• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

iPhone 6 Plus size comparison:

WOEaMJ3.png

It's a BIG phone.

I love how the site is changing its tone now that Apple is doing it. When Samsung did it was "freakishly, absurdly large" but now when Apple does it it's "large but totally doable."

I wonder what other places that once scoffed at the size of the Samsung Galaxy Note are now suddenly okay with it.

Im trying to decide between The iphone 6+ and the Sony xperia z3.

Leaning towards the z3 to be honest.
1GB again apple?!

and did they make any changes on the camera of the 6 or 6+?

Curufinwe

I don't know why people keep saying the 6 is gimped compared to the 6+. Both have the same processor so the 6 might actually perform better with some games as it has fewer pixels to move around. Otherwise it is just a few different landscape view modes which are simply a function of the screen size. Doesn't seem to be anything to get upset about.

OIS is about the only real feature missing which seems fair enough considering it needs space for that.

Yeah, I agree. I've decided to get the 64 GB Space Grey iPhone 6. Hopefully I can get over $100 for my 4S and bring the net price down below $200.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
and did they make any changes on the camera of the 6 or 6+?
You really should probably read up much more before deciding. They went over the camera extensively.

Focus pixels. Wider aperture. Larger(?) pixels. 1080p60 and 720p240 capture. iCloud photos. Single shot HDR. and OIS in the 6 Plus.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, I just was happy with my good ol 4 for so long, and didn't want to spend ridiculous amounts upgrading. Got a steady job now (got my 4 in highschool) so I'm considering the next step.

Pretty damn close. Been using it since the 3rd Gen Ipod Nano when I was in Middle School.

Honestly couldn't say, iOS is all I've ever used so I don't really have an opinion on other operating systems. No problems with Apple, but my phone is slow as fuck these days and I figure upgrading would solve all of my issues. Thanks Azula:)

I wish there was a way for you try out other phones first. You might love android OS for instance. Not everyone has the same preference. So not only might there be a better phone out there for you (in terms of the spec to price ratio), but you mind find that you like other OS's more than iOS.

I've personally went through 10 + phones over the last 5 years. The majority were Android. And I could never fall in love with the OS. Even after rooting it, even after getting vanilla phones like Nexus 4. I would always end up liking iOS (despite its flaws). But I would say, in terms of pure specs, there are better phones out there for the same price. It just comes down to preference and what you want out of a phone. And like I said, the jump from 4 to 6 would be a substantial upgrade for you (just in terms of the screen size, the speed and the overall design).

Sinecat

Neo Member
I love how the site is changing its tone now that Apple is doing it. When Samsung did it was "freakishly, absurdly large" but now when Apple does it it's "large but totally doable."

I wonder what other places that once scoffed at the size of the Samsung Galaxy Note are now suddenly okay with it.

To be honest its not sudden, almost a year passed. Reviewer's exposure to large phones may have changed his opinion.
Also maybe the fact that it is thinner and lighter had something to do with it. Maybe the round edges. Maybe the OS is easier to use on a big phone. The double tap home to get everything in reach with one hand helps.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So can anyone else but me not view the iPhone 6 "movie" on the Apple site? I tried both FireFox and Chrome and nothing worked. I can watch all the other movies though.

Social

thinking about it, what a WEIRD move for Apple to go with such a huge phone, it's just too much. I don't think anyone asked for phones THAT big.

I wish there was a way for you try out other phones first. You might love android OS for instance. Not everyone has the same preference. So not only might there be a better phone out there for you (in terms of the spec to price ratio), but you mind find that you like other OS's more than iOS.

I've personally went through 10 + phones over the last 5 years. The majority were Android. And I could never fall in love with the OS. Even after rooting it, even after getting vanilla phones like Nexus 4. I would always end up liking iOS (despite its flaws). But I would say, in terms of pure specs, there are better phones out there for the same price. It just comes down to preference and what you want out of a phone. And like I said, the jump from 4 to 6 would be a substantial upgrade for you (just in terms of the screen size, the speed and the overall design).

Price is probably the biggest thing for me really, but yeah I have seen Android OS before and I'm not a really big phone guy regarding specs and stuff. As long as I can browse the net and listen to music at a fast rate then that's all I really need. Don't play games and a majority of other features that phones come with these days so I'd imagine I'd be just fine with any decent upgrade.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
thinking about it, what a WEIRD move for Apple to go with such a huge phone, it's just too much. I don't think anyone asked for phones THAT big.

The fact that we're on the Note 4 suggest people are asking for it.

Keyouta

To be honest its not sudden, almost a year passed. Reviewer's exposure to large phones may have changed his opinion.
Also maybe the fact that it is thinner and lighter had something to do with it. Maybe the round edges. Maybe the OS is easier to use on a big phone. The double tap home to get everything in reach with one hand helps.

galaxy-note-3-astuces-illu.JPG

Well, if anything, iOS seems to work worse in one-hand-mode, cutting off half the screen. I've seen Samsung mocked, saying that their scaling down the screen isn't very well thought out, but it looks like their execution is a lot better than the iPhone 6+.

Edit: My bad, it doesn't really cut half the screen, but moves everything down halfway so you can access it and then moves back up.

With almost a year between articles, they probably had time to get accustomed to phones that size, while the Note 3 was one of the first to be that large.

edit: and someone made the same point as me over a dozen posts ago. too slow

Sorry if this was already asked, but when purchasing off contract for ATT, the only option to do this is buying the T-Mobile version. Will I get all the LTE goodness if I buy the Tmobile version and pop in my ATT nano-SIM?

Otherwise how else are we supposed to buy the phone for full price at the Apple Store/Pre-order site?

'Ehh... now that I've had a few hours to reflect and let the hype die down, I think I'm gonna wait for the 6s next year after all. I don't see anything so compelling about the 6 that I feel the need to upgrade from my 5s.

rezuth

Same writer?

giga

Sorry if this was already asked, but when purchasing off contract for ATT, the only option to do this is buying the T-Mobile version. Will I get all the LTE goodness if I buy the Tmobile version and pop in my ATT nano-SIM?

Otherwise how else are we supposed to buy the phone for full price at the Apple Store/Pre-order site?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

There's only one north american GSM model. Should be fine.

That picture of the guy holding the phone isn't really fair. No one holds big phones like that. Usually your fingers are going to be under the centre of the phone, not wrapped around it completely.

nib95

Banned

Can't say I'm at all surprised. Certain outlets just have a thing for Apple products and can't help but offer up hypocritical, improperly thought out or bias viewpoints now and again.

giga

The Verge author who reviewed the Note 3 is complaining about the large iPhone 6 sizes on his twitter. Come on guys.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Apparently Verizon bumped my upgrade date. It was next Thursday, so I wasn't sure how I'd pre-order and get upgrade pricing this Friday, but I just checked and it says I am now eligible for a new phone. Woot.

Naw. I'm talking about the regular subsidized pricing for buying the phone, not a rental type thing like that. Last year Sprint gave me early subsidized pricing and I hope they do the same in 2015.

Oh, alright. I'm not a Sprint customer but that looks like a good deal for anyone who is or is thinking of making the switch. $70 a month with no tax on the phone, unlimited everything, and an upgrade every two years is actually like $20 a month cheaper than my grandfathered AT&T plan, sucks that people seem to have problems with Sprint's service around me though.

Top Bottom