• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Guess Who

Banned
It's actually smaller. It's bigger ONLY IF you compare H and W dimensions and completely forget about D.

If you look at the volumetric space of the 6 Plus it's 81,164 cubic mm. The Galaxy Note 4 volumetric is 102,553 cubic mm. So the Galaxy Note 4 is 26% bigger by volume. Weight between the two is comparable (172g vs. 176g), with the 6 Plus very slightly lighter.

So what you're saying is, the iPhone 6+ has a smaller D.

It's actually smaller. It's bigger ONLY IF you compare H and W dimensions and completely forget about D.

If you look at the volumetric space of the 6 Plus it's 81,164 cubic mm. The Galaxy Note 4 volumetric is 102,553 cubic mm. So the Galaxy Note 4 is 26% bigger by volume. Weight between the two is comparable (172g vs. 176g), with the 6 Plus very slightly lighter.

I think people care more about the height and width in their pockets more than an ever-so-slight increase in depth.

rezuth

AMOLED is simply superior to LCD. In terms of black levels (tremendous difference), contrast, white accuracy and even colour range (people forget Samsung offer non saturated, closer to D6500k than even the iPhone options for their newest devices). Then there's viewing angles, and as you mentioned, resolution. Honestly, putting mobiles with LCD panels against the best of AMOLED is sort of like comparing LED HDTV's with the best Plasma and AMOLED alternatives.

And you preferring iOS and it's ecosystem doesn't detract from the fact that the Note 4 is simply capable of considerably more, especially on the multitasking front.

Seeing as iOS is built towards bright colors and whiteness I think LCD would make more sense than AMOLED and while in theory AMOLED screens might be better I'm not sure they have really surpassed the iPhone 5S screen yet.

nib95

Banned
Both black levels and contrast ratios were drastically improved on the 6. So, until we have them in hand, we don't know how good or better it is. And regarding color saturation and accuracy, Samsung just joined the party in that department: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8258/evaluating-samsungs-qhd-amoled-displays

And yes, my OS preference does mean it can do things that other systems can't. It can be as simple as something like tapping the status bar to scroll to the top of any page or app.
Drastically improved or not, they won't come close to AMOLED blacks, which are essentially pure black. It's just a short coming of LCD technology. I'm not sure what the black level cd/m2 of the iPhone 5S is, or what the iPhone 6's will be, but I can almost guarantee it won't even be comparable to the best Plasma TV's out there, let alone close to AMOLED. Not everyone cares about these differences, hell in certain conditions they're actually harder to see, but when you properly compare them side by side, the differences can be pretty stark.

Seeing as iOS is built towards bright colors and whiteness I think LCD would make more sense than AMOLED and while in theory AMOLED screens might be better I'm not sure they have really surpassed the iPhone 5S screen yet.
The newest AMOLED panels on the newer devices easily oust the iPhone 5S's screen. Personally I hope all mobile vendors switch to AMOLED. It's just the superior technology.

BxHWndmCIAAV70q.jpg:large

Lol Ron Amadeo killin it..

But im still buying the IPhone 6 Plus when jailbreaks hit that bad boy Jhezz..

Smidget

Other than getting unlimited text messages, is there any way to get around how amazing iMessages are? Especially with friends and family :/ We are currently on a 200 message per phone plan and we barely hit it because of the iMessages. I'd almost like to change to the LG G3 for $49 on AT&T, but the darn messaging.... me adding that to my contract would up it by a TON!

Yeah except the fact that, not everyone likes Android OS. I've tried many different phone's over the years (the majority android), and I always liked iOS more. So while I definitely agree Apple is terrible when it comes to implementing new features, I still like apple phone's better. I wish people would start realizing that it's not 100% about features that sells people on which phones to use.

I've had phone's that had much better specs/features than iPhone, and I still liked the iPhone better. Believe it or not, not everyone is a mac fan boy, and it just comes down to preference.

It's a joke. Chill.

LeleSocho

Banned
Here is a comparison from a few pages back. Note that the Note also has a bigger battery and supports Micro SD cards. :)

Lacks die sizes which are fundamental imo

Dude the 5S's screen isn't even the best iphone screen, both 5 and 5C have better screens. AMOLED image quality is clearly superior but they are nowhere as reliable as any lcd screen, it's a matter a taste in the end: Reliability vs IQ

DarkFlow

Banned
hey guys..i'm with At&t but I want to get a phone off contract. Can they unlock those since it's technically my phone already? or will Apple release factory unlocked phones day 1?
Buy it on the next plan, then pay it off and they will unlock it.

Mononoke

Banned
Here is a comparison from a few pages back. Note that the Note also has a bigger battery and supports Micro SD cards. :)

Do we know the actual battery life comparisons? Can't a phone with a technically smaller battery still last longer, with optimization etc.?

I really don't know, just curious.

Do we know the actual battery life comparisons? Can't a phone with a technically smaller battery still last longer, with optimization etc.?

It might but the chart they put up during the conference shows the same amount between the 6 and 5S with the exception of a few areas.

billeh

Every AMOLED I've used was really oversaturated and the yellows always looked more like mustard. The blacks were phenomenal, but I prefer IPS displays' color palettes.

Frodo

Probably, but I was just noting that Samsung managed to squeeze a bigger screen, bugger battery and MicroSD card slot in a smaller design...

Mononoke

Banned
Probably, but I was just noting that Samsung managed to squeeze a bigger screen, bugger battery and MicroSD card slot in a smaller design...

Yeah, it kind of bugs me that Apple has the dimensions slightly bigger than Note 4 with a smaller screen. That really bugs me actually. I'll be curious to see how the actual battery life comparisons are between these though.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
oh wow 89mm2 is for such a powerful chip is remarkable but this means that there are absolutely no reasons for the phone to be that large.

No technical reason sure, but people like large phones apparently, and it turns out even Apple caved in on that one.

LeleSocho

Banned

Add a bigger and hotter processor too to that
No technical reason sure, but people like large phones apparently, and it turns out even Apple caved in on that one.

It's a phablet it's big for the sake of being big.

The ratio technology inside/dimensions of the phone is horrible compared to the competition though.

Tekniqs

I'm facing the same dilemma as you lol. I'm torn between iPhone 6 and Sony Z3c.

they iphone 6 is pretty much the same size as my htc one so that's good. The z3c looks sexy as hell and it's slightly smaller. I need to see more of the Iphone 6 to decide. I want to see how the digital image stabilization works.

Dez

Yeah, it kind of bugs me that Apple has the dimensions slightly bigger than Note 4 with a smaller screen. That really bugs me actually. I'll be curious to see how the actual battery life comparisons are between these though.

Apple is stuck on that front due to the size of their iconic home button. Instead they've focused on making it thinner, which it is compared to everything else on the market.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
BxHWndmCIAAV70q.jpg:large

Lol Ron Amadeo killin it..

But im still buying the IPhone 6 Plus when jailbreaks hit that bad boy Jhezz..

By the way if any Gaffers want this on Day one and are in Aberdeen, and are on O2 let me know :)

lol damn.

Slightly off topic:
Whens the news on ipod touch 6? Guess I shouldn't expect much since it'll probably carry on the tradition and use last year's model specs(hopefully least 5s specs and not 5/5c). If they even continue the line that is

Frodo

The ratio technology inside/dimensions of the phone is horrible compared to the competition though.

But... but... but THE SOFTWARE....! Will be the new excuse, you'll see. :p

But seriously now, it feels kind of unreal that other companies seem to be so ahead of the curve now... Or maybe it is only different priorities from Apple, like profit, since they know people will buy their products regardless. Still... interesting to see.

nib95

Banned
Every AMOLED I've used was really oversaturated and the yellows always looked more like mustard. The blacks were phenomenal, but I prefer IPS displays' color palettes.
You were probably using one of the default display modes, which like many HDTV's these days with their default "vibrant" or "dynamic" modes, intentionally over saturates colours and contrast for added pop. Generally these devices have numerous display modes, and one of them is usually always more honest in its colour accuracy, and far closer to D6500k too.

Cromat

The phones look cool and Apple has pretty much matched all of Android's major advantages: large screens, cross app functionality, widgets and custom keyboards.

This is very much a "catching up" device but we must remember that Apple still has the best build quality and app ecosystem.

Still I see no reason to leave my Nexus 5 in this year or the next probably.

LeleSocho

Banned
But... but... but THE SOFTWARE....! Will be the new excuse, you'll see. :p

But seriously now, it feels kind of unreal that other companies seem to be so ahead of the curve now... Or maybe it is only different priorities from Apple, like profit, since they know people will buy their products regardless. Still... interesting to see.

Software is actually a fair and right motivation to choose one product over the other and we know that iOS is optimized like few things in the world, the fact is that usually with Apple one is used to have arguably the best hardware too other than ad-hoc software but this time around they dropped the ball on that.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah the Plus is just too big. Can't see myself handling it comfortably during a long time. Going to have to just go for the regular 6.

gizmodoiphonehand.jpg

I wonder if this guy has really small hands. I printed out the template to size, and holding it in my right hand, my thumb can extend to the edge of the phone (not screen, the entire phone) without trouble.

Mimicking the way he's holding it, my thumb would extend to the top of the phone, where his only goes to the volume controls.

That said, it is rather large. I know people who have similar sized phones... but I still wonder. I want the Plus, but with a case, it'd be ever larger. I'll still probably get the larger one, but I can see the draw to the regular 6 too (and it's cheaper...).

Vyer

As far as spec sheets go, as long as it continues to be among (if not the) best in performance and software, hardware and third party support of any device out there I'm fine with it. Real life application of those numbers is far more important.

Majine

Banned
I hope they revisit the 4 inch form factor in the future, like an iPhone Mini or something. I can't have those big phones.

Top Bottom