• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Pacific Centre in downtown Vancouver also currently has the smallest and saddest-looking little shanty town going on. You would think it was a small group of homeless people if you didn't know any better.

I want to wear my Samsung t-shirt and go harass them >:)

KevinG

My 6 Plus has finally shipped from Apple. The site still says preparing, but my "track by reference" lead says it has been picked up my UPS in Pennsylvania and headed to North Carolina. It's happening!

Rambaldi

Snap, so this means since that morning Apple just automatically place every order with the same mid-october date? Looks like the estimates are unreliable...

Honestly, I went with them because, maybe stupidly, I'm hoping they will fulfill an order faster than AT&T would. I'm also hoping it ships out earlier but I doubt it, tbh. Unless a bunch of people cancel come Friday because they just go with the 6 instead (like buying them in person at a storefront)

HGStormy

Banned
Why in the world would a service provider have any interest in selling you a device without a service plan? I suppose you could just buy the phone with a plan and cancel the service immediately, but you'd probably have to pay for the first month at least.

I think you have to go to an Apple store to buy a device outright without some kind of service agreement.

Well I already have a pre-paid plan with them :c

knicks

I played with a 6 Plus earlier. Looks amazing, though glad I went with the the 4.7. Don't think I'd be able to adapt to its size, however it still feels great in the hand, so thin.

It really varies I suppose on occupation, physical hand size, and if you go out a lot. While I have read that the Plus benefits those that like to travel a lot due to longevity of the battery, it is no where near as portable. I wouldn't want to go on a hike with that in my pocket, personally.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well I already have a pre-paid plan with them :c

Do you have an account? If so, you can go into your account, select your device, and then choose to upgrade it on the website.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Why would you not just type this shit?! These keyboard apps are weird.

Swype is ass compared to SwiftKey.

Is SwiftKey going to steal all my credit card information?!

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I'm coming to love SwiftKey more than I expected to. Once I get more used to it I'm sure it'll be faster and way more productive.
I really need to get used to correcting the fuckups and teaching it slang stuff.

Right now I feel like I'm spending significantly more time correcting it than typing.

HUELEN10

Fuck me, I can't find a proper aux cable anywhere. It needs to have a plug as Svelte as as earpods, black, and no more than a foot long.

Any tips?

I just think it's confusing marketing. You're going to have casual customers asking when the iPads are going to be upgraded with "Retina HD" displays, when they've actually been sporting resolutions higher than 1080p for quite some time.

No. Casual customers don't even give a shit about that stuff.

zychi

Banned
This doesn't exist to stop used phone sales, it exists to stop people from accessing stolen phones. The asterisks are there to stop a thief from viewing your full email address, which would allow them to try to break into the Apple ID associated with it. If the phone is sold legitimately, avoiding this problem is as simple as the owner turning off Find My iPhone before wiping it and selling it, which Apple requires you to do to wipe it anyway unless you restore in recovery mode (which there's no legit reason to do if you're just wiping it to sell it). Any reputable store knows about the Find My iPhone system and requires it to be turned off before trading in a device. This is the seller's fault, 100%.

So it's Amazon's, one of the most reputable sellers in the US, fault that an uninformed customer didn't wipe their device?

Which wasn't caught by the 19 year old who opened it, turned it on, and had the start screen? Because you have to go through every step of setup before the "activate ipad" screen comes up? It's litertally the last screen before the iPad is usable.

It's no way Apple's fault that they changed this after ios 6? It's Amazon's fault for selling an Apple product?

Next you'll tell me it's Twitter's fault when the Wifi goes bad on a Macbook and I can't access the internet.

Deku Tree

So it's Amazon's, one of the most reputable sellers in the US, fault that an uninformed customer didn't wipe their device?

Which wasn't caught by the 19 year old who opened it, turned it on, and had the start screen? Because you have to go through every step of setup before the "activate ipad" screen comes up? It's litertally the last screen before the iPad is usable.

It's no way Apple's fault that they changed this after ios 6? It's Amazon's fault for selling an Apple product?

Next you'll tell me it's Twitter's fault when the Wifi goes bad on a Macbook and I can't access the internet.

100% yes. Amazon should not be buying iOS devices if Find my iPhone is turned on... That's iOS 101. It's like selling a car without handing over the title papers.

Actually yes. When you try to trade in your phone with att they explicitly check to ensure find my iPhone is turned off before they will give you a quote.

Edit: my iPhone is still preparing for shipment. :(

Vyer

wtf

EDIT:

Here, to demonstrate:

i0BllQu.jpg

Amazon literally tells you you must do this when you trade it in. You can't even get the trade initialized when you start the process without this alert. They sold you something where they didn't even follow up on their own requirements. They screwed you. They should fix it.

RoKKeR

Any case suggestions? My dad had the leather Apple case for his 5S and it was a freaking sweet case, currently looking to get that one for the 6 unless there is some end-all-beat-all case out there.

jcm

Yes, it's Amazon's fault. Their own trade in instructions say you won't get paid if you forget to turn it off.

3. What are the steps for selling my iPhone?
Important: If you're trading in an Apple device, you must turn off the "Find my iPhone" feature before shipping your item to get paid. To do this, go to Settings > iCloud> Find my iPhone > Off

Why are you so eager to blame Apple and absolve Amazon? They sold you a device that is unusable. They should (and will) give you your money back. If you bought a used car from a dealer, and the car key didn't have the transponder chip in it, would you bitch about the manufacturer's anti-theft device? Or would you tell the dealer to sell you car you can start?

Bullza2o

Honestly, I went with them because, maybe stupidly, I'm hoping they will fulfill an order faster than AT&T would. I'm also hoping it ships out earlier but I doubt it, tbh. Unless a bunch of people cancel come Friday because they just go with the 6 instead (like buying them in person at a storefront)

Same here. There's a whole month difference between the shipping estimates set by AT&T and Apple --even the regular 6 space gray was "ships in 21-35 days" on AT&T vs 7-10 days on Apple.

I just hope Apple Store's estimates are reliable/accurate.

Deku Tree

I ordered my 6+ from AT&T the website said delivery on September 19. They scammed me. as soon as I got the confirmation email, it said delivery in October. I am still hoping for some improvement.

hiryu2015

No shipping details on my order (regular 6), but the listed shipping date is 9/17-9/18. I always assumed it would ship tomorrow as I'm fairly close to Cupertino and there must be a distribution center or two nearby.

zychi

Banned
Yes, it's Amazon's fault. Their own trade in instructions say you won't get paid if you forget to turn it off.

3. What are the steps for selling my iPhone?
Important: If you're trading in an Apple device, you must turn off the "Find my iPhone" feature before shipping your item to get paid. To do this, go to Settings > iCloud> Find my iPhone > Off

Why are you so eager to blame Apple and absolve Amazon? They sold you a device that is unusable. They should (and will) give you your money back. If you bought a used car from a dealer, and the car key didn't have the transponder chip in it, would you bitch about the manufacturer's anti-theft device? Or would you tell the dealer to sell you car you can start?

Let me put it simple. If I buy a used Ford car, and it lets me turn it on, even let's me pop the hood, check the belts, but the second I try to shift gears I have to type in a keycode because of some lame "security measure" implemented by the previous owner (who is anonymous BTW) who do I contact?

Do I contact a BMW dealer?
No. I contact a Ford dealer or a mechanic to fix it.

Who do I contact to remove the issue with an APPLE product?
Apple or an IT person, guess what, no one can unlock it besides Apple.

iPad Airs are less than a full year old, they are STILL under warranty with Apple, regardless of when you bought it. Why is it so difficult to prove I purchased legally, with a receipt, and get it unlocked with the company who makes, sells, implements the passwords and warranties, when ios 7, literally a year to the day since it was released, was the first to implement this. Apple has all serial numbers, all usernames who are associated with the device. Hell. they still have pictures of you in the icloud from 5 years ago. If I prove I legally purchased it, just unlock the damn thing.

"My hands are tied" I heard that 6 different times today from the CS.

HUELEN10

1. It is not an issue with Apple product, it is an issue with the seller selling you a brick. Apple is telling you the same and...

2. Even after 6 different times, you won't hear them out.

Let me put it simple. If I buy a used Ford car, and it lets me turn it on, even let's me pop the hood, check the belts, but the second I try to shift gears I have to type in a keycode because of some lame "security measure" implemented by the previous owner (who is anonymous BTW) who do I contact?

iPad Airs are less than a full year old, they are STILL under warranty with Apple, regardless of when you bought it. Why is it so difficult to prove I purchased legally, with a receipt, and get it unlocked with the company who makes, sells, implements the passwords and warranties, when ios 7, literally a year to the day since it was released, was the first to implement this. Apple has all serial numbers, all usernames who are associated with the device. Hell. they still have pictures of you in the icloud from 5 years ago. If I prove I legally purchased it, just unlock the damn thing.

Dude, someone sold you a locked car and didn't give you the key. It's not Ford's fault.

ZeroX03

Banned

You would talk to whatever dealer sold you the car.

What customer service are you talking to? Amazon or Apple? You should be talking to Amazon.

Everybody here is telling you to talk to Amazon. This isn't Apple's issue, it's the seller who didn't check the product they were selling you.

jcm

Why the hell would you contact ford instead of the person who sold you the car? That's insane.

Husker86

I almost can't believe zychi...

So, you're defending Amazon when they sold you something that doesn't work. It doesn't matter WHY it doesn't work, it simply doesn't work.

I cannot understand why you, as an Amazon customer, refuse to hold Amazon responsible for selling you something that doesn't work. All you have done is blast Apple for implementing something that has reduced the theft of iOS devices.

For that reason, I don't believe your story.

If you buy a DOA TV from any retailer, do you not return it for a replacement? You contact the manufacturer? Really?

zychi

Banned
Why the hell would you contact ford instead of the person who sold you the car? That's insane.

implemented by the previous owner (who is anonymous BTW) who do I contact?

If I buy a used TV from a guy on Craigslist and get no information from him, and the board in the tv starts to act up a week later, do I contact Craigslist? No, I contact the company that made the tv or a repairman.

Guess what, you can't repair the lock on an iPad, with a repairman because Apple locked any other way to do it. Only Apple can fix it.

When I mail this back to Amazon, guess who they're going to contact to fix it? Not the guy who traded it in. They're going to contact Apple.

Apath

I almost can't believe zychi...

So, you're defending Amazon when they sold you something that doesn't work. It doesn't matter WHY it doesn't work, it simply doesn't work.

I cannot understand why you, as an Amazon customer, refuse to hold Amazon responsible for selling you something that doesn't work. All you have done is blast Apple for implementing something that has reduced the theft of iOS devices.

For that reason, I don't believe your story.

If you buy a DOA TV from any retailer, do you not return it for a replacement? You contact the manufacturer? Really?
Bought a vacuum cleaner from Amazon that did not work when it arrived. There was a big piece of paper--first thing when you open the box--that says "DO NOT RETURN TO PLACE OF PURCHASE CONTACT MANUFACTURER FIRST" from the people who made it. Said fuck that, still contacted Amazon and had a replacement from them within a couple days.

Amazon wants you to contact them and let them exchange it for you. They do not want you stressing out or dealing with other company's bullshit. That is literally what Amazon does best.

If I buy a used TV from a guy on Craigslist and get no information from him, and the board in the tv starts to act up a week later, do I contact Craigslist? No, I contact the company that made the tv or a repairman.

Guess what, you can't repair the lock on an iPad, with a repairman because Apple locked any other way to do it. Only Apple can fix it.

When I mail this back to Amazon, guess who they're going to contact to fix it? Not the guy who traded it in. They're going to contact Apple.

You really don't get it. If it's locked, no one can do anything but the original owner. Apple won't do shit because for security reasons it cannot disclose the apple ID/ identity of the owner as they must assume you could be asking to unlock stolen property. This opens them to litigation of possibly assisting in the sale of stolen merchandise.

As we keep trying to tell you, amazon should have checked as to whether the iPad had find my iPad removed. Since it didn't, it should have been shipped back to the person who gave it to them. As they missed this, IT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZON'S FAULT.

Sobriquet

But seriously, Amazon is responsible.

ZeroX03

Banned

Dude you're bonkers. Your analogies are bonkers. Stop being bonkers, and talk to fucking Amazon. Everything will be right with the world again and you'll get your sanity back. Everybody wins, especially us, because we won't have to read your bonkers posts again. Even if you don't think they're responsible, they are and if you talk with this sort of conviction to them they'll take responsibility.
PS. I really just wanted to used the word bonkers

the previous owner isn't anonymous, the previous owner is Amazon.com

Top Bottom