• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
2014iphone-6-apple-employees-instructions.jpg

Seems like employees can reserve 6's, but not 6+.

not a good sign for people hoping to snag one without a reserve lol
I'm gonna waltz in and do it. It's cool.

Thinking about pre-ordering and doing in store pickup, but the apple store says "currently unavailable". It probably depends on the store, but anyone think it will be available again before Friday?

Brandwin

I preordered on Bell's store last night. I'm scared to see when it might ship. It took me a while to decide on what I wanted. I didn't want to rush into the purchase.

Oh well.

I was going to try Best Buy Mobile.

Apparently Best Buy has no idea if they will even get any Plus models in on release day.

Apparently Best Buy has no idea if they will even get any Plus models in on release day.

Wow. Glad I didn't go that route.

I could try lining up outside a Bell store in Toronto early since I ordered one and I've already been charged for one from them. They could probably handle the cancellation of the online order and just give me a phone in store with ease.

Corgi

Banned
I'd say the Apple store is the best bet. Some other stores probably won't receive any 6+ stock if it's that constrained, similar to the gold 5S last year.

yeah... i feel like at this point, people are pretty much boned for getting a 6+ at launch. Only chance is apple store, and thats seemingly unlikely lol

I think I'm gonna get the 4.7" 64GB 6 when preorders open on Friday. Still rocking a 4S and while it still works perfectly, I want something a little bigger. It depends on the price, though.

That's what I'm aiming for as well can't rock with a 16gb phone anymore.

bionic77

For those going to an Apple Store next weekend, I can tell you that there was a decent amount of stock available last year for both the 5S and 5C throughout the weekend. Certain colors were hard to obtain, but phones were available.

Now that said, it appears that demand for the 6 and 6+ is far exceeding the demand for last year's models. I think the only chance you have in getting one this year is to line up and wait. I suspect there won't be many left in the stores after Friday.
Do they usually have floor model to play with on release day?

I normally pre-order but me and my wife want to hold the two phones and then decide what we are getting.

Curufinwe

I think I'm gonna get the 4.7" 64GB 6 when preorders open on Friday. Still rocking a 4S and while it still works perfectly, I want something a little bigger. It depends on the price, though.

That's what I'm trying to get thru my work. The tiny screen and lack of 4G on my 4S are kind of unbearable.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
http://flipbelt.com/

I just bought one of those to run with.

We will see how it goes.
People at mac rumors said it fit a Note comfortably.

Anyone have any experience?

This seems so obvious I'm shocked this is the first time I'm seeing a product like this. Would appear to be an awesome solution to the workout problem.

Do they usually have floor model to play with on release day?

I normally pre-order but me and my wife want to hold the two phones and then decide what we are getting.

Yes, they always have the models set up for you to look at. The trick will be getting into the store to see one, then getting in line. I guess you can wait in line, then when they take you inside, you'll get the chance to see the phone before you actually buy. You might not have tons of time though, as it is going to be a busy weekend at any Apple store.

http://flipbelt.com/

I just bought one of those to run with.

We will see how it goes.
People at mac rumors said it fit a Note comfortably.

Anyone have any experience?

I've used one, but not with anything as big as a Note or 6+. They are fairly comfortable to wear, and have a surprising amount of room inside though, and they hold snug against your body so things aren't flapping all over the place.

I've been considering using it more going forward. I don't like to run with my phone (I use a 5th gen iPod touch), but since I'm leaning towards getting an Apple Watch Sport, I may be going with the phone in the future. That gets harder with an armband when the phones get so big. This might be a viable option. That, or a hydration vest.

bionic77

Yes, they always have the models set up for you to look at. The trick will be getting into the store to see one, then getting in line. I guess you can wait in line, then when they take you inside, you'll get the chance to see the phone before you actually buy. You might not have tons of time though, as it is going to be a busy weekend at any Apple store.

I've used one, but not with anything as big as a Note or 6+. They are fairly comfortable to wear, and have a surprising amount of room inside though, and they hold snug against your body so things aren't flapping all over the place.

I've been considering using it more going forward. I don't like to run with my phone (I use a 5th gen iPod touch), but since I'm leaning towards getting an Apple Watch Sport, I may be going with the phone in the future. That gets harder with an armband when the phones get so big. This might be a viable option. That, or a hydration vest.
Thanks.

I don't care about the line. I can wait until October if I have to for the phone.

Something tells me you will still be able to score a iPhone6 as late as Saturday at an Apple Store. The Plus is probably already sold out though.

I remember having to wait a month to get my iPhone 3GS from Rogers when I ordered on release day via phone.

This seems like par for the course. I'm good with waiting at this point.

Keylime

The flipbelt has been out since at least 2011, the Galaxy Note too, how have you never seen one?

The flipbelt?

I don't go to the gym and haven't had the need for the product, so no research on my end to discover one.

Just seems like something I would have heard about between then and now since it seems like it should be a hit (maybe it is and I just don't know!)

I obviously know what the Note is.

Blackhead

Redarse
The flipbelt?

I don't go to the gym and haven't had the need for the product, so no research on my end to discover one.

Just seems like something I would have heard about between then and now since it seems like it should be a hit (maybe it is and I just don't know!)

I obviously know what the Note is.

Lol, ok I said I wouldn't but this is too tempting to deliver some claimchowder. yeah you definitely know what a Note is. From Samsung sells 5 million Galaxy Notes in 5 months. (March 2012):
The marketing push behind the Note has been pretty heavy, for what it's worth. In my mall there has been a demo kiosk set up with reps showing off the phone and the features with tons of space for people to play with them.

Just like the original Droid before it, I think Android phones can do well in the mainstream when they are actually heavily marketed. Despite being the flagship Android phone, the Galaxy Nexus is essentially non-existent to the public.

My personal opinion is that the Note is a crazy behemoth of a phone that I'd never consider (partially because it's still Android, partially because I don't want a crazy huge phone)...but even I can acknowledge that there are probably consumers out there who want crazy huge phones with a stylus. It seems like there's some market for it.

At least it's a different take on things, and that much I appreciate. Not for me, regardless.
I think the point of this proven adoption by lots of regular diverse folks shows that it's not "crazy huge".
I'd still call it crazy huge...it just seems like there's a market for "crazy huge" out there that's probably bigger than I would have thought.

Doesn't change that it's still crazy huge!

I've been collecting all these sorts of threads in a special subscription folder to revive and quote when we get a 4+in iPhone. I'm then going to document the sudden growth in hand and pocket size across all demographics. It's bound to win me a Nobel Prize.
I don't think I've ever said that I wouldn't want a bigger screen on the iPhone. What I have said is that a screen size increase would definitely come with a resolution increase to keep it "Retina", but the weird engineering problems that introduces doesn't seem to be beneficial.

Whatever the next iPhone is or looks like, it'll have a 300+ PPI display.

Not exactly thrilled with the idea of a bigger phone, but I'd give it a shot. Something comically large like the Note would make me double take...but there's next no chance Apple releases a phone that big in this next iteration or ever. There'd sooner be an iPad Mini than a Giga-iPhone.

Edit: Fanboy wars getting hot...time to bounce!

September 2014
Ordered my 6+ 128gb via the App.
The reason I went with the 6+ over the 6 is mainly because it may fundamentally change how I use my phone day to day.

- More likely to want to fill it with video content for viewing on the go
- More likely to want to read on it
- More likely to play meatier games on it
- Better web browsing experience

...all of these seem to really cater to this new brick of a 6+.

4.7 is bigger, but not so much so that it would really change the way I use my phone. At least I don't think it would be.

I'm willing to give the + a shot and always think that I could return it within a couple weeks if it doesn't work out.
This is what tipped the scales for me. The battery/camera are definitely solid pros. I'm not 100% sure about the screen due to the downsampling (seems like it's going to be fine and/or better, but who knows) and the performance. That many more pixels being pushed with the same hardware should mean noticeably worse performance.

...but the thought that I might start heavily watching video content on the go. Maybe read a book. Have a much more pleasant web experience due to all that screen...

Fundamentally changing how I use my phone is a very attractive thought.

Fundamentally changing the amount of pocket space my phone takes up on the other hand...

God I hope this thing is manageable.
I just bought some new pants over the weekend that are a tighter fitting work slack and my iPhone 6+ cutout totally fits just fine in there without sticking out, and these have shallower pockets than my older pairs made by the same company.

Something that I think a lot of people forget when they do these size comparisons is that the weight and thickness of the true device is going to be substantially less than a lot of the common items I've seen it held against and elicited reactions out of people.
This thing is the size of a Vita or a 3DS!

...sure, in terms of height. But it's less than half as thick and weighs less. It's presence in your pocket is quite a bit less than those other devices.
For reference
Original Galaxy Note 5.3" screen, 146.9 x 83 x 9.7 mm (5.78 x 3.27 x 0.38 in), 178 g (6.28 oz)
iPhone 6+ 5.5" screen, 158.1 x 77.8 x 7.1 mm (6.22 x 3.06 x 0.28 in), 172 g (6.07 oz)

Jobiensis

Lol, ok I said I wouldn't but this is too tempting to deliver some claimchowder. yeah you definitely know what a Note is. From Samsung sells 5 million Galaxy Notes in 5 months. (March 2012):

Don't do this, people's opinions change over time. And he did say that one reason he wouldn't buy a Note is because of Android.

My eyesight has gone to hell in the last year, my 4s has become very hard to use because of it. I heavily considered a 6+ because of this (but I just can't handle a phone being that big).

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'm looking for a good wallet style case. Not a wallet replacement, but something thin, that has a folding cover or whatever you call it. Maybe leather or faux-leather. Anyone have recommendations?

Has anyone who pre ordered through the sprint website have a tracking # yet? I ordered mine around 9am Pacific on the 12th and have yet to get any updated tracking info. Preorder page says that they will do their best to get the phone to me by the 19th but no tracking info yet is worrying me.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

September 2014

For reference
Original Galaxy Note 5.3" screen, 146.9 x 83 x 9.7 mm (5.78 x 3.27 x 0.38 in), 178 g (6.28 oz)
iPhone 6+ 5.5" screen, 158.1 x 77.8 x 7.1 mm (6.22 x 3.06 x 0.28 in), 172 g (6.07 oz)

That was over two years ago. I never thought I would want a larger phone either, but I have been slowly won over. Hell, at one point I thought smart phones were a huge waste of money and I stuck with my super small/thin flip-phone for quite a while.

jstripes

Banned
I remember having to wait a month to get my iPhone 3GS from Rogers when I ordered on release day via phone.

This seems like par for the course. I'm good with waiting at this point.

I'm gonna wait till the hype dies down before I make the jump. I don't feel like going on a wild goose chase or being put on a waiting list.

ZeroX03

Banned

September 2014

For reference

Detective GAF proves people's opinions change over time, more at eleven.

Blackhead

Redarse
Don't do this, people's opinions change over time. And he did say that one reason he wouldn't buy a Note is because of Android.

My eyesight has gone to hell in the last year, my 4s has become very hard to use because of it. I heavily considered a 6+ because of this (but I just can't handle a phone being that big).
Isn't that the point though, that some fanboys wouldn't change their opinion or buy that device because Apple didn't make it. what else is this
Something comically large like the Note would make me double take...but there's next no chance Apple releases a phone that big in this next iteration or ever.
then Apple announces an even bigger phone and he pre-orders it without waiting for reviews or to see/hold the actual device in hand.

*shrug* Fair enough if your eyesight changed over the years; I have no beef against larger phones (I actually bought the original Galaxy Note and quickly dumped it because Android Gingerbread sucked).

I'm gonna wait till the hype dies down before I make the jump. I don't feel like going on a wild goose chase or being put on a waiting list.

I talked to Bell and I can cancel my order as long as it hasn't shipped. So I will keep it and try one of their stores everyday to see if they get stock first.

AT&T says my 6+ is preparing to ship but still has a 10/2-10/13 ship date. Anybody else's order doing this?
Mine says preparing to ship with te dates of 11/9 - 11/27... If anyone knows wtf that means please let me know. Preparing something to ship for 2 months is crazy

Keylime

September 2014

For reference

You've actually shown me that I was very level-headed throughout the discussions! I still call the 6+ a behemoth of a phone and I'm worried about the size, but acknowledge the benefits.

I'm actually proud of myself!
Ithen Apple announces an even bigger phone and he pre-orders it without waiting for reviews or to see/hold the actual device in hand.

*shrug* Fair enough if your eyesight changed over the years; I have no beef against larger phones (I actually bought the original Galaxy Note and quickly dumped it because Android Gingerbread sucked).
For what it's worth, I did cut out the paper actual size model of it and taped it to cardboard and literally walked around all day with it in my pocket in various pants before pulling the trigger.

I think you're trying a little too hard to paint me as a zealot when in reality I think I've been reasonably reasonable about it all!

Blackhead

Redarse
You've actually shown me that I was very level-headed throughout the discussions! I still call the 6+ a behemoth of a phone and I'm worried about the size, but acknowledge the benefits.

I'm actually proud of myself!

Lol the way you think is fascinating

ZeroX03

Banned
Lol the way you think is fascinating

What are you trying to prove here? His original posts weren't too bad, he admitted there's a market for it but it wasn't for him at the time (in part due to Android) and now that it's on iOS he is giving it a shot. I find it fascinating you feel the need to dig up old posts to try and what, shame people?

Sorry the term you used was "deliver some clamchowder"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The early reports were indicating that the 6+ was going to be supply constrained. I even warned my brother in law as much. He tried to pre-order at 5AM vs. 3AM and got #rekt.

I pre-ordered a 6 Plus as early as T-Mobile allowed and my order got set up as "backordered," so I cancelled it.

Going to call around a few T-Mobile locations tomorrow or Wednesday and try to find out if any of the local stores plan on getting 6 Plus stock. I'm perfectly happy to line up early in the A.M. if they will be getting them in, but I'm kind of worried at this point that no retail will be getting the Plus.

Top Bottom