• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

20cent

Banned
I read somewhere yesterday that Apple produces 400,000 iPhone 6's a day, while manufacturing a little over 100,000 daily for the Plus. I can guarantee the average person will be able to walk into a store and buy whatever iPhone 6 they want to in a month.

In a month?! If they really produce 400,000 units a day, I should be able to walk into a store and buy an iphone 6 (non-plus) in less than a week.

mackaveli

Do they need to now, though? The media do it for them. On every major news site here (Australia) I've seen live blogs featuring interviews with people lining up outsides stores.

That is far better than any traditional advertising.

Yeah, because Apple didn't know they were launching and had no idea about the demand - there is no way they could've planned ahead. C'mon dude.

Yes they aren't going to ramp up production 6 months ago. They started a month or two ago. Foxconn is operating at max capacity. There limit is 540,000 iPhones a day. What more do you want. Foxconn to somehow double production? And why should apple create an infinite number of iPhones. Apple has planned ahead. Please explain to me how apple could produce enough iPhones to satisfy all of the demand for day 1 and satisfy everyone.

Please provide me with a step by step approach.

badb0y

Do you really think that Apple doesn't have the power behind them to manufacture enough stock for everyone? They create the illusion of scarcity to increase demand. That is Apple Marketing 101.

Not saying they are bad for doing it - I admire them for their sheer balls when it comes to marketing strategies. Doesn't mean I can't look at people and wonder what the hell they're thinking.

Artificial scarcity alert:

http://news.investors.com/technolog...lus-in-short-supply-for-pre-orders.htm?ref=mp

No company ever does this intentionally. This is a myth made by fedora-wearing hipsters because they feel the need to hate on anything that is successful.

Husker86

Doesn't having the case on it completely remove the nice feeling of the curved glass when swiping?

I am most looking forward to that. I still use my Nexus 4 for shits and love that feature.

I'm a little worried. Phone is shipping under my sister's name because stupid ATT only allows shipment to the primary account holder. We have the same last name so UPS rep said it should be fine. Should I worry about picking up my phone tomorrow at the distribution center?

knicks

In a month?! If they really produce 400,000 units a day, I should be able to walk into a store and buy an iphone 6 (non-plus) in less than a week.

And you will I'm sure. If you order one right now online it says it will ship within a week to ten days. I just checked the actual numbers and its 400,000 iPhone 6's, and 140,000 Plus units. And those are daily figures.

Sobriquet

Doesn't having the case on it completely remove the nice feeling of the curved glass when swiping?

That's what I'm worried about. But a couple of reviews said the Plus needs a case just for grip purposes. I don't know if I can handle a case. :/

And you will I'm sure. If you order one right now online it says it will ship within a week to ten days. I just checked the actual numbers and its 400,000 iPhone 6's, and 140,000 Plus units. And those are daily figures.

Where did you find those figures? I was just looking for them.

Ambient80

Probably LTTP on this photo, but I just saw it on MacRumors a little while ago.

newyorkline.jpg

That was the line at the 14th St. Apple Store in NYC at 3:30 Eastern. I waited there overnight for the 5S last year. Got there around 11PM and the line pictured is already longer.

Hopefully the preorder line isn't too bad in the morning. I plan on getting there around 7:30.

Also, those people are clearly not prepared for a campout. Hopefully they have people bringing them stuff.

Those two girls on the left in flip-flops. Damn, their feet are going to be killing them in the morning.

I really don't understand the appeal of lining up so early to get a phone. If they wanted it so badly why didn't they just order it online?

Juice

welp, UPS Live Chat is the shit. wait was long but once I got someone they were very prompt and decisive in their answers.

My local center doesn't open until 9:30 so I'll just sit around at home for them. Was hoping to get it out of the way at around 7 or 8 but meh.

Man

I have never owned an iPhone case before but I'm considering it due to extruding camera + new sexiness.

Opinions on silicon cases? Better to hold? Large size increase? White gets dirty?

(Getting silver 4.7)

Vyer

welp, UPS Live Chat is the shit. wait was long but once I got someone they were very prompt and decisive in their answers.

My local center doesn't open until 9:30 so I'll just sit around at home for them. Was hoping to get it out of the way at around 7 or 8 but meh.

Wait...you can pick it up from them?

Servbot24

Banned
I have never owned an iPhone case before but I'm considering it due to extruding camera + new sexiness.

Opinions on silicon cases? Better to hold? Large size increase? White gets dirty?

(Getting silver 4.7)

Extruding camera is a selling point?

BunnyBear

My local Telstra store is all out of 6+'s. Supposedly they sold out before they even opened just by the line.

So I'm gonna go with a 6. At least in Australia the shortages of 6+ are legit.

Deku Tree

Do you really think that Apple doesn't have the power behind them to manufacture enough stock for everyone? They create the illusion of scarcity to increase demand. That is Apple Marketing 101.

Not saying they are bad for doing it - I admire them for their sheer balls when it comes to marketing strategies. Doesn't mean I can't look at people and wonder what the hell they're thinking.

http://news.investors.com/technolog...lus-in-short-supply-for-pre-orders.htm?ref=mp

When the iPhone 6 is going to have more market saturation in the PS4 LTD in just a few weeks or less (Maybe on day 1?) you call that artificial scarcity?

Cheech

I'm a little worried. Phone is shipping under my sister's name because stupid ATT only allows shipment to the primary account holder. We have the same last name so UPS rep said it should be fine. Should I worry about picking up my phone tomorrow at the distribution center?

It's a dice roll depending on who you get. Usually they need a photo ID, even for non signature required packages.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
If I could walk into an Apple Store and switch my Plus for a regular tomorrow I would. I wonder if I'd have better luck if I kept it sealed.

Vooduu

As long as you two have the same address.

Corgi

Banned
sigh. drove by the local AT&T store and saw 5 people in line (10pm est), yeah i have zero chance of getting a 6+ here.

sleep then!

will check out the apple store tomorrow to get hands on the bigger phone though.

my iphone 6+ case arrived though! think is like slightly smaller than my 3ds xl in area. ridonkulous

Cookie18

It's taking me forever to get through to UPS live chat. How long did everyone have to wait? I'm at 20 minutes waiting right now.

MXRider

My att is not letting anyone line up till 6am due to the plazas rules. Yet ppl sleep at best buy next door for Black Friday

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

Artificial supply constraints make no sense to anyone in the world except the conspiracists who imagine them.
Yeah, because Apple didn't know they were launching and had no idea about the demand - there is no way they could've planned ahead. C'mon dude.
What does this have to do with anything? It's not like Apple can just manufacture an unlimited supply of phones over any duration of time. We already know from the leaks approximately when manufacturing began as well as reported capacity throughout numbers. Everything lines up. We also know from reports that Apple has had a tougher time manufacturing the Plus due to the screen than the 6 which uses the same screen fabrication they've been using since the 4. We know more about the supply chain and process now than we've ever known before and nothing is there to lead one to believe there is some sort of artificial supply constraint. So please tell us where you think this is coming from and who benefits. You talk about hype needed yet they already broke pre-order records before numbers became a bit clearer in the last day or so.

scogoth

I will never understand phone frenzies.

My iPhone 4s died after being caught in the rain for and hour and half. It still worked on and off for two days after that and I leave for Asia for 3 weeks on Sunday. No way in hell I'm leaving for 3 weeks without a phone.

Just spent 4 hours waiting outside an apple store for an iphone 6 plus (I'm from Australia). Didn't even make it into the store and the iphone plus' are sold out. Basically wasted 4 hours and have to pay for parking to add insult to injury.

I will never understand phone frenzies.

I don't know either. But I got the fever...

I just feel like I really like my current phone and I'm excited to have a better version of the phone I already love. I don't upgrade every year but I do every other year.

Would be nice to have a new phone to enjoy.

Just spent 4 hours waiting outside an apple store for an iphone 6 plus (I'm from Australia). Didn't even make it into the store and the iphone plus' are sold out. Basically wasted 4 hours and have to pay for parking to add insult to injury.

yea, I'd rather just preorder and wait however long it takes to get my phone. I waited outside for my Xbox 360. Never again.

Jomjom

Banned
Has anyone who preordered from tmobile gotten a delivery date or anything yet? I havent received so much as a text message. I only know its in "Backordered" status from calling customer care. The rep told me that because the iphone doesnt release until tomorrow everyone's order says "Backordered". Sounded like BS to me.

Top Bottom