• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

This is what tipped the scales for me. The battery/camera are definitely solid pros. I'm not 100% sure about the screen due to the downsampling (seems like it's going to be fine and/or better, but who knows) and the performance. That many more pixels being pushed with the same hardware should mean noticeably worse performance.

...but the thought that I might start heavily watching video content on the go. Maybe read a book. Have a much more pleasant web experience due to all that screen...

Fundamentally changing how I use my phone is a very attractive thought.

Fundamentally changing the amount of pocket space my phone takes up on the other hand...

God I hope this thing is manageable.

For fun I just put a Vita in the pocket of my jeans. That actually didn't seem all too bad. I don't wear particularly tight jeans but it didn't feel like a problem when I sat down or anything, and the Vita is bigger than an iPhone 6 Plus. I think it will work out just fine.

I primarily want it to replace the iPad Mini in my life as well. I will probably give that to the girlfriend. The cost of just one device every two years is what I'm going for now. That would be great.

ElyrionX

Coming back to iOS after a shitty two years with Samsung's terrible S3.

Question, is it possible to sync my contacts and calendar with my Google/Gmail account on the iOS like how I do it on my Android device?

yami4ct

Who will use their ipad less after iphone 5.5 purchase.

I've been slowly phasing out using my iPad 3 for the past year or so. I far prefer web-browsing on my laptop, for instance and the Macbook Air is portable enough for household uses. I now predominately use it for reading full-page content like magazines and comics and I don't see myself switching away from that as I like the 10-inch format.

For quick video watching and recipe viewing, I do expect I'll be moving away from my macbook and to the larger iPhone as it's now big enough to be useful for that.

Deku Tree

Coming back to iOS after a shitty two years with Samsung's terrible S3.

Question, is it possible to sync my contacts and calendar with my Google/Gmail account on the iOS like how I do it on my Android device?

Yes it's easy. Built right into the iOS as an option.

DOWN

Banned
Normally I've bought Zagg Invisibleshields for my iPhones. I like the HD version which has almost no "orange peel" effect that these self-healing military film's can have and I liked having Best Buy install it since it is one of those kinds you need to spray and apply wet.

This time, I think I'll try the tempered glass screen protectors since they supposedly maintain the look and feel of the actual screen, unlike plastic protectors, and still are very protective. I was thinking of going with Zagg again, but since the glass kind are adhesive instead of wet-apply, I think I can do it myself. So instead of Zagg's $35 version, I will likely go with the Spigen version which seems to boast the same specs at $15:

71kpqJtHObL._SL1500_.jpg

And now for cases, I'm down to Apple's, or this Verizon Silicone case (surprisingly, this is the only silicone case I've found that is slim and not part of a two-piece or fat case):

Or this faux leather case by Snugg:

yami4ct

What about away from home?

You use a tablet outside of the home? Not being reductive, just curious. I personally just never find it useful, even though I carry a messenger bag almost everywhere. I've used it on planes before, but outside of those instances my bag just has my macbook, my game handhelds and my kindle for reading.

DOWN

Banned
Well, I will use a computer at home.

Away from home I would like the option of not bringing two devices with me.

Personally, I want the 6 regular and I'll get an iPad Air sometime. Nothing beats having a tablet in reach on the couch at home. A laptop is a pretty uncomfortable device to have on a lap, in my opinion.

Deku Tree

You use a tablet outside of the home? Not being reductive, just curious. I personally just never find it useful, even though I carry a messenger bag almost everywhere. I've used it on planes before, but outside of those instances my bag just has my macbook, my game handhelds and my kindle for reading.

Yes I do. I do a lot of reading pdf files.

I would never bring a tablet for use outside of the house to begin with (unless we are talking hotel room).

For me, my phone is perfect for everywhere I would be wearing pants.

I think how differently we use our tablets speaks to how differently we would use our large form factor phones. My iPad Mini gets primary use to and from work. I read on it and also use it for some lite gaming. It's also great for long plane rides.

I generally use it for entertainment consumption on commutes and barely ever use it at home.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think how differently we use our tablets speaks to how differently we would use our large form factor phones. My iPad Mini gets primary use to and from work. I read on it and also use it for some lite gaming. It's also great for long plane rides.

I generally use it for entertainment consumption on commutes and barely ever use it at home.

The difference between 8" and 5.5" is pretty large when it comes to readability of text, particularly for long form reading.

I can read Gaf all day on my phone but would prefer not to read a book on it.

Personally, I want the 6 regular and I'll get an iPad Air sometime. Nothing beats having a tablet in reach on the couch at home. A laptop is a pretty uncomfortable device to have on a lap, in my opinion.

Yeah, my phone tends to be more in reach than my iPad Mini at home. My phone is always right beside me.

I love the Mini too. It just seems to make more sense to roll both devices into one considering how I use them. I was planning on upgrading to a Retina Mini 2 this year. Decided to just move that money to the iPhone 6 Plus.

DOWN

Banned

Just curious, do you use iBooks or Kindle App to read? I've yet to start a digital library, but I presumably will go with Kindle since I may get one sometime and it works across everything, often with better prices.

Just curious, do you use iBooks or Kindle App to read? I've yet to start a digital library, but I presumably will go with Kindle since I may get one sometime and it works across everything, often with better prices.

I have a mix of both. I tend to lean towards the Kindle app though since I will impulse buy on the website and the book will just auto load on the app.

Bgamer90

Banned

I probably will a little bit due to the iPhone 6 Plus having a better battery life, but I have a regular sized iPad (4th gen) so I will still be using it when I'm at home more than likely. Though I do wonder if it will be hard to go back to it due to the difference in screen quality.

But anyway, if I had an iPad Mini then yeah -- I would definitely use that less. I would probably sell it to be honest.

I take my iPad Mini to work. It's really good for web browsing at lunch. I'll still probably use it even after getting a 6+ because it's still not a pinch on the 7". The 6+ will be far better than a 4 for when I don't take my iPad Mini with me.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I use my phone constantly throughout the day. It's my most important tech item. I'm on in, non-stop, throughout the day. It's my alarm, it's my calendar, it's my email when I'm walking around at work, it's how my clients and co-workers contact me. It's my entertainment - texts, Facebook, Snapchat. It's my main connection to the internet when I'm not on my couch. It's my music player - Bluetooth in my car, bluetooth in my bathroom... headphones at the gym. It's my main camera.

I use my iPad Air, typically, when I'm traveling. I use it when I'm stuck on a two hour layover at an airport, or chilling in a hotel room. It's also what I grab when I don't trust leaving my laptop unattained, or if it might get damaged.

I use my Retina MBP when I'm at home. Right now, for example, the GF is asleep on the couch, I'm in a chair, watching the football game and browsing GAF. My laptop is also my "main" device where I store my documents, sync my devices, and of course, am actually productive - Adobe Design Suite, Premiere, Word, etc.

... and then I have my gaming PC, for, well, gaming.

I can't see myself ever combining any of these things; they all serve a unique purpose. Only thing I might see myself doing is, now that I have more than 16GB of space, playing catchup on all the apps and stop bringing a 3DS with me when I travel.

NYR

Another Samsung ad, another jab at apple.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/14/galaxy-note-4-ad-6-plus/

Samsung sure does love talking about Apple in their commercials.

It is true, though. Reviews based the Note bashed its size yet the iPhone 6 Plus is being applauded for its size and "ease of use". It is the reality distortion field at its finest.

If anything, they sound like a jilted lover who got left at the alter for their near identical twin sister. Not classy, but not wrong either.

I use my phone constantly throughout the day. It's my most important tech item. I'm on in, non-stop, throughout the day. It's my alarm, it's my calendar, it's my email when I'm walking around at work, it's how my clients and co-workers contact me. It's my entertainment - texts, Facebook, Snapchat. It's my main connection to the internet when I'm not on my couch. It's my music player - Bluetooth in my car, bluetooth in my bathroom... headphones at the gym. It's my main camera.

I use my iPad Air, typically, when I'm traveling. I use it when I'm stuck on a two hour layover at an airport, or chilling in a hotel room. It's also what I grab when I don't trust leaving my laptop unattained, or if it might get damaged.

I use my Retina MBP when I'm at home. Right now, for example, the GF is asleep on the couch, I'm in a chair, watching the football game and browsing GAF. My laptop is also my "main" device where I store my documents, sync my devices, and of course, am actually productive - Adobe Design Suite, Premiere, Word, etc.

I can't see myself ever combining any of these things; they all serve a unique purpose. Only thing I might see myself doing is, now that I have more than 16GB of space, playing catchup on all the apps and stop bringing a 3DS with me when I travel.
You and I are living the same life.

If I end up waiting out in front of an Apple store on launch day, what's the deal with activating the phone? I've never actually bought a phone through the Apple store, its always been at the carrier's store. Would I just have to head over to my nearest Verizon after?

If I end up waiting out in front of an Apple store on launch day, what's the deal with activating the phone? I've never actually bought a phone through the Apple store, its always been at the carrier's store. Would I just have to head over to my nearest Verizon after?

Ape handles everything.

Personally I retired my gaming pc after I bought my rMBP. I use my iPhone for all reading. This is part of the reason why I am looking forward to the bigger iPhone as sometimes the screen on my 5 simply is too small.

Well...

...I suspect I'll be a little less inclined to take it with me on short trips like I often do now. But it'll still very much be a staple. I rather like the sound of that.

But the shit needs to fit comfortably in my pocket. No if's ands or buts.

lustrate

Verizon has finally charged me. Their website says to check back tomorrow for a tracking number.

I don't think my new iPhone Plus will replace my iPad. I also use a rMBP and a gaming PC for the internet and it's usually up to where I want to sit and what I'm viewing. The iPad is perfect for catching up on my favorite sites and reading an article on Ars or The Atlantic. My rMBP is perfect for when I know I'm going to be online for a while. I personally love having access to so many devices so even if they do overlap a bit I wouldn't see that as a bad thing.

lexi

Banned
I don't get those Samsung ads with the two guys. One of them loves Samsung? Why does he work for Apple? He loves Samsung but still is depicted as a huge nerd who uses the S-Pen to draw his waifu? Wtf is with this messaging?

Bacon

For those who waited to pre order, how long does it estimate the phone to get to you? Not sure if I should pre order now or try and go to the store on friday and get one.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
That's because nobody cares about their plastic phones that have been showcased in ads poking at Apple for over 2 years straight. They just don't have the power to make anything great synonymous with their name when it comes to mobile features.

If Samsung was as good as they think they are they'd just ignore the iphone in their ads. No matter what the context, bringing up apple in their commercials comes off as desperate.

element

Anyone know the deal with store pickup? I decided to pick mine up at a local Apple Store over having it shipping because during iPhone 5 some orders didn't come in until much later in the day or even the next day.

Mononoke

Banned
For those who waited to pre order, how long does it estimate the phone to get to you? Not sure if I should pre order now or try and go to the store on friday and get one.

Depends on the carrier and model. The 6 + seems to b 3-4 or 4-6 weeks back ordered for a lot of carriers. Since you would be pre-ordering now, you are probably looking a 4-6 weeks. If you just want the regular 6, you should be able to get one on launch date if you wait in line. I think, pre-ordering it now would probably be like 2 weeks.

EDIT: actually a lot of pre-orders for the regular 6 still say Sept 19th delivery. So I guess it's possible to still get it really quick.

Anyone know the deal with store pickup? I decided to pick mine up at a local Apple Store over having it shipping because during iPhone 5 some orders didn't come in until much later in the day or even the next day.

They will have a separate line for pre-orders. So you will get in and out much quicker.

Corgi

Banned

depends on when and where. i'd probably won't know until having the 6+ about for a while, but i can't imagine it being that different from my current setup of 5 and retina mini.

ipad at home, iphone out and about.

kaskade

It's kind of annoying seeing that fedex has my package so close and I have to wait until Friday. Going to be such an awesome weekend.

DOWN

Banned
It's kind of annoying seeing that fedex has my package so close and I have to wait until Friday. Going to be such an awesome weekend.

Yeah I kinda wish there was a ship date rule or something where as long as the creator has released it, the public is allowed to buy and access it. Like when games are sitting in stores for a week because of the street date. It just would be so much easier for my impatient self if I could just have it when it's there in reach instead of told to hang on a minute for arbitrary reasons.

Top Bottom