• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
This had me in tears

c2erp.jpg
Probably my favorite use of this meme so far.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Isn't that the point though, that some fanboys wouldn't change their opinion or buy that device because Apple didn't make it. what else is this

What is wrong with not liking an OS? Plenty of people won't buy iPhone because they don't like iOS, tons won't buy Windows phones because they don't like the OS. Some people won't buy macs because they don't like OS X and the same hold true for Windows. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being a fanboy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't that the point though, that some fanboys wouldn't change their opinion or buy that device because Apple didn't make it. what else is this

Not liking how an OS works and performs is a perfectly legitimate reason to not want something.

Blackhead

Redarse
What are you trying to prove here? His original posts weren't too bad, he admitted there's a market for it but it wasn't for him at the time (in part due to Android) and now that it's on iOS he is giving it a shot. I find it fascinating you feel the need to dig up old posts to try and what, shame people?

Sorry the term you used was "deliver some clamchowder"

... I am shaming RubxQub because I'm pointing out that back in 2012 he was shaming Galaxy Note users (saying the phone was laughably large, sold due to heavy marketing)?! lol wut?!

I have no problem with people liking different sized phones and changing their mind. Great for him. I do have a problem with people not keeping an open mind because their fave company hasn't made the device yet.

GAF, I think we need to have a serious discussion about phone shaming.
sQFxzNn.gif

kaskade

I'm glad the reviews come out tomorrow. Then I can obsessively read about the phone for a few days to give me something to do.

Bacon

... I am shaming RubxQub because I'm pointing out that back in 2012 he was shaming Galaxy Note users (saying the phone was laughably large, sold due to heavy marketing)?! lol wut?!

I have no problem with people liking different sized phones and changing their mind. I do have a problem with people not keeping an open mind because their fave company hasn't made the device yet.

sQFxzNn.gif

He admitted that it may be for some people, just not for him. That second paragraph is you putting thoughts into his head.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν

I have no problem with people liking different sized phones and changing their mind. Great for him. I do have a problem with people not keeping an open mind because their fave company hasn't made the device yet.

You're oddly warping what I said, man.

I said Android phones can be successful if they are heavily marketed, which is true. My point was that if some company releases a boss phone, but no one knows about it...it's going to be hard to sell it. My point was that the Nexus phone back at the time was considered a great Android device but it wasn't selling at all.

My opinion on large phones hasn't changed all that much. I'm still concerned that the phone I just purchased is going to be too big for me (I even still use the word "behemoth" to describe it as I did back then to describe the Note...consistent!).

Now that there is an iOS version of a behemo-phone, I'm willing to take a stab.

...so am I guilty of changing my opinion on super-sized phones? Not really.

...am I guilty of upsetting you so much in the past that you felt the need to zing me? Probably.

-griffy-

Banned

sQFxzNn.gif

But...why are you even doing this? He didn't even say anything about the Note in the post that set you off on your sleuthing. He was talking about the FlipBelt, and quoted someone else who said the Note fit in the FlipBelt. Like, what, I mean....it doesn't even make sense. What could have possibly even set you off to start trying to dig up dirt?

mf.luder

I'll buy when they announce Apple Pay plans for Canada. Other than that I think I can hold off.

I hope I think I can hold off

riotous

Banned
Well he said he'd never consider buying a device that large.

Then pre-ordered one once Apple offered it.

Big deal though; Android fans getting giddy every iphone release to spend days on end pointing out the same shit every year gets old.

It's much more obnoxious to me than any Apple fan I actually see on the internet. Most don't try to claim it's all revolutionary and are aware many Apple features are playing catch up. Get over it.

Sobriquet

I ordered the 6+ and I think they are comically large.

Me too. Here's how I picked the Plus:

Me: Hey, wife, should I get the big iPhone or the huge iPhone? *holds up cardboard cutouts*
Wife: The huge one.
Me: OK.

I wonder what we'll get more of, 6ers regretting not getting a Plus, or Plusers regretting not getting a 6.

Dunno. Plusers* will most likely be able to trade for a 6, but I'm not so sure it'll work the other way around, at least not within the 14-day (?) window.

*lol

Blackhead

Redarse
But...why are you even doing this? He didn't even say anything about the Note in the post that set you off on your sleuthing. He was talking about the FlipBelt, and quoted someone else who said the Note fit in the FlipBelt. Like, what, I mean....it doesn't even make sense. What could have possibly even set you off to start trying to dig up dirt?

Actually he's also recently posted in the beachbody (exercise) thread and I was surprised someone interested in exercise had never heard of the FlipBelt. Most people who've considered the larger Android phones would have heard about the various exercise accessories. But then it struck me that RubxQub has probably never considered any phone but an iPhone and I recalled all the stuff he wrote about Galaxy Note (including a direct reply to me at the time). *shrug* just wish Apple fans would open their minds a bit

Greyface gonna Greyface

of course

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well he said he'd never consider buying a device that large.

Then pre-ordered one once Apple offered it.

Big deal though; Android fans getting giddy every iphone release to spend days on end pointing out the same shit every year gets old.

It's much more obnoxious to me than any Apple fan I actually see on the internet. Most don't try to claim it's all revolutionary and are aware many Apple features are playing catch up. Get over it.

I swear nuanced opinions are just completely lost on so many people...

One thing, he said he would never consider buying the Note. It's a specific device. Being large was one reason, but the other reason was that it runs Android.

I don't see how his statement then is in any way contradicting his actions today.

mackattk

I wonder what we'll get more of, 6ers regretting not getting a Plus, or Plusers regretting not getting a 6.

Probably the former. There are literally no downsides to the 6+ other than the physical size; which for a lot of people they get accustomed to the size extremely fast.

Kinan

Lol, well played

the iPhone 6 has a barometer sensor (means better exercise data) but besides that, doesn't look like any other missing feature compared to the iPhone 5s when used with an AppleWatch. Perhaps NFC on the iPhone 6 will also enable easier pairing. We'll have to wait until launch time to find out more.

Assuming you can actually walk into a store in October and easily find an iPhone 6 that is. tax in DC is about 5.75%. You're supposed to declare the iPhone and pay duties when returning back to your European country but if you've been in the US for some time, and you take the iPhone out of its box and put your sim in it (as though you've been using it for a while), customs wouldn't really hassle you. Just don't buy a bunch of new ones to resell back home lol

Thanks a lot, we'll see how things develop in October. :)

Wel, this thread has gone interesting places...

On a different note. Has anyone heard anything about a dock for these phones? I keep my 4S in a dock on my desk all while I work, and would love to have one for my 6 as well. But when I was checking out the other day, I didn't see a dock listed anywhere. I hope they release one shortly.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Actually he's also recently posted in the beachbody (exercise) thread and I was surprised someone interested in exercise had never heard of the FlipBelt. Most people who've considered the larger Android phones would have heard about the various exercise accessories. But then it struck me that RubxQub has probably never considered any phone but an iPhone and I recalled all the stuff he wrote about Galaxy Note (including a direct reply to me at the time). *shrug* just wish Apple fans would open their minds a bit

You do P90X and T25 in the comforts of your own home!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'm into exercise and fitness and currently own an Android phone but have never heard of this FlipBelt thing. I browse GAF and other forums that deal with Fitness and tech, too. Just because you know about something does not mean that others will.

Why should anyone consider an Android phone when they don't like the OS. Hell, even if they like the OS, but prefer the features of iOS, why should they consider a non-iOS device? How does "opening their minds" benefit you? Are you a Google shareholder or something?

Flo_Evans

I'm sure I will get a few "hey is that the new iPhone? can I see it? oh its the smaller one?" <laugh> moments.

Thats why I went 128GB. Yeah its "only" a 6, but storage.

I worry that the 6+ may face issues in a few iOS updates. Might end up like the iPad 3... fill rate constrained in a few years when apps get heavier and heavier.

Tadale

I was in Europe when the preorders went live - I ordered two phones from Verizon, thinking that I might hit some fraud prevention thing since I was away from home. Sure enough, I got an email over the weekend to call Verizon to confirm the order, but the fraud line is only a Monday - Saturday thing and I wasn't back in the states until Sunday. Calling today, the rep tells me that the system automatically cancels orders made from overseas IP addresses and that nothing can be done to verify the order. So it looks like I'm SOL - I'm running by a Verizon store later today just to double check.

What's the outlook for waiting in line at an Apple store on Friday morning?

For all those on pins and needles over my harrowing story: a different Verizon rep on the fraud line was able to salvage my order, and it looks like it's still coming on launch day. Hopefully I won't have to brave the lines before work.

I run almost every day, and ride my bike (mountain and road) regularly. The only reason I know anything about the FiipBelt is because they gave me one to review. I've never seen anyone else wearing one, and that includes my weekly running group that routinely gets 100+ people.

riotous

Banned
I swear nuanced opinions are just completely lost on so many people...

One thing, he said he would never consider buying the Note. It's a specific device. Being large was one reason, but the other reason was that it runs Android.

I don't see how his statement then is in any way contradicting his actions today.

He said he doesn't want a crazy huge phone.

Yes, it was one of 2 reasons for his "never buy a Note," but it's pretty clear he's saying he doesn't want a phone that big.

It's not a a big deal but I don't know why you guys are denying that there is at least a small contradiction. My main point was that the person calling out is been petty either way.

Interfectum

I run almost every day, and ride my bike (mountain and road) regularly. The only reason I know anything about the FiipBelt is because they gave me one to review. I've never seen anyone else wearing one, and that includes my weekly running group that routinely gets 100+ people.

What would you suggest for a runner getting an iPhone 6+ to use? Flipbelt looks good but are there any other viable options (no armband please).

Yes, it was one of 2 reasons for his "never buy a Note," but it's pretty clear he's saying he doesn't want a phone that big.

It's not a a big deal but I don't know why you guys are denying that there is at least a small contradiction. My main point was that the person calling out is been petty either way.

People aren't denying it. We're just acknowledging that it's possible for someone's opinion to change over the course of two years.

I know mine has.

Cheech

I've seen them in my running group, but I run a GPS app that i like to look down and see my pace, etc. so I use an armband (Tuneband - Grantwood makes them) for my phone.

That said, I've been running for 3 years and only am just now going to try winter running this year. So we'll see how it goes for me. I might have to cave and do something else for phone transportation.

Blackhead

Redarse
Why should anyone consider an Android phone when they don't like the OS. Hell, even if they like the OS, but prefer the features of iOS, why should they consider a non-iOS device? How does "opening their minds" benefit you? Are you a Google shareholder or something?
lol wut?! I actually agreed with RubxQub about the OS, or did you miss the part where I bought and then dumped the original Galaxy Note because Android Gingerbread sucked? My point was that him calling the device laughably large. In the various Note threads over the past couple years you can find many Apple fans making fun of the size of the bigger Android phones. Even now, some folks are trying to do it with the Moto360 and other Android watches. I wish people should keep an open mind about the different options.

Cool, thanks for it sharing with gaf

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Why do you deal in absolutes?

This is a dumb thing to argue about, but read what he wrote. Read the actual words, not how you choose to interpret them.

My personal opinion is that the Note is a crazy behemoth of a phone that I'd never consider (partially because it's still Android, partially because I don't want a crazy huge phone)...but even I can acknowledge that there are probably consumers out there who want crazy huge phones with a stylus. It seems like there's some market for it.

He's specifically talking about the Note here. It's a massive phone (that's one negative) and it runs Android (that's another negative). It's not solely the fact that the phone is large that keeps him from wanting it. It's that aspect combined with the fact that it runs Android. That's the logic set here.

He even wrote this later on:

Not exactly thrilled with the idea of a bigger phone, but I'd give it a shot.

Admitting that he'd be willing to try a larger phone.

He just doesn't want an Android phone. There is no contradiction going on here

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
lol wut?! I actually agreed with RubxQub about the OS, or did you miss the part where I bought and then dumped the original Galaxy Note because Android Gingerbread sucked? My point was that him calling the device laughably large. In the various Note threads over the past couple years you can find many Apple fans making fun of the size of the bigger Android phones. Even now, some folks are trying to do it with the Moto360 and other Android watches. I wish people should keep an open mind about the different options.

Cool, thanks for sharing with gaf

I dunno. Nothing you quoted from RubxQub made it look logically inconsistent that he wouldn't eventually give a large iOS device a try.

I can't speak for other posters, but I've always wanted a larger device. That's part of the reason why I jumped from the iPhone 5S and picked up the Xperia Z1S earlier this year.

I don't much like Android, though, so I'll be going back with the 6 Plus.

riotous

Banned
People aren't denying it. We're just acknowledging that it's possible for someone's opinion to change over the course of two years.

I know mine has.

Well he claimed his opinion hadn't changed. Or at least "not really."

Others are attempting to back that up.

The tact opinions can change is why it's so petty to bring up; but it's also kind of petty to claim your opinion hasn't changed and really sort of lends credence to the call out however lame it was. Intellectual dishonesty at play.

But none of this matters lol.

I still need to hold these damn phones before I make a decision myself. Feel like I'll e eating months since I'm not doing any preordering. Not too concerned about waiting.

What would you suggest for a runner getting an iPhone 6+ to use? Flipbelt looks good but are there any other viable options (no armband please).

That's the $100 question at this point. I use an armband now with my iPod Touch, but may be switching to running with my phone once the Apple Watch comes out. An armband, even for my iPhone 6, may be way too large. I know it would be for the 6+ for sure, at least as far as I'm concerned. How far and often do you run? Streets or trails? I'd say the FlipBelt is a good option all around, and should work great with the 6+. Since the company gave me one, that might be what I transition to in the future. A hydration vest or running backpack is also a good option as well.

I've seen them in my running group, but I run a GPS app that i like to look down and see my pace, etc. so I use an armband (Tuneband - Grantwood makes them) for my phone.

That said, I've been running for 3 years and only am just now going to try winter running this year. So we'll see how it goes for me. I might have to cave and do something else for phone transportation.

I wear my armband in the winter and it works fine. The screen can get a bit sluggish on colder days though, but as a rule of thumb, I don't run outside when it hits single digits. Otherwise, it's all good.

My biggest problem is that in the summer, I sweat all over my gear. Not sure I want to risk doing that with my phone. We'll see. I have to figure these things out before the Watch ships.

Dsyndrome

What time on Friday did you have to order by to get the phone day 1? I ordered at 8:30 AM PST and it says the fucker's not shipping until October 14th.

riotous

Banned
This is a dumb thing to argue about, but read what he wrote. Read the actual words, not how you choose to interpret them.

I read his "actual words" mr condescending.

The ones where he says he doesn't want a crazy big phone. Repeatedly said it's not for him.

Then he claims his opinion hasn't really changed.... But... Bought one.

I directly quoted him... Perhaps you should read his actual words instead of how you want to interpret them.

I don't want a crazy huge phone

Top Bottom