• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Ugh. I already have an iPad mini retina. Not sure I can justify the 6+.

But the display is better, and the battery life is better than the 6.

I'm so torn....

MercuryLS

Banned
How does Apples iphone trade ins work I store? How picky are they? My iPhone 5 has a crack near the earpiece and some dents. Would they accept it for crest towards an iPhone 6?

3N16MA

Banned
If you want to really get a grasp of the form factor, go find a kiosk or phone store and pick up the Note 3. The iPhone 6+ is a slightly taller, much thinner version of that.

It's surprisingly usable. Definitely a shock from the iPhone 5 size screen, but still a useful tablet/phone combo device. Last time I was in Singapore I'd say 75% of all phones I saw were the Note 3, and I heard a lot of sentiment from friends in favor of jumping ship, platform wise, if Apple didn't ship a competitively sized phone.

I'm a little surprised Apple didn't just hedge their bets with a 5.0" size, but I'm glad to see the bigger option.

Never thought I would get a 5.5 inch phone a few years ago but after holding different versions of the Note I found it to be fine in the hand.

Glad Apple went all out to 5.5.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh. I'm watching the keynote now, having set my heart on the 4.7" thinking the 5.5" is just too darn big, but Schiller's demo of the Plus with the special stuff the normal 6 doesn't have like all the "Two up" stuff. And now I really want the damn 5.5" again. Even though it's soooo huge.

I don't even know anyone who owns a 5.5" phone of any sort so I can't even get an idea of the size.

Really want the 5.5". But I don't. But I need it. But I don't. But I dooooooooo.....

sirap

Ugh. I already have an iPad mini retina. Not sure I can justify the 6+.

But the display is better, and the battery life is better than the 6.

I'm so torn....

Get in man, why carry an extra tablet when you can combine that with an actual phone.

Looking forward to getting the 6 Plus. My One M8 is ready 5 inches, I might as well go big.

Ugh. I'm watching the keynote now, having set my heart on the 4.7" thinking the 5.5" is just too darn big, but Schiller's demo of the Plus with the special stuff the normal 6 doesn't have like all the "Two up" stuff. And now I really want the damn 5.5" again. Even though it's soooo huge.

I don't even know anyone who owns a 5.5" phone of any sort so I can't even get an idea of the size.

Really want the 5.5". But I don't. But I need it. But I don't. But I dooooooooo.....

Go to best buy and demo a note 3, the iPhone is longer and slightly thinner.

It should give you a good idea on size.

Quick

Banned
Looks good, and I'd buy the large model, but I think I'm going to keep my 5S for another year. Either I wait for the 6S/6S+ or the 7.

I really wish they had demo units in store. This year more than any it would be helpful due to the major size differences.

Right now I'm kind of underwhelmed. The spec boost is relatively minor this time around, I was expecting a little bit more. If I wasn't switching carriers I might be tempted to punt on it this year since my iPhone 5 is holing up ok.

I'm just not sure which way to go, I do want the better screen and battery (OIS is nice too), but 5.5" seems way too big.

It looks ugly, and cheap IMHO, even the introduction video isnt pleasant to watch...Im not an Apple fan, but its clear Steve Jobs didnt have his finger on this one.

BearPawB

Banned
What? This is just to get a feel for the size, also that pen is pretty nice.

Oh, i misread your reply.
Sorry. I thought you were saying he should buy one instead of the iphone 6+.

Yeah the pen is fine. I was just stating that even though they are similar sizes, the phones themselves are kind of different functionally.

My bad!

I really wish they had demo units in store. This year more than any it would be helpful due to the major size differences.

Right now I'm kind of underwhelmed. The spec boost is relatively minor this time around, I was expecting a little bit more. If I wasn't switching carriers I might be tempted to punt on it this year since my iPhone 5 is holing up ok.

I'm just not sure which way to go, I do want the better screen and battery (OIS is nice too), but 5.5" seems way too big.

There will literally be demo units all over the place in a week people. Try it out at a verizon store then. It's not like a console launch where it may be sold out until Christmas.

lexi

Banned

In a similar bind myself. No idea what I want, I was initially all set for 4.7, but 5.5 with the features and battery is swaying heavily on me.

Yea. I use a galaxy note 2 @ work and it's not bad. I have really big hands so it's not a problem for me. I just need a bigger battery. And I spend a lot of time commuting on a daily basis.

Fuck it. I'm going for the 6+. I need dat 1080p and 30% battery life. 128gb for my media. So many movies I will be installing...

Oh, i misread your reply.
Sorry. I thought you were saying he should buy one instead of the iphone 6+.

Yeah the pen is fine. I was just stating that even though they are similar sizes, the phones themselves are kind of different functionally.

My bad!

I see how that could happen, I'll edit for clarity.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Go to best buy and pick up a note 3, the iPhone is longer and slightly thinner.
I don't have one close enough that I would want to drive. I'll just wait for them to be in the wild. Maybe Radio Shack will have the 6+ when it comes out.

but with the iphone i don't need to use a pen to take full advantage of the phone
I think he just meant to compare the size to my 4C. Not switch to Android.

I hate that the exclusive Plus features are keeping me from just grabbing a 4.7". At this point I don't even care about the price. (I was going to get a new mini anyway. This would replace it.) But that size. And dem bezels. Gonna have to wait for them to show up in the wild. Not planning on actually getting it for months though so there's plenty of time to lust after them both.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In a similar bind myself. No idea what I want, I was initially all set for 4.7, but 5.5 with the features and battery is swaying heavily on me.
I should make a mockup like those people on YouTube did and try carrying it around with me for a few days.

I guess I'm the kind of person who never impulse buys a cellphone. I'd really wait for reviews and try in store before pulling the trigger on any phone.

DarkFlow

Banned
It's bigger than that. People involved in retail and NFC payment systems might understand better. ApplePay is the kind of thing that almost invisibly changes an entire industry, the kind of thing you reflect on and feel was there all along.

It will do for mobile payments what the iPhone did for devices, what Pixar did for animated film. It is a sea change.
It's really not, but I'm glad I'll be able to use Google wallet more places.

DOWN

Banned
What time do pre-orders for iPhones usually go up on apple.com?

Supposed to be midnight PST usually, but the web page is often delayed and stuck for 10-15 minutes, so use their official Apple Store app. It tends to be ready to go a couple of minutes after midnight while everyone on the web page is thinking it is busted.

dankir

Honestly folks who think 5.5" is way too big, you'll get used to it in like 1 - 2 days. I have a Note 3 and its easy to use and hold.

Bigger is better.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Honestly folks who think 5.5" is way too big, you'll get used to it in like 1 - 2 days. I have a Note 3 and its easy to use and hold.

Bigger is better.
As long as it fits in at least one of my pockets, I won't care. That's my main problem. I'd hate to be wearing a belt clip case because I'd be constantly bumping it on the tables at work.

How are we feeling about Gold, iPhoneGAF? My 4 was black, my 5 is white... Don't really dig any of the color combos on the 6 Plus, dare I go gold to complete the trifecta? Is it too gaudy? Feminine (not that there's anything wrong with that, actually)? I can't decide!

Dead

well not really...yet
How are we feeling about Gold, iPhoneGAF? My 4 was black, my 5 is white... Don't really dig any of the color combos on the 6 Plus, dare I go gold to complete the trifecta? Is it too gaudy? Feminine (not that there's anything wrong with that, actually)? I can't decide!
I did white with 5S

Space Gray...I want black...

Gonna go gold. Fuck it.

WTF, I just bought an iPhone yesterday and they come out with something new? This is such bullshit.

How could you have possibly known that an annually released phone, of which the last model was released almost 12 months ago, would have a new model released!....

keuja

The prices are too high and nothing is really outstanding it seems. Nowadays you can get some quality android phones with similar specs at almost one fifth the price (xiaomi mi 4, One plus one, etc). Won't keep Apple selling them by the millions though.

Edit: also wtf at those huge bezels.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I really feel like apple has fucked this time on the prices. I am sorry, but not making a 32GB model means I probably will not be getting one. I have no need for 64GB, but my iphone is like 21GB atm.

Avixph

Phonearena has a nifty size comparison app on their website. I'm not sure if anyone linked it earlier in this thread or not.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-6/phones/8346

NEWS FLASH: The 6 plus is fucking huge.

Hit layered at the bottom and it'll overlay any other phone so you can see the size difference and you can calibrate it with any phone you have on you to really get a feel for how it compares.
This is really neat thanks, also make sure to press the calibrate button and enter the name of your current phone in order to calibrate your screen for the displayed phone to match the actual size of your current phone.

Top Bottom