was similar in size to the iPhone 6+...

.....until I got home and found out it was 6 fucking inches. I think the 6+ might work for me if it's not too much bigger than the Galaxy S5.

Squalor

roger that. I'll probably go 6+ and back down if the "pocket experience" is unsatisfactory. 2 weeks is enough to try it in all of my jeans, slacks, gym shorts, etc.

I went over to an AT&T store earlier today to look at some phones that I thought were in the ballpark. I decided I really liked the size of the Galaxy S5...but didn't realize until I got home that it was 5.1". I looked at the Lumia 1320 thinking that was similar in size to the iPhone 6+...

.....until I got home and found out it was 6 fucking inches. I think the 6+ might work for me if it's not too much bigger than the Galaxy S5.
Try to find a Note 3 if you can. That's about the closest thing, but the iPhone 6 Plus will be thinner.

Yes, the 6 Plus is six inches tall.

Try to find a Note 3 if you can. That's about the closest thing, but the iPhone 6 Plus will be thinner.

Yes, the 6 Plus is six inches tall.

I was looking for one, but they didn't have one on display. And I'm probably okay with it being 6" tall. The Lumia's screen all by itself was 6". total 6.4" tall.

Xcellere

Has anyone seen a screen protector for the 6 that has accurately sized cutouts? The ones I've seen all have these ridiculous holes on the top and bottom:

iPhone6_antiglare3.jpg

Mine did as well...

Mine too. I spoke to an AT&T rep and he said it's still on for 9/19 delivery.

I went over to an AT&T store earlier today to look at some phones that I thought were in the ballpark. I decided I really liked the size of the Galaxy S5 and assumed it was the size of the iPhone 6...but didn't realize until I got home that it was actually a meaningful bit bigger at 5.1". I also looked at the Lumia 1320 thinking that was similar in size to the iPhone 6+...

It's only a picture so it doesn't help if you were trying to get hands one, but here is a comparison between the 6 Plus and Galaxy S5.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-6-iphone-6-plus-size-comparison/#/22

DOWN

Banned
So now I'm thinking I might go with this case:
http://www.att.com/cases/body-glove-satin-gel-iphone-case-iphone-6.html#fbid=?sku=sku7380443

Sounds like it covers the entire phone in a slim and soft material, which is important for when I have a case on (I hate cases but I'll suck it up for a while). No TPU, plastic, polycarbonate, etc. Those can all scuff the metal. And I definitely need it really slim, which is why I still might go for the tight fit of the official Apple cases, despite the open bottom.

LordOfChaos

So, 6S, S is for sapphire?
By the way, ion strengthened glass is exactly the process Corning uses for Gorilla Glass 3, I think they're just avoiding saying the brand to make it sound more advanced.

CPU bump is quite a letdown this time, I doubt 20% will be perceptible. Though understandably it's harder and harder to increase single threaded performance since the architecture is already nearly as wide as Haswell without just increasing clock speed, which would impact battery life and heat. So I wonder if next round, they'll cave and go with quad cores, as single threaded gains will be hard to do.

lexi

Banned
The 6 plus if anything would be better at dissipating heat. The iPad Mini Retina runs a tad hotter than an iPad Air, for example.

HGStormy

Banned
So, I ordered my 6 from the apple website, and it says delivery oct 1-oct 6.
If, for example, I didn't want to wait that long, is there a way for me to go pick it up in-store?

If, for example, I didn't want to wait that long, is there a way for me to go pick it up in-store?

When you ordered the IPhone, it gave you an option to pick up in-store. Not too sure if you can change that, but I would give them a call.

Squalor

Your pre-order is your pre-order. If you were to change the shipping method at this point, which you could only do by calling Apple, it wouldn't change it to day one.

You could have chosen "pick up in store" when you made the order originally.

HGStormy

Banned
Your pre-order is your pre-order. If you were to change the shipping method at this point, which you could only do by calling Apple, it wouldn't change it to day one.

You could have chosen "pick up in store" when you made the order originally.

That's what I thought. I think I'll just wait for it to ship c: hype yay
Can't wait to finally get LTE speeds, since the GS5 I have is the global model that doesn't have it.

If I show up early at a Verizon corporate store on Friday, do you think they will have iPhones for walk-in customers, or are they all reserved? Like, do they have a set number they set aside for a "launch" just for normal foot traffic?

Squalor

If I show up early at a Verizon corporate store on Friday, do you think they will have iPhones for walk-in customers, or are they all reserved? Like, do they have a set number they set aside for a "launch" just for normal foot traffic?
Yes, there will be a walk-in stock.

In most places, people will be camping out for them, though.

Mononoke

Banned

Regular iPhone 6's yea. The 6 + probably won't be in stock for most stores (except Apple stores). And even those will be very limited. But there should be regular 6's in stock for most places.

Enzom21

So has anyone's shipping changed a few times? I have two 6+s and my space gray went from 10/13 to 10/02 and my gold went from 10/02 to back ordered back to 10/02. Now they both say preparing to ship. I expect more shipping changes tomorrow.

Top Bottom