• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

bodine1231

For me:

I can pair my Ipad Air with the 6. The 6 is more portable, fits well in my pocket, less weird looking when putting it next to your ear when making a call.

For the 6+ I won't need an Ipad Air anymore and sell it, can go for the 128GB config and go all out, 1080p screen, better battery/camera.

So for Friday's launch I will go for the Golden 128GB 6+ or 6, whichever they have available.

As someone who's owned both the Note 2 and 3 I can tell you that the 6+ will definitely NOT replace your full sized Ipad. The extra size is nice when compared to other phones but is still too small against a full tablet,especially if you read comics or play games (Hearthstone).

BSsBrolly

Banned
Just got my shipment confirmation email, my phone should be here tomorrow! Crazy, after preordering, I thought I was out of luck until mid October at the earliest..

ZeroX03

Banned
As someone who's owned both the Note 2 and 3 I can tell you that the 6+ will definitely NOT replace your full sized Ipad. The extra size is nice when compared to other phones but is still too small against a full tablet,especially if you read comics or play games (Hearthstone).

I've had so many friends upgrade to big phones/Android tablets in anticipation for Hearthstone. It's nuts. I have a friend who'll probably grab a Note 4 just for a big screen to play it on the go.

And yeah I figured the 6 Plus would be big enough that'd it take over my iPad Mini duties, and that I'd probably grab the next iPad Air to replace it.

bodine1231

I've had so many friends upgrade to big phones/Android tablets in anticipation for Hearthstone. It's nuts. I have a friend who'll probably grab a Note 4 just for a big screen to play it on the go.

And yeah I figured the 6 Plus would be big enough that'd it take over my iPad Mini duties, and that I'd probably grab the next iPad Air to replace it.

I can see the Plus/Note replacing a mini but not the full ipad. I still feel cramped doing things on the Note that are a breeze on a full sized tablet. But yeah, Apple killed the mini with the Plus.

Psykoboy2

This now shows up on my UPS tracking. Still says the phone is in transit and on time to be delivered tomorrow, but this has me curious.

We've requested a UPS Proactive Response intercept for this package. / Your package will be delivered to an alternate address.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ummm, holy shit at this app, Vizzywig 4K. Costs $1000. Hands-on here. Shoots 4K video at 24fps.

Unlike a lot of these video apps though, the footage looks damn good. Better than anything I've seen from a phone. I'd never pay $1000 for an app, but Jesus you could get me into the $50-100 range because I could think of places to use this professionally.

Ummm, holy shit at this app, Vizzywig 4K. Hands-on here. Costs $1000. Shoots 4K video at 24fps.

Unlike a lot of these video apps though, the footage looks damn good. Better than anything I've seen from a phone. I'd never pay $1000 for an app, but Jesus you could get me into the $50-100 range because I could think of places to use this professionally.

This seems like something that wouldn't be entirely crazy to recreate for a lot cheaper.

So it's capturing stills one at a time and recording the sound separately? I get the concept but I still don't understand why it's a $1000. What made the development of this app a lot more expensive than 99% of what is out there already?

Enco

Ummm, holy shit at this app, Vizzywig 4K. Hands-on here. Costs $1000. Shoots 4K video at 24fps.

Impressive but lol at $1000.

Just buy a decent camera for that price. Insane that someone would spend that much on a phone app.

ZeroX03

Banned
This seems like something that wouldn't be entirely crazy to recreate for a lot cheaper.

So it's capturing stills one at a time and recording the sound separately? I get the concept but I still don't understand why it's a $1000. What made the development of this app a lot more expensive than 99% of what is out there already?

Yeah it's essentially doing 24 photos a second w/ audio.

The development of the app probably wasn't expensive (he did have some industry professionals beta testing and advising him though), but it's more that you can't get a device that shoots quality 4K footage for that sort of price. Most bodies alone would cost more than a grand, and then you need lenses, batteries, storage, etc. He's offering decent-ish 4K at what's technically a low price.

Everyone does agree the price is ridiculous and it's a challenge to other app developers to do the same at a lower price. He should really drop it sub-$100.

Impressive but lol at $1000.

Just buy a decent camera for that price. Insane that someone would spend that much on a phone app.

It's the 4K part that's a tough one. Even the Axiom Beta and Blackmagic 4K are 3x the price of the app lol.

Again not saying anyone should buy at that price, but if it were cheaper it would be a great tool to have for quick quality video / supplementary shots, that sort of thing.

Vyer

Techcrunch takes the new iphones to Disneyland.

The battery life situation is always a sticky one in the parks. Because there is no WiFi, everyone fights for a slice of the cellular spectrum to upload Instagram pics, browse the web in line and watch Apple keynote videos.

I used the iPhone 6 Plus for two days straight at Disneyland without charging it once and still had 16% battery life left. The iPhone 6 did very well too, with 32% left after a single day of use, but the 6 Plus was definitely a beast.

Carton

I can see the Plus/Note replacing a mini but not the full ipad. I still feel cramped doing things on the Note that are a breeze on a full sized tablet. But yeah, Apple killed the mini with the Plus.

For me, it doesn't even take the place of a Mini. I've owned both a Note 1 and Note 2 (current phone) and still find browsing/reading textbooks on Nexus 7/Dell Venue Pro 8/iPad Mini much more comfortable (i.e. never a need for zooming nor 'mobile' mode).

F@%k! Got a call from Tmobile last night saying my order from last Friday was cancelled by mistake. This was right after receiving an email saying I would get it Friday. Called back today and said all they can do is resubmit the order and it would come in 3+ weeks. Screw them, now I gotta figure out what to do.

kaskade

Checked my FedEx number this morning and it's finally moving from where it's been the past 4 days to my local facility. 1 more day.

I enjoyed that Tech Crunch article there too. Nice real world use.

BSsBrolly

Banned
F@%k! Got a call from Tmobile last night saying my order from last Friday was cancelled by mistake. This was right after receiving an email saying I would get it Friday. Called back today and said all they can do is resubmit the order and it would come in 3+ weeks. Screw them, now I gotta figure out what to do.

Fuck that. I'd switch carriers over that.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
This is the kind of shit posted around Perth (my hometown).
EZwRIS5.jpg

billeh

That's bullshit. I'd demand they hold one in a local store that would have otherwise gone to non-preorders. That, or take me money elsewhere.

You do know Apple are offering battery replacement for iPhone 5.

I do, but i can only go on the weekends to an Apple store and every time i check for appointments to the genius bar it's all booked up for days in advance. Plus, i'm getting rid of the phone to Sprint it seems. Let them deal with it : P

Cancelled by mistake?

Shouldn't they give you priority? They know they fucked up and cancelled the order. There must be a backup?

That's shit.

jcm

I've heard nothing from Tmobile regarding my preorders. It's pissing me off. Just give me a date so I understand what's happening.

I've heard nothing from Tmobile regarding my preorders. It's pissing me off. Just give me a date so I understand what's happening.

Same shit is happening with me and Bell in Canada. They charged my credit card and I haven't even received an order number yet. They said it would only be a couple of business days and it has been a week.

Got my shipping confirmation overnight. Both my phone, and my girlfriend's, are on track for delivery tomorrow. The funny thing is, we live in Nashville. The phones arrived here, then had to be shipped to Louisville, only to ship them back here for deliver tomorrow. Logistics!

I ordered a regular 6, space gray 64GB on Sunday the 14th in-person at the AT&T store and my order status is "preparing to ship" even though the estimated shipping date is still 10/13/14 - 10/31/14.

I guess that's good?

Verizon stores I've called about Day1 availability have told me
1) They don't know how many until the day of (Sounds like total BS)
2) They've been told not to say how many (Sounds like something shady)

Anyone ITT work at a store and can comment on Day1 availability, preferably with regard to the different models and configurations?

Deku Tree

so hows AT&T 6+ folks doing :(

AT&T order @ 4am EST on Sept. 12:
Preorder Processing
Expected Ship Date: 10/02/2014 To 10/13/2014

My wife's 6 ordered at the same time is coming tomorrow.

I should have just ordered from Apple. I think they are shorting all their partners in terms of supply.

OMG GUYS!!! MY ORDER IS PREPRARING FOR SHIPMENT!!!

vwMin.gif

I was part of the Oct. 1-6 Shipment so who knows when it'll deliver now if it's already preparing for shipment.

Also, I've never been so happy to see such a huge sum of cash being charged on my card. It's so beautiful. ;-;

I tried that, they said the stores are all independently owned and the stupid hold is still on my credit card. I was switching to them from ATT because I've been pissed at ATT over my wireless bill and my Uverse bill they keep jacking up. UGH!

subrock

Oct 16th pleb here with my hope slightly rising thanks to others in this thread. It'll stop mattering in about a week even if it ships early as I'll be in Europe.

Corgi

Banned
AT&T order @ 4am EST on Sept. 12:
Preorder Processing
Expected Ship Date: 10/02/2014 To 10/13/2014

My wife's 6 ordered at the same time is coming tomorrow.

I should have just ordered from Apple. I think they are shorting all their partners in terms of supply.

same :(

really curious how long the cancel process takes if I luck out and find a iphone 6+ at an apple store on friday.

Seems like you can't use AT&T next twice on the same line.

BSsBrolly

Banned
So does anyone know if the phone comes with a new sim card if ordered from AT&T? I'm still using the same one from my iPhone 4S. Don't think it has LTE capabilities..

RkOwnage

My order status on verizon wireless.com still says preorder received but no delivery date yet. I'll take my chances on apples website next time. Don't know why I bothered to order from Verizon in the first place.

Top Bottom