• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Order from AT&T changed from 10/15-10/30 yesterday to In Progress status this morning, indicating it's f'ing shipping. Stoked that I don't have to wait until October for the phone!
Mine changed from 10/4 - 10/12, 11/9 - 11/27, back ordered, processing, preparing to ship, 11/9 - 11/27 pending back to preparing to ship 11/9 - 11/27

Prozel

I've only had the iPhone 5 adn it's been amazing. The battery can be horrible though. As stated earlier I consider the Plus so I can read comics and enjoy that battery life!

nikos

One of my family members used another lines upgrade. Can it be activated on the proper line when it arrives? Does it come with a new sim?

Trying to figure out if a AT&T visit is necessary before Friday. It's an upgrade from a 4, so if the sim isn't included I guess it's necessary anyway.

You're going to have to pick up a SIM card for it because the SIM card in the iPhone 6 will be tied to the line you upgraded.

You'll also need to contact AT&T with the IMEI of the iPhone 6 so that it can be activated on your line.

EDIT: You might be able to use the SIM card it comes with if you contact AT&T before activating it. This will also avoid interrupting the line you used to upgrade.

One of my family members used another lines upgrade. Can it be activated on the proper line when it arrives? Does it come with a new sim?

My father-in-law does this shit every year. He has four lines on his family plan and has the upgrades staggered so that he can get a "new" phone every year, but he's cheap so he is always one to two years behind in iPhone models.

Zeth

My smartphone history:

Original iPhone day one (that giftcard rebate lol)
3G
3GS
Galaxy S1 somewhere in here

You're going to have to pick up a SIM card for it because the SIM card in the iPhone 6 will be tied to the line you upgraded.

You'll also need to contact AT&T with the IMEI of the iPhone 6 so that it can be activated on your line.

Thanks for the heads up! Sure it'll be a nightmare contacting them :(

nikos

My smartphone history:

Original iPhone day one (that giftcard rebate lol)
3G
3GS
Galaxy S1 somewhere in here

Thanks for the heads up! Sure it'll be a nightmare contacting them :(

I'll be on the same boat. Used one of the lines on my family plan to upgrade, so I'll need to contact them with the IMEI number to have it activated on my line. It hasn't been too bad in the past, but this is the most pre-ordered iPhone in history so hopefully it won't be terrible. I'll be happy just holding the phone until it works.

hitsugi

Impressive! But what kind of camera are they using? Something from this year or 4 years ago?

It's at least 2 years old, as he noted he was comparing it to video shot a couple of years ago. While the iPhone's results are impressive regardless, most cheap P&S cameras would have shot horrible video through that ride.

I think my history goes:

1. Helio Ocean (if we can call that a smart phone)
2. iPhone 3g
3. iPhone 4
4. iPhone 5
5. Nexus 4
6. Nexus 5
7. iPhone 6 / Nexus 6 / Xperia Z3 - undecided. Leaning toward the iPhone 6 at the moment, though.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
iOS 8 available for download. 5.7GB of free space needed to do it OTA.

Keylime

Over 5gb of required space? Wut?

Actual update file is 1.1GB compressed. Just doing things OTA needs way more space than it actually takes up.

Ninja Dom

Just checked my order from Apple UK.

I've moved from "Processing" to "Preparing for Dispatch".

Delivery Date is still 29 Sep - 2 Oct though.

HGStormy

Banned
My history goes, in the span of 3 years, with varying degrees of usage..
Dell Streak 5 > Galaxy Nexus > Nexus 4 > Nexus 5 > Galaxy S5
Also owned a HTC Rezound, a Lumia 900 and a LG G2x for a little while.
My order still says "processing" sigh

I'm getting 957 MB required. How is everyone getting such different numbers?

edit: Oh wait nvm. Need 4.6gb. WTF Apple

Probably differs on your device and model number?

I'm getting 1.1GB on a 64GB iPhone 5S on Verizon.

Yeah I see it now. Update says 957 MB but says I need 4.6 GB of space to install.

Keylime

Probably differs on your device and model number?

I'm getting 1.1GB on a 64GB iPhone 5S on Verizon.

Schlep

I've gone T-Mobile Dash-> iPhone 3G -> HTC Evo 4G -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S4.

I'll be adding a '-> Galaxy Note 4' onto that in a few weeks. Was really intrigued by the 6+. I'm not sure I ever would've pulled the trigger on it, but the slipperiness and 1GB RAM killed my interest. I went through that Safari reloading crap with the OG iPad and can't do it again.

Very curious to see what the ratio of 6 to 6+ will be out in public the next few weeks.

Mononoke

Banned
My history goes, in the span of 3 years, with varying degrees of usage..
Dell Streak 5 > Galaxy Nexus > Nexus 4 > Nexus 5 > Galaxy S5
Also owned a HTC Rezound, a Lumia 900 and a LG G2x for a little while.
My order still says "processing" sigh

Are we doing our full history of phones? Damn. WELL I don't even remember the exact order, I've been through a lot of phones. Some of them seem like overlap, but it's because I took advantage of using the phone for a month and returning it (my carrier gave me a month to return it).

My very first smartphone was the HTC Hero, I remember that much.

HTC Hero > Blackberry (forget which model) > Palm Pre (had it for a week. Loved WebOS, but the phone's build was awful, and battery was atrocious) > HTC EVO > Samsung Epic 4g > iPhone 4s > Nexus 4 > HTC One > iPhone 5s > iPhone 6 +

And I think I might even be missing some lol As you can see, I really tried to fall in love with Android. Never could.

EDIT: Wow, I thought I had gone through a lot phones. Some of you have a LONG list.

Courage

Does anyone have any idea how the iPhone 6 will fare compared to Nexus 5's battery? I was slightly disappointed with the latter's battery life and if it's about the same, I might change my order to a 6+.

jrcbandit

Hmm I went from Palm Pre->HTC EVO 4G->EVO 3D->EVO 4G LTE-> Samsung Galaxy S3-> HTC One M7-> HTC One M8-> IPhone 6+. However, I'm worried about the lag mentioned in some of the reviews, I don't want this to be an IPad 3 type of situation. Also I was going to go caseless due to the large size, but read that the back was easy to scratch. Not as positive about my pre-order now. At least iut hasn't shipped if I decide to cancel.

My order was around 4 am eastern and my Verizon order hasn't been updated, my email said October 7.

edit: Oh wait nvm. Need 4.6gb. WTF Apple

Yeah I see it now. Update says 957 MB but says I need 4.6 GB of space to install.

This is why I went with a 64GB 5S and why I'm going with a 128GB 6 Plus.

Thanks. I don't know if I should be worried because I got my order in around Friday at 6pm EST. My order still says preparing for shipment.

You have an actual tracking number and everything? Mine is scheduled to arrive on the 19th but it still just says Preparing for shipment.

Mine still says "Preparing for Shipment" on the Apple site, but check the support site. If you have a serial number for your device there, that means it shipped and you can track it using the "Track by Reference" feature on the UPS site. Once you do that once, you'll have a tracking number through UPS.

-griffy-

Banned
Anyone else remember the first time they held an iPhone 4? It was like holding your first born. Its build quality was mind blowing compared to the 3GS.

Holding the iPhone 5 for the first time felt pretty damn good too. Now I can't wait for Friday.

iPhone 4 was my first smart phone, coming from some crappy old Samsung flip phone. It was like a revelation in every way, and I couldn't get over how substantial it felt compared to my old phone. It had weight to it, but not in a "oh this is too heavy" but "wow, this is an actual object." It felt like a purposeful and well designed device instead of a plastic thing with a cheap hinge.

Schlep

Also I was going to go caseless due to the large size, but read that the back was easy to scratch. Not as positive about my pre-order now. At least iut hasn't shipped if I decide to cancel.

What was more worrying to me was a reviewer or two saying that because the back is so slick, it's easier for the 6+ to slip out of your hand. Now Samsung's faux leather backs make a bit more sense.

Mine still says "Preparing for Shipment" on the Apple site, but check the support site. If you have a serial number for your device there, that means it shipped and you can track it using the "Track by Reference" feature on the UPS site. Once you do that once, you'll have a tracking number through UPS.

I found the serial number but the Track By Reference feature on the UPS site isn't working for me. Oh well.

Keylime

I found the serial number but the Track By Reference feature on the UPS site isn't working for me. Oh well.

Try typing in your billing phone number in that reference # field and see if it spits something out. That's what I'm using to get my tracking data atm.

Top Bottom