• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Smidget

My 2 iPhone 6 orders are shipped and have tracking numbers with 9/19/14 delivery dates :)

Whew! Guess the credit card worked!

Edit: AT&T

ZeroX03

Banned
I'll know the status of my order in 25~ hours. Carriers here don't give a lot of information until the phone has already released. Ended up at a store that got no stock last time and even they didn't know why. Here's hoping there's no delay!

Blackhead

Redarse
DF review:
Gruber said:
One-handed usage has been the rallying cry for me, and other fans of smaller phones, for years. So centered on it was I that it almost wholly informed my (clearly wrong) prediction that Apple would never make an iPhone bigger than 5 inches.
Also mentions a performance issue with the 6+
Gruber said:
(There is one thing I’ve seen where animation on the iPhone 6 Plus sometimes gets jittery: the animation in Safari when you hit the Show Tabs button, and all open tabs glide into a scrollable 3D view. Sometimes, but not usually, this animation has jittered slightly on the 6 Plus. I haven’t seen the same thing on the regular 6.)
Clearly prefers the 6

noomi

Uh.... so my $460 charge from AT&T is gone from my bank account... should I be worried :(

I was guaranteed a del date of the 19th.

Pretty sure I'm going with a 128GB 6 now, but I wouldn't worry too much about stuttering on the 6 - both of last year's iPads had plenty of kinks at first. I doubt it'll be anywhere near that for the 6.

ZeroX03

Banned
DF review:

Also mentions a performance issue with the 6+

Clearly prefers the 6

He says a lot of positive things about the 6 Plus in there, but the large size clearly just isn't for him.

The scaling solution seems good. Seems like it's mostly just a few extra bugs on 6 Plus that should be fixed reasonably quickly. I realized reading through the scaling section that any video player I download is going to be upscaled at first, making any 1080p content on it useless until they update the app. Sad about that, but again it should get fixed soon.

He says a lot of positive things about the 6 Plus in there, but the large size clearly just isn't for him.

The scaling solution seems good. Seems like it's mostly just a few extra bugs on 6 Plus that should be fixed reasonably quickly. I realized reading through the scaling section that any video player I download is going to be upscaled at first, making any 1080p content on it useless until they update the app. Sad about that, but again it should get fixed soon.

There'll be some frustrating holdouts though! I remember the jump to retina and then the 4" screen.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Does anyone know if there's a way on the 6+ to organise your apps so that they appear on the screen where you want them -- i.e., closer to the bottom of the screen where the thumb can reach?

Don't think so but doesn't that model have a feature where you tap the home button (not press) to move the top of the screen's bits to the bottom so they're within reach?

Edit: This:

As presented onstage by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus also have special gesture support in iOS 8 called Reachability. Adding to the "swipe-left, swipe-right" gestures already available in iOS 7, Reachability's trick is a double-tap on the Touch ID-equipped home button, which drops the user interface down closer to the thumb.

https://vimeo.com/105692354

KevinG

So the biggest complaint about the 6 Plus is its size. Interesting because that's what it is intended to be. A reviewer with small hands complain about a 5.5 inch screen seems appropriate.

Reviewers with big hands counted size as a positive.

#purchasejustifying

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
So the biggest complaint about the 6 Plus is its size. Interesting because that's what it is intended to be. A reviewer with small hands complain about a 5.5 inch screen seems appropriate.

Reviewers with big hands counted size as a positive.

#purchasejustifying

The reviews are pretty much saying exactly what I expected:

- The 6+ is a bit unwieldy for 1-hand use
- The 6+'s screen size makes usage a joy
- The 6+'s performance is not on par with the 6

...I'm mentally ready for all of this. I think I'm going to be OK...

Deku Tree

I have not read that.

KevinG

I've only read one review about performance not being on par with the Plus.

ZeroX03

Banned
The 'performance issues' seem to be mostly bugs that'll be easily patched. As is common with new device lines & form factors. I don't think it's much to worry about.

Reviews all basically saying the same thing. You want a big phone? 6 Plus is that with a few perks. Otherwise get a 6.

Keylime

I have not read that.

I've only read one review about performance not being on par with the Plus.

It was mentioned in Gruber's review:

(There is one thing I’ve seen where animation on the iPhone 6 Plus sometimes gets jittery: the animation in Safari when you hit the Show Tabs button, and all open tabs glide into a scrollable 3D view. Sometimes, but not usually, this animation has jittered slightly on the 6 Plus. I haven’t seen the same thing on the regular 6.)

...and I believe at least one other. I'm not at all shocked by it (and others shouldn't be either). I'd say to set your expectations to: As good at best, slightly worse at worst than the iPhone 6 in terms of performance.

Not trying to imply the 6+ is dogshit or anything next to the iPhone 6, but a slightly upclocked processor pushing more than twice the pixels shouldn't have the same performance in all scenarios. In fact I think it's literally impossible that it could. Doesn't mean it's bad, it's just not as good.

Interfectum

It was mentioned in Gruber's review:

...and I believe at least one other. I'm not at all shocked by it (and others shouldn't be either). I'd say to set your expectations to: As good at best, slightly worse at worst than the iPhone 6 in terms of performance.

"Sometimes jittery" is not proof that the Plus has sub-par performance to the 6.

Blackhead

Redarse

I personally find the scaling modes on the retina Macbooks bothersome so perhaps I'm more sensitive to these displays. I'll have to check out the 6+ for myself on Friday. I'm very tempted to go with a 6+ paired with a Pebble Steel until the AppleWatch comes out (Motorola still hasn't announced the release date of the Moto360 here in Canada).

Keylime

"Sometimes jittery" is not proof that the Plus has sub-par performance to the 6.

Certainly not damning. I think I'm coming across stronger than I'm intending.

Trust me, I want the 6+ to be exactly as performant as the iPhone 6, I just literally think it's impossible.

Anyone who's built a few computers or played around with overclocking can tell you that bumping your processor by 200mhz doesn't magically let you play a game at 720p @ 60 frames to 1080p at @ 60 frames.
I personally find the scaling modes on the retina Macbooks bothersome so perhaps I'm more sensitive to these displays. I'll have to check out the 6+ for myself on Friday. I'm very tempted to go with a 6+ paired with a Pebble Steel until the AppleWatch comes out (Motorola still hasn't announced the release date of the Moto360 here in Canada).

We can be phone brothers! And Watch brothers, later! Like two peas, you and I... :D

Blackhead

Redarse

Only apple's apps have been updated for the Plus display. We don't know how third party apps will perform when they all have x3 Retina HD graphics as well...
We can be phone brothers! And Watch brothers, later! Like two peas, you and I... :D
Haha, yeah, I'll probably have to wait a month or so, until the supply isn't so constrained, to find one. Don't abandon the 6+ for the 6 before then

sirap

Certainly not damning. I think I'm coming across stronger than I'm intending.

Trust me, I want the 6+ to be exactly as performant as the iPhone 6, I just literally think it's impossible.

Anyone who's built a few computers or played around with overclocking can tell you that bumping your processor by 200mhz doesn't magically let you play a game at 720p @ 60 frames to 1080p at @ 60 frames.

Indeed, just look at the IPad Air. Apple's made some good optimizations with IOS 7 since release, but there are still occasions where the Ipad stutters or lags. It doesn't happen often, but it's there.

Deku Tree

I find that my 5S does almost everything almost instantaneously.

I remember the days of going from a 2 minute boot up sequence (and longer) to today where my rMBP boots up in less than 15 seconds.

So I find it hard to appreciate all this talk of hypothetical "performance increases"; it seems increasingly to be almost imperceptibly incrimental. (Yeah I know I don't game on Mobile, and maybe folks that do that notice the performance a lot more.)

The performance on iPhones that I have experienced in recent years is simply fantastic even on older devices. There are so many other things that I find vastly more important like Camera quality and battery life.

noomi

How could there even be a perf difference between the 6 and 6+ when both phones are specced the same?

Are they saying the 6 under performs in comparison to 6+?

LCfiner

How could there even be a perf difference between the 6 and 6+ when both phones are specced the same?

some geekbench results show 6+ A8 is clocked higher. but there's doubt that this is accurate and might be some dynamic reclocking thing.

on other end of things, 6+ has occasional animation jitters in springboard. not a benchmark thing, but visible to users.

Keylime

Just imagine you have two guys, one guy weighs 100 pounds and another guy weighs 200 pounds. Both of these guys have the exact same strength measurements. They can bench the same weight, deadlift the same weight, squat the same weight. They are equally as strong.

Now you ask both of them to perform a pull-up.

The 100 pound person is able to do more pull-ups than his equally as strong 200 pound friend, just simply because he weighs less.

This is exactly the scenario (more or less) that is going on with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+. They both are equally as strong, but the 6+ has a lot more to do to accomplish the same goal depending on the task.

The 6+ is pushing twice the pixels on screen than the 6 while also running a "desktop-class" scaler. That's what would be taking the performance down.

giga

Think I'll skip upgrading my 5 to the 6 this round. The 16gb base model isn't happening, and the next size up is $750 before tax. I can get a good condition, used 5S 32gb for $450 now. So that's the plan for me until they increase the storage on the base model.

Keylime

I got my tracking number from UPS by searching by Reference Number and punching in my phone number.

Ordered through Apple.com.

My label was made yesterday and I have next-day air ready to get me by 9/19.

Awwww yis.
Anyone else order AT&T through Apple.com and still only "preparing for shipment"?

Mine is still listed as Preparing for Shipment. Try this trick to see if you're OK.

muteki

Anyone else order AT&T through Apple.com and still only "preparing for shipment"?
Yes, and I'm honestly not expecting it to change until tomorrow.

I got my tracking number from UPS by searching by Reference Number and punching in my phone number.

Awwww yis.

Mine is still listed as Preparing for Shipment. Try this trick to see if you're OK.
This works for me too. Billing phone number, not mobile phone number.

Ragus

Banned
Would anyone be so kind and link me up with that image of iP6 and iP6P compared to iPad Mini screen? I would like to check it on my iPad.

Called AT&T yesterday it see what models they'd have for walk ins. Guy told me that they weren't sure but they expect to have some amount of each. Not encouraged.

Awwww yis.

Thanks! Looks like the shipping label is created. Is that where yours is at now?

Keylime

Thanks! Looks like the shipping label is created. Is that where yours is at now?

Yep yep. We should be all good to go.

If things don't look different tomorrow later in the day, we can initiate full blown panic mode.

noomi

Just imagine you have two guys, one guy weighs 100 pounds and another guy weighs 200 pounds. Both of these guys have the exact same strength measurements. They can bench the same weight, deadlift the same weight, squat the same weight. They are equally as strong.

Now you ask both of them to perform a pull-up.

The 100 pound person is able to do more pull-ups than his equally as strong 200 pound friend, just simply because he weighs less.

This is exactly the scenario (more or less) that is going on with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+. They both are equally as strong, but the 6+ has a lot more to do to accomplish the same goal depending on the task.

What a great analogy! This makes sense, makes me feel a bit better about going with the 6 over 6+. Either way, I'm sure both phones will be great :)

the performance of 6+ is still on par if not better than 5S. if 5% less than 6 is not being on par then we go into semantics

HUELEN10

the performance of 6+ is still on par if not better than 5S. if 5% less than 6 is not being on par then we go into semantics
5 percent is sizable, specially when considering the cost.

It's painfully obvious; if you have a 5S, getting this phone, ESPECIALLY the larger variant, is a complete waste of money.

Keylime

I'm really not overly worried about it. The main thing I was looking for in the reviews was that nothing obviously was falling on it's face with the 6+ compared to the 6, which holds up at least so far.

I do expect Anandtech's review to give me a better understanding of the true impact of all of this, but until them, from a layman's perspective, it seems like all is well.

It's painfully obvious; if you have a 5S, getting this phone, ESPECIALLY the larger variant, is a complete waste of money.

Well, that is if you don't want a larger screen, a thinner phone, a better camera, larger capacity, larger battery or Apple Pay!

a quote on OIS in the 6 Plus from one of the reviews

The results are great, no matter which you shoot with. I was consistently blown away with the low-light performance of both models. Technically speaking the OIS “gives you back” around 3 stops of light, letting you shoot at slower shutter speeds with decent quality. That’s great, but is applicable to a small slice of your overall shooting. Still subjects while you’re also relatively still at night or at dusk. It won’t help you with moving subjects at all, something that Apple has tried to fix by combining long and short exposures (a new trick) together to create a sharper image. That works on both models.

Mononoke

Banned

I don't agree. It depends on what you are getting the phone for. If you think the 5s or any phone before it was too small, and the 6 isn't big enough, then the + is a huge deal for someone that wants a bigger screen. Plus, the 6 and 6 + have different builds (IMO I prefer the slimmer/curved physical build to the squared/tapered off of 4 and 5. I think 4 and 5 looked better, but I mean in terms of ergonomics).

The display is also better on the 6 + then 5s, and has a much better battery. So I would say, it seems like a very good media device compared to 5s. If the 5s already felt instant for some folks, I don't think 5% really is that massive of a deal (personally). Now, if the phone lagged and was crashing (and this was a constant problem), then yeah that would be unacceptable.

I just don't agree that it's painfully obvious that it's a complete waste of money if you have the 5s. Depends on your needs, and what you are getting a bigger phone for. I can agree though that in the larger scheme of things, the 6 and + are a disappointment in terms of spec upgrades to 5s. Folks that don't need an upgrade should probably hold off until a better revision is done.

EDIT:

I can agree with this though:

Nah, I'm serious. IMO, if you have a 5S, you should plop down the 650+ USD on next year's phone (S to S) as opposed to getting this one; it will end up being a better value.

Keylime

the performance being better than 5S which is still a better performing phone than 90% phones on the market is a plus. with the size benefit going to 6 plus and the mobility factor going with 6q

Top Bottom