• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Yes, actually.

I think I also speak for most of us when I say didn't think the 4.7 inch model would be just a tad bit better than the 5S model....it has similar technical specifications is many categories.

When you look at the the 3S to the 4, or the 4S to the 5, these are far superior transformations.

There's precedence for this, it basically went as I expected with the 5.5 having a better resolution and battery life, I can agree that it is a very small upgrade though. Almost like a 5SS.

Really disappointed. I'll always give Apple props for a better ecosystem which is why I'm curious in the first place. But the specs are very underwhelming. The bezel is embarrassing. 1GB ram is mind boggling. No waterproofing. Unless you're into bigger phones i don't know why anyone would bother upgrading from the 5s.

wifi calling and volte is neat but still lttp. Welp theres always next year.

3phemeral

BxHWndmCIAAV70q.jpg:large

Lol Ron Amadeo killin it..

But im still buying the IPhone 6 Plus when jailbreaks hit that bad boy Jhezz..

By the way if any Gaffers want this on Day one and are in Aberdeen, and are on O2 let me know :)

There's also this:

Guess Who

Banned
Every year people complain that the new iPhone isn't THAT much better than the last year's. The 5S is just a 5 with a fingerprint scanner! But the trick is that the new phone isn't meant for people who bought last year's phone, it's meant for the people who bought the phone two years ago.

Has Apple made the iPhone be the Call of Duty of the phone industry?

Comes out with an amazing product that revolutionizes the genre (iPhone/CoD4)
Product gets better each year till it "plateaus" i.e don't bitch because its apple or COD (iPhone 4 and MW2 or arguably BO1)
Afterwards, people start arguing its the same every year! (4S/MW3)
People fall in love with its competition (Android/Battlefield)
Competition gains popularity but doesn't quite reach sales of the previous guy (Galaxy series/BF3)
Competition becomes arrogant and think they can do what they want because we did all these things before X, look at how many players/screen size is!! (Note series and BF4)
New product comes out that finally catches up, but people are still skeptical and in a wait and see mode (iPhone 6 and Advanced Warfare)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
1080p display on a phone is not really a factor that comes into play unless you have a TV. 1080p on phone look nearly as good as a 720p phone

That's simply false. I had a Galaxy Nexus previously (and also briefly a SGS3), now I have a Nexus 5. 720p to 1080p. And the difference is very noticeable. At 720p you can still clearly see pixels, 1080p is where that stops being an issue (at these sizes). 720p is too low for a 4.5-5" phone, 1080p is perfect.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Hmmm, maybe I'll wait for 6+ reviews before advising my mother to pick one up. She would very much benefit from the larger screen and talk time, but impressions concern me. Either way, 6 for me!

Mononoke

Banned
There's also this:

The Verge is pretty bad with their hyperbole. Should have seen some of their comments during the keynote. I've never had a Note, is it really thin? One thing I've noticed is that the iPhone 6 + is really thin + the curve shape (vs a more sharper/ square edges).

It doesn't change the fact that, you can't really hold it with one hand and use it the way you normally could (with a smaller one). I think I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and try out a Note in person.

Guess Who

Banned
That's simply false. I had a Galaxy Nexus previously, now I have a Nexus 5. 720p to 1080p. And the difference is very noticeable. At 720p you can still clearly see pixels, 1080p is where that stops being an issue (at these sizes). 720p is too low for a 4.5-5" phone, 1080p is perfect.

Galaxy Nexus 720p was also PenTile, which probably didn't do it any favors.

does anyone have a size comparison of the LG G3 and iPhone 6+? seems like Apple really dropped the ball on the resolution, bezel and the design.

LG G3 - 5.5 inches at 1440 x 2560 534 ppi
iPhone 6+ - 5.5 inches at 1920x1080 401 ppi

knicks

Every year people complain that the new iPhone isn't THAT much better than the last year's. The 5S is just a 5 with a fingerprint scanner! But the trick is that the new phone isn't meant for people who bought last year's phone, it's meant for the people who bought the phone two years ago.

3S to the 4, and 4S to the 5 though were enormous upgrades. I don't recall anyone saying otherwise.

Game4life

Banned
Sucks 6 has worse specs than 6+; I don't want a 5.5 inch screen. :(

I'm confident the App selection is still vastly superior; the large selection of Android phones hinders a broad range of apps for all phones.

What apps do you regularly use in iOS that does not have a comparable equivalent on android?

Apple has always been behind in specs. Pretty much, they make up for it with "optimization"...if you choose to think that works or not. I think at this point, you just have to accept that the iOS platform isn't ever going to get a massive overhaul. And newer iterations of the phone will just get new features and spec bumps (but spec bumps within their closed system and how they are going to optimize it -- so it won't ever compare to the competition in terms of raw numbers). I'm not trying to defend it. I agree on paper, they are charging too much for specs that are lackluster. Or rather, if other companies can provide specs that are better for the same cost, why can't Apple do the same, and then optimize things around their system? But I also think that whenever they do come out with new phones, the system always functions really well (especially in comparison to other phones with better specs, that have bloatware or their own custom UI overlay).

But at the end of the day, you either love iOS or you don't. I personally wanted to get away from iPhones, but I never found an android I fell in love with. The closest for me was the Nexus 4 (shit battery), and the HTC One. I just always ended up coming back to iOS. I even prefer jailbreaking to rooting. Just a personal preference thing.

I agree with everything you said. The phones work really well but it is the bolded that has always irritated me about Apple.

Has Apple made the iPhone be the Call of Duty of the phone industry?

Comes out with an amazing product that revolutionizes the genre (iPhone/CoD4)
Product gets better each year till it "plateaus" i.e don't bitch because its apple or COD (iPhone 4 and MW2 or arguably BO1)
Afterwards, people start arguing its the same every year! (4S/MW3)
People fall in love with its competition (Android/Battlefield)
Competition gains popularity but doesn't quite reach sales of the previous guy (Galaxy series/BF3)
Competition becomes arrogant and think they can do what they want because we did all these things before X, look at how many players/screen size is!! (Note series and BF4)
New product comes out that finally catches up, but people are still skeptical and in a wait and see mode (iPhone 6 and Advanced Warfare)

Erm no. Comparison doesn't work. Partially because Android sells more volume, Google aren't arrogant (yet) and there's way more than one Android phone per year. Back to the drawing board with you sir.

3phemeral

The Verge is pretty bad with their hyperbole. Should have seen some of their comments during the keynote. I've never had a Note, is it really thin? One thing I've noticed is that the iPhone 6 + is really thin + the curve shape (vs a more sharper/ square edges).

It doesn't change the fact that, you can't really hold it with one hand and use it the way you normally could (with a smaller one). I think I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and try out a Note in person.

I have a Note 3 (well, I don't, but my partner does), and I understand the iPhone 6 plus may thinner, but I wonder how much difference that translates to when your hand is stretched across the back to hold it. It's definitely not a one-hand phone but I somehow doubt that the iPhone 6 Plus is any better at one-handed operation either. Especially not so much so that I'd compare similarly sized android phones as "completely unwieldy" in contrast, especially without extended use.

Mononoke

Banned
What apps do you regularly use in iOS that does not have a comparable equivalent on android?

I agree with everything you said. The phones work really well but it is the bolded that has always irritated me.

I think, Apple does a really good job with their optimization and their design. I know some find their OS boring, or not having enough options. But I love it, and that's why I and many keep coming back to it (although I like to jailbreak it to add more to it. As I said, I actually prefer iOS jailbroken to android root).

But I feel like Apple is kind of shitty about the specs, because they know that people will keep coming back for something they really like. So they make a product people really like (and that works really well within their optimization), and pretty much charge a premium for it (while not using specs that competitors are using and selling for the same price).

I have a Note 3 (well, I don't, but my partner does), and I understand the iPhone 6 plus may thinner, but I wonder how much difference that translates to when your hand is stretched across the back to hold it. It's definitely not a one-hand phone but I somehow doubt that the iPhone 6 plus is any better at one-handed operation. Especially not so much so that I'd compare similarly sized android phones as "completely unwieldy" in contrast, especially without extended use.

Yeah agreed. Dimensions are dimensions. And the iPhone 6 + is really tall. So it is hypocritical of them to say that about one phone, and not another. I do think the thinness + the shape of the phone will make it easier to hold, and more comfortable. But it doesn't change the dimension issue (as you said).

Game4life

Banned
Had to Google it, Z3 has a higher resolution, more ram and a bigger battery compared to the Z3 compact, am I missing something, because it's basically the same situation?

My bad. Wanted to reply to someone else. You are right. It is very much the same situation.

Waiting on someone to post a picture of the ancient brick-sized cell phones, and put a iPhone 7 tag on it.

Missed the conference, but reading the basics. So, nothing really "new", it's just bigger, and more or less cannibalizes the iPad Mini's/Air market.

Though, guess the watch is the "innovation" product of the year.

And exactly how does the 6 do that again ?

I have the 4 right now, had it since late 2010. Should I upgrade or get another phone? Sort of attached to Apple because of my iTunes library but that might be a non-issue.

Curufinwe

I have the 4 right now, had it since late 2010. Should I upgrade or get another phone? Sort of attached to Apple because of my iTunes library but that might be a non-issue.

How closely wedded are you to iTunes? That's why I'm going from a 4S to a 6 and not even looking at Android phones.

Awaiting the influx of Apple fans who suddenly LOVE big phones.
Reading on macrumors, I don't feel that this was true in the recent past (might be true for some apple defenders maybe)
Did they get into what type of files the phone produces with photos. No RAW or DNG files? All these good camera updated and it still spits out jpegs?
Most Android devinces don't support RAW, but they will by default with Android L.
There a side by side size comparison to the Galaxy phones?
WOEaMJ3.png

more: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129226016&postcount=402

Mononoke

Banned

There are other phones out there with much better specs and probably more bang for your buck. I would say, how much do you love iOS? How much do you have invested in the Apple Ecosystem (in terms of music, videos, subscriptions)?

The new phones will still be great devices, no doubt. But if you are looking for the absolute best you can buy, then there is probably technically better phones. It just depends on what you value. I personally don't like Android's OS, so to me iOS is a higher priority then specs on other phones. I would say, the jump from iPhone 4 to 6 would be pretty noticeable (in terms of the screen size difference, and the performance). So it won't feel like a bad upgrade for you. If you had an iPhone 5, then jumping to 6 might feel more lackluster (unless you went for the iPhone 6 +)

Ayumi

Wanted to use my iPhone 4S forever (the size is just perfect for my hands) but then it slowly started dying. I still use it to this day, but I guess I'll buy an iPhone 6. It's so huge though.. And the Plus size is just unbelievable. I'm so happy it comes in two sizes! Even though it's even larger than 5/5S, it's gotta be way more easy to get used to than that goddamn iPhone Plus mini tablet size thing. Wouldn't mind a 4S sized iPhone 6.

knicks

People loved the 3GS to the 4, but a huge sentiment between the 4S and 5 was "they just made it taller! LOL LONGPHONE"

I disagree. The 5 introduced 4G/LTE which was huge. The battery life is much batter, in my case anyways. It charges much quicker too. My 5 goes from 35% to 90% in literally 25 min. It also has a much better front camera.

Don't forget the 4S only had 512MB a RAM. The 5 went to 1GB, much faster than a 4S.

kaskade

Wanted to use my iPhone 4S forever (the size is just perfect for my hands) but then it slowly started dying. I still use it to this day, but I guess I'll buy an iPhone 6. It's so huge though.. And the Plus size is just unbelievable. I'm so happy it comes in two sizes! Even though it's even larger than 5/5S, it's gotta be way more easy to get used to than that goddamn iPhone Plus mini tablet size thing. Wouldn't mind a 4S sized iPhone 6.
From the printout ars posted the 6 doesn't feel much wider than the 5s. i think it'll be comfortable.

MicH

I'm still using my 4S as well and I really like the size as well. I use this thing to browse the internet a lot more than my laptop! I think the 6 will still be a good upgrade. You'll probably just have to get used to the size. The 6 Plus is way too big though

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't know why people keep saying the 6 is gimped compared to the 6+. Both have the same processor so the 6 might actually perform better with some games as it has fewer pixels to move around. Otherwise it is just a few different landscape view modes which are simply a function of the screen size. Doesn't seem to be anything to get upset about.

OIS is about the only real feature missing which seems fair enough considering it needs space for that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Am I crazy, or is the closest "flagship" spec wise to the 4.7 the Moto G?

Current? Maybe. The nexus 4 is pretty close but that has wireless charging which the iPhone doesn't have, so arguably it's behind even a 2012 nexus which cost half what the iPhone does

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How closely wedded are you to iTunes? That's why I'm going from a 4S to a 6 and not even looking at Android phones.
Huh? I haven't used iTunes on my phone since my 4 in 2010. Well into 2011. But 2011 with iCloud and I stopped using iTunes.

Erebus

I don't know why people keep saying the 6 is gimped compared to the 6+. Both have the same processor so the 6 might actually perform better with some games as it has fewer pixels to move around. Otherwise it is just a few different landscape view modes which are simply a function of the screen size. Doesn't seem to be anything to get upset about.

OIS is about the only real feature missing which seems fair enough considering it needs space for that.
Finally someone who gets it.

You should've upgraded a long time ago.

It'll be night and day
Yeah, I just was happy with my good ol 4 for so long, and didn't want to spend ridiculous amounts upgrading. Got a steady job now (got my 4 in highschool) so I'm considering the next step.
Pretty damn close. Been using it since the 3rd Gen Ipod Nano when I was in Middle School.

There are other phones out there with much better specs and probably more bang for your buck. I would say, how much do you love iOS? How much do you have invested in the Apple Ecosystem (in terms of music, videos, subscriptions)?
Honestly couldn't say, iOS is all I've ever used so I don't really have an opinion on other operating systems. No problems with Apple, but my phone is slow as fuck these days and I figure upgrading would solve all of my issues. Thanks Azula:)

Minsc

Gold Member

It's missing an entire row of icons! Clearly inferior. That or 6 Plus users have to deal with all that open space on each page.

The resolution argument is interesting, but the iPhone 6 has more power than what we saw happen to the iPad 3 vs iPad 2. Probably does have a slight edge at 750p for more demanding stuff, but it should be fine I think, especially if you're on a 2-year cycle and you upgrade it instead of keeping it for longer. The apps won't advance fast enough to press it that much. and it is 50% faster than the 5S which probably won't even really be lagging until the end of those two years.

rude

Banned
Yup. Still have a 4S and I'll definitely be upgrading.

Top Bottom