• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Couleurs

I'm not really sure whether I want the 6 or the 6 Plus; I'm tempted to just preorder the 6 Plus and exchange it for a 6 if it feels too big (won't be able to go to Best Buy before preorders open in order to hold some phones to get a rough idea).

I'm pretty disappointed in the 1GB RAM and that there is apparently no black model, but a larger screen and 128GB storage will be awesome.

Red

I am thoroughly underwhelmed by the 6. I thought ApplePay was by far the most important thing announced today, but no one else seems to agree.

Reachability is one of the most embarrassing concessions I have ever seen. When you create a device so huge you need to displace half the screen to make it usable, it is time to sober up. Take a look at yourself, phone industry. Take a look at yourselves, consumers. Look at what you've done.

I am really bummed that the 5.5" is the one to go with for OIS, battery, and UI improvements. I'll have to wait for the S models and hope some of those features trickle down.

Until then I will continue to dream of a 4S-sized phone built to compete on today's landscape. Usability and taste, I whisper a sad adieu.

BFIB

I am thoroughly underwhelmed by the 6. I thought ApplePay was by far the most important thing announced today, but no one else seems to agree.

Reachability is one of the most embarrassing concessions I have ever seen. When you create a device so huge you need to displace half the screen to make it usable, it is time to sober up. Take a look at yourself, phone industry. Take a look at yourselves, consumers. Look at what you've done.

I am really bummed that the 5.5" is the one to go with for OIS, battery, and UI improvements. I'll have to wait for the S models and hope some of those features trickle down.

Until then I will continue to dream of a 4S-sized phone built to compete on today's landscape. Usability and taste, I whisper a sad adieu.
ApplePay was huge too. It's how Apple operates, take something advanced and simplify it for ease of use.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

I agree. I thought the iPhone 5 was a perfect size. I never watch movies or play games on my phone. I don't need a huge phone. I do need a better battery though, which is what makes me think I'll regret not going for the huge one. But shit man, I don't wanna lug that thing around in my pocket at work.

I completely agree. That's actually what got me hyped the most out of the entire keynote.

Battery life?

04Mrzj9.png

bqzH4Op.png

Apple Payments is going to slay mobile payments. You dont have to wake the phone, no password. Just point it towards the reader and place your thumb on the home screen. Boom. Just so quick and easy.

I just hope it picks up adoption.

GWX

Apple Payments is going to slay mobile payments. You dont have to wake the phone, no password. Just point it towards the reader and place your thumb on the home screen. Boom. Just so quick and easy.

Pretty much. It's so seamless.

DarkFlow

Banned

It's NFC payments with a fingerprint security access. You can use all of it right now, apple only made it faster to use on a iPhone.

BearPawB

Banned
I am going back and forth on whether I want the big phone.

I am a big guy, with big hands. So usability isn't the issue for me. It is more, "will that look straight up ridiculous"....and i think it might.

But, i don't have a tablet. So this half measure seems like a nice idea.

Red

It's NFC payments with a fingerprint security access. You can use all of it right now, apple only made it faster to use on a iPhone.
It's bigger than that. People involved in retail and NFC payment systems might understand better. ApplePay is the kind of thing that almost invisibly changes an entire industry, the kind of thing you reflect on and feel was there all along.

It will do for mobile payments what the iPhone did for devices, what Pixar did for animated film. It is a sea change.

Having to wait till the s-revision as I still have another year left on my AppleCare warranty (bought it outright), but I'll probably get the 4.7in model next year. 5.5 seems too big.

EmiPrime

Looks like it's US only. They've omitted any mention of it from the UK site.

Everyone has NFC debit cards here anyway.

Did you see the list of places that are adopting it already that were on the slide in the keynote today? This is the real difference between Apple Pay and Google Wallet. Sure, both are easy to use, they do essentially the same thing, Android had it two-years ago, blah, blah, blah. But Apple will force companies to adopt it. Places like McDonalds, Subway, WalGreens, Disney, etc. Adoption will pick up for all NFC payments thanks to this.

Even so, it cuts off an extra step of getting your card out and just having to carry extra stuff with you. If I can just carry only my phone with me and not my wallet, I would love it.

If only I could get on the trains and buses with my phone instead of having to carry a Metrocard. I just one device to do everything.

It sounds funny when you try to tell people that taking your card out of your wallet is a big deal, but you would be surprised how lazy people are. From a business perspective, the less friction/steps there are to completing the purchase, the higher the chance the customer will finish it.

Did you see the list of places that are adopting it already that were on the slide in the keynote today? This is the real difference between Apple Pay and Google Wallet. Sure, both are easy to use, they do essentially the same thing, Android had it two-years ago, blah, blah, blah. But Apple will force companies to adopt it. Places like McDonalds, Subway, WalGreens, Disney, etc. Adoption will pick up for all NFC payments thanks to this.

That too. Its a good thing for NFC in general.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Im in for 128gig, I can finally put a lot of my lossless music on it. I keep going back and forth between regular iPhone 6 and the Plus. That 5.5 inch screen would be awesome for work emails, browsing and texting but Im worried its uncomfortable to hold. Im going from a 4S too, even 4.7 inches is a big jump in size.

Dany

Banned
Here. I made this for anyone else who like me is coming from an iPhone 5, and is wondering how much of an improvement the 6's battery life is going to be over the 5:

JKJCZeb.png

Basically, 6 more hours of talk time.
2 more hours of Internet LTE usage.

That seems substantial enough for me. DOn't think i'll be getting the 6+

Vahagn

Even so, it cuts off an extra step of getting your card out and just having to carry extra stuff with you. If I can just carry only my phone with me and not my wallet, I would love it.

If only I could get on the trains and buses with my phone instead of having to carry a Metrocard. I just one device to do everything.

It sounds funny when you try to tell people that taking your card out of your wallet is a big deal, but you would be surprised how lazy people are. From a business perspective, the less friction/steps there are to completing the purchase, the higher the chance the customer will finish it.

I got a really nice money clip as a wedding party gift this year. I love using it, and it's name brand, but it's just the clip and doesn't have a lot of room for cards before it loses grip. Being able to carry cash + DL + Triple A card and leave all my credit card/debit cards at home is gonna be pretty damn awesome. Not having to fidget with the clip every time I want to pay is going to be better!

v0yce

Yep. I said the same earlier. I already feel the 5 is a little on the big size but I thought at the very least the smaller 6 wouldn't be any bigger than that. But it's actually quite a bit bigger. And the 6+ is just absurd.

I'll be glad when we can get beyond this big dumb SUV phone fad. We laugh when we see pics of old Zack Morris size cellphones yet foam at the mouth for giant smartphone screens. What is the appeal of these? Are people's eyesight really so terrible that they need huge screens a mere elbows length away?

iPhone 4 was so great. sniff

DOWN

Banned
Going with 6 Plus in Space Grey I think.

Not loving Apple is like not loving me. Grounds for divorce tbh.

This pretty much. Also, you can bet Apple are going to advertise the hell out of Apple Pay and make sure everyone knows about it.

Sure Google Wallet has been around for years but most people don't even know about it. Apple Pay is definitely going to change that.

It has same ppi as the 5, doesn't come in black, and has no 4 inch version...would've loved to see an ultra thin A6 powered "iPhone Air."

Oh' well. I seriously don't know what my next phone is going to be.

DOWN

Banned
It has same ppi as the 5, doesn't come in black, and has no 4 inch version...would've loved to see an ultra thin A6 powered "iPhone Air."

Oh' well. I seriously don't know what my next phone is going to be.

It comes as close to black as any anodized aluminum device should. They learned their mistakes with black on iPhone 5.

Rpgmonkey

I like the OIS and battery life of the 6 Plus, but I'm not fond of the size and since I'm taking this chance to finally be done with 16GB iPhones I want to keep the cost down where I can.

I guess by time I upgrade again for the 7 or whatever OIS may be in the smaller option, oh well. :/

Damn.

Gonna have to do quite a bit of messing around with our Verizon lines to try and work myself into an iPhone 6 sometime soon.

D.Lo

That too is my dream. The 4 was a better size than the 5. And these new designs are back to generic from the absolute WOW of the 4. The 4 was unlike anything else.

FUCK. LARGER. PHONES.

You know, I talked a lot of shit about big phones but I'm really warming up to the iPhone 6+. Mostly because I feel like if I got the regular 6, I will be missing out on the "iPad-like" updates on the 6+. The 5.5 one feels like the real true upgrade.

Like the Note looked fucking massive and the 6+ is bigger. But I really feel like I should be getting that one. I just dont know how I'm gonna fit it in my pants, and I dont want to carry it in a man bag..

People always say they want this but the only thing I can think about is "Dude, what if your battery dies?"

LOL thats a valid point. But Metrocards are so flimsy and lame. Maybe some sort of way to make it work with really low power? I dunno I'm not an engineer!

I got a really nice money clip as a wedding party gift this year. I love using it, and it's name brand, but it's just the clip and doesn't have a lot of room for cards before it loses grip. Being able to carry cash + DL + Triple A card and leave all my credit card/debit cards at home is gonna be pretty damn awesome. Not having to fidget with the clip every time I want to pay is going to be better!

Money clips always felt like a fashion accessory for me. But then again, I dont have the stacks required to pull one off. My money clip would be full of dollar bills and coupons. So sad lol

I like the battery life and camera improvements of the Plus but it really seems like it'll be way too big to comfortably keep in my pocket. I'm currently leaning towards a 128GB 6.

Arlen777

I wonder if Apple Stores will have demo units of iPhones prior to launch, at least so we can hold both of them in our hands and decide which one to get

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That too is my dream. The 4 was a better size than the 5. And these new designs are back to generic from the absolute WOW of the 4. The 4 was unlike anything else.

FUCK. LARGER. PHONES.

Boo. I like being able to read websites and things on my phone. The 4.7 might be perfect, but I'm going 5.5.

FUCK. LARGER. PHONES.

I like big phones, a friend had me use her 4s once and I could barely wrap my mind around using something so tiny. Though these new sizes appeal to me personally I really feel for the people who are frustrated with such big phones. I don't know what to tell you though man, the industry has moved away from small phones. We probably won't see small flagships again, especially not a 3.5 inch one.

FUCK I'm not due for an upgrade until late November NOOOOOO :(

I really dont want to pay $1000 bucks for a phone...

Well at least now I have more time to decide which color I want... ;_;

If you want to really get a grasp of the form factor, go find a kiosk or phone store and pick up the Note 3. The iPhone 6+ is a slightly taller, much thinner version of that.

It's surprisingly usable. Definitely a shock from the iPhone 5 size screen, but still a useful tablet/phone combo device. Last time I was in Singapore I'd say 75% of all phones I saw were the Note 3, and I heard a lot of sentiment from friends in favor of jumping ship, platform wise, if Apple didn't ship a competitively sized phone.

I'm a little surprised Apple didn't just hedge their bets with a 5.0" size, but I'm glad to see the bigger option.

Top Bottom