• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Bacon

Can someone explain to me how the Verizon trade in thing works? I've never done it before. If I pre-order the 6 online do I just promise to trade in the 4s when the 6 arrives, or do I need to send in the phone before I get the 6?

Edit: Nvm I figured it out :)

Ninja Dom

Video experts??

So with the 6 & 6S now doing 240fps slow motion, what difference will I notice over the 5S current 120fps slow motion?

So, 6S, S is for sapphire?
By the way, ion strengthened glass is exactly the process Corning uses for Gorilla Glass 3, I think they're just avoiding saying the brand to make it sound more advanced.

CPU bump is quite a letdown this time, I doubt 20% will be perceptible. Though understandably it's harder and harder to increase single threaded performance since the architecture is already nearly as wide as Haswell without just increasing clock speed, which would impact battery life and heat. So I wonder if next round, they'll cave and go with quad cores, as single threaded gains will be hard to do.

I hope Anandtech has a really good breakdown of the processor, even though they've lost two of their best guys in recent months. What are they using the double amount of transistors for?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Probably won't be around on Friday to sign for the delivery, so once they attempt to deliver I can arrange to pick it up, correct? Available Friday night or Saturday?
You could always pre-sign for the phone and just take the risk that someone may pick it up from your doorstep if you didn't want to mess around with finding the location and hoping they're open when you go, etc etc.

Edit: Oh, there's a next page where someone already answered this...blah!

Squalor

So I just saw this even though it's been talked about here. What is this whole "Administration" thing?
It means another company has taken over operations for the company.

The takeover company acts as an umbrella for the taken-over company to implement restructuring and help the protected company out of debt.

ZeroX03

Banned
Video experts??

So with the 6 & 6S now doing 240fps slow motion, what difference will I notice over the 5S current 120fps slow motion?

If you playback at 30fps normally, you're basically seeing it 4x slower than it normally is at 120fps. 240fps is 8x slower. It'll be pretty slow and you'll get to see a lot more detail than normal in video but the image quality will take a dip as a trade off.

If you use slow mo a lot the difference will be substantial, but if it's not something you utilized on the 5S, 240fps won't change that.

HUELEN10

The takeover company acts as an umbrella for the taken-over company to implement restructuring and help the protected company out of debt.
Why couldn't they time this earlier/later then? This is horrible!

Squalor

Why couldn't they time this earlier/later then? This is horrible!
As I work for neither company, I have no clue.

Also, I have never even heard of that company before. I don't live in the U.K.

It's definitely unfortunate for the people who pre-ordered, though. Now they have to wait in line Friday if they want the phone early. By now, all other pre-orders are going to be a week out at the least.

HUELEN10

dhWXj8m.jpg

Anyone else just love Joy? If not, why not start now!

What time did you get your order in? Mine was 09/12/2014 03:53:08 eastern.

You know, the amazing thing is yeah, I still haven't gotten a confirmation email but when I called Verizon Friday morning they said they could see everything about the order on their end.

I got my order in at 4:05A on 9/12/14. I checked the site this morning and the status of the order has changed to "Awaiting Inventory" with a deliver by date of 9/19. It doesn't show as cancelled.

As for the txt I received Saturday morning, here is what it said specifically:

VZW FREE MSG:
confirmation <long number>
Location <shorter number> and any related Plan or Feature changes placed on 09/12/2014 has been canceled. To re-order, please visit <verizon's url> a Verizon Wireless retail location, or by calling <verizon's 800 #> to speak to a representative.

The strange thing is that I cannot find corresponding confirmation or location numbers on my order or our account. And since the status of my order changed and wasn't canceled, I'm thinking/hoping this is just some kind of glitch. This is through a managed business account and the lady whose name is on the account is away on business. I'm basically using her login to check the site. I wonder if they would even talk to me about it if I called.

That's wrong though. Think of Administration as a Chapter 11 process - basically, the Company lost its sources of income in EE/Vodafone. To add to that, they don't own any of the real estate (i.e., they are leasing their stores, they actually don't own them), so they can't sell the real estate to repay creditors. Company is effectively worthless and has placed itself under the protection of the Court which will now effectively operate temporarily Phones4U for cash until 1) a buyer comes or 2) debts are repaid. What's most likely going to happen is that either someone comes in and buy this company on the (very, very) cheap (although means very little as there is nothing of value to buy), or (by far likeliest outcome) the Company is liquidated (i.e. court collects all the cash the Company has and is due to receive and distributes to Lenders).

Shareholder already made a killing on the Company (through special dividends) so they don't care at this point. Bondholders are getting screwed, though. Come to think that 6 months ago, that Company was due to IPO... lol

Corgi

Banned
hmmm anyone ever used a phablet while at the gym/jogging?

trying to figure out if I need to get a cheapo mp3 player... hmmm

Tadale

I was in Europe when the preorders went live - I ordered two phones from Verizon, thinking that I might hit some fraud prevention thing since I was away from home. Sure enough, I got an email over the weekend to call Verizon to confirm the order, but the fraud line is only a Monday - Saturday thing and I wasn't back in the states until Sunday. Calling today, the rep tells me that the system automatically cancels orders made from overseas IP addresses and that nothing can be done to verify the order. So it looks like I'm SOL - I'm running by a Verizon store later today just to double check.

What's the outlook for waiting in line at an Apple store on Friday morning?

Damn, talk about a wild ride then, sucks for everyone don't it?

Funniest (I guess?) thing though is that a lot of hedge funds presumably bought the bonds when they were selling at a deep discount (after the Vodafone announcement)... but now these bonds are virtually worthless. So everyone is losing here... (you won't see a vulture situation like in Argentina or something).

UK is massively over-retailed; but that business model made practically no sense nowadays as the telcos are trying to expand their retail presence (effectively cannibalizing their sales with contracts with Phones4U/Carphone Warehouse).

Carphone Warehouse (exactly similar to Phones4U) saw it coming and merged with Dixons, who's a diversified retailer (more akin to Best Buy).

Apath

There are people in line since August as I recall
. But considering the whole preordering fiasco (especially if going through T-mobile ugh), I'm anticipating even bigger lines that start even earlier than it has through the years.
What the fuck. Do these people not have lives?
----------------------
EDIT:
Bonnie is a huge Apple fan, and she can&#8217;t wait to buy the new phone, but her up-to-two-weeks posting on Regent Street has an ulterior motive. She is operations lead for TaskRabbit in the U.K., and her camp-out is part of a public-relations strategy for the company.
Okay, if it's work related I guess that makes some sense.
-----------------------

Reminds me of all the people who apparently have no family, because they line up for black friday Thursday morning. I always miss out on the best door busters because I have to go to dinner and cannot get in line until 8PM ;_;
By curiosity can you switch your recordings from slow-mo to normal speed?
Yes. After you film the video in 120 FPS mode, you can modify which parts are in slow motion and which are not. Though as far as I know, only one section can be in slow motion.

MicH

I think I'm gonna get the 4.7" 64GB 6 when preorders open on Friday. Still rocking a 4S and while it still works perfectly, I want something a little bigger. It depends on the price, though.

Keylime

I'm sure Apple tested the phone out on plenty of pants before determining the ideal size.

I just bought some new pants over the weekend that are a tighter fitting work slack and my iPhone 6+ cutout totally fits just fine in there without sticking out, and these have shallower pockets than my older pairs made by the same company.

Something that I think a lot of people forget when they do these size comparisons is that the weight and thickness of the true device is going to be substantially less than a lot of the common items I've seen it held against and elicited reactions out of people.
This thing is the size of a Vita or a 3DS!

...sure, in terms of height. But it's less than half as thick and weighs less. It's presence in your pocket is quite a bit less than those other devices.

Corgi

Banned
iphone-6-apple-employees-instructions.jpg

Seems like employees can reserve 6's, but not 6+.

not a good sign for people hoping to snag one without a reserve lol

dork

Banned
No one will be home Friday, can I leave a note on the door telling them to leave it there? Or can I remove the signature requirement? I don't have an issue of it being stolen either. Dead-end street in a very good neighborhood. Then again, it's always possible.

you can presign via apple.com in your account. Unless you ordered it elsewhere. not sure the handmade note works

Keylime

iphone-6-apple-employees-instructions.jpg

Seems like employees can reserve 6's, but not 6+.

not a good sign for people hoping to snag one without a reserve lol

The early reports were indicating that the 6+ was going to be supply constrained. I even warned my brother in law as much. He tried to pre-order at 5AM vs. 3AM and got #rekt.

Apath

The early reports were indicating that the 6+ was going to be supply constrained. I even warned my brother in law as much. He tried to pre-order at 5AM vs. 3AM and got #rekt.
If they are really going to sell for $2k+ on launch day, I will be extremely tempted to sell mine and hold out until mid-November.

Corgi

Banned

and all signs point to that with 6+ requiring 3-4weeks from apple store, and AT&T shipping them sometime this decade ;P

Keylime

and all signs point to that with 6+ requiring 3-4weeks from apple store, and AT&T shipping them sometime this decade ;P

AT&T: Sometime this decade*

*this decade meaning a 10 year period, not necessarily within the current decade of years (2010-2019).

I had pre-order problems and wasn't able to secure a 6+. I assume my only option now is to camp out at a store for release this Friday. I expect to call Verizon stores and determine which of them have the configuration I want on release day (6+, 128GB, Space Gray).

Then... I have to be near the front of the line.

What are the flaws in my plan?

Brandwin

My Preorder experience was a let down, partially my fault, partially the stores fault.

So I went into Best Buy Mobile in the mall Thursday night to ask about preorders - I went with Best Buy Mobile in the mall because I have preordered there before and there isn't much traffic and I wanted to pick up my phone instead of waiting for shipping - So I went over how much I need to put down, how much for my trade in etc... Guy gave me all the information and said to make sure I was there when they opened because he had received numerous calls.

So I go into work, tell my manager I was going to take 30 minutes or so of PTO so I could go order. I get there at 9:55 and no line, great! Doors open, guy starts going through the process of preordering and then tells me,
oh, sorry... we aren't taking preorders for the Plus, only the 6." WHAT!? I was just in last night and asked that specific question.

So it's my fault for just not waking up at 2am and trying to preorder through Apple like others did. I still haven't preordered though. Not sure if I want Plus or 6. I am afraid Plus will be too big. My plan was to get the Plus and if it's too big, just exchange for the 6.

I dunno too much!

Kinan

So, I have a problem, GAF. My wife wants the apple watch, when it has released. This means we should get an iphone first, so I have few questions for you guys.

Should we buy iphone 6 or 5s will suffice? Any expected missing features if we go the cheaper route?

I probably shall be visiting US at the end of October, can I just walk in into a store and buy unlocked gsm iphone 6 I can then smuggle back to Europe? Which store is the best in Washington DC area? What are the taxes there?

What are my chances to be caught by customs? Any experienced "smugglers" here? :) How much is the fine/tax if I am caught? :)

KevinG

I had pre-order problems and wasn't able to secure a 6+. I assume my only option now is to camp out at a store for release this Friday. I expect to call Verizon stores and determine which of them have the configuration I want on release day (6+, 128GB, Space Gray).

Then... I have to be near the front of the line.

What are the flaws in my plan?

Thinking there will be any 6 Plus models available. That's the flaw.

On a serious note, you might get lucky, but it doesn't look likely.

My Preorder experience was a let down, partially my fault, partially the stores fault.

So I went into Best Buy Mobile in the mall Thursday night to ask about preorders - I went with Best Buy Mobile in the mall because I have preordered there before and there isn't much traffic and I wanted to pick up my phone instead of waiting for shipping - So I went over how much I need to put down, how much for my trade in etc... Guy gave me all the information and said to make sure I was there when they opened because he had received numerous calls.

So I go into work, tell my manager I was going to take 30 minutes or so of PTO so I could go order. I get there at 9:55 and no line, great! Doors open, guy starts going through the process of preordering and then tells me,
oh, sorry... we aren't taking preorders for the Plus, only the 6." WHAT!? I was just in last night and asked that specific question.

So it's my fault for just not waking up at 2am and trying to preorder through Apple like others did. I still haven't preordered though. Not sure if I want Plus or 6. I am afraid Plus will be too big. My plan was to get the Plus and if it's too big, just exchange for the 6.

I dunno too much!

I preordered on Bell's store last night. I'm scared to see when it might ship. It took me a while to decide on what I wanted. I didn't want to rush into the purchase.

Oh well.

I was going to try Best Buy Mobile.

kaskade

Sometimes the FedEx guy delivers to my house and work since they are pretty close. I'll have to see maybe he can drop it off at work. I'm pretty sure someone will be home though. My house is actually pretty early in the route usually so I might even be home in the morning for it.

Corgi

Banned
i feel like if you are planning on waiting in line for a 6+ without a reserve, the best bet is probably not an apple store or carrier store, something like a target or radio shack or w/e else that stock phones.

nikos

i feel like if you are planning on waiting in line for a 6+ without a reserve, the best bet is probably not an apple store or carrier store, something like a target or radio shack or w/e else that stock phones.

I'd say the Apple store is the best bet. Some other stores probably won't receive any 6+ stock if it's that constrained, similar to the gold 5S last year.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm sure Apple tested the phone out on plenty of pants before determining the ideal size.
Lol, well played
So, I have a problem, GAF. My wife wants the apple watch, when it has released. This means we should get an iphone first, so I have few questions for you guys.

Should we buy iphone 6 or 5s will suffice? Any expected missing features if we go the cheaper route?

I probably shall be visiting US at the end of October, can I just walk in into a store and buy unlocked gsm iphone 6 I can then smuggle back to Europe? Which store is the best in Washington DC area? What are the taxes there?

What are my chances to be caught by customs? Any experienced "smugglers" here? :) How much is the fine/tax if I am caught? :)
the iPhone 6 has a barometer sensor (means better exercise data) but besides that, doesn't look like any other missing feature compared to the iPhone 5s when used with an AppleWatch. Perhaps NFC on the iPhone 6 will also enable easier pairing. We'll have to wait until launch time to find out more.

Assuming you can actually walk into a store in October and easily find an iPhone 6 that is. tax in DC is about 5.75%. You're supposed to declare the iPhone and pay duties when returning back to your European country but if you've been in the US for some time, and you take the iPhone out of its box and put your sim in it (as though you've been using it for a while), customs wouldn't really hassle you. Just don't buy a bunch of new ones to resell back home lol

ilife/iwork will come preinstalled on the 64gb/128gb 6 and 6+

This includes iMovie, GarageBand, Keynote, Pages, Numbers, and iTunes U. Owners of the 16GB models of Apple&#8217;s newest smartphones will still have access to these apps for free, but they must be manually downloaded from the App Store. It remains unclear as to whether or not GarageBand in-app purchases will also be available at no additional cost.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/15/ilife...e-installed-on-64gb-and-128gb-iphone-66-plus/

I'll be restoring from backup, so won't really matter to me.

For those going to an Apple Store next weekend, I can tell you that there was a decent amount of stock available last year for both the 5S and 5C throughout the weekend. Certain colors were hard to obtain, but phones were available.

Now that said, it appears that demand for the 6 and 6+ is far exceeding the demand for last year's models. I think the only chance you have in getting one this year is to line up and wait. I suspect there won't be many left in the stores after Friday.

Top Bottom