• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Mononoke

Banned
You can as long as it's not preparing to ship. If it is, you'll have to return it when you get it.

Wish I could do this with my Sprint order. But it was done through them, and not Apple so they would tell me to bugger off. :p

It just kills me to know that Apple stores will have Sprint versions in stock on release, while they couldn't supply Sprint enough to even cover half of the pre-orders. Kind of makes me annoyed that Sprint even did the pre-orders this way. But I guess when you have something in this high demand, the line has to start somewhere. So they have to jump out and get people in line even if it takes weeks to a month to start getting them out to everyone. I just wish that Apple's site didn't crash like it did, and that I would have been lucky and been able to get a sprint 12gb + through them.

Clipse

If I show up early at a Verizon corporate store on Friday, do you think they will have iPhones for walk-in customers, or are they all reserved? Like, do they have a set number they set aside for a "launch" just for normal foot traffic?
AFAIK, all stock should be "first come, first serve." When you pre-order in-store, the phone is shipped to your home, not the actual store you pre-ordered at.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So my 64GB slate grey 6 is getting delivered to my work on Friday, and I get back from holiday on Saturday morning. It's going to be a long weekend, ha. Oh well, could be worse. Signing up for my £15 unlimited data plan this week so the sim card arrives at the same time and I'll be good to go on Monday morning, restoring from iCloud should mean I'll be rocking a brand new phone all set up by the time I've finished catching up on emails. Can't wait.

MercuryLS

Banned
Is it easy to change an iPhone 5 screen? Or should I pay an extra $30 and get in installed by someone else?

I want to sell this thing but it's going to be impossible to get a decent price with this cracked screen.

giga

Didn't know this. Apple Pay works on existing NFC terminals.

When Apple announced its payments platform earlier this week, it proudly proclaimed that it had 220,000 retail stores and restaurants on board to accept Apple Pay. What it didn't note was that a large number of those brick-and-mortar shops have been accepting contactless payments for years. McDonald's, Walgreens, and Staples, to name a few, were launch partners for Google Wallet in 2011 and many of those chains were accepting contactless payments from MasterCard's PayPass before that. Whole Foods, which got a huge shout-out from Apple at its event on Tuesday, told Ars that nothing about its NFC terminals has changed to accommodate Apple Pay specifically. “All checkout lanes in all of our stores do have the NFC pads, and we’re already accepting NFC payments as it seems you’ve already experienced,” a spokesperson told Ars. “These same NFC pads can and will accept Apple Pay transactions the moment Apple turns on the service.”

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...-where-others-have-had-underwhelming-results/

Draper

So has anyone's shipping changed a few times? I have two 6+s and my space gray went from 10/13 to 10/02 and my gold went from 10/02 to back ordered back to 10/02. Now they both say preparing to ship. I expect more shipping changes tomorrow.

From apple.com?

MercuryLS

Banned
This points to good things for an Australian rollout, NFC terminals are everywhere, I use PayPass / PayWave for 90% of my transactions.

Same for Canada, we've got NFC terminal is most places and have had them for a long time. Very excited for Apple Pay to launch here.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
So most people went with the 6 Plus?

A quick look at this thread suggests that.

I've seen a much more even split than I expected. Informal polls I've seen on Reddit as well show things being much closer to 50/50. Probably more like 60/40 or 65/35 in favor of the vanilla 6.

I assumed only psychos like myself would be aiming at the 6+, but a lot more people are going for that option.

Wonder how much battery life is playing into the decision. I'm assuming it's a huge factor, if not thee factor for most people.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've seen a much more even split than I expected. Informal polls I've seen on Reddit as well show things being much closer to 50/50. Probably more like 60/40 or 65/35 in favor of the vanilla 6.

I assumed only psychos like myself would be aiming at the 6+, but a lot more people are going for that option.

Wonder how much battery life is playing into the decision. I'm assuming it's a huge factor, if not thee factor for most people.

I've never cared for a bigger screen, ever. That said, I'm not a "phablet hater" - I've always understood the allure of the Note line, and even considered getting a used one as a "toy around with" gadget.

When the rumors started swirling, I was dead set on the 4.7". Just didn't see the need for 5.5". I can palm the iPad mini, sure... but I like the pocket-ability of the smaller one, and it's undoubtedly easier to one-hand text on.

That said, the battery pulled me to the 6 Plus. On a Friday night, after a long day's work, I find myself sometimes hitting the bars around 8-9pm, with about 20% battery left. JUST past that point where I'm concerned all night about my charge. The 6 Plus sounds like it'll have just enough of a boost that that same night, I'd be starting out with 35-40% - MUCH better, and the difference between me using my phone or conserving it in my pocket.

6 Plus it was. Arrives the 19th.

I went with 6 because I run with my phone. Otherwise I would have gone 6+.

lexi

Banned
When the rumors started swirling, I was dead set on the 4.7". Just didn't see the need for 5.5". I can palm the iPad mini, sure... but I like the pocket-ability of the smaller one, and it's undoubtedly easier to one-hand text on..

Me too. I was dead-set on the 4.7"

That changed when the 6 Plus was revealed to have better battery, better display and a better camera. I also came to the decision that consolidating tablet use and phone use into one device is pretty awesome.

Keylime

I also came to the decision that consolidating tablet use and phone use into one device is pretty awesome.

This is what tipped the scales for me. The battery/camera are definitely solid pros. I'm not 100% sure about the screen due to the downsampling (seems like it's going to be fine and/or better, but who knows) and the performance. That many more pixels being pushed with the same hardware should mean noticeably worse performance.

...but the thought that I might start heavily watching video content on the go. Maybe read a book. Have a much more pleasant web experience due to all that screen...

Fundamentally changing how I use my phone is a very attractive thought.

Fundamentally changing the amount of pocket space my phone takes up on the other hand...

God I hope this thing is manageable.

Keylime

Some positive outlook from a current dev on the state of scaling existing apps to the new devices

I think the best bit about it is that it doesn't have to affect the way we work at all. Everything made for a 4" screen looks perfect on the 4.7/5.5" screen sizes.

Apple have ways in Xcode of taking advantage of these larger screens, but, it is not absolutely necessary, and devs can take a one size fits all mentality.

It also means those legacy apps, which perhaps don't have dev support any more, but are still used by users, won't look odd on the new devices.

Me too. I was dead-set on the 4.7"

That changed when the 6 Plus was revealed to have better battery, better display and a better camera. I also came to the decision that consolidating tablet use and phone use into one device is pretty awesome.

Yep. I'm really disappointed that the iPhone 6 has inferior battery, camera, and screen. I really figured 4.7 would be perfect for me but I can't turn my back on 30% more battery and 1080p. No way. I could deal with missing the camera feature but battery and screen resolution are absolute deal breakers.

BearPawB

Banned
Verizon Order updated.
Still no date...but I have a real order now instead of just a preorder (6+)

but it has the "order date" as today....which makes me nervous.

Shearie

I also came to the decision that consolidating tablet use and phone use into one device is pretty awesome.

For me, I don't think I'll ever just use one device until the day computers can morph into any size I want and have week long battery life. I use both my iPhone and my iPad mini a lot but for somewhat different things and if I consolidated that usage to just the 6 Plus that battery would be run down quick and the size would be a compromise in both directions. And if you give me the choice of using the mini or 6 plus as my main consumption device, I'll always go for the mini. I do understand that's probably not the case for a lot of people since I'm someone who carries a backpack around everywhere I go with my iPad mini and MacBook in it, and that's great for me because I never need to compromise with what I want to use or worry about battery life.

So long story short, 4.7 for me.....in May sadly, since that's when I get subsidized pricing.

I take it if my contract doesn't expire till early October, I can't just order now and wait for it to ship post expiration of contract and still get the subsidized pricing, can I?

I'm guessing I'll be waiting till November for the thing.

I take it if my contract doesn't expire till early October, I can't just order now and wait for it to ship post expiration of contract and still get the subsidized pricing, can I?

I'm guessing I'll be waiting till November for the thing.

I don't think so. I think your pricing is based on the date you place your order.

yami4ct

Verizon Order updated.
Still no date...but I have a real order now instead of just a preorder (6+)

but it has the "order date" as today....which makes me nervous.

Just checked mine and it did the same thing. I was in the first few minutes of orders begin up, so I wouldn't be too worried about the shifting order date. I think it more has to do with verizon's system being garbage about handling all this stuff. If the rumor is true and verizon reps are hand processing all orders, I can easily see why all this date stuff getting screwed up.

Long story short, I suspect this means Verizon is getting ready to ship our orders now that they've entered the system as orders instead of preorders.

BearPawB

Banned
Just checked mine and it did the same thing. I was in the first few minutes of orders begin up, so I wouldn't be too worried about the shifting order date. I think it more has to do with verizon's system being garbage about handling all this stuff. If the rumor is true and verizon reps are hand processing all orders, I can easily see why all this date stuff getting screwed up.

Long story short, I suspect this means Verizon is getting ready to ship our orders now that they've entered the system as orders instead of preorders.

Woah, yikes, where did you hear that rumor?

And yeah. I'm taking any change of information as a good sign.

Verizon emailed me due to wanting to confirm my credit card info as my card auto pinged it for fraud.

I called an authorized my purchase. I already had a iPhone 6 being delivered by Verizon and the lady was confirming my 6 Plus order payment. I asked if it was shopping to arrive 9/19 or the later date as claimed on their Order Status site and she confirmed it was 9/19 and the warehouse would now process my order.

Nice pleasant surprise. Only problem is the 6 Plus is a 16gb. I'll use it until the 6 Plus I have on order from Apple gets in (64GB) in early October.

(yes I has three phones on order)

yami4ct

Woah, yikes, where did you hear that rumor?

And yeah. I'm taking any change of information as a good sign.

Over on Macrumors. Apparently it was something stated offhand by some (non-customer service) verizon rep told a member about their order processing practices. Given the source, 99% chance it's bullshit, but Verizon's website is so ass backwards I could almost believe it.

yami4ct

is it still possible to get a 6+ on sprint anytime soon?

Apple's website gives a 3-4 week estimate for delivery of a 6+ if you order right now. Sprint's site doesn't seem to list dates, but I suspect they're just as far out if not further.

If you want one before that, your best bet is to line up for the Friday launch or try to line-up for one of the eventual restocks. Seems like 6+s will have stock issues at least until late Oct, if not longer.

sadromeo

So being in Los Angeles, is it safe to line up like 3 am on Friday, or should I prepare a longer camp out starting Thursday night?

I have a pre-ordered 6+ but want to get another 6+ for the gf.

Mononoke

Banned
So being in Los Angeles, is it safe to line up like 3 am on Friday, or should I prepare a longer camp out starting Thursday night?

I have a pre-ordered 6+ but want to get another 6+ for the gf.

I assume you mean the apple store? Because I hear that 6 + models are going to be non-existent in stores for most places. I would expect Apple stores to have some though. But they are going to be limited. So I would get there VERY early. Maybe even call the store a day before, and make sure they will even have some in stock (although sometimes they won't tell you).

Top Bottom