• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

big_z

I hope we see teardowns in the next few days and some better pics to that show off the colors better. it seems like the silver bands blend in best.

What are the prices unlocked? Because i will never, ever buy on contract.

Also lol scogoth.

about 900 for a 6, 1000 for a 6+ 64GB models. like you I don't do contracts anymore and this is hard to swallow.

Oh nice! I never even knew about that app. How quickly do they usually sell out?

if the online store sells out don't crap your pants, you could walk into an apple store and buy a 5s at launch at most stores problem. I would imagine the same will apply for the 6.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Fuck getting owned by Apple's Storage Price Gouging. I'm getting a 16GB unlocked 6+. iTunes Match saves my ass on storage. If I didn't have that I'd need the 128GB ;_;

Phonearena has a nifty size comparison app on their website. I'm not sure if anyone linked it earlier in this thread or not.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-6/phones/8346

NEWS FLASH: The 6 plus is fucking huge.

Hit layered at the bottom and it'll overlay any other phone so you can see the size difference and you can calibrate it with any phone you have on you to really get a feel for how it compares.

Mother of god, my whole phone fits within that screen.

I'll need to see these in person before i make a decision.

lupinko

I've been at work all day and plus I'm in Japan so I missed a lot. But does anyone know if apple put all the LTE bands in this time? The specs portion of the site didn't explain it all that clear.

While I would love to buy off contract when I visit home in Vancouver this month or buy it through a relative's contract, the idea of using 3G in Japan again is terrible. I'm using that or HSPA+ or whatever on my North American unlocked 5.

And the Japanese iPhones are all locked and the phones usually are not subsidized for us foreigners with no Japanese credit cards.

Phonearena has a nifty size comparison app on their website. I'm not sure if anyone linked it earlier in this thread or not.

Hit layered at the bottom and it'll overlay any other phone so you can see the size difference and you can calibrate it with any phone you have on you to really get a feel for how it compares.

Basically exactly the same size as the OnePlus One I currently use and I love the size of that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
6+ seems too big, too heavy and with too big bezels. It lacks the proportional elegance of normal 6. I was thinking about it, and while I probably don't mind the size that much, I would find the weight off-putting compared to lightness of 5/5s. Even in terms of size, I think would feel like a bit of an idiot every time I talk on it.

Basically exactly the same size as the OnePlus One I currently use and I love the size of that.
I think it's bigger. It's bigger than Note 4 even. Also OnePlus and Note justify the size better with a bigger screen. Just checked, 6+ is also a bit heavier than Oneplus.

lupinko

I hope we see teardowns in the next few days and some better pics to that show off the colors better. it seems like the silver bands blend in best.

about 900 for a 6, 1000 for a 6+ 64GB models. like you I don't do contracts anymore and this is hard to swallow.

if the online store sells out don't crap your pants, you could walk into an apple store and buy a 5s at launch at most stores problem. I would imagine the same will apply for the 6.

I thought it was 128gb now for the 64gb's price?

I think I'll just save up for iPhone 6s+.

6+ seems too big, too heavy and with too big bezels. It lacks the proportional elegance of normal 6. I was thinking about it, and while I probably don't mind the size that much, I would find the weight off-putting compared to lightness of 5/5s. Even in terms of size, I think would feel like a bit of an idiot every time I talk on it.

I think it's bigger. It's bigger than Note 4 even. Also OnePlus and Note justify the size better with a bigger screen.

It it barely bigger using that overlay and the OnePlus and iPhone 6 Plus both have 5.5" screens.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if I can preorder with Verizon Edge...

I'm gonna get a silver 6 I think. I'm not sure I can handle how big the 6+ is.

Kanyon

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread but the Australian prices for this is a fucking rort. It's $499 for the 128GB 5.5" model in the US but we have to pay $1249 for the same model? Even using currency conversion it translates to $544, the local price is more than double that!

Was keen to try an iPhone again with the larger screen, but that price is fucking ridiculous.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread but the Australian prices for this is a fucking rort. It's $499 for the 128GB 5.5" model in the US but we have to pay $1249 for the same model? Even using currency conversion it translates to $544, the local price is more than double that!

Was keen to try an iPhone again with the larger screen, but that price is fucking ridiculous.

$499 is the on contract price. If you guys are paying more than double and it's on contract then that sucks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It it barely bigger using that overlay and the OnePlus and iPhone 6 Plus both have 5.5" screens.
Sorry, I meant bigger screen relative to body size.
Also, I think 6+ is noticeably bigger, and also a bit heavier:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Ap...ne-6-Plus_id8908/size/OnePlus-One/phones/8603
When you get to that size range, every bit matters IMO.

What I really don't like about 6+ visually however, is how it's literally like a zoomed up 6. Could they not have kept the smaller bezel sizes of 6, and just increased the screen size?

Shaneus

Just noticed on all the demo screens used for each phone, the time is exactly the same on all... 9:41am. I wonder if that's a reference to something?

Also, sticking with getting a 5S. The 6 and 6+ are too big IMO.

3N16MA

Banned
XZgDPol.png

I'm going to have quite the upgrade.

BearPawB

Banned
What I really don't like about 6+ however, is how it's literally like a zoomed up 6. Could they not have kept the smaller bezel sizes of 6, and just increased the screen size?

I think a lot of that space is taken up by the additional camera hardware up top

Garou

I've been at work all day and plus I'm in Japan so I missed a lot. But does anyone know if apple put all the LTE bands in this time? The specs portion of the site didn't explain it all that clear.

While I would love to buy off contract when I visit home in Vancouver this month or buy it through a relative's contract, the idea of using 3G in Japan again is terrible. I'm using that or HSPA+ or whatever on my North American unlocked 5.

And the Japanese iPhones are all locked and the phones usually are not subsidized for us foreigners with no Japanese credit cards.

Buy an unlocked one through the Japanese (online-) Apple-Store?

Sorry, I meant bigger screen relative to body size.
Also, I think 6+ is noticeably bigger, and also a bit heavier:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Ap...ne-6-Plus_id8908/size/OnePlus-One/phones/8603
When you get to that size range, every bit matters IMO.

What I really don't like about 6+ visually however, is how it's literally like a zoomed up 6. Could they not have kept the smaller bezel sizes of 6, and just increased the screen size?

Just different schools of thought between us is all. I look at it and say that .2" is that sizable of a difference considering that my OnePlus fits in my pockets with room to spare. I also have oddly gotten pretty good at one handing a phone that size, although I'm 6'2" with pretty good sized hands so I'm sure that helps. Do I wish they could have found a way to shrink the footprint of the 6 Plus? Of course, but after using a phone basically that size I don't find it obnoxious. I was actually someone who never understood why people wanted anything bigger than a 3.5" or 4" iPhone until I tried a phone in the 5"+ range. Now I could never go back, in fact I still have an iPhone 5 that looks and feels like a children's toy in my hand after owning something bigger.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Even so, it cuts off an extra step of getting your card out and just having to carry extra stuff with you. If I can just carry only my phone with me and not my wallet, I would love it
It's not an extra step though. It's the same step, just probably a bit slower as it requires a touch id, as the credit card paypass doesn't. I mean you can just carry a card or two in a dedicated pocket and that's basically it, you'd be paying for things at the same speed if not faster. You'd still probably need a wallet for whatever else you normally have in it, like health card, drivers license or whatever else. I do agree that if you use a lot of cards, this could make things easier, but I pay for most things with just one.

Hmmm. Best Buy is offering $240 for a 64GB iPhone 5. That means only about $60 to upgrade to a 64gb iPhone 6. Tempting. But I kinda want to see a 6+ in person first.

Kanyon

$499 is the on contract price. If you guys are paying more than double and it's on contract then that sucks.

Ah I see, that clarifies it a little bit - $499 on contract is still pretty steep. The way we get phones here is you either pay $5/$10 extra on top of the monthly plan. Outright phones here are expensive as fuck. I believe the $1249 price on Apple Australia is for unlocked outright and not on a plan. I assume plans for iPhone 6 will probably be in the $80 - $120 per month range.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hahaha what a crappy resolution.

Shame it will still sell shitloads.
Resolution wars on phones are total BS, worse than megapixel wars with cameras. I literally can't remember last time I looked at iPhone 5 screen and thought "if only pixels on this were smaller, so that I can't see them...". Because I couldn't see them, except on a select few games that didn't use any antialiasing. Can you say that you have? If not, then what's the point of wanting even higher resolution, when all it will accomplish is taxing GPU more to render something at it?

Hahaha what a crappy resolution.

Shame it will still sell shitloads.

To which are you referring? The 6 or the 6 Plus?

As crazy as it might sound, about half of my 100GB music library isn't on Spotify. outside of music, I only need 16GB and iTunes Match solves that problem.

I completely filled my 64GB 5s with photos and saved music from Google Play Music All Access, so I'm tempted by the 128GB models.

5" is the sweet spot. 4" is annoyingly small and 5.5" is annoyingly clunky and awkward. 5" is just perfect.

The 6 didn't impress me enough to make it a clear winner for me. I'll wait a bit and see what everyone else has to offer and play around with Android L and iOS 8 a bit before deciding.

Husker86

Resolution wars on phones are total BS, worse than megapixel wars with cameras. I literally can't remember last time I looked at iPhone 5 screen and thought "if only pixels on this were smaller, so that I can't see them...". Because I couldn't see them, except on a select few games that didn't use any antialiasing. Can you say that you have? If not, then what's the point of wanting even higher resolution, when all it will accomplish is taxing GPU more to render something at it?

While I will still probably get the 4.7" iPhone over the 5.5", I can say that yes, I can notice 720p on that size phone.

The difference in pixel density between my Nexus 5 and Nexus 4/iPhone 5s is noticeable. It's not terrible, but I am firmly in the 1080p camp for phones that size (well, for 4" 720p would be fine, just a bit more than the 5s).

I still don't get Apple is charging so much for the memory upgrades still. I thought I heard they were going to to $50 upgrades for the extra memory.

What the hell happened?

thenexus6

I don't think the 6 is that gimped compared to the 6 plus.

Smaller screen - lower resolution - no turning landscape on the home screen etc
Smaller battery
No OIS for camera

Thats it right? The CPU and everything else is the same.

aznpxdd

Um, yeah, 1080p vs. 720p on a 4.7" is absolutely noticeable. Not saying 720p looks bad, but full HD just looks much more crisper.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This may have already been discussed, but what's the rumored RAM for the 6 plus?

1 GB seems a bit disappointing, but at the same time I have a 5S, and haven't noticed any issues with things loading. Crashes every now and then but not too regular.

5S is a great phone, still wondering if I should go for the larger screen. Got rid of my iPad this week so I can just replace it with the 5.5 inch screen, but was hoping for more RAM so it would be a longer-term solution.

Dunno if it's a good idea to upgrade now or not...decisions.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't think the 6 is that gimped compared to the 6 plus.

Smaller screen - lower resolution - no turning landscape on the home screen etc
Smaller battery
No OIS for camera

Thats it right? The CPU and everything else is the same.
On the other hand, 6 is lighter, has smaller bezel sizes compared to 5 (as opposed to 6+ which has them same or even larger than on 5) and 6 also apparently has a better screen contrast compared to 6+, as per Apple's page.

Um, yeah, 1080p vs. 720p on a 4.7" is absolutely noticeable. Not saying 720p looks bad, but full HD just looks much more crisper.
Depends on screen tech more than anything, IMO. if you have pentile OLED 720p vs normal OLED or LCD 1080p, then yeah, it's noticeable. Comparing between same screen techs, it's nowhere near that, especially when some good AA is used on text like iOS is using. When there's no AA used, then yeah, it's again quite noticeable, but practically everything uses AA nowadays.

Mononoke

Banned
I've just decided to get the 5.5. Fuck it. I really do feel like this is going to replace my tablet though. =/ Although I'll probably still prefer watching video on my iPad mini. But for browsing and doing everything else, I'll probably start relying more on the 6 +

Vooduu

I still don't get Apple is charging so much for the memory upgrades still. I thought I heard they were going to to $50 upgrades for the extra memory.

What the hell happened?
I'm guessing carriers like this pricing model better.

Space grey 128GB iPhone 6+ for me and 16GB iPhone 6 for my Dad's bday present. Plus a silicone case at $40.

I'm looking at $740 before tax. God fucking dammit Apple.

Edit: how the hell are your phones crashing? My i5 is low as hell on memory and I still run smooth as butter everyday.

Top Bottom