• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Fuchsdh

I don't know what to think anymore.

- 6 is so thin that the camera sticks out. WHY!?
- 6 has same RAM as 5s. WHY!?
- 6 + has exact same specs but has to push bigger screen so therefore it performs worst. WHY!?!

They could have killed it. Kept the thickness the same as the 5S so the camera doesn't stick out. Upped the RAM. Bigger battery because the chasis is not as thin. Modified 6+ to perform slightly better to make up the bigger screen resolution.

This company is so fucking cheap. What the hell!?

You can make the argument then that the use of the device would be worse. Part of the reason that I've seen some people saying that the 4.7" and 5.5" don't feel huge is because they are much thinner and rounded, hence much easier to hold in your hand than if you'd just scaled the Leica-style 4-5S models to the same sizes.

I ordered my gold iPhone 6 64GB directly from T-Mobile, and shipping is a complete guessing game with them. Because my current phone is on their prepaid plan, they didn't link the preorder to my account, so I don't get any estimated shipping dates. Best I can do is look up my current status, which is "We received your electronic signature authorization on 09/13/2014"

I *might* be getting it on Friday, because this morning they charged me my $400 deposit...a second time. Now I wish I had ordered it for in-store pickup, but stupidly T-Mobile doesn't let you change a thing the moment you make the order - you can't even cancel the order, until you receive the device.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Anyone else remember the first time they held an iPhone 4? It was like holding your first born. Its build quality was mind blowing compared to the 3GS.

Holding the iPhone 5 for the first time felt pretty damn good too. Now I can't wait for Friday.
Yeah. Iphone 4 was when Apple became Rolex of smartphones. It's when I realized their phones will no longer be judged just on tech specs and OS, but practically as if they're a piece of jewelry. 5 just reinforced that, and it's why I think it sucks they have plastic stripes on 6. Other design elements of 6, especially its continuous surface more than make up for it though.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
My iPhone history: 4 > 6. Held off on an iPhone until the retina display as I had an OG iPod Touch that was suiting me well for music etc. Moving onto the 4 was amazing, hoping moving to the 6 will be just as huge.

the iPhone 6 Plus screenshot is in its Native resolution of 2208x1242 intead of screen resolution of 1080p

also it seems the purple fringing issues on previous iPhone Cameras is gone.

2eZI7zo.jpg

Fuchsdh

Yeah. Iphone 4 was when Apple became Rolex of smartphones. It's when I realized their phones will no longer be judged just on tech specs and OS, but practically as if they're a piece of jewelry. 5 just reinforced that, and it's why I think it sucks they have plastic stripes on 6. Other design elements of 6, especially its continuous surface more than make up for it though.

The stripes seem a bit noticeable in terms of being there for function rather than design (meanwhile who realized what the little cuts in the metal frame of the 4-5 series were?) But they only look *bad* to my eyes on the gold due to the contrast. The grey and white have much less differentiation and thus it's not that noticeable to me.

I had been considering getting the gold just to change it up for me, but seeing that I think I'm going to stick with white again.

HGStormy

Banned
I was going to order my 6 through T-Mobile, but they wouldn't let me order one without getting a new plan, and if I logged in it said my plan can't upgrade blah blah blah.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Why the hate? What changed?

Pure curiosity on part caused things to change. I bought a Macbook Pro to figure out what the hell all the Apple hype was about.

Macbook Pro came with free iPod Touch (was using a Zune prior to this) which then made me want to just get an iPhone to replace the iPod Touch...which led to a rabbit-hole of Apple products.

I hated them because I considered myself to be a tech guy and the performance to cost ratios all seemed like total dogshit. It's the same stuff you see people spew in every Apple thread today. I was that guy. "The specs are super weak, and it costs $500 more...you're an idiot".

It wasn't until I tried everything that I got it, and the premium price point was something I could afford so I made the switch.

Now the business model of Apple vs. that of Google is insanely attractive and makes me love them even more.

bodine1231

Decided to ditch my Note 3 for a 64gb regular iphone 6.

While the size of the Note isn't a problem by any means for usability/productivity, I find that it physically gets in the way more than I benefit from the larger screen size. What annoyed me the most is when I'm working out or doing something physical it gets in the way,especially if I'm wearing loose fitting shorts. If I need to take it out of my pocket quickly to change songs or answer a call it would get hung up on the lip of my pocket. And since the iphone 6+ is the same size as the Note 3 I didn't see any point in paying more money for the same problems.

I don't really play that many games anymore or watch movies,just the occasional Youtube video,so the smaller screen won't bother me in regular use.Dropping down will be painful at first but like anything I'll get used to it.

I ordered my gold iPhone 6 64GB directly from T-Mobile, and shipping is a complete guessing game with them. Because my current phone is on their prepaid plan, they didn't link the preorder to my account, so I don't get any estimated shipping dates. Best I can do is look up my current status, which is "We received your electronic signature authorization on 09/13/2014"

I *might* be getting it on Friday, because this morning they charged me my $400 deposit...a second time. Now I wish I had ordered it for in-store pickup, but stupidly T-Mobile doesn't let you change a thing the moment you make the order - you can't even cancel the order, until you receive the device.

I did the same thing, and also didn't get an estimated ship date. However when I first got to the screen it said the arrival date was 9-25 but that was with regular 5-7 day shipping. I paid for overnight so the I should get it the 19th so we'll see. I was going to wait and go to the store Friday and get one there but I didn't want to take the risk if the website said I'll get it Friday/Saturday.

Anyone in London lining up at retail store in Westfield Shepherd's Bush? What would be the go there...? Just turn up before Westfield opens on Friday?

I didn't preorder.

muu

You can make the argument then that the use of the device would be worse. Part of the reason that I've seen some people saying that the 4.7" and 5.5" don't feel huge is because they are much thinner and rounded, hence much easier to hold in your hand than if you'd just scaled the Leica-style 4-5S models to the same sizes.

The question I had with this was, what happens when I install a case on it? At the minimum I'm gonna have bumpers installed so that a drop to flat surfaces don't affect the phone, and it'll certainly affect its grip.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Why the hate? What changed?

for everything iPhone did right, the two reasons I went with AT&T Tilt (HTC) came down to:

price : memory ratio
lack of 3G
lack of apps

iphone was clearly the future.. but OG at the same time was clearly 1.0 of that future.

by the time iPhone 3G hit, it went from "whoa that's pretty cool" to "you would be insane to buy any other smartphone"

3G
App Store
minimum 8GB for $199 on contract
GPS with built in Google Maps
etc

Just went to sprint to upgrade my 4s which i had for 2 years now and went with the 16gb 6+ Since i'm already eligible for an upgrade with our famplan.. Says they will be calling me back 4-6 weeks from now when it comes to them so i can pick it up ... They said at first they don't really know the timeframe and etc .... So hopefully by 4 weeks i can get it :(

Anyone in London lining up at retail store in Westfield Shepherd's Bush? What would be the go there...? Just turn up before Westfield opens on Friday?

I didn't preorder.

I might try and go along to the Covent Garden store. Probably going to miss out due to queue of people waiting overnight or whatever but it's only 10 mins from work so I'll chance it.

Apath

Apparantly people who ordered their 6+ through AT&T after mine went through have gotten confirmation that their phones have shipped.

I don't mind getting my phone after release, but man, people who ordered after me getting theirs first is bullshit.

Anyone else remember the first time they held an iPhone 4? It was like holding your first born. Its build quality was mind blowing compared to the 3GS.

Holding the iPhone 5 for the first time felt pretty damn good too. Now I can't wait for Friday.

Still the most superior model (aesthetics wise) in my opinion. I would have loved the current shape/size of the iPhone 6 with the iPhone 4 material.

MicH

Still the most superior model (aesthetics wise) in my opinion. I would have loved the current shape/size of the iPhone 6 with the iPhone 4 material.
I agree it's a gorgeous phone. Personally, I prefer the 5 and 5s. I'm not a huge fan of the glass on the back of the 4, but everything else about the phone is fantastic

It probably depends on what phone you'll be replacing. I currently have an iphone 4, so I'm very excited to get my hands on the iphone 6 plus.

In that case you should be very excited. Going from the 4 to the 6 is going to be a huge upgrade. I'm going from a 5 to a 6.

I definitely did not have an upgrade itch this time. The iphone4 tradein offer pushed me over the edge (gf is working w/ an aging freebie iphone4), but I'm still considering just upgrading to a 5S instead -- I prefer the screen size, and iOS NFC is still too much in its infancy to really make a huge difference.

If you're gonna get a new one I'd tell you to just get the 6.

I know that feeling you're talking about. The 4 and 5 were incredibly designs for their time. Just looking at pics of the 6 I don't get quite the same impression. It looks OK, but nothing about it strikes me as incredible.

Bgamer90

Banned
Apparantly people who ordered their 6+ through AT&T after mine went through have gotten confirmation that their phones have shipped.

I don't mind getting my phone after release, but man, people who ordered after me getting theirs first is bullshit.

Same here. Know a few people who got theirs at 4:00 AM EST that got a shipping confirmation.

I got mines at 3:30 AM EST; still nothing. Just a shipping range (first week of October). Could it be due to me getting the 128 GB?

Just strange overall. Will remember to pre-order my phone via Apple next time.

They told me they put the full charge on my card to verify I have a valid account with enough funds. They say the charge was removed because they don't have a phone to send me at this time but will send one as soon as they get one for me. They say the preparing to ship status means the account is ready and waiting on a phone to ship

Gonna be a long wait till October for me :(

Varion

I've said it before in this thread, but it probably is worth repeating. When I ordered my iPhone 4S, I never received a tracking number from Apple at all, and the status never updated beyond "Preparing to Ship" and yet it still arrived on launch day just fine.

Don't worry guys, Apple knows what they're doing, and you'll have your phone on Friday.
That's reassuring then. I could live if it took a few extra days either way, just really looking forward to playing around with it considering it's going to be my first smartphone, replacing a third gen ipod touch (i.e. before the high-res screens). Going from that to a 6 plus is going to be a gigantic jump.

Corgi

Banned

That good news anyhow. That means you and I will probably get the phone soon vs October.

Come on confirmation!

Mononoke

Banned
Nilay Patel has lost control over his Verge staff over iPhone 6

So a writer posted this article about the iPhone 6

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/17/6334173/iphone-6-plus-review-erotic-poetry

titled:

Read erotic poetry constructed exclusively from iPhone 6 reviews

the first reply:

L1v5lAf.png

Uh wat. If he has control over the site, why not just pull it down and fire the employee? Seems bizarre for an employee to write something against another writer, and then have the editor reply in the comments to it. Are these people professionals are what.

Deku Tree

I got an email with a tracking number from ATT with a 9/19 delivery date for my wifes iPhone 6 ordered at 4am on Sept. 12.

My 6+ ordered at the same time still only has an estimated shipping date of 10/2 - 1013...

Interfectum

When did you order yours and when did they order theirs?

Mononoke

Banned
I'm sorry Azula I still <3 you but it was too perfect to not use!

I'm not against them doing it, to be clear. I think it's really funny! I guess I'm just confused by what happened. I guess I took it too seriously?

EDIT: oops, guess I did. I took the GAF post literally, that members on the staff were disagreeing with each other and sniping one another in public. It went over my head that the editor in chief was in on the joke. My bad. Guess I'm an airhead.

tumblr_m8iv15vth11qhkw3co1_500.gif

Gonna be a long wait till October for me :(
I cancelled my preorder from AT&T because I have a preorder at best buy as well. apparently my ship dates from AT&T were the last actual dates you could have a slot for. The only other slot past the 11/9 - 11/27 I had was the dreaded "back order" slot

Possibly a weird question but I have to imagine this has come up during past iPhone launches. I currently have a preorder through Apple scheduled to deliver between October 1st and 6th (so much for being up at 3AM and refreshing thousands of times on 3 devices for three hours, but I digress). I work "on top" of a gigantic Apple Store that will presumably have a lot of stock on Friday. I plan to scope out the situation and if it isn't too much of a zoo (which it will be but I'm being a little positive) I'll try to buy a phone. What does that mean for my subsidy? Or my plan? Can I have Apple cancel my order before I buy my phone in store? Will I only see the full price? Will I lose my grandfathered unlimited plan?! Surely others have done this in the past and have experience; ideally I'd like to just buy the phone, get back to a computer, cancel my online order and be done with it, but knowing the back-end at AT&T (and Apple to a lesser extent) I'm not sure it'll all go according to keikaku. Experiences?

SeanR1221

3G > 3GS > 4 > 4S > 5 > 5S > 6+

I hated Apple still when the OG iPhone was released. Like straight up loathed.

For me it went

iPhone > 3GS > 4 > 5 > 6

Also... iPad > iPad 3 > iPad mini + iPad air

And iBook 2005 > Macbook 2008 > MacBook air 2010 > MacBook pro 2012 + iMac 2007

Dsyndrome

Order from AT&T changed from 10/15-10/30 yesterday to In Progress status this morning, indicating it's f'ing shipping. Stoked that I don't have to wait until October for the phone!

Toki767

Uh wat. If he has control over the site, why not just pull it down and fire the employee? Seems bizarre for an employee to write something against another writer, and then have the editor reply in the comments to it. Are these people professionals are what.

Written by Chris Plante, Co-Founder of Polygon.

Zeth

One of my family members used another lines upgrade. Can it be activated on the proper line when it arrives? Does it come with a new sim?

Trying to figure out if a AT&T visit is necessary before Friday. It's an upgrade from a 4, so if the sim isn't included I guess it's necessary anyway.

Top Bottom