• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Oh my goodness....a 4 to a 6?

Night and day.

Yeah, my girl is on a 4 and I'm on the 5 and I can barely look at her 4 without wincing a bit. I understand how people hold up on upgrading. We probably upgrade a bit too much.

But going from a 4 to a 6 is going to be amazing. I bet the 4 crowd completely run their battery out by constantly touching it the first few days. lol

Fuchsdh

So I downloaded one of those "check the size" templates at work and lined it up--the 6 is basically the exact width of my 4S inside its Otterbox, plus the extra height, so now I'm not as concerned that it's too big, although I would have preferred not to have extra heft when I invariably stick a case on it.

I mean the cell phone industry is kind of stagnant as a whole. I don't think its really reasonable to expect rapid innovation like the leap from the original iphone to the iphone 4 anymore.

I'm on a 4S, and this thing is slow as fuck. Can't imagine what it's like to use a 4.

My 4S still runs smooth? can you be more specific?

DOWN

Banned
ilife/iwork will come preinstalled on the 64gb/128gb 6 and 6+

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/15/ilife...e-installed-on-64gb-and-128gb-iphone-66-plus/

I'll be restoring from backup, so won't really matter to me.

This has been the case since the 5S/iOS7, that's not new.

Probably wouldn't have a lot of space left after all those apps were installed on a 16gb...

nope. been free, never been preinstalled.

They better be removable, and not be part of a non-uninstabable custom iOS 8.

I hope I can delete them?

They came pre-installed on the bigger iPad Air models. They were removable.

My power button just broke on my 4S, and I'm not planning on getting a 6 until my birthday next month. Ugh 8(

This assistive Touch solution is an eyesore.

My 4S still runs smooth? can you be more specific?

Same here. My 4S still runs great, although my girlfriend's is fairly slow. She has a lot more stuff on her phone though. Something close to 1000 photos and a lot of music. This has prevented her from doing any of the recent updates, while I had to delete things to make room for them. It's the main reason we're going 64GB this time out.

Ovid

T-Mobile's order tracking page has been down for three days. Not cool.

I just want to find out if I'm back ordered or not, but no one can tell me. Not a good sign.
I called them yesterday because I never received an order confirmation. They said their system has been acting up. I asked them if they could provide an estimated delivery date and they told me that they didn't have anything concrete yet.

Uh...okay.

I'm worried that I probably won't be getting it this week.

Fuchsdh

I agree with this post. The iPhone 4S still runs like a champ. Pretty surprising since it came out three years ago. Ancient in the world of smartphones.

As does mine. When iOS 7 came out and people were talking about lag I disabled all the animations and such possible, but I realized it felt a lot faster turning them back on.

OK, think I'm actually going to have to line up. Apple Canada hasn't budged with my online order. My 4S is on it's absolute last legs. Gonna be interesting...

FinKL

I called them yesterday because I never received an order confirmation. They said their system has been acting up. I asked them if they could provide an estimated delivery date and they told me that they didn't have anything concrete yet.

Uh...okay.

I'm worried that I probably won't be getting it this week.

I'm in the same boat too :( sucks. Called various t-mobile stores and the only first come first serve stock they will be getting for 6/6+ is 16gb. I'm dreading lining up at the Apple store

can sombody recommend a case and screen protector?

Can't say much about cases, I haven't seen any that appeal to me yet. (For the record, my 4S has never had a case on it.) But as far as screen protectors go, don't add one. The screen is just fine without a protector, and they usually look really bad.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Can't say much about cases, I haven't seen any that appeal to me yet. (For the record, my 4S has never had a case on it.) But as far as screen protectors go, don't add one. The screen is just fine without a protector, and they usually look really bad.

Agree.

Personally, I haven't had even a hairline scratch on my launch day 4S. I've had people dispute that... but I'm looking at it right now and yup, no scratch, not even under the light.

I did have a screen protector for the first 6 months, and it was just a grease magnet (as it covered the oleophobic coating on the screen). Once it fell off, I realized it was just so much better without one.

OK, think I'm actually going to have to line up. Apple Canada hasn't budged with my online order. My 4S is on it's absolute last legs. Gonna be interesting...

Same for me. Was gonna go through my job at RadioShack but demand was to great for the Plus model. Anybody got recommendations for what time I should show up to the apple store? It's not flagship, so I was thinking like 3am-ish?

Edit: FYI we are still taking pre-orders for the regular iPhone 6 in 16/64GB models. AT&T and Sprint (Only 16GB model here).

knitoe

If you want a screen protector, go glass. Not the cheap plastic ones. They look and feel just like the oem glass screen. I have dropped my IP5 so many times, but there are only chips and one small line fracture on the protector. The oem screen underneath is still perfect. I am definitely going to put glass protectors on the 2x 128GB 6+ I will be getting.

RC

Banned
I have a 4 as well, and if it wasn't for the $70 minimum monthly plans we have up north I would've already preordered. Now I have to save money and buy it off contract and go prepaid monthly. In the long run you end up saving around $400 versus a 2 year contract.

HUELEN10

So yeah, some of you still haven't sold your old ones right? Roomie is looking for a replacement as something came up. Anyone have a 5/5C 16GB? Apparently they're willing to spend 250 USD shipped max depending on condition due to that being the price of the earlier Best Buy deal that is sadly not in our area. If you could help me out, I'd appreciate a PM.

Bacon

So it seems like you aren't able to put the 200 dollar gift card towards the 6 in the verizon deal.

Is this a correct assessment?

What the hell am I going to do with a 200 dollar verizon gift card? Hold onto it until my next upgrade?

yami4ct

So it seems like you aren't able to put the 200 dollar gift card towards the 6 in the verizon deal.

Is this a correct assessment?

What the hell am I going to do with a 200 dollar verizon gift card? Hold onto it until my next upgrade?

Using it on your bill is what I'm planning to do with mine. Assuming that's going to be the number 1 thought.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, my girl is on a 4 and I'm on the 5 and I can barely look at her 4 without wincing a bit. I understand how people hold up on upgrading. We probably upgrade a bit too much.

But going from a 4 to a 6 is going to be amazing. I bet the 4 crowd completely run their battery out by constantly touching it the first few days. lol
The iPhone 4 was my FIRST iPhone (smart phone in general, even) and it was like a miracle in the palm of my hand.

When I got the iPhone 5, nothing about it really astonished me but I instantly noticed the speed difference with internet, texting, and other functions. I can only imagine how noticeable the leap from 4->6 would be.

I don't consider a two-year upgrade cycle to be overdoing it. 4->5->6 as my contract is renewed. Seems reasonable.

I'm excited for the 6+ but I'm really banking on the size being manageable.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I agree with this post. The iPhone 4S still runs like a champ. Pretty surprising since it came out three years ago. Ancient in the world of smartphones.
Same here. My 4S still runs just fine. The battery is another story, however. It's the biggest reason I'm upgrading. Though I am excited to get the speed difference.

MicH

Same here. My 4S still runs just fine. The battery is another story, however. It's the biggest reason I'm upgrading. Though I am excited to get the speed difference.
Same for me. I can't believe how well my 4S is running after three years! My 3GS could barely make two! (My dad is now using it, so I'm giving him my old 4S when I get my 6). Definitely the best phone I've had so far the screen is also completely scratch-free despite me not using any screen protector.

kneePat

mrkgoo

The iPhone 4 was my FIRST iPhone (smart phone in general, even) and it was like a miracle in the palm of my hand.

When I got the iPhone 5, nothing about it really astonished me but I instantly noticed the speed difference with internet, texting, and other functions. I can only imagine how noticeable the leap from 4->6 would be.

I don't consider a two-year upgrade cycle to be overdoing it. 4->5->6 as my contract is renewed. Seems reasonable.

I'm excited for the 6+ but I'm really banking on the size being manageable.

I went from an iPhone 2 (3G), to an iPhone 5. That was a huge jump, especially since a 3G running ios 4 is perhaps the slowest any iPhone ever got.

I expect my next phone to be an iPhone 7.

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't like the look compared to the v2, also it may compromise functionality provided by the 2.5D rounded edges.

It's rounded to fit the ID of the new iPhone 6's. Any case will get in the way of the curved front glass, all of them wrap around the front of the device a little.

I prefer bumpers to cases but I hate the way the plastic ones look and feel. This one looks tops notch.

yami4ct

If I sell my Verizon iPhone 5 do I wipe it and remove the sim? Or just wipe it?

If you cancel your service/activate a new one on the same number, it should be fine. I always just remove it as well just to be safe. Person getting the phone will need to get their own SIM anyway.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Same for me. I can't believe how well my 4S is running after three years! My 3GS could barely make two! (My dad is now using it, so I'm giving him my old 4S when I get my 6). Definitely the best phone I've had so far the screen is also completely scratch-free despite me bit using any screen protector.
Yep, same here. Amazing build quality. And AT&T is going to give me back the full amount I paid for it to trade it in? Talk about a great investment.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If you cancel your service/activate a new one on the same number, it should be fine. I always just remove it as well just to be safe. Person getting the phone will need to get their own SIM anyway.

Ok, cool.

I hear I can unlock it, how does that work? I'd make more right?

yami4ct

Ok, cool.

I hear I can unlock it, how does that work? I'd make more right?

IIRC (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), all Verizon iPhone 5 and later models are unlocked by default, so you don't need to do anything on that front. Other networks make you call in to unlock, at least that's the way it worked when I was on AT&T.

kneePat

It's rounded to fit the ID of the new iPhone 6's. Any case will get in the way of the curved front glass, all of them wrap around the front of the device a little.

This is true, but I think I may go with a full body armor skin this time. Not sure yet though, as I've seen nothing to great. Also bumpers usually suck, because they ruin the thinness of the device and don't offer the protection for example a shell cover could, but I guess it could be argued that shells hide your device too much. Which I also agree. Hmm.

Man, case decisions are always harder for me than the actual phone itself...

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It shipped!

well just my iPhone 6 case....
Mine shipped too, but apparently there are two packages coming for me this Thursday under the same tracking info... I'm gonna try and do a will call and see if I can get my iphone 6 and case a day early.
What case did you gentlemen order? I'm looking for something tough with a screen protector. I'd rather not pony up the $50 for an Otterbox.

Apath

is anyone getting any action from att?
Mine went from 10/2 - 10/13 to back ordered and back to 10/2 - 10/13 with preparing to ship as the status. So who the hell knows.

If I can get it before October I will be thrilled, but I'm expecting early October--which is fine by me.

Top Bottom