• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

there's something I don't get with all the manufacturers...if there's a HUGE trend of doing "selfies"...why they keep putting shitty ass front cameras?

I've just decided to get the 5.5. Fuck it. I really do feel like this is going to replace my tablet though. =/ Although I'll probably still prefer watching video on my iPad mini. But for browsing and doing everything else, I'll probably start relying more on the 6 +

Mm, this is a good point. If I get the 6+, I probably won't have a reason to get an iPad Mini anymore

edit: Nah I'll still get a mini

Mononoke

Banned
I... really don't see how it's simpler than google wallet.

Or just using a debit/credit card with paypass.

Even if google did it first, this is a great thing. More people using it, means a better adoption rate overall. And whatever you want to say about Apple, they somehow are good at pushing/marketing their shit.

Is anyone else seeing that we need to pay $40 upgrade fee since the PO is 2 days earlier? I bought the 5 on Sept 14th 2 years ago. They can't waive that $40 for 2 days?

Mononoke

Banned
No screen protector, but if they upped the quality of that leather case of theirs I'll get that

If not, I'll shop around, who knows

Yeah I'm considering doing the leather for 5.5 model. Just because I think the flat/smooth back of the phone might not be the best thing for a phone that big (don't want to drop it). The leather should give it a better grip. That is one thing I think the Note did right.

dc89

What case/screen protectors are everyone getting?

I think the protruding camera is gonna force a lot of people who haven't used cases in the past to now use one.
I've never had a case with my iPhones, apart from the bumper with the 4 because it was free :lol but that fell apart and I never bothered replacing.

I normally don't go with a screen protector but I am not sure what to do. I always try to use some sort of case because I'm prone to dropping my phone, I have never shattered one though.

Eusis

They put a nice screen on it for a reason. No need for shitty protectors.

Wait they didn't end up using sapphire? lololol
Even without Sapphire I think modern phones have decent enough screens that you don't really NEED a protector like you would have on, say, a (non-clamshell) GameBoy, PSP, or DS (and Vita too it seems.) They don't scratch very easily at all, ironically at more risk from a case than anything else.

Mononoke

Banned
They put a nice screen on it for a reason. No need for shitty protectors.

Wait they didn't end up using sapphire? lololol

Nope. Only for Apple Watch. Seems like their manufacturing problems has caused them to just delay it for the next iPhone iteration.

Enco

Screen protectors aren't worth it at all IMO.

Slim cases are a great idea though. Really helped me in the past.

Just get one with a clear background and you hardly notice it's there.

Kinda off topic, but when you install ios 8 GM, should you shift restore or shift update?

So after reading about Apple Pay.. the biggest difference it has with Google Wallet is the Finger Print capabilities as opposed to just a Pin and the extra bit of security due to Apple not wanting to track any additional information regarding your transaction. Google Wallet tracks it though.

What data does Google Wallet store about my purchases?
Google Wallet records information about your purchases, such as merchant, amount, date and time, method of payment, and, optionally, geolocation. You can view your Transaction History in the Wallet app and in the online management center.

http://www.google.com/wallet/faq.html#tab=faq-security

DarkFlow

Banned
So after reading about Apple Pay.. the biggest difference it has with Google Wallet is the Finger Print capabilities as opposed to just a Pin and the extra bit of security due to Apple not wanting to track any additional information regarding your transaction. Google Wallet tracks it though.

What data does Google Wallet store about my purchases?
Google Wallet records information about your purchases, such as merchant, amount, date and time, method of payment, and, optionally, geolocation. You can view your Transaction History in the Wallet app and in the online management center.

http://www.google.com/wallet/faq.html#tab=faq-security

Of course Google wallet tracks your transaction history, Apple Pay will also. Unless you think it's not going to show you a history of what you bought.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't think Apple Pay would even work without storing those same things. Besides who's going to use a payment device without a transaction history?

Enco

I shift + updated.

Saved me from having to set up my phone again, but you can do shift + restore if you want a fresh start.
I'll stick with update.

Why do so many sites say go with restore?

Seems like unnecessary hassle.

Of course Google wallet tracks your transaction history, Apple Pay will also. Unless you think it's not going to show you a history of what you bought.

Apparently the transaction information regarding location and other information is something that will have to be pulled up via your bank/credit card statements and not through Apple Pays interface/app/program w/e.

giga

No they don't:

Apple doesn’t save your transaction information. With Apple Pay, your payments are private. Apple doesn’t store the details of your transactions so they can’t be tied back to you. Your most recent purchases are kept in Passbook for your convenience, but that’s as far as it goes.

I don't think Apple Pay would even work without storing those same things. Besides who's going to use a payment device without a transaction history?
Your bank or credit card will have your full history. There's no reason for Apple to save your data.

Apparently the transaction information regarding location and other information is something that will have to be pulled up via your bank/credit card statements and not through Apple Pays interface/app/program w/e.

https://wallet.google.com/legaldocument?family=0.privacynotice

Yeah. Now it makes sense why Tim Cook made a jab about how other companies have other intentions with information they store and how they aren't planning on doing that.

That's really the biggest difference I guess between the services.

Either way, cool to see Apple jump on NFC. This should be a big help for adoption at least in the US.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can iphone 6+ run ipad only apps?
That would be amazing if it were billed as a middle of the ground do-it-all device. The apps would have borders but they'd work. I really don't know why Apple decided not to enforce and require Universal to be used instead of letting devs have the option of creating two versions of the same app. There'd be no problem now if devs weren't so greedy.

To answer the question, probably not. At least they didn't say anything about it so I assume not.

DarkFlow

Banned
No they don't:

Apple doesn’t save your transaction information. With Apple Pay, your payments are private. Apple doesn’t store the details of your transactions so they can’t be tied back to you. Your most recent purchases are kept in Passbook for your convenience, but that’s as far as it goes.

Your bank or credit card will have your full history. There's no reason for Apple to save your data.

I kind of like having a record of things I bought, the Wallet transaction acts as receipt but to each there own I guess.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So does this mean Android's flagships next year will be even bigger?? Sigh
Is Apple considering the Plus their new flagship? I hope not. It's a niche product at best.

Is 5.5" considered a Phablet? I always assumed it was for 7" phones. Wait, do 7" phones exist? If so.... why?

Terrell

I kind of like having a record of things I bought, the Wallet transaction acts as receipt but to each there own I guess.
That's what your bank app is for. Apple shouldn't have to be involved in tracking your purchases, you can already establish that history on the same device with the only people who should have that data in the first place.

Acheteedo

I guess it had to happen eventually, the iPhone 5 was the point where future models would seem like pointless incremental upgrades. I just don't see the tangible benefit of getting an iPhone 6, what will it bring me that my current phone doesn't already do? The battery life seems only marginally improved, it looks uglier, and I can't really see what else is different. I think I'll go to a sim card only contract and wait a year.

DarkFlow

Banned
That's what your bank app is for. Apple shouldn't have to be involved in tracking your purchases, you can already establish that history on the same device with the only people who should have that data in the first place.

Apple is still going to have to record your transaction, there's really no way around it. They can't just pay with magic, there's going to a ID number and a record. Just because you can no longer see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Eusis

I guess it had to happen eventually, the iPhone 5 was the point where future models would seem like pointless incremental upgrades. I just don't see the tangible benefit of getting an iPhone 6, what will it bring me that my current phone doesn't already do? The battery life seems only marginally improved, it looks uglier, and I can't really see what else is different. I think I'll go to a sim card only contract and wait a year.
I sometimes wonder if people forget that phones get more powerful period, much like computers.

Then again that point can be used against me in that if all you really care about is web browsing and work a <$500 laptop is all you need similar to how you don't need the absolute latest phone, and I'm probably being excessive with that price point.

I'm not a fan of how the Privacy Policy allows for Google to essentially have the ability to sell some of that information to advertisers. It may be non personally identifiable but it just feels weird.

Lucius86

Banned
Is Apple considering the Plus their new flagship? I hope not. It's a niche product at best.

Is 5.5" considered a Phablet? I always assumed it was for 7" phones. Wait, do 7" phones exist? If so.... why?

I think they are you know - for me OIS is a huge upgrade, after having it on my Lumia 920 for the last 1.5 years. The fact that isn't in the smaller iPhone 6 is a big deal.

Acheteedo

I sometimes wonder if people forget that phones get more powerful period, much like computers.

Then again that point can be used against me in that if all you really care about is web browsing and work a <$500 laptop is all you need similar to how you don't need the absolute latest phone, and I'm probably being excessive with that price point.

That's the thing, unlike a PC where I care a great deal about the graphical capabilities, my phone still does everything I want very smoothly.

Even without Sapphire I think modern phones have decent enough screens that you don't really NEED a protector like you would have on, say, a (non-clamshell) GameBoy, PSP, or DS (and Vita too it seems.) They don't scratch very easily at all, ironically at more risk from a case than anything else.

This. As long as you keep your phone away from your keys or loose change, the scratches your screen get won't be noticeable.

Lucius86

Banned
Can someone tell me what OIS is?

Abbreviated as OIS, optical image stabilization is the apparatus, contained within a digital camera or other digital recording device, that compensates in real-time for shaking and vibrating while recording. Because OIS is a real-time compensation there is no alterations or image degradation to the image.

For video recording, the improvement is drastic.

Top Bottom