• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Aye, that's where I'm getting screwed. I guess it depends how you classify "saving money" because at least in my data-light usage case it doesn't make sense to pay more for data I won't use, to pay less for the phone. I guess I'm not a class of customer that really makes buying worth it. Still, if it's marginally cheaper I guess it's still something to go for (especially as I dunno what the replacement options are if you break the phone, but as my 4S is still in perfect condition it seems moot for me.)

seriously, look into it. My brother thought THE EXACT same way you do... EXACTLY. He looked into it and found that he'd save $19/month (ish) going to 10GB. And he and his wife use a whopping .9GB. Yeah, 900MB. So what? You have a shit load of data you will never use. In his case that's still $228/year he's saving.

Ninja Dom

I read in this thread that reviews will be available tomorrow, despite it not launching until Friday?

Yeah happens every year. Last year with the 5S, that also launched on a Friday with the reviews out on the Tuesday before.

Now remember, that these reviews are only from the sites that Apple has specifically decided to send review units to. Expect Engadget, The Verge, Anandtech, Re/Code.

Addnan

Does this happen when the order ships?

No idea, but it must be close to. Some Americans on mac rumours are able to track their shipping with reference number once the serial is up. I don't know how to do that from UK. My card has been charged, £699 gone from my account so guess shipping is close.

knicks

Yeah happens every year. Last year with the 5S, that also launched on a Friday with the reviews out on the Tuesday before.

Now remember, that these reviews are only from the sites that Apple has specifically decided to send review units to. Expect Engadget, The Verge, Anandtech, Re/Code.

That's fine. I just wanted to know specifications on the RAM.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Reading comprehension wtf?!

I don't know where you learned how to read, but context is a pretty important aspect of reading comprehension. Picking out a piece of a larger sentence or paragraph and claiming that *that piece* represents what the author meant is not a good way to go about things. Unless you have an agenda or bone to pick, that is.

Arstechnica usually get them too? I usually trust Anand and Ars most of all for good reviews.

T-Mobile's order tracking page has been down for three days. Not cool.

I just want to find out if I'm back ordered or not, but no one can tell me. Not a good sign.

KevinG

I think the 6 + is obscenely and stupidly large. I preordered mine as soon as I possibly could because of the superior battery.

I have pretty huge hands, so I pray the size will be a good fit. OIS, battery, and 1080p were too much to resist.

sruckus

My biggest problem is that in the summer, I sweat all over my gear. Not sure I want to risk doing that with my phone. We'll see. I have to figure these things out before the Watch ships.

Pfft I run with my 5 all the time and even take it in the sauna with me. Poor thing gets pretty hot, but it's a champ!

Apath

I don't know where you learned how to read, but context is a pretty important aspect of reading comprehension. Picking out a piece of a larger sentence or paragraph and claiming that *that piece* represents what the author meant is not a good way to go about things. Unless you have an agenda or bone to pick, that is.
You can safely say he has both given the topic and premise of this conversation..

MicH

So what case are you all getting? I never used a case on my 4S, so this will literally be the first case I use on a phone. I was looking at Apples ailicone and leather cases. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Changed my pre-order to Apple's site and ETA is 10/17 (Silver 6+ 64GB), a month sooner than AT&T's ETA of mid-late November. Not what I hoped for but I suppose the new iOS will take my attention off having to wait a few weeks for a shiny new gadget to play with.

Fox1304

Anybody ordered or received a Spigen 6+ case ? They look interchangeable but I don't understand what models have interchangeable parts exactly.
Any hints on the added bulk too ?

Corgi

Banned
Anybody ordered or received a Spigen 6+ case ? They look interchangeable but I don't understand what models have interchangeable parts exactly.

if its like their other cases. the neo hybrid style cases have a plastic metalicy band that can be swapped.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm considering leaving ATT. Are the other carriers really offering a better deal right now? It would be my wife and I sharing 6-10 gigs of data.

These ATT Next deals are really expensive.

How? You get $25 off every month, and you get a interest free loan. I don't see how it's expensive at all.

Excited that our 6's (wife's and mine) are going to be here Friday! I wanted a 6+ but honestly just don't want to wait until Oct/Nov. The 5.5 size was appealing, but if I'm honest I know that 4.7 will be enough while I'm not at home, and when I'm at home I'll be on an iPad.

rude

Banned
Just received a neo-hybrid case for my 6. Not a plus, but it comes in two parts; a metal band and the actual case. Very thin, I can't imagine it making the 6+ that much bigger.

Mononoke

Banned
Ordered the 6+, 64GB, grey, half an hour after it was available on the apple-page: Deliverey date October 10th-17th.

Fuck that!

Yeah, a lot of carriers actually had 3-4 week delays even before the pre-orders went live. Pretty much, Apple didn't have the stock for the 6 + models for launch. No where near enough to even come close to filling even half of the pre-orders. Makes me wonder why they even bothered launching the 6 + on the 19th, instead of pushing it back to Oct/Nov (and then having pre-orders done closer to release date).

Now a lot of people have had the full amount charged and locked in, and are in limbo having no idea when they will get their 6+. We had heard rumors for the longest time that the 6 + models production was behind schedule, and that it was very likely that it would get a launch later than the 6. I'm starting to think that, this was true and Apple just decided to launch it anyways, and with the few models they had, acted like the delayed production wasn't really a thing.

Killah

Quick question, I'm currently on a 2 year contract with AT&T. I want to switch to AT&T Next and get the iPhone 6, would I have to trade my current phone in to switch to AT&T Next to get the iPhone 6? Because currently I have an unlocked phone on AT&T.

Quick question, I'm currently on a 2 year contract with AT&T. I want to switch to AT&T Next and get the iPhone 6, would I have to trade my current phone in to switch to AT&T Next to get the iPhone 6? Because currently I have an unlocked phone on AT&T.

No,you don't have to trade it in.

DarkFlow

Banned

Why do you have a contract with a unlocked phone?

I was hoping this would be more of an upgrade than it is. I kept my iphone 4 this long because the new ones weren't really adding much. And neither is this really, or at least it's not adding anything special. Better this, faster that, etc... although I believe the pixel density is exactly the same despite the 4 year gap.

But my iphone 4 is dying, so I'm looking forward to having a phone that doesn't take 20 seconds to load stuff.

LCfiner

If you ahve an iphone now and aren’t impressed by the speed of a 5, 5s or 6, then I’d imagine you use your phone almost entirely as a phone and don’t use the browser or other apps much.

the upgrade from a 4 to one of these newer models is absolutely huge. LTE on the 5 was a big deal for streaming services, for example.

Every time I’ve seen my friend’s iphone 4 running, it’s roooouuuugh.

rude

Banned
I was hoping this would be more of an upgrade than it is. I kept my iphone 4 this long because the new ones weren't really adding much. And neither is this really, or at least it's not adding anything special. Better this, faster that, etc... although I believe the pixel density is exactly the same despite the 4 year gap.

But my iphone 4 is dying, so I'm looking forward to having a phone that doesn't take 20 seconds to load stuff.
I mean the cell phone industry is kind of stagnant as a whole. I don't think its really reasonable to expect rapid innovation like the leap from the original iphone to the iphone 4 anymore.

I'm on a 4S, and this thing is slow as fuck. Can't imagine what it's like to use a 4.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
What do y'all think a 32GB White 5S will sell for? Instead of trading my phone in when I get the new one on the Next 12 program through AT&T I chose to pay off the balance and sell it with the hopes of coming out ahead. I paid it off for $330, and the phone is in great condition.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I mean the cell phone industry is kind of stagnant as a whole. I don't think its really reasonable to expect rapid innovation like the leap from the original iphone to the iphone 4 anymore.

I'm on a 4S, and this thing is slow as fuck. Can't imagine what it's like to use a 4.

My 4S isn't slow as fuck. Do you have the latest firmware?

Or maybe you mean your standards have come to expect instant loading of apps, etc.

Mononoke

Banned
This. In comparison to my friends' latest androids etc loading a webpage on my 4S/doing anything really is considerably slower.

What OS do you have on it? I don't recall iPhone 4 being slow to load apps or being drastically slower than android devices that also came out during that time (granted, it is an older phone now). iPhone 4 took a major hit when iOS 7 rolled out. It has lag just on the homescreen alone.

Eiolon

Is anyone moving over from a Note to either one of the new Apples? I keep going back and forth on whether to switch from my Note 3 back to IOS. I have no problems with the Note 3, aside from it occasionally not reconnecting after losing a signal, but I do miss the synergy between apps on my Ipad and phone.

I am going from a Note 2 to iPhone 6+. I only went to the Note 2 due to Apple's unwillingness to have a larger screen at the time. Now that they do, I am headed back over because me and Android don't jive.

Wel, this thread has gone interesting places...

On a different note. Has anyone heard anything about a dock for these phones? I keep my 4S in a dock on my desk all while I work, and would love to have one for my 6 as well. But when I was checking out the other day, I didn't see a dock listed anywhere. I hope they release one shortly.

http://www.twelvesouth.com/product/hirise-iphone5-ipad-mini

These should still work fine on the new devices.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I'm in the same boat, stayed on the 4 and have been putting up with the speed issues waiting for a new iPhone. I'm hoping that while the spec bumps haven't been huge from year to year the increase going from the 4 to the 6 is going to be massive. Plus I'm interested in the additions I've missed that, while not something that would make me run out and buy a phone at the time, are hopefully going to be welcome now. TouchID might become quite useful in iOS 8 and I don't even have Siri, so that'll be interesting to try out. Plus the camera will be better too.

I'm in the same boat, stayed on the 4 and have been putting up with the speed issues waiting for a new iPhone. I'm hoping that while the spec bumps haven't been huge from year to year the increase going from the 4 to the 6 is going to be massive. Plus I'm interested in the additions I've missed that, while not something that would make me run out and buy a phone at the time, are hopefully going to be welcome now. TouchID might become quite useful in iOS 8 and I don't even have Siri, so that'll be interesting to try out. Plus the camera will be better too.

Oh my goodness....a 4 to a 6?

Night and day.

giga

paypal-e28093-we-the-people-ad.png

Oh dey scurred.

Top Bottom