• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

hitsugi

that joke comparison to the N4 is indeed hilarious. N4 is 720p, part of which was often occupied by the onscreen buttons, has a horribly calibrated, dim display, no battery life, and basically no camera. Should have at least compared it to an N5 but I suppose 2013 isn't as funny as 2012.

Husker86

Bigger than the Note 4? Ehhhhhhhhhh, I might have to go with the 4.7".

If they both have 1 GB of RAM I'm definitely going 4.7", if the 5.5" has 2GB, then I have to think some more. But I have avoided the note series simply because of the size.

murgo

The back is fugly, it's huge compared to other 4.7"ers and it's expensive as fuck. And if it really only ships with 1GB RAM... guess I'll replace my iPhone 5 with something else :(

kaskade

The the preorders start Friday. That means I'm staying up at 3am thursday night I'm guessing. Hopefully verizon's site doesn't get hammered too hard. Guess it'll be a good time to catch up on all my class work.

that joke comparison to the N4 is indeed hilarious. N4 is 720p, part of which was often occupied by the onscreen buttons, has a horribly calibrated, dim display, no battery life, and basically no camera. Should have at least compared it to an N5 but I suppose 2013 isn't as funny as 2012.

It's a joke, the only point is there new features are actually pretty old.

number11

Never preordered a phone before. How tough is it to get on release day? If you don't preorder in the first few hours are you screwed?

Mononoke

Banned
I wonder if this guy has really small hands. I printed out the template to size, and holding it in my right hand, my thumb can extend to the edge of the phone (not screen, the entire phone) without trouble.

Mimicking the way he's holding it, my thumb would extend to the top of the phone, where his only goes to the volume controls.

That said, it is rather large. I know people who have similar sized phones... but I still wonder. I want the Plus, but with a case, it'd be ever larger. I'll still probably get the larger one, but I can see the draw to the regular 6 too (and it's cheaper...).

Was going to say the same thing. My hands are a little below medium size (so not big), and my hand isn't matching up to his in the photo. Not to sound mean, but his hands look kind of squat. The phone is obviously big, but I think it looks worse here because he has I. Small hands II. The way he's holding it.

Mononoke

Banned
Never preordered a phone before. How tough is it to get on release day? If you don't preorder in the first few hours are you screwed?

Not sure if the rumors are true. But initial rumors said the 5.5 would have half the stock of the 4.7. But this was a rumor before the announcement today. I will say, there is much higher demand for iPhones when it's a new number iteration vs the inbetween versions like 5s. So that alone will drive up the demand.

If rumors of the half stock for the 5.5 is true I imagine it will be hell getting one. I only went to the 4s launch and it was pretty easy getting one in stores the day of relate. But it was a minor update so people weren't rushing out to get it.

Yaari

Printed out the template and based on that Photo I thought it would be worse. My iPhone 5 has been causing cramp in my hands for a while now, I think it is just too small.

The battery sounds pretty amazing but I'm going to have to see some experts go at it.

Erebus

From AnandTech:

One of the highlight features of the iPhone 6 Plus is optical image stabilization, but it appears that it doesn’t run during preview so it was hard to see just how much accommodation the system has and how it works. Although the announcement seemed to suggest that the module moves vertically and horizontally, it seems more likely that we’re looking at a VCM that shifts the lenses around to compensate for horizontal and vertical motion.

$h@d0w

I'm a bit disappointed the 6+ doesn't have more pixels.

The Moto X is looking like the upgrade for me (from an iPhone 5).

Game4life

Banned
Not a huge spec guy, but doesn't the G3 have better specs than this?

Yes. Pretty sad actually that iPhone 6 is the first full HD phone from Apple. It is even sadder that they charge way more with this kind of specs and still end up selling better than the competition. The iOS is way better argument holds very little weight these days after KitKat.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Sucks 6 has worse specs than 6+; I don't want a 5.5 inch screen. :(
Yes. Pretty sad actually that iPhone 6 is the first full HD phone from Apple. It is even sadder that they charge way more with this kind of specs and still end up selling better than the competition. The iOS is way better argument holds very little weight these days after KitKat.
I'm confident the App selection is still vastly superior; the large selection of Android phones hinders a broad range of apps for all phones.

I don't get the complaints about the plus' size. It's big for the sake of being big. If you like small phones it's not for you. 4.7 in is still incredibly small for a modern day flagship, just stick with that.

So definitely decided on updated the iPhone 5 to a 6 (4.7) preorder day 1. The issue is I have to send my phone to Amazon by Monday to get another $25 trade in. The question now is do I used my droid incredible or my palm pre + for the 5 days while phone less. Decisions decisions....

Husker86

I don't get the complaints about the plus' size. It's big for the sake of being big. If you like small phones it's not for you. 4.7 in is still incredibly small for a modern day flagship, just stick with that.

The screen may be, but the overall size of the phone is very comparable to current flagships.

spwolf

I like it how reviewers say it is not that big despite being really, really, really big phone.

Someone on youtube doing blind folded test between Note 4 and whatever other popular phablets there are and letting people tell them which one is bigger would be cool.

I expected apple to bring 5.5" phone in 5" shell really. Design is supposed to be their forte.

At the same time, at least now there is a good choice for Apple users... so this is a big step forward regardless.

knicks

What do you mean you don't understand the complaints? We all want a fucking 4.7 inch screen with the highest technical specifications. Unfortunately the dumb fucks at Apple decided to make that model drastically inferior to the 5.5 model. It's causing confusion that shouldn't exist. Both models should be significant upgrades from the iPhone 5S, and this is upsetting as the iPhone 6 isn't a significant upgrade, only the iPhone 6 plus is.

Capiche?

Get'sMad

welp

I'll definitely be getting one of these since my 4S contract is finally up.

I still wish there was a 3rd option for one with an even smaller screen size...these things are just becoming too damn big for me.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The quality of the display isn't part of the discussion, just the features. And for 2012 it did have a suitable cameras and a decent display.

It actually has a decent battery life if you don't hammer it with all the Google bloatware.

It's so that they get you to upgrade to the 64, of course.

Mononoke

Banned

Apple has always been behind in specs. Pretty much, they make up for it with "optimization"...if you choose to think that works or not. I think at this point, you just have to accept that the iOS platform isn't ever going to get a massive overhaul. And newer iterations of the phone will just get new features and spec bumps (but spec bumps within their closed system and how they are going to optimize it -- so it won't ever compare to the competition in terms of raw numbers). I'm not trying to defend it. I agree on paper, they are charging too much for specs that are lackluster. Or rather, if other companies can provide specs that are better for the same cost, why can't Apple do the same, and then optimize things around their system? But I also think that whenever they do come out with new phones, the system always functions really well (especially in comparison to other phones with better specs, that have bloatware or their own custom UI overlay).

But at the end of the day, you either love iOS or you don't. I personally wanted to get away from iPhones, but I never found an android I fell in love with. The closest for me was the Nexus 4 (shit battery), and the HTC One. I just always ended up coming back to iOS. I even prefer jailbreaking to rooting. Just a personal preference thing.

spwolf

The screen may be, but the overall size of the phone is very comparable to current flagships.

well, now that you brought it up, maybe this is what Moto X truly competes with? In that case, its lack of microsd, waterproofing and smallish battery wont change anything... it is a lot thicker tho, but it does have a lot larger screen.

Guess Who

Banned
And for 2012 it did have a suitable cameras and a decent display.

No it didn't. The biggest complaint with the Nexus 4 at the time was the camera, and the display came out the same year as the iPhone 5 which had comparable pixel density and much, much better color reproduction.

What do you mean you don't understand the complaints? We all want a fucking 4.7 inch screen with the highest technical specifications. Unfortunately the dumb fucks at Apple decided to make that model drastically inferior to the 5.5 model. It's causing confusion that shouldn't exist. Both models should be significant upgrades from the iPhone 5S, and this upsetting as the iPhone 6 isn't a significant upgrade, only the iPhone 6 plus is.

Capiche?

How is this a new concept? Did you think they'd be the same phone just one having a bigger screen? That's not how this has ever worked. Every flagship is gimped compared to their comparative phablet, that's just how it goes.

Mononoke

Banned
I was thinking this too, iPad sales are going to get cannibalised.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I have an iPad mini that I use all the time. When I had an iPhone, I would switch back and forth between the two. Sometimes I would just prefer using my phone to browse the web. But this really kind of bridges the gap between the two. It's so big, that I honestly don't even know if I'll be using my tablet as much as I used to. =/

Popnbake

Why do people want giant ass phones and how do you even carry them in your pockets

It's confusing seeing people who walk around with big phones in their back pocket (and half of the phone is sticking out).
How can they not be worried about theft?

I'm intrigued by the iphone 6+ but I may just sell the iphone 5, get a 5s, and wait for the 6s.
Really depends on the feedback regarding how the older models run ios 8.

Erebus

What do you mean you don't understand the complaints? We all want a fucking 4.7 inch screen with the highest technical specifications. Unfortunately the dumb fucks at Apple decided to make that model drastically inferior to the 5.5 model. It's causing confusion that shouldn't exist. Both models should be significant upgrades from the iPhone 5S, and this is upsetting as the iPhone 6 isn't a significant upgrade, only the iPhone 6 plus is.

Capiche?
What exactly is drastically inferior about it? They have the same A8 chip.

where's NudeMacUser, I need his opinion on Prada leather document holders. I am going to need one to carry the iPhone 6 + around since it won't fit in my pocket.

Appleman

Capiche?

Drastically inferior? Basically all of the upgrades of the bigger phone are because it's a bigger phone. Of course a larger screen has some more room for pixels and a larger battery, the one other thing they added was OIS and everything else is identical. Unless you expected them to magically squeeze a larger battery into a smaller case, I don't think you really have an argument

knicks

How is this a new concept? Did you think they'd be the same phone just one having a bigger screen? That's not how this has ever worked. Every flagship is gimped compared to their comparative phablet, that's just how it goes.

Yes, actually.

I think I also speak for most of us when I say didn't think the 4.7 inch model would be just a tad bit better than the 5S model....it has similar technical specifications is many categories.

When you look at the the 3S to the 4, or the 4S to the 5, these are far superior transformations.

But if they compared it to the year old N5 it would be even worse :-(

Here. I made this for anyone else who like me is coming from an iPhone 5, and is wondering how much of an improvement the 6's battery life is going to be over the 5:

JKJCZeb.png

Basically, 6 more hours of talk time.
2 more hours of Internet LTE usage.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's so that they get you to upgrade to the 64, of course.
I have a 16gb iPhone 4, I was going to get the 32gb model anyway so a bump up to double that is really welcome, I'm really going to enjoy having 4 times the space, will need to sort out my music library though, ha.

Mononoke

Banned
Yes, actually.

I think I also speak for most of us when I say didn't think the 4.7 inch model would be just a tad bit better than the 5S model....it has similar technical specifications is many categories.

When you look at the the 3S to the 4, or the 4S to the 5, these are far superior transformations.

Yeah that is my issue with the 4.7 to be honest. Even the screen size difference isn't that much. So it really just feels like a minor upgrade (it basically feels like the jump from 4s to 5).

Social

I'm going to wait until a new iPod Touch is out or 6s.

All the 5 devices run iOS8 just fine so I can hold out for another year with my Ipod Touch 5th gen.

LCfiner

Might get the 5.5... but then why would i need an air?

everyone’s needs are different but i can tell you from using a nexus 7 for a while that apps on a 16:9 screen - even a big one that 5.5 or 7” across - feel much more constrained and smaller than ipad apps on its 4:3 screen. you get much more a web page visible when not using a mobile layout and landscape view is much more usable wince it’s taller.

If you use mostly apps that are single column lists of things, then the larger ipad size and the different aspect ratio is less important. but if you want to try running spreadsheets and photo editing apps and things like that, then the different shape of the ipad screen will make a bigger difference and you’ll still want/use one.

scotcheggz

Too big. Too expensive. Maybe I'll get the 6 next year when my contract runs out, would have to see it in person though.

why do those antenna breaks have to be so ugly? The rest of the phone is great, but those two curved antenna breaks on the top and bottom of the back of the phone really throw me off. This is the first iphone that disappoints me aesthetically.

knicks

Drastically inferior? Basically all of the upgrades of the bigger phone are because it's a bigger phone. Of course a larger screen has some more room for pixels and a larger battery, the one other thing they added was OIS and everything else is identical. Unless you expected them to magically squeeze a larger battery into a smaller case, I don't think you really have an argument

I understand this. However, I still thought the 4.7 model would have a much better battery than the 5S, as well as a better screen. It's the same screen, just .7 inches bigger. I comprehend why the 6+ is better than the 6. What I don't get is why the 6 isn't much better than the 5S.

Top Bottom