• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just upgraded my work supplied 5s to iOS 8. How is this not version 7.13 or whatever? There's almost no difference. The lines for a slightly larger glass square with this on it are a testament to the apple marketing department. Bonuses all round you lot.

Considering ios 8 is out already and works on people's existing phones, I'd suggest they aren't queuing for that, but for the hardware. I share your relative ambivalence but new form factor iPhone releases are always massive.

And ios 8 is a big update, just a lot is under the hood

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Post pics
I'll try, I'm on a crap Galaxy Ace that runs like molasses.
The order of play at Meadowhall is we got moved from the in-store queue to outside the main mall entrance at 7pm, endure the elements until 4am where they'll move the queue into the fire exit by the side of the store. If you're in the first 100 you're safe inside, the rest spills out into the car park. At 6:30 the guys come out with reservation cards so you're allocated a phone. At about 7ish Starbucks and Krispy Kreme come down serving freebies while stocks last.
About this point there'll be cheering coming from inside the store and there'll be a tangible sense of excitement. Then at 8 the doors open and you'll be let in in batches and applauded by the staff for being a slave to consumerism!

Psykoboy2

Stopped by AT&T for a look at their cases for the 6 Plus.

Fuck that noise!

Nothing under $30 and those were the slip on cases. I'll just stick with Amazon and get something better for $10 cheaper or more.

BFIB

Just called T-Mobile. He said they will be carrying the silver and black models, in 16/64GB variants in store. Only 128 GB can be ordered online.

Now to make the decision to go up there.....I'm torn.

Einbroch

Banned
Man, I was already to move from my 5 to the 6 because my battery has sucked lately and my power buttom kept getting stuck. My screen is also loose. I called up Apple because why not, and they asked for my serial number. I told them, and they said they'd fix all three problems for free.

Thanks Apple! That's awesome. I'm stoked that I don't have to pay $700 for a new phone. Will definitely get the 6++ next year, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just called T-Mobile. He said they will be carrying the silver and black models, in 16/64GB variants in store. Only 128 GB can be ordered online.

Now to make the decision to go up there.....I'm torn.

The decision is already made! Head on over!

Stay away from the apple store than

I think it's more that Apple stores always get way huger lines than anywhere else. It's because people (rightfully) assume that Apple stores will get the most stock, but you'll see massive lines at an Apple store when a carrier store only has a few people.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Considering ios 8 is out already and works on people's existing phones, I'd suggest they aren't queuing for that, but for the hardware. I share your relative ambivalence but new form factor iPhone releases are always massive.

And ios 8 is a big update, just a lot is under the hood

the 'extensibility' is nice in that I can plug my lastpass passwords direct in now (only via safari until chrome catches up, but still). Other than that, I did not say wow.

I thought I read about something to do with 'enterprise features' but active sync still seems like shitty old apple mail. To be fair though, i've had a shit busy day and haven't had a chance to dive in everywhere.

Also, anecdotal but ios8 shat out my brand new(~3ish months) 5s. did the backup and tried to upgrade via windows and put it straight in restore mode (after 25 mins or something including backup). Same thing happened trying to upgrade to the last release via itunes on win8. Had a chat to the IT colleagues and they all warned me off and said 'over the air is FAAAR better' all reported bad experiences as well with itunes cable upgrade.

Umm...you'll probably notice you can do a lot more with your phone than you could before now.

which is bad

Best thing I like about iOS 8 are the developer-created keyboards. Finally iOS users can choose the best keyboard for them, rather than relying on Apple to know best.

Any T-Mobile folks get their tracking numbers yet?

Still very quiet on the T-Mobile front.
I got a text this morning saying "Check www.mytmobile.com for tracking information", but they never linked my existing prepaid account with the sale.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn... starting to really get worried now.

Called four T-Mobile stores in the area. Two were non-mall locations, and both said they don't expect any iPhone 6 Plus stock tomorrow and won't be getting any in for up to six weeks. Another was a mall location, but said they also won't get any Six Plus in for up to two weeks.

The fourth one said they weren't sure about stock yet, but that they expect to get *some* 6 Plus models in.

Bowser

My mom wants a wallet case for her Gold iPhone 6, does anyone have any recommendations?

Spigen one looks nice:

Spigen-Waller-S.png

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6/iphone-6/iphone-6-case-wallet-s-4-7.html

Hmmm. My AT&T store in the mall said they might only get 2 - 5 6 Plus's at most tomorrow. The Apple store in the mall on the otherhand, said they'd have more than enough stock of both models in all colors & gig sizes. Conflicted on where to go. I know there will be a hell of a lot more people in line at the Apple store :L

Enzom21

Hmmm. My AT&T store in the mall said they might only get 2 - 5 6 Plus's at most tomorrow. The Apple store in the mall on the otherhand, said they'd have more than enough stock of both models in all colors & gig sizes. Conflicted on where to go. I know there will be a hell of a lot more people in line at the Apple store :L

The Apple store will have a lot more in stock. For the launch of the 5 I went the day of and there was a huge line... next day, only four people ahead of me. First day frenzy should be avoided.

Go to a larger carrier store

Corgi

Banned
saw this on macrumors. shitty if true :(

I just read on Reddit that Premier orders had to be manually approved by the Premier people...and that office opened at 8AM EST on the 12th. So they're saying people with Premiwr essentially had their orders placed 5+ hours after the preorder started.

I don't know if there's any truth to this. Pretty crummy if so.

Apple really should have held off the plus til they had decent stock levels. There are going to be a lot of unhappy people today.

While they obviously underestimated the demand on the 6+, we have to cut them a little slack. We're moving into unexplored territory a bit here. No one has moved so many units of such a big phone, in such a short time period before.

Hell, I went with the 6 because I think the 6+ is jus too damn big, but after reading the reviews, there is a part of me that wants one anyway.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish I didn't want the 6 Plus.

Same. I think I might just go for the normal 6 if they are sold out. Really looking forward to getting back to iOS, especially with Yosemite coming out soon.

Same. I think I might just go for the normal 6 if they are sold out. Really looking forward to getting back to iOS, especially with Yosemite coming out soon.

Make sure you're willing to settle for the regular 6. It's a big expense. I keep thinking that I might settle but I don't want to pick something up and then regret it because it wasn't what I really wanted.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Make sure you're willing to settle for the regular 6. It's a big expense. I keep thinking that I might settle but I don't want to pick something up and then regret it because it wasn't what I really wanted.

My wife is on the 5S and will probably be looking for an upgrade next year, but I know she won't want the Plus, so I could probably just pass her my 6 and get the 6s Plus next year for myself if it really came down to it.

Enzom21

I really wish I didn't want the 6 Plus.
What color did you order? I ordered a space grey and that is not shipping until Oct. 03.
I ordered a gold plus for my mother and it will be here tomorrow.
I think they produced a lot less black iPhone Pluses.
I ordered through the phone with AT&T Premier around 10:30-11:00am ET on the 12th (iPhone 6, not 6 Plus tho) and mine's coming tomorrow.

Yeah I think they made plenty sixes.

Are the employees at my AT&T store lazy or do they really not have a clue what models will be available tomorrow? Seems like they'd have an idea what they ordered.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are the employees at my AT&T store lazy or do they really not have a clue what models will be available tomorrow? Seems like they'd have an idea what they ordered.

I've been calling a bunch of T-Mobile stores and it seems like it varies between store (and even employee) whether they know or not.

I imagine these stores staff a ton of people and only give them each a few hours a week to pay them all as little as possible, so I can totally see why many of them would not be privy to any information.

Bgamer90

Banned
saw this on macrumors. shitty if true :(

Wouldn't be surprised if that's true.

Like I said in my previous posts, people who pre-ordered hours after me are getting their Plus tomorrow. Yet I have to wait two weeks. Just really strange. Something really isn't adding up.

It is probably less about the number that they ordered, and more about what Apple allocated to them. Either that, or AT&T is getting X number of phones, and then they get divided up amongst stores based on volume, thus not everyone knowing exactly how many they are getting in.

T-mobile online order here - I just used chat-support to try and get tracking info, since I got two texts and an email saying mine would arrive on Friday. Chat support wasn't really any help - the person said my order status was "Backordered", and that a second shipment wasn't coming anytime soon. When I told the person I had received two texts and an email about getting my phone on Friday, the response was "That's weird". When I asked how *I* could look up the status to see "Backordered", the person wouldn't tell me.

Best I could get out of the person was to check t-mobile.com/orderstatus, and when I said that status said "We received your electronic signature authorization on 09/13/2014" I was told "That's because it hasn't shipped yet".

Bullza2o

Just called my local AT&T store and the rep said they don't know the actual stock numbers because they can't open the packages until tomorrow. They do have more 6 than 6+ as expected.

Top Bottom