• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

HGStormy

Banned
Really happy to hear that both the battery life and camera are excellent! The camera was one of the best things about the GS5, so I'm glad I won't be missing out or downgrading :3

ZeroX03

Banned
Man, I'm seeing iphone 6 having some slightly higher scores.

Seems size is counting against it for a lot of reviewers. Scored lower on usability on Techradar and Endgadget has it listed as a con.

On the other hand, everyone seems very happy with the 6 Plus battery life.

BearPawB

Banned
Seems size is counting against it for a lot of reviewers. Scored lower on usability on Techradar and Endgadget has it listed as a con.

On the other hand, everyone seems very happy with the 6 Plus battery life.

I think it is what it has always been.
The phone is big. Too big for some people. But it also has some big positives in the camera/battery life.

If you can deal with a BIG phone. it still seems like a no brainer

kaskade

I think it is what it has always been.
The phone is big. Too big for some people. But it also has some big positives in the camera/battery life.

If you can deal with a BIG phone. it still seems like a no brainer

Yup. I went with the 6 and I'm happy I did. I think the plus would've been too big for me.

ZeroX03

Banned
It sounds like if you want a big screen the 6+ is godly.

Absolutely, form factor isn't a dealbreaker for me, so the 6 Plus (and improved battery life) are aces.

EDIT: The 'Reachability' feature doesn't seem too good, though from the demo that was pretty obvious.

Reviews seem so far about what I think most of us expected.

These iPhone reviews are just pure comedy so far, they don't go whatsoever technical at all.

I guess I just have to wait for Anandtech's or Ars Tech.

Corgi

Banned
6+ is getting minor dings in the scores because 3rd party apps that aren't updated for 6+ (pretty much all of them) aren't scaling as great.

kinda random, but hey, w/e.

seems like 6+ doesn't seem to have big performance hits though, so thats about the best news of the day for 6+ preorderers.

kaskade

These iPhone reviews are just pure comedy so far, they don't go whatsoever technical at all.

In their defense that's not what Apple goes for when selling it. The tech specs aren't really supposed to be a factor. They just want a smooth user experience.

knicks

Wow that white iPhone looks hot. Been going with the black forever now but damn...

First thing I thought too! Having second thoughts about the space gray :p

After watching The Verge review.. I'm starting to regret not getting the white iPhone.

Agreed. I got space gray and love that white.
KuGsj.gif

sirap

What do you expect from Verge and Engadget? They have been pretty damning in the past when a phone has software glitches and bad scaling. But with a 6 Plus? That's an 8.7 😬

ZeroX03

Banned
Taking a look at Verge's slow mo video, I'm inclined to think it's another case of 480p upscaled to 720p (for 240fps, at least). I'll be interested to see if the 120fps is now native 720fps, that'd be a huge bonus for me.

EDIT: Can we even choose between 120fps and 240fps? Tech specs seem to imply we can.

DOUBLE EDIT: I guess you tap the 240fps button to choose your framerate.

Camera-3-580-100.jpg

badb0y

6+ is getting minor dings in the scores because 3rd party apps that aren't updated for 6+ (pretty much all of them) aren't scaling as great.

kinda random, but hey, w/e.

seems like 6+ doesn't seem to have big performance hits though, so thats about the best news of the day for 6+ preorderers.

Why would iPhone 6+ with a 1080p display paired with an A8 have performance problems when Apple's iPad Air with a 2048 x 1536 resolution display with an A7 doesn't have performance problems?

HUELEN10

pretty much. don't pay attention to the fluff text, but the videos of the devices being used is good reference.
I just wish they showed off more stuff I cared about, like simultaneous Cellular/Wifi handoff of Wifi Calling that doesn't drop when you leave the Wi-fi zone; that was a huge selling point for me.

Toki767

Why would iPhone 6+ with a 1080p display paired with an A8 have performance problems when Apple's iPad Air with a 2048 x 1536 resolution display with an A7 doesn't have performance problems?

Because it's not 1080p on the 6+. It's some other resolution and being downscaled to be 1080p for the display. More work for the CPU/GPU theoretically?

Damn man... I was ready to switch back to Android this winter, but Apple still kills it with the camera and the battery life. The Camera on iPhones is like the trackpad on Mac computers... Just something that competing manufacturers never quite get right.

ZeroX03

Banned
Because it's not 1080p on the 6+. It's some other resolution and being downscaled to be 1080p for the display. More work for the CPU/GPU theoretically?

2208×1242 for the iPhone 6 Plus, which is still less pixels than the iPad's 2048×1536. Everything should be fine (sans Safari tab refresh).

Top Bottom