• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

After thinking about it carefully, today I decided to preorder the Space Gray 6+ on Apple.

Delivery date = 10/15-10/22 --I'm okay with this, but hopefully it gets bumped up.

This will be my first iPhone after only using Windows Phones (Samsung Focus -> Lumia 920 -> iPhone 6 Plus). I still love WP and I wish Microsoft takes care and improves it more, but since my iPod Touch 4G can't get iOS 7/8 I wanted to get a new iOS device.

Can't wait to experience all three ecosystems: WP 8.1, iOS 8, and soon Android L (on my Nexus 7 2013)!

Did you just order now and get those dates?

pxleyes

Banned
I feel slightly dumb for asking this, but what is the best way to increase my chance of getting a 6 on Friday. I was slow to the draw on preorders, and I would at least like like to try my luck on Friday and then order online if I'm not successful. Any advice?

Giggzy

Likelihood of going into a T-Mobile store Friday afternoon and picking up a iPhone 6 64GB without a pre-order? Are these phones looking like they'll be sold out for awhile? I can definitely wait if so, just curious on my chances.

HUELEN10

I feel slightly dumb for asking this, but what is the best way to increase my chance of getting a 6 on Friday. I was slow to the draw on preorders, and I would at least like like to try my luck on Friday and then order online if I'm not successful. Any advice?
Advice? Go to Krispy Kreme at 4 AM for your Free donut for talking like a pirate, and then wait in line at the Apple Store. That is your best chance.

Mononoke

Banned
Hmmm, well seems to me that most of 6 + scores being lower, have to do with the size + it not taking advantage of the bigger screen (ie. it's the same thing as every iphone just blown up).

I didn't really see anything suggesting that the performance was drastically worse (or even slightly worse). I've only watched the Verge and Engadget videos though.

yami4ct

Likelihood of going into a T-Mobile store Friday afternoon and picking up a iPhone 6 64GB without a pre-order? Are these phones looking like they'll be sold out for awhile? I can definitely wait if so, just curious on my chances.

Seems like there's going to be few, if any, walk-ins really available at non-apple stores. Since you're not looking for a plus, you have a shot, but I'd get there as early as possible. Maybe try to give the store a call and see if they'll even have any walk-ins available. They probably won't tell you, but worth a shot.

Man the suspense is killing me, lol.

Preordered a 6+ via ATT at about 3:15am EST when preorders started. My shipping date was originally 10/31-11/15. Then it changed to 10/15-10/21.

Now it's 10/02-10/13.

I am so confused...

To anyone that previously preordered iPhones does this sometimes happen?

Kinda wishing I had gone with the regular 6.

I ordered a 6, but reading the reviews makes it sound like the performance on the 6+ is pretty amazing. I just know that it's way too large for me through. As much as I'd like that increased battery life, the all around size is to large for a phone for me personally.

Xamdou

My Golden 128gb Iphone 6+ pre order from ATT.com is still showing Shipping Date: 11/09/14 - 11/27/14* while having a preparing to ship status...

Honestly though if they don't ship it by launch then I will have to line up to get one... really defeats the point of pre ordering in advance imo.

HUELEN10

Oh, yeah, totally forgot!

I went to a couple of Best Buys today to try to find early accessories. No dice, but in both locations they already had space and labels for what they are getting. Both locations will be getting Speck Candyshells and Incipio cases starting at 35 USD. They also have their own insignia TPU cases starting at 14 USD. I could not find any screen protectors though, so I asked. I was told that nationwide, Best Buy would ONLY carry the line of Zagg Invisible Shield screen protectors, starting at 25 USD (bad news for those that need one day one, we'll have to search mall kiosks).

Here's the thing though: Best Buy has not a SINGLE 5.5 inch case or protector coming in this friday.

So if you absolutely need a Plus, won't use Apple's case, and will get it day one, express order online now!

On another note, anyone feel like they've been in this thread forever? It's been a heck of a ride.

Mononoke

Banned
My Golden 128gb Iphone 6+ pre order from ATT.com is still showing Shipping Date: 11/09/14 - 11/27/14* while having a preparing to ship status...

Honestly though if they don't ship it by launch then I will have to line up to get one... really defeats the point of pre ordering in advance imo.

Would be surprised if stores even had the + model in store on launch. I can't imagine your shipping date is accurate. Why would it say "preparing for shipment"...and then list 2 months out. Carriers like Sprint who actually have a 3-4 week delay guaranteed, don't even have a 2 month delay.

Good luck getting one in store, I imagine that will be the hardest model to find on launch day.

Xamdou

Oh, yeah, totally forgot!

I went to a couple of Best Buys today to try to find early accessories. No dice, but in both locations they already had space and labels for what they are getting. Both locations will be getting Speck Candyshells and Incipio cases starting at 35 USD. They also have their own insignia TPU cases starting at 14 USD. I could not find any screen protectors though, so I asked. I was told that nationwide, Best Buy would ONLY carry the line of Zagg Invisible Shield screen protectors, starting at 25 USD (bad news for those that need one day one, we'll have to search mall kiosks).

Here's the thing though: Best Buy has not a SINGLE 5.5 inch case or protector coming in this friday.

So if you absolutely need a Plus, won't use Apple's case, and will get it day one, express order online now!

On another note, anyone feel like they've been in this thread forever? It's been a heck of a ride.

Make's sense since they haven't done any pre orders 6+, only the vanilla 6.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I have huge basketball hands too. It's just...why the hell do I need to carry around all that phone? My pockets will disown me. I wonder if the Apple store will be so starved on launch day that I can exchange for a regular 6.

MCasey

Ordered on Apple.com and my iPhone 6 still has a prepared shipping status. I ordered through the Apple store app right when they went up.
Should I be at all concerned?

HUELEN10

I have huge basketball hands too. It's just...why the hell do I need to carry around all that phone? My pockets will disown me. I wonder if the Apple store will be so starved on launch day that I can exchange for a regular 6.
You could make a fair deal with someone in line towards the middle of the day.

OT: Anyone planning on dressing like a pirate to get those free donuts while waiting for the iPhone? I am half-tempted...

yami4ct

Ordered on Apple.com and my iPhone 6 still has a prepared shipping status. I ordered through the Apple store app right when they went up.
Should I be at all concerned?

Apple typically uses overnight Fed-Ex to ship their phones and requests carriers hold them until delivery day. Long story short, no reason to worry about it not shipping until the day before.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
You could make a fair deal with someone in line towards the middle of the day.

OT: Anyone planning on dressing like a pirate to get those free donuts while waiting for the iPhone? I am half-tempted...
Is my phone not tied to my Verizon account at all (that's where I purchased it)? I'm actually tempted to try the phone out first, just cuz.

Xamdou

Would be surprised if stores even had the + model in store on launch. I can't imagine your shipping date is accurate. Why would it say "preparing for shipment"...and then list 2 months out. Carriers like Sprint who actually have a 3-4 week delay guaranteed, don't even have a 2 month delay.

The preparing for shipment status has been there for days, it's just that the November estimate release hasn't changed at all. Was hoping for even a slight bump in release but we will see I guess. I will give em a chance until Thursday...

Good luck getting one in store, I imagine that will be the hardest model to find on launch day.

Yea most definitely, I mean I've lined up before at Bestbuy Black Friday status but honestly the line for this Friday's launch is going to even more crazy.

HUELEN10

Is my phone not tied to my Verizon account at all (that's where I purchased it)? I'm actually tempted to try the phone out first, just cuz.
My bad, I thought you were buying a GSM carrier handset. Can't quite just put your sim from the compatible carrier and go last I checked.

Terrell

Is it too early to resurrect the annual or semi-annual wallpaper/ringtone thread? I basically have the thread at the ready by updating the last one I did a few years ago, but I haven't officially bumped it, for fear that it's too early. What do you guys think, wait for launch day or bump it now?

robotrock

Banned
Is it too early to resurrect the annual or semi-annual wallpaper/ringtone thread? I basically have the thread at the ready by updating the last one I did a few years ago, but I haven't officially bumped it, for fear that it's too early. What do you guys think, wait for launch day or bump it now?

bump it now to prepare for launch day.

HUELEN10

I would love to contribute, but only once someone posts a 1:1 screen of the lockscreen of both phones and the homescreens of both, with and without display zoom on; I wanna make some good walls! :)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thrilled to hear about how great the 6 Plus' battery life is. Was my biggest deciding factor - always wanted to know I would ALWAYS last a full day.

Diagol

Out of curiosity, for those who ordered through the Apple Store website as soon as pre-orders went up, does it still say, "Preparing for Shipment" for anyone still with the expectation that they are getting their new phone on Friday? This is for the unlocked version.

Canadian here and that's what I still have. However, my leather case that I ordered from Apple shipped today with expected delivery of Thursday. So I'm thinking the phones will be shipped out today with the expectation of delivery on Friday. But I'm still curious to know if anyone has had their status change.

Bump it now!! :)

grkazan12

I'll still try out the plus for a couple of days, but I think I'm leaning towards exchanging for the the regular 6.

If they have stock, does anyone know how easy it will be exchange the phone models? Would it just consist of me returning the 6 Plus and just purchasing the 6 ?

Top Bottom