• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

giga

The Note 4 has the better display, and I'm going to bet they have comparable performance and battery life, only with the Note 4 being able to do a crap load more software and functionality wise, and with a much higher resolution screen to boot.
Does it? In what way, outside of resolution? And I'm going to go ahead say they'll have similar CPU compute power, but the 6 will likely have a better GPU and battery life. As for software, I honestly prefer iOS and its ecosystem, so that's a judgement call for everyone.

Wait, has it been confirmed that both the 6 and 6 Plus have 1 GB of RAM?
It hasn't. It's Gizmodo's assumption.

iPhone 6 Plus size comparison:

Bd0nSRm.png

zZJoF61.png

WOEaMJ3.png

It's a BIG phone.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Why does the Off Contract option show T-Mobile on the Apple site?

I should be fine to use it wherever right? (GSM)

Furyous

While I understand your RAM concerns, the vast majority of phone apps aren't heavily multithreaded and thus benefit more from 2 more powerful cores than 4 less powerful cores.

Thank you for correcting me. I understand Apple's logic to a degree as far as margins and BOM go. However, as a consumer the value proposition doesn't look too good on day one of the new iPhones' reveal. They need to do a fantastic job of educating me on how this phone benefits from specs that pale in comparison to the competition. This didn't seem like too much of a problem before but this is a different era now. I look forward to reading Anandtech, MKBHD, and Erica Griffin's impressions about this device.

R1CHO

Phone has too much bezel.

I was expecting some fine design to show that you can put a big screen on a moderate body, but looks like they didn't change the proportions at all.

Me neither. The small one is stupidly big. The large one is hilariously big :-(

The one hand mode is stupid, and doesn't help typing on the thing at all.

Does it work like the Note's one handed mode? For those phones (at least for my Note 2) it shrunk down certain elements of the screen (like the keyboard) so that it was reachable with your thumb on either the right or left side.

For me, the benefits of a larger screen was worth using my phone with two hands more often.

LeleSocho

Banned
It's hilarious that people stopped making fun of big phones as soon as the rumors started.

Nope, still hating them with all my soul... or to better say: hate that high end phone are now at the very least 4.5 inches.
You people can have your stupid phablets all you want just give me an high end 4 inches phone.

Isn't one of the good reasons behind bigger phones the stylus? It's just a big iPhone now.....I'm so torn. I need a new phone so the 4.7 will probably have to do

LCfiner

Does it work like the Note's one handed mode? For those phones (at least for my Note 2) it shrunk down certain elements of the screen (like the keyboard) so that it was reachable with your thumb on either the right or left side.

For me, the benefits of a larger screen was worth using my phone with two hands more often.

nope. double press (not push, just tap) the home button and the display literally drops down to only fill the bottom half of the screen (top half is black), so you then reach UI elements using the entire width of the bottom half of the display.

enabling it is quick. it looks like it’s designed to allow for touching one or two buttons quickly then dismissing.

I don’t think it’s amazing but it’s something needed for these big phones, I guess.

ZeroX03

Banned
The 6/Plus looks like the old 3G model front on, creepy.

Watched Engadget's video, can see myself using it landscape sometimes. I've been reading a couple of hands-on, they all seem pretty positive for people who like large phones. Sounds like it's comfy to hold (again, iPad Mini gave me faith, really lovely tablet to hold).

Awaiting the influx of Apple fans who suddenly LOVE big phones.

The small size of the iPhone has always made me sad.

Nope, still hating them with all my soul... or to better say: hate that high end phone are now at the very least 4.5 inches.
You people can have your stupid phablets all you want just give me an high end 4 inches phone.
It's a really weird thing actually, I'm with you though, smaller phone sizes should be offered.

I have an S4 at the moment (which is 5 inches) and is a little big for my pocket but I can live.. If the S6 adds an inch like the S5 did I will probably not go with it because that's just too big IMO.

4.7 honestly sounds like a good compromise between screen space and pocket space... And this is coming from someone who never considered an iPhone until recently (partially because it's only recently been announced that SwiftKey is coming).

I don't know if I can justify it but I really really really want a white 64gb plus.

Also if you own a mac or ipad it's a no brainer to go for a 6 or 6 plus considering how they are tying the whole thing together, especially iphone + mac combination.

Erebus

just used this. I'm currently using an htc one m7 and I think the size is perfect. LOL the 6+ DWARFS it! Pretty much seals the deal for me. It's iphone 4.7 or z3c now.

BTW: did they do a comparison of the OIS and the digital image stabilization?
I'm facing the same dilemma as you lol. I'm torn between iPhone 6 and Sony Z3c.

reKon

Banned
Yeah the Plus is just too big. Can't see myself handling it comfortably during a long time. Going to have to just go for the regular 6.

gizmodoiphonehand.jpg

That's right. 4.7" FTW. This 5.2+ sizing has gotten out of hand. 4.5-5 inches is the sweet spot

nib95

Banned
Does it? In what way, outside of resolution? And I'm going to go ahead say they'll have similar CPU compute power, but the 6 will likely have a better GPU and battery life. As for software, I honestly prefer iOS and its ecosystem, so that's a judgement call for everyone.

It hasn't. It's Gizmodo's assumption.
AMOLED is simply superior to LCD. In terms of black levels (tremendous difference), contrast, white accuracy and even colour range (people forget Samsung offer non saturated, closer to D6500k than even the iPhone options for their newest devices). Then there's viewing angles, and as you mentioned, resolution. Honestly, putting mobiles with LCD panels against the best of AMOLED is sort of like comparing LED HDTV's with the best Plasma and AMOLED alternatives.

And you preferring iOS and it's ecosystem doesn't detract from the fact that the Note 4 is simply capable of considerably more, especially on the multitasking front.

5.5" in your jeans pocket will look extremely weird.

I had a 5.5 inch Galaxy Note 2 in my pocket for two years. You don't even notice it, nobody around you notices it until you take it out.

BTW for the people complaining about bezels, my most hated thing about GN2 was that there was nowhere to good way to hold the damn thing while watching youtube videos due to lack of actual bezel on one side -- so trust me you want bezels.

giga

AMOLED is simply superior to LCD. In terms of black levels (tremendous difference), contrast, white accuracy and even colour range (people forget Samsung offer non saturated, closer to D6500k than even the iPhone options for their newest devices). Then there's viewing angles, and as you mentioned, resolution. Honestly, putting mobiles with LCD panels against the best of AMOLED is sort of like comparing LED HDTV's with the best Plasma and AMOLED alternatives.

And you preferring iOS and it's ecosystem doesn't detract from the fact that the Note 4 is simply capable of considerably more, especially on the multitasking front.
Both black levels and contrast ratios were drastically improved on the 6. So, until we have them in hand, we don't know how good or better it is. And regarding color saturation and accuracy, Samsung just joined the party in that department: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8258/evaluating-samsungs-qhd-amoled-displays

And yes, my OS preference does mean it can do things that other systems can't. It can be as simple as something like tapping the status bar to scroll to the top of any page or app.

Cse

Banned
Do developers now have to code for 3 discrete resolutions?

I know Apple mentioned something about app scaling baked into iOS 8...but just how effective is this going to be? Will devs still have to ultimately manage their apps across 3 different resolutions?

Guess Who

Banned
I'm probably rolling 4.7" 64GB. Really want the battery life and extra features of the +, but I can't handle that size.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Waiting on someone to post a picture of the ancient brick-sized cell phones, and put a iPhone 7 tag on it.

Missed the conference, but reading the basics. So, nothing really "new", it's just bigger, and more or less cannibalizes the iPad Mini's/Air market.

Though, guess the watch is the "innovation" product of the year.

redhood56

Banned
I had no idea the plus was bigger than the note 4. It might be to big for me, but I really want to try out an edge so I need to see.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
bigger than the Note but with a smaller screen?

Did all the decent engineers leave after they shut down the no-poaching scheme or what?

GameSeeker

Holy crap, I didn't realize that it was bigger than the Note 4. There's a lot of bezel on there. I'm kind of shocked, to be honest.

It's actually smaller. It's bigger ONLY IF you compare H and W dimensions and completely forget about D.

If you look at the volumetric space of the 6 Plus it's 81,164 cubic mm. The Galaxy Note 4 volumetric is 102,553 cubic mm. So the Galaxy Note 4 is 26% bigger by volume. Weight between the two is comparable (172g vs. 176g), with the 6 Plus very slightly lighter.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It's actually smaller. It's bigger ONLY IF you compare H and W dimensions and completely forget about D.

If you look at the volumetric space of the 6 Plus it's 81,164 cubic mm. The Galaxy Note 4 volumetric is 102,553 cubic mm. So the Galaxy Note 4 is 26% bigger by volume. Weight between the two is comparable (172g vs. 176g), with the 6 Plus very slightly lighter.

This is my new favourite post.

You should work for The Verge.

The 6 plus is indeed big, but I've sort of been wanting to get a small tablet, the ipad mini specifically. The 6 plus could be the way to go for both tablet and phone needs.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

Note 4 has: 1. Bigger battery; 2. Higher res display and 3. A stylus. Not too bad for the extra volume.

Top Bottom