• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Blackhead

Redarse
I dunno. Nothing you quoted from RubxQub made it look logically inconsistent that he wouldn't eventually give a large iOS device a try.

Can you read? He said he'd consider a larger device (i.e. larger than the iPhone 4S of the time) but not one as large as the Note.

Interfectum

That's the $100 question at this point. I use an armband now with my iPod Touch, but may be switching to running with my phone once the Apple Watch comes out. An armband, even for my iPhone 6, may be way too large. I know it would be for the 6+ for sure, at least as far as I'm concerned. How far and often do you run? Streets or trails? I'd say the FlipBelt is a good option all around, and should work great with the 6+. Since the company gave me one, that might be what I transition to in the future. A hydration vest or running backpack is also a good option as well.

Thanks, I might try the flipbelt. I switch off between street and trail runs around four times a week (3-5 miles on weekdays, 9-12 on weekends) and right now I'm simply carrying my phone with me. I have a 15k and half marathon in the coming months and I'm gonna need to find a new phone solution after I get the 6+ haha. I use the mapmyfitness app for logging, GPS and heartrate.

DonDraper

Banned
If anyone has ordered from ATT before, I'm looking for info regarding delivery. My delivery estimate is for the 19th. What service do they use to ship? Does it usually get delivered in the morning, afternoon, or early evening?

No one is going to be home to sign for it on Friday, so I'm debating whether I should try to get it delivered to work instead, but want to make sure I'll be there when it's delivered. And since ATT hasn't shipped it yet, could I just go online to change the shipping address or would I be better off calling.

Thanks!

Thanks, I might try the flipbelt. I switch off between street and trail runs around four times a week (3-5 miles on weekdays, 9-12 on weekends) and right now I'm simply carrying my phone with me. I have a 15k and half marathon in the coming months and I'm gonna need to find a new phone solution after I get the 6+ haha. I use the mapmyfitness app for logging, GPS and heartrate.

Yeah, FlipBelt might be your best choice, and maybe a small hydration pack on longer runs. Hopefully we'll see some interesting new options once these phones are out for a bit. I know that large Android phones have been around for awhile, but Apple tends to get the accessory manufacturers more excited.

I hope Anand does one more iphone review, or at least a fluff piece about how great his new masters are. I wonder if Anand moved to California or are they building a team around him in Carolina

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can you read? He said he'd consider a larger device (i.e. larger than the iPhone 4S of the time) but not one as large as the Note.

Did you choose not to quote that post in your extensive sleuthing? I certainly don't see him stating in absolute terms that he would never consider an iOS device that's as big as the note.

jstripes

Banned
I'll buy when they announce Apple Pay plans for Canada. Other than that I think I can hold off.

I hope I think I can hold off
Canada might be a bit more difficult for Apple than the US.

The US has a horrible, fragmented, out of date payment system that's slowly being replaced, which is the perfect time for Apple to jump in. Canada has the Interac network, which is very well established.

We'll have to wait and see.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Canada might be a bit more difficult for Apple than the US.

The US has a horrible, fragmented, out of date payment system that's slowly being replaced, which is the perfect time for Apple to jump in. Canada has the Interac network, which is very well established.

We'll have to wait and see.

Good point, and it's probably the case for anywhere that isn't the US at this point.

Ninja Dom

What time on Friday did you have to order by to get the phone day 1? I ordered at 8:30 AM PST and it says the fucker's not shipping until October 14th.

What type of phone did you order?

In the UK, Apple's preorders opened around 8.00am. My friend ordered at 8.30am and got a Day One delivery slot. I ordered at 11.15am and got a 29 Sep - 2 Oct delivery slot. Same phone's as each other (6, Space Grey, 128GB).

I'm considering leaving ATT. Are the other carriers really offering a better deal right now? It would be my wife and I sharing 6-10 gigs of data.

These ATT Next deals are really expensive.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Any T-Mobile users have their order update? Mine just did: new ship date for my iPhone 6 Plus is 9/22/2014.

Deku Tree

I'm considering leaving ATT. Are the other carriers really offering a better deal right now? It would be my wife and I sharing 6-10 gigs of data.

I thought ATT Next actually reduced my bill. That said, T-Mobile seems to be offering good deals at the moment.

Dsyndrome

What type of phone did you order?

In the UK, Apple's preorders opened around 8.00am. My friend ordered at 8.30am and got a Day One delivery slot. I ordered at 11.15am and got a 29 Sep - 2 Oct delivery slot. Same phone's as each other (6, Space Grey, 128GB).

Iphone 6 64 GB, issue may also be that I went through AT&T vice Apple. Still took forever to get through.

yami4ct

Looks like Verizon's finally shipped out both my 6+s. Yay. Strangely enough, they'll be coming via UPS instead of FedEx like my 6. Wonder why it went that way?

In more "Verizon's website is hot garbage" news, my order status page for those +s is hilarious. Clicking on the, obviously UPS, tracking number tries to input it into the FedEx website. Even funnier, the carrier is listed as UPSSH.

additional iPhone 6 and 6+ arriving in the USA

VQmqTDU.jpg

EPqwehz.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Did you choose not to quote that post in your extensive sleuthing? I certainly don't see him stating in absolute terms that he would never consider an iOS device that's as big as the note.
Reading comprehension wtf?!
My personal opinion is that the Note is a crazy behemoth of a phone that I'd never consider (partially because it's still Android, partially because I don't want a crazy huge phone)...but even I can acknowledge that there are probably consumers out there who want crazy huge phones with a stylus. It seems like there's some market for it.

At least it's a different take on things, and that much I appreciate. Not for me, regardless.

Not exactly thrilled with the idea of a bigger phone, but I'd give it a shot. Something comically large like the Note would make me double take...but there's next no chance Apple releases a phone that big in this next iteration or ever.

He said there's some market for a Galaxy Note sized phone but he's not part of it. There's a wide range of 'larger' sizes between 3.5" iPhone 4s and 5.3" Galaxy Note (including the 4.7"iPhone 6) but RubxQub went for the 5.5" iPhone 6+. I'm not a member of detectiveGAF or did any sleuthing, I just recalled three posts from one thread which RubxQub directly replied to me. *shrug* Since you're interested in defending him so much, perhaps you can find a post where RubxQub unequivocally said he wants a Note that runs iOS.

Ninja Dom

So we can get internal specs tomorrow like RAM?

If it's like last year then there will be a whole load of browser benchmarks that show up first. Some may be able to tell us the RAM. Hopefully some reporters can run an official Geekbench test too.

I wonder if Apple give the reviewers any conditions about what they should or shouldn't run with their reviews.

Deku Tree

If it's like last year then there will be a whole load of browser benchmarks that show up first. Some may be able to tell us the RAM. Hopefully some reporters can run an official Geekbench test too.

I wonder if Apple give the reviewers any conditions about what they should or shouldn't run with their reviews.

I hope Ars does a full spec analysis.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ffs...

the next deals aren't "expensive" (nor are the comparable VZW, Sprint, etc stuff)

You are paying full price on the phone either way, whether you buy the phone off contract either from apple or through one of the installment programs, or buy it at "upgrade pricing" with a contract.

my bill with AT&T under contract for 5 lines was around $300. My bill for 5 lines under Mobile Share Value (no contract, no subsidies) is under $200. I am literally saving over $600 per year off of my bill... Now assume I upgrade all 5 lines over 2 years..

$300 x 36 = $10,800
5 x $0 (free phone worth $450) = $0
Total = $10,800

$190 x 36 = $6840
5 x $450 (free tier phone) = 2250
Total = $9.090

Now let's take the top end iPhone 6 Plus
$300 x 36 = $10,800
5 x $499 = $2,495
Total = $13,295

$190 x 36 = $6840
5 x $949 = $4,745
Total = $11,585

And that's if you upgrade within every two years. If there are phones that go without upgrading in two years (a mom's phone, kid's phone, etc) you save even more.

Fuchsdh

Wouldn't be surprised if it's still 1GB, although all other RAM increases came with "tick" releases (the iPhone 3GS>4 with 512MB, the 4S>5 with 1GB) as opposed to an S release (the 3GS doubling RAM over the 3G and original's 128MB.)

ffs...

the next deals aren't "expensive" (nor are the comparable VZW, Sprint, etc stuff)

You are paying full price on the phone either way, whether you buy the phone off contract either from apple or through one of the installment programs, or buy it at "upgrade pricing" with a contract.

my bill with AT&T under contract for 5 lines was around $300. My bill for 5 lines under Mobile Share Value (no contract, no subsidies) is under $200. I am literally saving over $600 per year off of my bill... Now assume I upgrade all 5 lines over 2 years..

$300 x 36 = $10,800
5 x $0 (free phone worth $450) = $0
Total = $10,800

$190 x 36 = $6840
5 x $450 (free tier phone) = 2250
Total = $9.090

Now let's take the top end iPhone 6 Plus
$300 x 36 = $10,800
5 x $499 = $2,495
Total = $13,295

$190 x 36 = $6840
5 x $949 = $4,745
Total = $11,585

And that's if you upgrade within every two years. If there are phones that go without upgrading in two years (a mom's phone, kid's phone, etc) you save even more.

Ran the numbers on my 3-person family plan, I'd only be saving about $300 over two years with Verizon buying outright as opposed to subsidies (partially because data pool charges eat away some of the discounts monthly for buying.) Sure it's some scratch I don't have to pay, but sadly if I stay with my current carrier, I won't be making much.

Corgi

Banned
yeah aT&T really did drop the prices a bunch on Next after t-mobile started being aggressive.

Contracted at AT&T and execs did mention they lost millions last year to keep up with the other carriers.

Deku Tree

Wouldn't be surprised if it's still 1GB, although all other RAM increases came with "tick" releases (the iPhone 3GS>4 with 512MB, the 4S>5 with 1GB) as opposed to an S release (the 3GS doubling RAM over the 3G and original's 128MB.)

Well there is this:

6 Plus 2GB RAM: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6_plus-6665.php

6 1GB RAM: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6-6378.php

Not sure if that is reliable... I also wouldn't be surprised if Apple stuck with 1GB of RAM. I don't care as long as it doesn't affect performance, and I don't care about tabs reloading etc... On the other hand Apple will have to be producing an A8 Chip with 2GB of RAM if they want to do multitasking on the new iPad's IMO.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν

The RAM bump is something that I want, but don't even really understand what the cost/benefit details would be. I just assume more is better in all cases...but perhaps there's more nuance to it.

I was reading stuff about increased power draw by having the extra RAM and that iOS 8 seemingly is much better at handling multiple tabs in Safari, which seems to be the main area where people notice the RAM situation.

Seems like the 6+ would be the only possible chance of getting 2GB though. There was some 2GB part leak a couple weeks ago, so it could happen.

I assume with the huge battery in the 6+ the power draw concern is essentially negated or reduced to negligible impact. Never heard of increased RAM causing more battery draw, but it doesn't sound too outlandish if there are more things to manage on the device.

Called the Best Buy I preordered the 6 from and was told they will not have any 6+'sand all 6's are going for the people who preordered only... No extra phones for walkins... Ouch

Fuchsdh

The RAM bump is something that I want, but don't even really understand what the cost/benefit details would be. I just assume more is better in all cases...but perhaps there's more nuance to it.

I was reading stuff about increased power draw by having the extra RAM and that iOS 8 seemingly is much better at handling multiple tabs in Safari, which seems to be the main area where people notice the RAM situation.

Seems like the 6+ would be the only possible chance of getting 2GB though. There was some 2GB part leak a couple weeks ago, so it could happen.

I assume with the huge battery in the 6+ the power draw concern is essentially negated or reduced to negligible impact. Never heard of increased RAM causing more battery draw, but it doesn't sound too outlandish if there are more things to manage on the device.
Like you point out, biggest drawback is power draw. iOS in general is far better at memory management than Android and iOS seems to be improving on that so it might not matter as much, but even I run against some occasional browser tab reloading and I'm not a heavy internet or app user (I generally force-quit apps manually as I know I'm not going to use them again for weeks.)

Ninja Dom

Well there is this:

6 Plus 2GB RAM: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6_plus-6665.php

6 1GB RAM: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6-6378.php

Not sure if that is reliable... I also wouldn't be surprised if Apple stuck with 1GB of RAM. I don't care as long as it doesn't affect performance, and I don't care about tabs reloading etc... On the other hand Apple will have to be producing an A8 Chip with 2GB of RAM if they want to do multitasking on the new iPad's IMO.

Unreliable. I don't trust (or like) GSMArena.

They are heavily biased in my opinion. The Samsung Galaxy S4 could do no wrong last year and their non-critical review was running at exactly the same time Samsung were paying for huge advertising around the site. Also, for a "leading" mobile phone website they never show up to any of the Apple iPhone events (not invited) and their reporting seems to have a negative Apple slant. /end rant.

Yeah, so, erm,,,unreliable.

Called the Best Buy I preordered the 6 from and was told they will not have any 6+'sand all 6's are going for the people who preordered only... No extra phones for walkins... Ouch

I just found out the carrier I ordered from (Bell in Canada) won't accept a trade in (current 5S) after I receive the iPhone 6 Plus. I have to buy my phone in store for that. I was hoping to trade in my 5S as credit towards my monthly account fees. Pain in the neck.

I'm considering cancelling the order so I can try my luck on Friday but it's between Best Buy (which sounds like a no go) and a Bell store.

Then again, I don't want to lose my chances of getting the phone sooner rather than later.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Like you point out, biggest drawback is power draw. iOS in general is far better at memory management than Android and iOS seems to be improving on that so it might not matter as much, but even I run against some occasional browser tab reloading and I'm not a heavy internet or app user (I generally force-quit apps manually as I know I'm not going to use them again for weeks.)

I've definitely experienced the Safari tab reloading thing, but beyond that specific use case I haven't really ever heard of an article saying: "App developers tired of gimping apps because iPhone has so little RAM".

Like, the performance of the OS and the software seems stellar on the device...so it's hard for me to say "WE NEED MORE RAM!" for any other reason than this tab loading issue.

More seems better, like I won't say no to more, but the fury over having 1GB vs. 2GB seems driven by spec sheet lust more than functional need unless I'm really missing some obvious use cases.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ran the numbers on my 3-person family plan, I'd only be saving about $300 over two years with Verizon buying outright as opposed to subsidies (partially because data pool charges eat away some of the discounts monthly for buying.) Sure it's some scratch I don't have to pay, but sadly if I stay with my current carrier, I won't be making much.
not sure entirely about Verizon... I just know from personal experience that the Mobile Share Value on AT&T versus contract data plan each at ~10GB data for the account comes out to a little over the subsidy price (~$450) over two years per phone..

I will say play around with data allotments also... for instance on AT&T, moving to 10GB will in many/most cases actually save you money compared to any lower data buckets due to the per phone price dropping $25 per line at the 10GB tier and above.

Fuchsdh

not sure entirely about Verizon... I just know from personal experience that the Mobile Share Value on AT&T versus contract data plan each at ~10GB data for the account comes out to a little over the subsidy price (~$450) over two years per phone..

I will say play around with data allotments also... for instance on AT&T, moving to 10GB will in many/most cases actually save you money compared to any lower data buckets due to the per phone price dropping $25 per line at the 10GB tier and above.

Aye, that's where I'm getting screwed. I guess it depends how you classify "saving money" because at least in my data-light usage case it doesn't make sense to pay more for data I won't use, to pay less for the phone. I guess I'm not a class of customer that really makes buying worth it. Still, if it's marginally cheaper I guess it's still something to go for (especially as I dunno what the replacement options are if you break the phone, but as my 4S is still in perfect condition it seems moot for me.)

What is the best lowest profile iPhone 6+ case available which has lips so that if my iPhone is dropped face first, the lips get the impact, not the screen. Also something that can fit relatively easily like a glove and isnt TOO hard that it scratches the edge of the phone. and looks good. I love black or clear and I prefer not to get the ones with a hole in the back which show the the Phone apple logo (why?)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm in the UK, ordered mine at about 8:30-8:40ish. Couldn't get through on the site before then. The 6+ looked too big for me, and I already have a nexus 7 I use in the commute to work (reading comics mostly) and for general browsing at home, so I went for the 6. I've been struggling with storage a little on my 16GB iPhone 4 so I went for the 64GB one, not sure I'm happy that I'm getting double the storage I would have done or disappointed that the lower tier wasn't 32GB. Hard to say as that extra storage will come in very handy. Went with space grey as I prefer black iPhones, but I wish the back was a little darker. I managed to get a launch day delivery (I assume, it says 19th September in most areas) but I'm on holiday out of the country until Saturday. Getting it sent to work to pick up on the Monday. Going to be a long weekend!

To be honest, I'm not feeling the design right now, especially compared to my 4, but I am looking forward to getting all the updates the 4S, 5, 5S and 6 had all at once, going to seem like a whole new OS with the speed increases. Hopefully I enjoy the hell out of it when I get it. You can quote this in 2 years and ask me.

Went with an unlocked phone and a £15 unlimited 4G data & texts plan on Three with a 1 month contract, will save me a lot more than being on a contract for 2 years that includes the cost of the phone.

Anyone in Canada used Orchard to sell their iPhone?

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/orchard-sell-your-iphone/id700227391?mt=8

This seems like a great alternative to trading in the phone to a carrier or dealing with people through Craigslist or Kijijji.

Edit: Damn. The app checks how well your iPhone works and determines its value and then offers help in finding a buyer and you can pay them a small percentage to handle everything. This is sort of like gazelle for Canada. I think I'll keep my order and get better value with this.

Yaari

Not entirely related but having a hard time to find the proper place ask, so if someone could jump in it would be appreciated. I have to get my iPhone 5 battery replaced, I guess I have to put the thing to factory defaults before I bring it in? Also, there's a screen protector on the front. But do I need to remove stuff like that?

Never had to get anything done yet for an iPhone so I have no clue.

Aside from that, looking forward to 6 Plus impressions soon.

KevinG

Not entirely related but having a hard time to find the proper place ask, so if someone could jump in it would be appreciated. I have to get my iPhone 5 battery replaced, I guess I have to put the thing to factory defaults before I bring it in? Also, there's a screen protector on the front. But do I need to remove stuff like that?

Never had to get anything done yet for an iPhone so I have no clue.

Aside from that, looking forward to 6 Plus impressions soon.

I did the battery replacement a few weeks ago. Didn't need to do any of that stuff. Just had to turn off "Find My iPhone."

For those waiting for a shipping notice, when I bought my 4S at launch, I never received any kind of notice of shipment from Apple at all, and yet it showed up on my doorstep when it was suppose to. I wouldn't panic too much about that.

My 6 is getting shipped to my home on Friday. I won't be leaving my place at all that day until the box is dropped off, that much is certain.

For those waiting for a shipping notice, when I bought my 4S at launch, I never received any kind of notice of shipment from Apple at all, and yet it showed up on my doorstep when it was suppose to. I wouldn't panic too much about that.

My 6 is getting shipped to my home on Friday. I won't be leaving my place at all that day until the box is dropped off, that much is certain.

tumblr_m5bj75Rk1N1qd51ldo1_500.png

bodine1231

Is anyone moving over from a Note to either one of the new Apples? I keep going back and forth on whether to switch from my Note 3 back to IOS. I have no problems with the Note 3, aside from it occasionally not reconnecting after losing a signal, but I do miss the synergy between apps on my Ipad and phone.

Top Bottom