• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

btkadams

I want to see real-life pictures of the black iPhone 6 Plus. I've always gone white but lately I've admired the clean look of my boyfriend's black 5s when the screen is off. It looks like a black slate, so sleek. I ordered a black iPhone 6 Plus and hope I made the right decision. The white 6 Plus looks beautiful in the pictures I've seen.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I just got back from the Apple Store and am restoring my new iPhone 6 now. I picked up the blue silicon case and I'm impressed by the build quality. I was worried the silicon would be spongy, but it's great! It's got a sort of hard rubber feel and provides some grip.

Here's a few pics (anti-glare screen protector already applied). There were many many disappointed people wanting to buy a 6 Plus.
Oh man, this looks awesome. I've never seen this case before and now I'm set on getting one, how much was it? Hopefully it isn't too much here in the UK.

Edit: £25, pricey. Looks awesome though.

Fezan

awewDeY.jpg

Is it just me or the front glass is not aligned with body properly ? it looks un even

Sobriquet

I want to see real-life pictures of the black iPhone 6 Plus. I've always gone white but lately I've admired the clean look of my boyfriend's black 5s when the screen is off. It looks like a black slate, so sleek. I ordered a black iPhone 6 Plus and hope I made the right decision. The white 6 Plus looks beautiful in the pictures I've seen.

Go back one page :p

So my store got the two phones in as live demos. As someone who's not a fan of iPhone anymore I gotta say the 6 is fantastic looking. Perfect size, fits beautifully in the hand and is very light. Has a kinda futuristic look to the style. Makes you really feel you've bought an upgrade over the last phone.

However the 6+ is just...a mess. It has the same style but its awkward to hold, you can't one hand type with it at all. The same styling that made the 6 look so good kinda fails with the +. Can't put my finger on it but it seems cheaper looking. It was also the gold one with an awful trim for the signal bands.

The 6 I had in my hand was black. It was just pure sex.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
Just had UPS hold my iPhone 6 at the nearest customer center. Will be getting my phone promptly at 8 am tomorrow.

Juice

Are any retailers selling the cases for in store pickup tomorrow? Would much rather order late tonight and have one held than fight humans in person for them

TheZink

So my store got the two phones in as live demos. As someone who's not a fan of iPhone anymore I gotta say the 6 is fantastic looking. Perfect size, fits beautifully in the hand and is very light. Has a kinda futuristic look to the style. Makes you really feel you've bought an upgrade over the last phone.

However the 6+ is just...a mess. It has the same style but its awkward to hold, you can't one hand type with it at all. The same styling that made the 6 look so good kinda fails with the +. Can't put my finger on it but it seems cheaper looking. It was also the gold one with an awful trim for the signal bands.

Hearing this makes me happy. I was having second thoughts about my six coming tomorrow. Thinking I maybe should have gone Plus.

gsrjedi

I hope Apple releases an iPhone 6 with the same size as the 5s :/

Me too, but I know it's not going to happen. I think I'll get used to the 6, but I don't know if I'll ever love it.

I'm interested to see how Comixology & Marvel Unlimited are on the 6 & 6 Plus though. Comixology's guided reading works well for me currently, but Marvel Unlimited's version of it tends to cut words off. I tend to zoom in and scroll around to read currently when I use MU. I doubt either size will be big enough to read a full-page without discomfort for those times when I don't have my iPad. It's really the only issue I have with the screen size on my 5. Hopefully the Apple store demo units have Comixology on them with some comics ready to read.

Bgamer90

Banned

Sounds like your opinion is more so due to the different colors.

The gold version of both models is pretty ugly.

It could very well be actually. I think 4.7" screen is the perfect fit for the iPhone though. Even though its much bigger than the 5s it doesn't feel like it is. Its a much more natural fit to the hand. The 6 Plus is just way too big in all areas. This is coming from someone who loves the Note 3. The 6 plus is way too long and when you type its very top heavy.

valeo

Apple's barely even marketed the thing. Maybe people really like their iPhones and want to upgrade? Nah, couldn't be.

Limiting stock. Encouraging people to line up (especially in the cold, because that creates the most dramatic photos/media). It's brilliant.

They've always targeted people who want to look like 'early adopters'/'trendsetters' (lol) - just surprised that it's worked this long.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Limiting stock. Encouraging people to line up (especially in the cold, because that creates the most dramatic photos/media). It's brilliant.

They've always targeted people who want to look like 'early adopters'/'trendsetters' (lol) - just surprised that it's worked this long.

Limiting stock? They have over 4 million pre-orders. What other consumer device sells that much (and more) in the first day?

How are they targeting early adopters other than opening stores an hour or two early to sell thing due to overwhelming demand?

Bgamer90

Banned
It could very well be actually. I think 4.7" screen is the perfect fit for the iPhone though. Even though its much bigger than the 5s it doesn't feel like it is. Its a much more natural fit to the hand. The 6 Plus is just way too big in all areas. This is coming from someone who loves the Note 3. The 6 plus is way too long and when you type its very top heavy.

Did you try the double tap feature to bring the screen down?

I honestly think I would be fine with the size after using it for a week.

valeo

Limiting stock? They have over 4 million pre-orders. What other consumer device sells that much (and more) in the first day?

Sorry, it's more the perceived notion that there is limited stock. Of course there isn't actually limited stock. Even several posters in this thread - who you'd expect to be reasonably tech-savvy, being on the interweb and all - believe that if they don't line up for he phone they will have to wait 2 months to get it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, it's more the perceived notion that there is limited stock. Of course there isn't actually limited stock. Even several posters in this thread - who you'd expect to be reasonably tech-savvy, being on the interweb and all - believe that if they don't line up for he phone they will have to wait 2 months to get it.

For the 6 Plus, that very much looks like it may be the case.

I'm sure the normal 6 will be available somewhat in stores even if you don't line up, but will it be available in the color and storage configuration you want? That's a bit of a gamble.

BowieZ

Banned
Whirlpool forums. For Telstra delivery in Brisbane.
I went to JB Indooroopilly last night and asked what the process was, and the dude said they'd have heaps of stock for Telstra contracts in the morning (no preorder needed) but queue up at 7:30am to be safe. So I got there at 7:30 and the chick told me through the security grates at the front entrance that they didn't have any 6+s but had heaps of 6s, and that there would be more 6+s "later this afternoon... or this morning". So I gave her my details again (gave them last night too) as I'm sure plenty of others had done also.

So I guess that means they were told that there were delays, but likely to arrive today, hopefully...?

Sobriquet

They haven't done any of that, though.

gold > everything else

And I usually hate gold... anything.

The day pre-orders opened, Pluses were estimated to ship in November.

valeo

For the 6 Plus, that very much looks like it may be the case.

I'm sure the normal 6 will be available somewhat in stores even if you don't line up, but will it be available in the color and storage configuration you want? That's a bit of a gamble.

Do you really think that Apple doesn't have the power behind them to manufacture enough stock for everyone? They create the illusion of scarcity to increase demand. That is Apple Marketing 101.

Not saying they are bad for doing it - I admire them for their sheer balls when it comes to marketing strategies. Doesn't mean I can't look at people and wonder what the hell they're thinking.

Artificial scarcity alert:

http://news.investors.com/technolog...lus-in-short-supply-for-pre-orders.htm?ref=mp

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Do you really think that Apple doesn't have the power behind them to manufacture enough stock for everyone? They create the illusion of scarcity to increase demand. That is Apple Marketing 101.

Not saying they are bad for doing it - I admire them for their sheer balls when it comes to marketing strategies. Doesn't mean I can't look at people and wonder what the hell they're thinking.

It depends, but no, I don't think Apple is necessarily holding back inventory or not purposefully not making enough to meet demand. I think the demand they have one day one is simply unreasonable. It's like the opening day of a hyped MMORPG. There's no reasonable way to handle the demand.

Passed by the Apple Store on my way home from work about an hour ago and the line was around 2-3 blocks, gonna be interesting to see where it's at when I go in tomorrow morning.

mackaveli

http://news.investors.com/technolog...lus-in-short-supply-for-pre-orders.htm?ref=mp

Foxconn is producing 540,000 iPhones a day. What is apple suppose to do. Foxconn already hired 200,000 additional workers just to produce the iPhone. It's not like Foxconn can just create new factories and hire infinite amount of workers to produce enough iPhones day 1.

valeo

Has there even been a. TV commercial for the new iPhones?

Do they need to now, though? The media do it for them. On every major news site here (Australia) I've seen live blogs featuring interviews with people lining up outsides stores.

That is far better than any traditional advertising.

Foxconn is producing 540,000 iPhones a day. What is apple suppose to do. Foxconn already hired 200,000 additional workers just to produce the iPhone. It's not like Foxconn can just create new factories and hire infinite amount of workers to produce enough iPhones day 1.

Yeah, because Apple didn't know they were launching and had no idea about the demand - there is no way they could've planned ahead. C'mon dude.

knicks

I read somewhere yesterday that Apple produces 400,000 iPhone 6's a day, while manufacturing a little over 100,000 daily for the Plus. I can guarantee the average person will be able to walk into a store and buy whatever iPhone 6 they want to in a month.

Big difference between this and a PS3/Wii launch where there was an incredibly absurd shortage in stock.

Most people who wanted/can afford/had their contract up I would say the majority of those people pre-ordered. With that number being in the 4-4.5 million range every one of those people will most likely get there phone within the next month.

Do you work in manufacturing? You have no idea what you are talking about. It isn't just Apple, but the many suppliers they have to contract that have parts in the phone. They are both supplier and factory constrained. In addition, it makes no sense to open a huge factory for initial demand then have to somehow ramp down dramatically. It takes week and maybe even months to train personnel in electronics/semiconductor manufacturing.

There is no incentive for Apple to create false scarcity here. They already have that factor.

Sobriquet

The back of the iPhone 6 not having as much white as the 5 ruins the gold version... Just looks gaudy IMO.

I love it. In actual pictures it looks way better than the renders, too. *shrug*

They've been manufacturing them for months. They will continue manufacturing them at the same rate. Supply will eventually catch up with demand.

And how did you extract artificial scarcity from that article?

Top Bottom