• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think the S versions get less traffic. I remember the 4 had people lined up for weeks.

numbered gets traffic from the mainstream

s gets traffic from the geeks

numbered usually is the form factor change... especially when it's new and sexy, it's usually the phone that will draw people in.

s is usually the bigger guts upgrade.. Big OpenGL upgrades in 3GS and 4s. 64-bit upgrade in 5s. touch id and secure enclave in 5s. etc.

funny because I've always upgraded on the s (with my first iPhone being 3GS). This is the first time I've been contemplating going 12 months to upgrade.. but ultimately decided I am going to want the s version and don't want the hassle of selling a 6 next year.

If you, after 2 years, somehow managed to keep a black and slate 5 in truly mint condition with no case or protector, then I must applaud you; you are a god among men.

the back would be godly. the chamfers would make him immortal.

Vooduu

Same here, brother. Filled out a reservation at best buy mobile but I'm not sure it makes a difference.

I'm doubting these rumors of stock being that limited. It seems like that for every single iPhone release.

Being that I'm going for the highest tier model, I think I should be able to snatch a 6+ 128GB, even if there is a low amount.

The only thing is, as someone pointed out to me on MacRumors, is that the ATT Next shit and other plans like it might sway people who normally don't go for expensive models to get them.

Sobriquet

If you, after 2 years, somehow managed to keep a black and slate 5 in truly mint condition with no case or protector, then I must applaud you; you are a god among men.

I'm still on a 4, but it's in mint condition. My wife's black 5 is mint as well, but she uses a case. She's clumsy, though. :D

mandiller

I just started lining up at an Apple store in Australia. Three hours to go and there's about 600 people here and a crazy lining snaking it's way out of the shopping centre and into the car park.

Vyer

If i sold my three year old 4S right now, people would think it looks new, and it's had no protector the whole time.

I don't want to say a protector is a placebo, because it does offer some protection, but I think protector-users underestimate the invulnerability of modern screens.

I haven't used a screen protector for my last 3 phones. I will say however that when I did my phones were truly 'mint' condition. Even any small, very light can-only-find-in-a-reflection scratches were non existent. That hasn't happened since I stopped using them. Some people may be more sensitive to them than others though.

And then one time I was working in the garage and some oil or grease didn't come all the way off my hands when I washed them and it fucked up my screen real nice. I did kinda wish I had a protector then.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm still on a 4, but it's in mint condition. My wife's black 5 is mint as well, but she uses a case. She's clumsy, though. :D

ahhhhhhh.. yeah, my 4s was gorgeous without any case, ever.

5/5s is a whole different beast. back is really difficult to keep mint. the side chamfers are, I'm just going to say literally, impossible. I have never seen one 5/5s that didn't have at least a ding or two on the edges.... :\

IronRinn

If i sold my three year old 4S right now, people would think it looks new, and it's had no protector the whole time.

I don't want to say a protector is a placebo, because it does offer some protection, but I think protector-users underestimate the invulnerability of modern screens.

I got a good, quarter inch scratch on the screen on my 4 within the first week I had it. Won't go without a screen protector again after that.

both my phones will be in my hands tomorrow! The one from Apple has shipped today(ordered 9am) and Best Buy has called me today saying my iphone is ready to pick up tomorrow.

Woot!

I'm super excited about the camera on the iPhone 6. As a travel writer, I've always been reluctant to not carry a real camera with me when on assignment. But I'm starting to feel like this is a non-issue with the newer iPhones. It doesn't have the proper zooms of a real camera, and it'll never replace my DSLR, but I think I can give up my basic point and shoots moving forward.

I might have to give the Olioclip a go when they have one available for the iPhone 6.

FinKL

Fucking Christ... not what I want to hear. I've got about five T-Mobile stores that I'm going to be calling this evening to ask about inventory. Hopefully they don't bullshit me.

I'm in for a 6 Plus in either Silver or Space Gray at 64GB/128GB. Plan on leaving the house at like 4 A.M. and lining up at one of the locations that will most likely have stock. Probably a shopping mall store.

I realize the 6 is more popular than previous releases, but doing this for the 4S and 5S in the past proved to not be an issue at all. Most people didn't even start arriving until an hour before the shops were to open.

Same situation as you, but T-Mobile stores will not be carrying 64/128 iPhones. They never have previously and won't start now. I've called various stores and also saw it posted somewhere in macrumors forum that the stores always get the base model and if you want higher up, have to do it through online ordering.

Vooduu

I'm super excited about the camera on the iPhone 6. As a travel writer, I've always been reluctant to not carry a real camera with me when on assignment. But I'm starting to feel like this is a non-issue with the newer iPhones. It doesn't have the proper zooms of a real camera, and it'll never replace my DSLR, but I think I can give up my basic point and shoots moving forward.

I might have to give the Olioclip a go when they have one available for the iPhone 6.

Did you see the Verge Iceland shoot? Fucking gorgeous.

Only if you go cheap/aren't skilled.

I can't put them on without leaving at least one dust mote or tiny bubble of air in there and it drives me crazy so i eventually pull it off again. I've tried every trick (hot shower to create humid bathroom, etc.) and I've never gotten a perfect application.I'm not even going to bother this time.

MicH

I have also always had the S versions (3GS, 4S) so this is the first time breaking that. I skipped 5S because my 4S was still running really well, but it's definitely time to give it up. I'm excited!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Same situation as you, but T-Mobile stores will not be carrying 64/128 iPhones. They never have previously and won't start now. I've called various stores and also saw it posted somewhere in macrumors forum that the stores always get the base model and if you want higher up, have to do it through online ordering.

Wow, what an awful state of affairs for me. Never should have cancelled that pre-order, I guess.

In previous years, I've been with Verizon, so it was no big deal getting 64GB models. Didn't know T-Mobile only went for the base model. 16GB is just unacceptable.

HUELEN10

I can't put them on without leaving at least one dust mote or tiny bubble of air in there and it drives me crazy so i eventually pull it off again. I've tried tried every trick (hot shower to create humid bathroom, etc.) and I've never gotten a perfect application.I'm not even going to bother this time.
The trick is to keep the faucet running hot, have a good squeegee, have some 2-inch strips of Scotch satin gift wrap tape at the ready, and my secret formula:

13 Parts 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, 5 parts distilled water (85 degree Fahrenheit), 1 part Natural Finish Detailer Protectant From Armor All, and 1 part something else.

Makes it a dream to reposition and squeegee.

Sobriquet

What happened to Apple ban on screen protectors? I noticed they're back up on the site.

how long does it take for att to see upgrade eligibility again if i cancel my iphone order from apple on apple website?

Yeesh, I dunno. I did the opposite. I called AT&T and I was instantly eligible for an upgrade through Apple. I made the guy wait on the phone while I ordered through Apple. :p

I'm wondering if I should cancel my Bell order and just buy an unlocked phone from Apple at this point. I just wish Bell would give me an estimate on my 6 Plus but I have a feeling it's going to be bad since I ordered on Sunday.

Enzom21

The Plus seems to be so constrained that even though i'm number 12 on the wait list with my carrier, I won't be surprised if I don't get it Friday.

There are reports that Apple is still producing the 6 4 to 1 over the plus which makes no sense. It also seems like iPhones with the white front face are what Apple is pushing and they most likely made more of those as well.

There are reports that Apple is still producing the 6 4 to 1 over the plus which makes no sense. It also seems like iPhones with the white front face are what Apple is pushing and they most likely made more of those as well.

I'm looking for a white plus 64GB so maybe I'll get lucky at an Apple Store tomorrow

The regular 6 in 128gb config is only 7-10 days on Apple.ca

Damn.

Sobriquet

I think the latter is just because two colors have a white face while only one has the black face.

Iacobellis

Any chances stores other than Apple will carry the leather cases? I remember Target used to stock a few Apple Bumpers for the 4 and 4S.

I'm doubting these rumors of stock being that limited. It seems like that for every single iPhone release.

Being that I'm going for the highest tier model, I think I should be able to snatch a 6+ 128GB, even if there is a low amount.

The only thing is, as someone pointed out to me on MacRumors, is that the ATT Next shit and other plans like it might sway people who normally don't go for expensive models to get them.
It's very believable to me this year, because up until a few days before the reveal, it was rumored that Apple was going to delay the 6 Plus by a month or two, because of screen production issues. Apparently they decided to ship it anyways, but only a small amount.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I shouldn't have bought this case so early.

It sits there, empty. Taunting me.

Pretty much everyone in this thread tomorrow:

oPMVrna.jpg

Vooduu

What makes you say that?

Because those are usually stocked to the brim. Only time an official Apple case was relatively hard to get was the original iPhone 4 bumper in black or white. Even if they stocked them at Wal-Mart, nobody there is going to buy a $50 slim case.

Bacon

People are getting really insane on the macrumors forum. I should start recording some of this stuff.

Edit: Point Proven:

Feeling emotional in less than 24 hour
I will finally have the iPhone 6 in my hands. I have to say that my anxieties got the best of me the la few days, but I'm doing better as I type this. What would you do first once you get your phone? I'd probably look at the box for a while before I open it.

HUELEN10

Honestly, with all these carrier fuckups I keep hearing about, I doubt I will ever buy an iPhone from anything other than Apple at this point.

MicH

In a little more than 2 hours it's time to stat slaying some servers here in Denmark as the iPhones finally are able to be preordered! Wooo!

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Same. Never used a case or screen protector, though.

Yeah I'm going to call bullshit on that. Without taking extraordinary precautions there is no way a case-less phone does not get any scratches or dings especially on the edges. I've tried before and every time small blemishes and marks slowly accumulate no matter how careful I am.

Fuchsdh

You people are quite intrepid to buy cases when you have to trust the producer got their hands on legitimate and final dimensions :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yep. I won't have a need to get an iPad with the 6 Plus.

I think this is perhaps how people are justifying the choice but I hope it works out for them. There is the risk that it is too big for a phone, but too small as a tablet.

Of course a big phone might then encourage you to get an Apple watch...

Sobriquet

Yeah I'm going to call bullshit on that. Without taking extraordinary precautions there is no way a case-less phone does not get any scratches or dings especially on the edges. I've tried before and every time small blemishes and marks slowly accumulate no matter how careful I am.

It has some fingerprints.

Top Bottom