• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

MicH

Teally nice seeing some real-life pictures and video of these. 6+ is definitely too big for me. I'm getting the 4.7"!

giga

It's pushing over twice as many pixels on the same chip, what'd you think would happen?
No, it's the clock speed difference. It's hard to get an accurate measure when iOS is clock gating the CPU. Geekbench doesn't even measure GPU performance.

Vyer

Verge sucks at a lot of things...but they do still take some pretty pictures

xLY9xHz.jpg

U4Hxpzs.jpg

Deku Tree

iPad Air 2 is gonna have 1GB ram too. I remember all the gaffers who last year said they were gonna wait till next year for the big 2GB upgrade... Still waiting?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The 6 gets a higher review than the 6+ on Verge (different reviewers), but Nilay says the + is the model he'll be using. Cnet also said the + is the best Apple phone this year. I hope I don't regret purchasing such a mountain of a phone.

*slams gavel*

Gold iPhone 6+ it is.

Dat blonde white girl is comin home.

Seriously though, white does look nice on these videos. I've never had a white iPhone and never really wanted one. To be frank, I'm not sure if I want one now and I might change my mind once seeing them at the Apple store. But I feel like it might be time for a nice change. My only reservation about white is the white border being distracting or otherwise making the content appear obviously in a box. I generally prefer my screen to blend seamlessly into the housing.

idk. But I will be going 6+. And if it's too big, i'll just swap it out later. I have a feeling it'll be easier to swap out a 6+ for a 6 than the other way around.

Hmm, I was going to get the 6 Plus for the camera enhancement, but the one on the regular 6 seems amazing enough for me, so I think I'll go with that. Yet it's going to be so hard to choose, so I may well buy both on Friday...

Also: the spec war is generally stupid. Stupid in a directly comparing console to PC kind of way.

kneePat

RubxQub review, best review.

You can't trust geekbench to always consistently spit out the same numbers.

Look here (scroll down): http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/16/iphone-6-and-6-plus-review/

Also this little tidbit...

Engadget said:
Another interesting side effect of the size difference is how they manage thermal heat dissipation. Since it's the smaller of the two, the iPhone 6 got noticeably toastier than the Plus when playing games -- in fact, I rarely had any problem with the Plus getting warm.

giga

So from what I can see, the A8 CPU is basically just a slightly higher clocked Cyclone (from the A7), but die shrunk to 20nm. This is how we're getting these longer battery life claims. No new CPU architecture until the A9.

Really glad I got the 6 given the way the Kindle app is fuzzy on the 6+. It's one of my most-used apps.

which review said kindle app is fuzzy on 6+?

here is what engadget said:
the Plus' text and images are sharper, with no jagged lines whatsoever.
-Engaget

so it must be the app if you read it in a review vs the phone

So from what I can see, the A8 CPU is basically just a slightly higher clocked Cyclone (from the A7), but die shrunk to 20nm. This is how we're getting these longer battery life claims. No new CPU architecture until the A9.

question is if A9 will be in the S line or the new line

giga

-Engaget

S line. 2015.

jstripes

Banned

The fact that they didn't really spend much keynote time on the A8 made that obvious.

Mononoke

Banned
So uh, I can't read these sort of things. So is the 6 + substantially worse than the 6? How does it actually translate into performance? Will it be a lot of lag? Or is it difference in seconds of loading (I wouldn't mind this as much).

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So uh, I can't read these sort of things. So is the 6 + substantially worse than the 6? How does it actually translate into performance? Will it be a lot of lag? Or is it difference in seconds of loading (I wouldn't mind this as much).

No lag at all, listening to some of the video reviews.

kneePat

Mine's the same. Whole thing is fucked up. It is affecting my quality of life because it's all I think about.

This happens to me, then I remind myself its just a phone and go WTF IS WRONG WITH ME... and 5 minutes later I'm back where I started.

Yah, probably. Not sure exactly how they'd fix it though. Can devs actually target 1920 x 1080?

They won't target 1920 x 1080 for an app like Kindle, they only target 736 x 414 and use 3x scaling and then downscale to 1080p.

The iPhone 6 is 667 x 375, and for reference the iPhone 5 was 568 x 320. Both of these at 2x scaling and native displays.

Not a huge difference between them all.

wouldn't it get an update sooner or later?

Yah, probably. Not sure exactly how they'd fix it though. Can devs actually target 1920 x 1080? (that's probably a dumb question)

-Engaget

Pretty sure it was the Verge that mentioned the really fuzzy Kindle app.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
After reading and watching video reviews, I'm definitely going with the regular 6. I'll reccomend my mother the 6+ (old lady eyes, longer battery life, talk time).

iOS 8 excites me more than the actual phones.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yah, probably. Not sure exactly how they'd fix it though. Can devs actually target 1920 x 1080? (that's probably a dumb question)

Pretty sure it was the Verge that mentioned the really fuzzy Kindle app.

Nah, I think they mentioned gmail. I didn't hear them ever say Kindle.

HUELEN10

lol, I bet so many people are going to have this revelation soon.
And of course I knew it from the start, and of course I'm talking about the 6, not the Plus.

But, I have to say this about it; though I hate round things usually, this isn't ergonomically terrible for my hand. Thanks to my large man-hands, I will be able to reach the corner of the screen just BARELY, but it's still less than optimal.

To heck with the masses that support large phones, look what you've done to me! Seriously, if it wasn't for my love of iOS, I would just import one of those dumbphone nice current international Nokias.

Blastoise

Banned
If I was getting the new phones I would definitely put a case on it. Fuck that rocking back and forth. And fuck those ugly antenna lines.

The leather case on the 6 plus in the verge review looked really nice.

If I was getting the new phones I would definitely put a case on it. Fuck that rocking back and forth. And fuck those ugly antenna lines.

The leather case on the 6 plus in the verge review looked really nice.

Yeah, definitely getting a leather case for the 6+. I can't go without some sort of protection.

HUELEN10

For those still looking for a case, I must say that the Spigen Neo Hybrid seems ergonomically not terrible, well-priced, and durable; here's hoping it hits snug, but it's not a bad option if you need a case fast!
I want that 6th row of icons now please.
To heck with that, display zoom for life.

After watching the videos, I think I'll get the regular 6 then. I wanted the additional features like 2 column apps but maybe other app developers will include them for other apps. I already have an iPad so I guess I wont need 2 column email and messages... *justification*

iPhone 6 128 gb it is!

Corgi

Banned
For those still looking for a case, I must say that the Spigen Neo Hybrid seems ergonomically not terrible, well-priced, and durable; here's hoping it hits snug, but it's not a bad option if you need a case fast!
To heck with that, display zoom for life.
did you get the plastic metallic band ones, or the aluminum band one?

Bullza2o

After thinking about it carefully, today I decided to preorder the Space Gray 6+ on Apple.

Delivery date = 10/15-10/22 --I'm okay with this, but hopefully it gets bumped up.

This will be my first iPhone after only using Windows Phones (Samsung Focus -> Lumia 920 -> iPhone 6 Plus). I still love WP and I wish Microsoft takes care and improves it more, but since my iPod Touch 4G can't get iOS 7/8 I wanted to get a new iOS device.

Can't wait to experience all three ecosystems: WP 8.1, iOS 8, and soon Android L (on my Nexus 7 2013)!

Top Bottom