• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

In line at the Apple Store. Doors to the mall opened at 6 am and I got here 20 minutes afterwards, I'd say there's about 70-80 or so people in front of me anyway. Dunno how many want 6 Plus's but the guy in front of me does, lol. We'll see what happens

Friend at Eaton Center (Toronto), over 1000 people in line. All 6+ are gone
Bx5OiUICcAA3bj_.jpg:large

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There is no plus shortage hype. There is a plus shortage period. Verizon has 70 phones, 5 pluses. I'm 15th in line.

Coming from a Note 2 and I never really used the pen... will I be sad about the screen size reduction from 5.5 to 4.7?

Argh. Decisions.
Frankly I would just order the plus from apple.com and wait. "Settling" on a color is one thing. Settling on hardware config should just not be done.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I'm doing the UPS tango right now:

1. Walk up to front door with cautious optimism
2. Press face to glass and look left and right to see if UPS truck is on road
3. Look down to see if somehow you missed someone dropping something off
4. Walk back to computer with sadness

Friend at Eaton Center (Toronto), over 1000 people in line. All 6+ are gone
Bx5OiUICcAA3bj_.jpg:large

And I was thinking about going down there this morning.

HA.

I remember with the 4 I decided to line up at Eaton Centre about a week after it launched. I got there at 8 am and there were about four people ahead of me. They told us they had no phones for the day but we waited anyway. As the day went on the line grew to a few hundred people and finally Apple decided to send some over and I got one.

I'm off this Thursday. If my Bell order hasn't budged I will probably just go down to the store and try my luck again.

Frankly I would just order the plus from apple.com and wait. "Settling" on a color is one thing. Settling on hardware config should just not be done.

Completely agree.

The only time you should go for a hardware config that wasn't your original option is if you're willing to pay more to get something better. If you settle for something less than what you wanted you may end up regretting it.

AlexMogil

Thing is my phone just broke two days ago. Earpiece doesn't work and then the microphone stopped. I could get away with a Bluetooth earpiece but for two months?

I had no intention of switching today but man. What luck this is. I know, first world problems.

komplanen

Nice to see people getting their phones in Tier 1 countries. I live in Finland and just last night a small tiny amount of phones came up for pre-order by my carrier. I managed to quickly get a gold 6+ 16GB before every option ran out.

They had normal 6 in all colors but only 6+ available were gold. Not what I wanted but after seeing images and video online I'm starting to feel it looks better than the silver white. I've had a black iPhone for past 6 years so I wanted a white bezel no matter what.

I went with 16GB because I don't feel like storing anything on a phone. Even on my current 2-year-old 5 I've only used a single gigabyte.

Vyer

lol

borghe

Thing is my phone just broke two days ago. Earpiece doesn't work and then the microphone stopped. I could get away with a Bluetooth earpiece but for two months?

I had no intention of switching today but man. What luck this is. I know, first world problems.
Damn. Damn. Well I'd still order from apple.com. Worst case scenario is you can't wait, cancel, and get the 6 which will be ready in stock quickly.

When I lived in my old house you could easily hear trucks coming down the street. When I was waiting for a package and would hear anything that remotely sounded like a truck I would run to the window like a damn dog.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Upgraded with Telus since they were offering free AppleCare+ on the Plus.

Still think the 4.7 is the perfect size for me and not this monstrosity. But then battery life is also CRITICAL. The perfect combo would have been the 4.7 with the battery life of the Plus, would've made the decision so much easier. The OIS is also valuable to me but not a deal breaker.

Buying a phone that is bigger than your like simply for battery life seems a bad idea. As long as the iPhone 6 will do a solid days hard work then that should be enough. If the plus gets nearly two days, then you'd probably charge every night anyway.

AlexMogil

Damn. Damn. Well I'd still order from apple.com. Worst case scenario is you can't wait, cancel, and get the 6 which will be ready in stock quickly.

Thanks for the moral tech support. It is much appreciated. :)

I'll go in Verizon, look at them and decide. It will be a look and see decision as they have a plus on display.

I assume someone will be testing out gaming on the 6+? I'd like to see a thread. I'm curious how the formfactor feels compared to the 5S and the iPad Mini.

I'll be doing the same thing shortly. Don't have much work to do today, and I'm mostly just waiting on my phone to arrive. Can't go run errands or workout until it is here.

borghe

Buying a phone that is bigger than your like simply for battery life seems a bad idea. As long as the iPhone 6 will do a solid days hard work then that should be enough. If the plus gets nearly two days, then you'd probably charge every night anyway.
This was always the thing I don't get in the "phone wars". Don't get me wrong. I'm all for cranked up batteries. But is a 36 hour battery critical? Or 48? Is it even a nice to have if you're charging it every night anyways?

How does this new queue work? Does an apple employee stop by each person and ask them what kind of phone they would like? Do I have to wait in line and then get to the front only then for disappointment?

I can't believe Apple STILL don't include that thing that you NEED to put the SIM card in. I can't find anything in my flat that fits.

I've always received one.

How does this new queue work? Does an apple employee stop by each person and ask them what kind of phone they would like? Do I have to wait in line and then get to the front only then for disappointment?

They usually come by and ask at a certain point.

Mii

Banned
Reserve line at a total halt since my last post. How does it take so long for people who already paid and selected to get their phones?

Oh my god. It is in that packet.
I've been searching the house for the past 20 mins looking for something. Bye

They have always included one.

They have earphones in there too, just in case you missed it.

There were definitely a few in this thread who were able to get it shipped day 1. My shipment order says Oct 16th.

I have one ordered from Bell that may take 2-3 weeks. I ordered off the Apple store last night as a backup and it tells me around October 22nd. That doesn't seem too bad.

ZeroX03

Banned
This was always the thing I don't get in the "phone wars". Don't get me wrong. I'm all for cranked up batteries. But is a 36 hour battery critical? Or 48? Is it even a nice to have if you're charging it every night anyways?

I've always hated gaming/intensive apps on any sort of phone because if you want to play them for more than an hour a day it'll kill battery. With the improved battery I'll still be charging every day but now I'll be playing games and such without worrying that it could come back and bite me on the ass later in the day.

XCOM? Hell yeah I wanna play that on the go. But it drains the battery so hard I might as well need to be plugged in. (ps can't wait to play that on a 5.5 inch screen)

Ovid

In reserve line @ Apple Store SoHo. Moving pretty quickly. Feel bad for non-reserves, there's tons of them.
Saw a line at ATT on 34th Street. It really wasn't that bad. Couldn't tell if they were picking up or wanting to purchase.

I've owned three iPhones and they all come with that thing. It's under the manual dude.
I don't think it comes with one if the phone is locked. I could be wrong.

Reserve line at a total halt since my last post. How does it take so long for people who already paid and selected to get their phones?
Don't forget you have the option of working with the Apple Store employee to open the phone up and get it fully setup right there, that can take a bit.

MickD

Showed up at 4am. 12th in line at ATT. Now it's around the building. They just had me and gf fill out paperwork. Both said plus. Seems like stock is fine. Rather see it first before committing.

Showed up at 4am. 12th in line at ATT. Now it's around the building. They just had me and gf fill out paperwork. Both said plus. Seems like stock is fine. Rather see it first before committing.

What if there is only one Plus left and it comes down to both of you getting it?

Who makes the sacrifice?

Thumb war?

Rock, paper, scissors?

Kumite?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
What if there is only one Plus left and it comes down to both of you getting it?

Who makes the sacrifice?

iPhos before hoes...

Cannot get this damn thing in the Speck case. Not sure if it's a manufacturing issue with the cases or if they expect me to push so hard I'm gunna snap the phone. I have a backup Spigen around just in case, though. Here are some pics:
Screen protector was also a bitch to get on :p pack of 3, only got the last one correct. #gooddesign

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Even in Seattle (Bellevue actually), there were over 200 people lining up at the Apple store at 11:00 p.m. PST last night. I went to check it out, but decided not to line up, because I've been hearing all of the reports of Plus devices being so limited in stock.

I've pretty much settled on going for the normal 6 in Silver for this year. Next year, if it turns out I do prefer the bigger form factor, I'll pass it down to my wife and buy the 6s Plus or whatever they name it. Currently lined up at a local T-Mobile store with around four people in front of me. I hope they have 64GB models!

btkadams

Cannot get this damn thing in the Speck case. Not sure if it's a manufacturing issue with the cases or if they expect me to push so hard I'm gunna snap the phone. I have a backup Spigen around just in case, though. Here are some pics:

Screen protector was also a bitch to get on :p pack of 3, only got the last one correct. #gooddesign
6 or 6 Plus?

With each passing year of iPhone launches I find myself more and more weirded out by people waiting in line for them. I'm having one shipped to my house today, but there is just something weird to me about seeing hundreds of people lining up in front of a single store, for a phone. The people who sleep out for days.....I don't even know what to say about them.

Top Bottom