• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

zychi

Banned
I really think you are blaming the wrong party here. Amazon fucked up by sending you a locked device.

Yup, blaming the company who locks used market sales out by ********** when they *********** for ************** when******** you *********

Instead of having a working system that would allow me to contact the previous owner instead of getting *************

I should totally blame the 18 year old kid working at Amazon who saw the ipad turned on to the start screen and figured it worked properly.

Namikaze

oOiyLdQ.jpg

Got my apple leather case today too. Decided to keep it, feels really nice in the hand. If it does get noticeably worn/dirty, I'll just replace it with the silicone, can't really be bothered to send it back. Will test it out and let you guys know how it goes, ha.

My phone is finally leaving Zhengzhou as of an hour ago, still set to come on the 19th. I'm just gonna pick it up at my local UPS facility Friday morning.

Guess Who

Banned
Yup, blaming the company who locks used market sales out by ********** when they *********** for ************** when******** you *********

Instead of having a working system that would allow me to contact the previous owner instead of getting *************

I should totally blame the 18 year old kid working at Amazon who saw the ipad turned on to the start screen and figured it worked properly.

This doesn't exist to stop used phone sales, it exists to stop people from accessing stolen phones. The asterisks are there to stop a thief from viewing your full email address, which would allow them to try to break into the Apple ID associated with it. If the phone is sold legitimately, avoiding this problem is as simple as the owner turning off Find My iPhone before wiping it and selling it, which Apple requires you to do to wipe it anyway unless you restore in recovery mode (which there's no legit reason to do if you're just wiping it to sell it). Any reputable store knows about the Find My iPhone system and requires it to be turned off before trading in a device. This is the seller's fault, 100%.

Jobiensis

Come on, this isn't about blocking a used market, it's about protecting a current owner's device. Amazon fucked up, the product is effectively broken.

muu

outfit matrix looks really nice. Is there a link to one sold by amazon or is it vendor only at this time?

My plain-Jane diztronic case held up for 2 years of abuse on the iphone5 and I'm thinking about going w/ the iphone6 version, but something where the headphone jack isn't just a cutout would be awesome.

SeanR1221

Got my apple leather case today too. Decided to keep it, feels really nice in the hand. If it does get noticeably worn/dirty, I'll just replace it with the silicone, can't really be bothered to send it back. Will test it out and let you guys know how it goes, ha.

My phone is finally leaving Zhengzhou as of an hour ago, still set to come on the 19th. I'm just gonna pick it up at my local UPS facility Friday morning.

What's that clear case?

Pastry

Banned
Shipping Date: 10/02/14 - 10/13/14*

Wt... seriously AT&T? Anyone else seeing this from AT&T?

I was looking at their store earlier and that's what I saw too. I think I'm just going to try my luck and see what I can find around release. If I can't find anything it's not like I'd be getting it soon anyway.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Bell has yet to even tell anyone the status of their phones. Just "processing". Damn.

Same here on Fido.

I am number 12 to get the 128gb 6+, which leaves me hopeful. If fido gets any at all, I think I'll get one.

But the limbo, man... the limbo....

MicH

If it makes any of you feel any better, I still haven't been able to preorder my iPhone 6 yet as it doesn't launch here until the 26th :( (preordering starts Friday!)

jcm

I ordered my gold 64MB iPhone 6 at 3am on Saturday (not Friday) directly from T-Mobile, at the time it told me my expected ship date was October 1. But I just got this:

"Thank you for your iPhone 6 pre-order. Great news — you should receive your device on Friday. We will send another notification once your device ships, which will include tracking information. We are extremely excited about the iPhone 6, and wanted to make sure you are up-to-date on the status of your order."

Yay! Hopefully there's no problems delivering it to my PO Box...

Are you on the jump plan? They said they were prioritizing jump people who ordered bb Sunday. I haven't heard anything about my order yet. I bought 2 64gb silver 6.

Draper

Girlfriend is offering to stand in line to pick me up one on Friday, since my preorder has an eta of 3 to 4 weeks.

I don't know, I feel bad.

That red case is sexy

Sobriquet

I hate the fact that my 6 still has not shipped from Apple.

Some of you guys said they overnighted previous iPhones, right?

Mine shipped but Apple still shows "preparing to ship." Mine just arrived in Louisville KY.

Same thing happened with my iPad 1. I never got a shipping notice but I got it on release day.

Cse

Banned
So...Apple updated the resolutions on the iPhone 6 and 6+ to ~750p and 1080p, respectively, and states they now have "Retina HD" screens. However, every iPad with a Retina display has a higher resolution than 1080p (2048 x 1536), yet they're still referred to as just "Retina" displays.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So...Apple updated the resolutions on the iPhone 6 and 6+ to ~750p and 1080p, respectively, and states they now have "Retina HD" screens. However, every iPad with a Retina display has a higher resolution than 1080p (2048 x 1536), yet they're still referred to as just "Retina" displays.

The short answer is "Apple marketing lol"

But there might be a kind of logic to it. 720p and 1080p are the exact resolutions that are referred to as HD in the television/film world, so maybe they are actually being accurate. Anything less or more is not technically HD.

Varion

They might well have shipped it and just not updated the status. Myself and a bunch of others in the thread had ours switch from 'preparing for dispatch' to 'dispatched on the 13th September' today all of a sudden so...yeah. If it's showing it should arrive on the 19th, it should arrive on the 19th.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Mine says shipped, but UPS says a label has been created and that's it. Still says Friday for arrival though. I seem to remember this happening with my last iPad too. Like they hide the shipping so it doesn't get robbed or something.

Vyer

I'm in the same boat. Having doubts it'll be here Friday.

You guys do the UPS thing? Go to ups.com and click on Tracking. Then click on Track By Reference on the next page. Put in the phone number tied to your Apple order. Then just hit track.

Apple.com still shows Preparing for Shipment but the UPS page is showing that it's finally 'departed' from nashville and on schedule for Friday delivery.

UPS was just showing the shipping label for me up until some time in the last hour.

Couleurs

I'm in the same boat. Having doubts it'll be here Friday.

If Apple says it'll be there Friday, it'll be there Friday. A lack of status update just likely means yours is coming from a stash that's already in the US, or it is being sent overnight.

Apple and Amazon are pretty much the only companies I 100% trust with shipping stuff on release dates.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
T-Mobile has a policy where you can't cancel preorders, all you can do is return it once it has shipped. So I'm not sure what you did to cancel it.

Called their customer service and asked a guy to cancel it because the status was back ordered.

I looked up the order number and it says cancelled in their system...

If they end up shipping it tomorrow, I certainly won't complain. That means I won't have to wake up super early and go camp a local shop.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How do you pre-order on the t-mobile website without a plan? Is there no way to just buy the phone unlocked?

Why in the world would a service provider have any interest in selling you a device without a service plan? I suppose you could just buy the phone with a plan and cancel the service immediately, but you'd probably have to pay for the first month at least.

I think you have to go to an Apple store to buy a device outright without some kind of service agreement.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

"Retina" has always been about pixel density and not resolution.

The iPhone 6 Plus is their highest PPI yet at 401.

326 PPI was their highest previously with every phone since the 4, as well as the iPad Mini.

Full sized iPads with Retina have a PPI of 264, and Retina MacBooks go from 227 at 13" to 220 at 15".

With that said, it makes no sense to call the 6 "HD" since it has the same PPI as past devices. Maybe they are simply talking about 720p and 1080p...

You guys do the UPS thing? Go to ups.com and click on Tracking. Then click on Track By Reference on the next page. Put in the phone number tied to your Apple order. Then just hit track.

Apple.com still shows Preparing for Shipment but the UPS page is showing that it's finally 'departed' from nashville and on schedule for Friday delivery.

UPS was just showing the shipping label for me up until some time in the last hour.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

God. Damn. It.

It says "Shipped/Billed on: 9/15" but it says "Ready for UPS" like it hasn't even been picked up yet.

Fuchsdh

They're HD because the overall resolution is now greater than 720p on both phones, maybe, but it could also just be what they're calling the new sRGB IPS displays themselves to differentiate them from the old ones.

You were right, that worked. Thanks! Was sent from China a few hours ago.

sangreal

you can also just sign up for ups mychoice (free) and get notified whenever anyone creates a shipping label with your name and address

I love my leather case. It's on its last leg but it protected my phone from two major drops and adds hardly any weight to the device. Price sucks but I recommend it.

Nice! That sounds good, I just hate taking a slim phone and having to put it in a case that obstructs that design.

Cse

Banned
"Retina" has always been about pixel density and not resolution.

The iPhone 6 Plus is their highest PPI yet at 401.

326 PPI was their highest previously with every phone since the 4, as well as the iPad Mini.

Full sized iPads with Retina have a PPI of 264, and Retina MacBooks go from 227 at 13" to 220 at 15".

With that said, it makes no sense to call the 6 "HD" since it has the same PPI as past devices. Maybe they are simply talking about 720p and 1080p...

As you mentioned, the iPhone 6 has the same pixel density as the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, and 5s, yet it sports a "Retina HD" screen, so it can't be about pixel density.

So, presumably, it would be about the resolution of the panels, yet the iPads have featured resolutions higher than 1080p for years, yet they're still promoted as having"Retina" displays.

I just think it's confusing marketing. You're going to have casual customers asking when the iPads are going to be upgraded with "Retina HD" displays, when they've actually been sporting resolutions higher than 1080p for quite some time.

lexi

Banned
Retina HD could also apply to tech like dual domain pixels or the new polariser, it doesn't have to mean anything.

Top Bottom