• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Future

I don't have much experience with locked or unlocked phones. But if I bought a 6 plus, as an owner of the 5. And I wanted to still use the 5 occasionally when I needed to use a smaller phone. Could I switch SIM cards and use the 5 still? Since I'm the same owner and with the same phone company (with a new 2 year contract on the 6 plus)

muteki

I feel like I am lucky in that I am coming from a 5 and don't have this huge upgrade dilemma. Really I would just be happy to have a phone that doesn't shut down when battery reaches 30%.

I think the apple development cycle works best for two year contract people. That way you are always upgrading from n to n+1 or nS to nS+1. No way I could justify upgrading from one years model to the next on features alone, not taking money into consideration.

Edit: looks like my case I ordered from amazon will get here today. By tonight I will know how screwed I am going with the plus.

Mononoke

Banned
So is anyone with Sprint getting a 6+ on day one? Seems like it's not coming for 3-6 weeks depending on when you ordered : /

Sounds to me like this is the case for the majority of 6 + orders through Sprint. Sprint reps said that Apple didn't even give them supply to fill 6 + orders even before pre-orders went live..

I think if anyone does get a 6 + from Sprint on Day One, it will be a very slim number. What sucks is, Apple Stores will have Sprint models at their stores. So if you were lucky to get through the app that was crashing, then you can pick up your Sprint model at an Apple Store on the 19th. But Sprint the carrier weren't given any supply at all.

At least, that is my understanding of the situation.

Servbot24

Banned
I ordered a regular 6 several hours late and Sprint told me I'd still be getting it on 9/19 (though my order hasn't processed yet..). Pretty major supply differences.

Mononoke

Banned
I ordered a regular 6 several hours late and Sprint told me I'd still be getting it on 9/19 (though my order hasn't processed yet..). Pretty major supply differences.

Yeah, Sprint really got screwed on the supply side of things. It's a fuckin mess. But to be clear, if you got the regular 6..you are probably good to get it on Friday. Sprint is actually AWFUL at supplying tracking #s. They will sometimes give you a tracking # the day your package is out for delivery. Even if you don't get it on the 19th, I would expect it by the following Monday.

So you should be good. It's the 6 + models that are really fucked through Sprint. Everyone is in limbo. They've charged people the full amount, and people are stuck in limbo with no idea when they are getting their phone. Could be 3-4 weeks, maybe even 6 weeks.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Anyone find or looking for a textured skin for the iPhone 6+?

I'm thinking I'm more than likely going to want to add a bit of grip to the back of this thing without adding any more heft, and I did the same thing with my iPad back in the day (it was a Spigen carbon-fiber looking skin added just to the back) and I'm fairly sure I want to do this with the 6+.

Can't find anything right now, everything is just cases.

Like this.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The always upgrading master race reporting in!

Original iphone -> 3GS ->4S -> 5 -> 5S - 6 Plus

.... It is a total waste of money, though. But it makes me happy and I like to have the newest phone I can. It's a splurge; but that's why we work...

HUELEN10

Hey guys...

After a year, after no more constraint problems and whatnot, which variant do you think will end up selling more? I'm hoping for 4.7, but with this seeming 5.5 demand, I'm not sure.

.... It is a total waste of money, though. But it makes me happy and I like to have the newest phone I can. It's a splurge; but that's why we work...

I know how ya feel.

3GS>4>4s>5>5s>6+.

It's just a nice little gift to yourself every year.

Mononoke

Banned
Hey guys...

After a year, after no more constraint problems and whatnot, which variant do you think will end up selling more? I'm hoping for 4.7, but with this seeming 5.5 demand, I'm not sure.

I think 4.7. I think the "demand" for 5.5 is high, but it seems higher because Apple didn't really have the product when they launched it. I truly believe that Apple launched the 6 + with not even having anywhere close enough stock to even cover 60% of the orders. I would not be surprised at all if that was the case. I read some analyst piece, that suggested launching the 6 + early had to do with something about their stock holder bs or something.

Is anyone else not that excited about getting their new phone on Friday? It's almost like I'm doing it purely out of habit after 2 years now. It's not that the 6 isn't what I want out of a phone, it's just that phones have gotten so good now it's kind of anticlimactic getting a new one at this point.

I'm sure I'll be happy having a bigger screen, better camera, and fingerprint unlock, but still.

I don't know what to think anymore.

- 6 is so thin that the camera sticks out. WHY!?
- 6 has same RAM as 5s. WHY!?
- 6 + has exact same specs but has to push bigger screen so therefore it performs worst. WHY!?!

They could have killed it. Kept the thickness the same as the 5S so the camera doesn't stick out. Upped the RAM. Bigger battery because the chasis is not as thin. Modified 6+ to perform slightly better to make up the bigger screen resolution.

This company is so fucking cheap. What the hell!?

muteki

Hey guys...

I do not think that the preorder on day 1 crowd accurately represents what people a year from now will be buying.

But maybe in 2015 we will have 7 inch phones and the 6+ will be small.

kharma45

- 6 + has exact same specs but has to push bigger screen so therefore it performs worst. WHY!?!

They could have killed it. Kept the thickness the same as the 5S so the camera doesn't stick out. Upped the RAM. Bigger battery because the chasis is not as thin. Modified 6+ to perform slightly better to make up the bigger screen resolution.

I've seen review comments saying that this is down to the software and will be fixed. The iPad Air is a higher resolution with an older SoC and apparently copes fine.

- Camera tech is behind Apple tech.
- Ram is a concern but iPad Air at a much higher resolution performs fine.
- CPU and GPU in 6+ is faster than iPad Air while having a lower resolution, it will perform better than 5S and Air.

I've said it before in this thread, but it probably is worth repeating. When I ordered my iPhone 4S, I never received a tracking number from Apple at all, and the status never updated beyond "Preparing to Ship" and yet it still arrived on launch day just fine.

Don't worry guys, Apple knows what they're doing, and you'll have your phone on Friday.

the iPhone 6 Plus is faster than 6 in some cases, slower in others

fha3jrS.png

Iphone 6 is better at CPU intensive testing and iPhone 6 Plus is better at GPU intensive testing.

Is anyone else not that excited about getting their new phone on Friday? It's almost like I'm doing it purely out of habit after 2 years now. It's not that the 6 isn't what I want out of a phone, it's just that phones have gotten so good now it's kind of anticlimactic getting a new one at this point.

I'm sure I'll be happy having a bigger screen, better camera, and fingerprint unlock, but still.

It probably depends on what phone you'll be replacing. I currently have an iphone 4, so I'm very excited to get my hands on the iphone 6 plus.

I've said it before in this thread, but it probably is worth repeating. When I ordered my iPhone 4S, I never received a tracking number from Apple at all, and the status never updated beyond "Preparing to Ship" and yet it still arrived on launch day just fine.

Don't worry guys, Apple knows what they're doing, and you'll have your phone on Friday.

Thanks for the heads up. Gives me hope that I'll have mine for the weekend!

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah, but not the 6 + models. :p

Only applies if your ship date is this Friday right?

dallow_bg

nods at old men

They're just upgrades for me now.
Don't even need them day 1 anymore like my nerdy self used to feel.

From a monetary sense, you can ~essentially get an iPhone for free every two years because of the resell value of the old phones. Clearly, folks with a 5S will have to pay (unless they do the AT&T Next style plans, which are crazy), but if you have an iPhone 5 or below, I think it's a no brainer to upgrade now assuming you want to stay in the Iphone ecosystem.

The S releases, while nice, have hardly made it a "no-brainer" to only upgrade on the S cycle. The iPhone 5 in particular has been everything I needed the past 2 years and it seemed a much smaller leap to go from the 4S -> 5S than, say the iPhone 5 -> 6 (or 6 Plus).

Deku Tree

From a monetary sense, you can ~essentially get an iPhone for free every two years because of the resell value of the old phones. Clearly, folks with a 5S will have to pay (unless they do the AT&T Next style plans, which are crazy), but if you have an iPhone 5 or below, I think it's a no brainer to upgrade now assuming you want to stay in the Iphone ecosystem.

The S releases, while nice, have hardly made it a "no-brainer" to only upgrade on the S cycle. The iPhone 5 in particular has been everything I needed the past 2 years and it seemed a much smaller leap to go from the 4S -> 5S than, say the iPhone 5 -> 6 (or 6 Plus).

ATT Next plans are fantastic. My bill went down and I can upgrade every year if I want after only paying for 12/20 of the phone (and giving it back to them). The remaining 8/20 is close enough IMO to what I would be able to sell it for anyway...

nikos

I've had every single iPhone on launch day since the first. I don't see it as a waste of money. I sell the previous year's model upon getting the new one and usually end up making a few bucks out of it.

I use my iPhone more than any other device, so even if I didn't make money or break even on each one, it would still be worth it.

EDIT: Should mention that I have a family plan with multiple lines that I use to get subsidized prices every year.

Xamdou

Does anyone have a link to Apple's launch day Iphone 6 line details?

Going to have to line up as I no longer have a Att Iphone 6+ charge on my cc as of today and my estimated shipping delivery is still November with no changes thus far.

Ninja Dom

Here we go with my history.

Original iPhone -> 3G -> 3GS -> 4 -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S -> 6

My favourite 3!!

Original: It was the iPhone that started it all and it truly blew my mind back in 2007. Absolutely amazing technology back then.

3GS: I got this baby with 32GB and this was the first iPhone that recorded Video. The App Store was nurturing and I started gaming properly on this.

5S: The best iPhone yet. 4G/LTE makes browsing and apps lightning fast.Probably done 100GB on this phone including Hotspot. Space Grey is also beautiful to look at and hold.

My worst!

3G: Wow, this phone got slow very quickly! Plus I was into the jailbreak/unlocking and this was around the time of yellowsn0w and the unlock just wasn't reliable and I lost reception a lot.

5: Lovely unit but two big flaws, one was the absolute terrible 3G reception on Vodafone UK (I've since moved to O2) and the black colour coming off the handset. But awful network reception ruined this phone for me. Great phone really.

I'm going to be spending a lot of money(buying a 64gb unlocked) but these things have high resale value right? So u can easily sale it when the 6s comes out. What are the resale value on iPhones usually like?

Cynar

Hey guys...

It'll be 4.7 overall. The galaxy note phones sell great but more s5 or s4 phones get sold than note purely due to people wanting the smaller phone.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
3G > 3GS > 4 > 4S > 5 > 5S > 6+

I hated Apple still when the OG iPhone was released. Like straight up loathed.

3G > 4 > 5 > 6+

I have always purchased when the new iPhone came out and never when the S variant came out. Always purchased at the end of the 2 year contract.

Best Phone:

iPhone 4: Fast and blew my mind in terms of its response and design.

Worst Phone:

iPhone 5: battery life is atrocious and overheating when using and in summer.

muu

I definitely did not have an upgrade itch this time. The iphone4 tradein offer pushed me over the edge (gf is working w/ an aging freebie iphone4), but I'm still considering just upgrading to a 5S instead -- I prefer the screen size, and iOS NFC is still too much in its infancy to really make a huge difference.

Nothing for me. They charged my card the full amount for the phone the day after I preordered. Now the money is back in my account. Not sure why...
They told me they put the full charge on my card to verify I have a valid account with enough funds. They say the charge was removed because they don't have a phone to send me at this time but will send one as soon as they get one for me. They say the preparing to ship status means the account is ready and waiting on a phone to ship

nikos

Anyone else remember the first time they held an iPhone 4? It was like holding your first born. Its build quality was mind blowing compared to the 3GS.

Holding the iPhone 5 for the first time felt pretty damn good too. Now I can't wait for Friday.

Top Bottom