• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Apple is still going to have to record your transaction, there's really no way around it. They can't just pay with magic, there's going to a ID number and a record. Just because you can no longer see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I think the difference though is that they are working directly with banks. Something Google Wallet isn't doing so that is where the hand off occurs on that information. Google needs to store that transactionl information on their end.

Jimrpg

I guess it had to happen eventually, the iPhone 5 was the point where future models would seem like pointless incremental upgrades. I just don't see the tangible benefit of getting an iPhone 6, what will it bring me that my current phone doesn't already do? The battery life seems only marginally improved, it looks uglier, and I can't really see what else is different. I think I'll go to a sim card only contract and wait a year.

In a couple years, Apple will gimp your phone via necessary security updates making your phone run like ass and force you to upgrade. My wife's iphone 4 is barely usuable, home button broken and lock screen randomly zooms in and out, plus it takes forever to load anything. My iphone 4s is still fine right now, tho i'm worried about putting iOS8 on until I see some performance videos online.

Both my wife and I are thinking about getting iphone 6+ :) Looks big but I don't want to buy the 6 and feel like I want more screen space, so I'm just going for the biggest there is. Can't be any bigger than a vita right?

Terrell

I think the difference though is that they are working directly with banks. Something Google Wallet isn't doing so that is where the hand off occurs on that information. Google needs to store that transactionl information on their end.
Hence why it's US-only right now, you're right.
Apple Pay is just a 3rd-party gatekeeper between the bank and the merchant, and the transaction itself doesn't end up with anyone but those 2. Hence the retailer and bank partnering. If Apple Pay processed the transaction, they wouldn't need partners in its rollout.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah that makes sense. I wanted to say Apple needs to keep a transaction history anyway for in case there's a conflict between the bank and Apple Pay. But if Apple Pay effectively is the bank, if Apple ensures the banks get low level access to the phone (which I kind of doubt but still), that would be a better solution. Google has been encroaching on people's privacy way too much.

Eusis

That's the thing, unlike a PC where I care a great deal about the graphical capabilities, my phone still does everything I want very smoothly.
That iPhone 4's definitely too worn down for me, but I am interested in some of the iOS exclusives that come.

Buuut that was part of why I wanted an iPod Touch in the first place and outside of a bit of Angry Birds and a wild Game Dev Story binge that didn't go very far, so probably anything with 4G, plenty of storage for music, and able to load up non-gaming apps reasonably fast probably WOULD be enough for me.
This. As long as you keep your phone away from your keys or loose change, the scratches your screen get won't be noticeable.
Heh, yeah, I always make a point to either keep it in a separate pocket from change and keys, and if they are in the same pocket to make it as short as possible. Only other things it usually shares the pocket with is paper and maybe a handheld, and I half expect the paper's a greater risk than a 3DS at least.

dc89

Thought I'd post this here as I guess a fair few people will be upgrading to iOS8 GM today or in the near future.

If you're doing it on a Mac which is running Yosemite & the latest version of iTunes - you need to do this:

I actually just encountered the same issue a few hours ago and freaked out before just focusing and using some troubleshooting skills.

Install AppZapper (here) and open preferences to allow the removal of Apple apps
Remove iTunes 12
Delete your old iTunes library information from the Music folder
Download & install iTunes 11 (here)
Proceed with install/restore of iOS 8
Upgrade back to iTunes 12 in Mac App Store
Breathe. You saved your phone.

If you don't you end up with a phone which just asks to be connected to iTunes and iTunes in Yosemite will crash when the phone is connected.

Thanks to devinthomas over on MacRumors.

Enco

iOS 8 is working great.

The new predictive keyboard is brilliant. Lots of small changes that make the experience much nicer. I look forward to apps utilising widgets and extensibility.

~~Hasan~~

man. the iphone 6 is almost same dpi as 5s. the fact the 5s is smaller makes it more attractive option to me.

I do not care about the power performance difference as its nothing to begin with. and all games will be supported. I will not even tell the difference in speed between my 5s and iphone 6.

I am honeslty thinking of either skipping this whole generation of iphone and wait for the S version. or MAYBE buy the iphone 6+ but I will have to deal with the big screen problem.

Avixph

man. the iphone 6 is almost same dpi as 5s. the fact the 5s is smaller makes it more attractive option to me.

I do not care about the power performance difference as its nothing to begin with. and all games will be supported. I will not even tell the difference in speed between my 5s and iphone 6.

I am honeslty thinking of either skipping this whole generation of iphone and wait for the S version. or MAYBE buy the iphone 6+ but I will have to deal with the big screen problem.
You should just wait it out instead of getting buyer's remorse later down the road.

Enco

I would wait until you can try the phone out in store.

You can also try this to get a feel for the size.

I'm going to skip this gen and go with the 6S. iOS8 gave my 5S enough of a boost.

Prototype

So the Galaxy S5 is still the most advanced phone on the planet. Good to know.

Needless to say, pretty disappointed with the design of the iPhone 6 and it's specs, resolution, ect. Seems awfully behind the times. Can't believe I actually considered getting one.

Apple died with Jobs imo. They will never be the same.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Biggest thing to put me off a 5 was how scuffed the body got after awhile, peoples 5s look rougher than my 4! I never use a case either. Hope the 6 doesn't have any of these problems.

DarkFlow

Banned

Needless to say, pretty disappointed with the design of the iPhone 6 and it's specs, resolution, ect. Seems awfully behind the times. Can't believe I actually considered getting one.

I'm more a android lover, but lol @ the S5 being the most advanced phone on the planet.

Mindwipe

iOS8 on the 5 isn't great. Definitely loses some framerate. Battery life seems abysmal so far. Some really dumb popup spam. Lots of apps are going to need to update - the keyboard is causing some really layout messes.

Enco

iOS8 on the 5 isn't great. Definitely loses some framerate. Battery life seems abysmal so far. Some really dumb popup spam. Lots of apps are going to need to update - the keyboard is causing some really layout messes.
What popup spam?

Apps always need updates after the os updates. They all work well with me.

Heh, yeah, I always make a point to either keep it in a separate pocket from change and keys, and if they are in the same pocket to make it as short as possible. Only other things it usually shares the pocket with is paper and maybe a handheld, and I half expect the paper's a greater risk than a 3DS at least.

Yeah, I'll still use a case because I've dropped every smartphone I've owned way too many times to feel safe, but I'm pretty happy with where screen glass has gotten.

I'm going to skip this gen and go with the 6S. iOS8 gave my 5S enough of a boost.

I'm fine with the size of the 6 and 6 Plus, but my wife has been left behind. Her ideal size was the 4/4s and each size increase has left her more disappointed.

Guess Who

Banned

I'm on a 5 and having none of these issues - framerate seems constant 60fps, even in Spotlight, Notification Center, and the app switcher. Haven't noticed any adverse effect on battery either.

Mononoke

Banned

Uh Jobs would have done the same kind of incremental spec upgrades. This is just par the course. Apple has always been about optimization rather than packing in the best specs. I agree it sucks, because for the price they should be offering more. But at the same time I can look at an Android phone with 3gb of ram and the iPhone will still run more smoothly because of the bloatware/UI overlay on some Android devices. On paper Galaxy S5 is vastly superior. But I wasn't a fan of its overall UI. You can root it and go vanilla, so that's an option. (Note there are android phones without bloatware or bad overlay UI. I was just giving an example of how the best specs doesn't always mean a smooth experience).

But my point is, Apple products will work well regardless of the specs. The only downside IMO is that these phones suffer from the specs with regards to OS updates being more demanding. These new phones really should have had more ram for future iterations of the OS. Really though, I see it as preference. If you aren't in love with iOS then yeah no point buying an iPhone when you can get better specs at the same price. If you love iOS then these new phones will continue to have a very smooth and polished experience.

I never understood why people are so fixated on specs with apple devices. I get ram to a degree (because older phones suffer with OS updates), but Apple devices have always compensated it's specs with optimization.

Edit: I'm not saying the iPhone is the best on the market. Far from it. Just saying for those that like iOS the most, the performance of these phones are polished regardless of the lackluster specs. This had been the case with each release. If I didn't love iOS I would totally get another phone. I wish my Nexus 4 had a better battery life and camera because I really liked that phone.

Prototype

Well my gf has has iPhone 5s, and now I'm wondering if she should upgrade her os? Is ios8 really causing issues for people?
Edit.
Azula,
I guess your right about incremental updates, but between the phone and the watch I feel like jobs would have done some thing different. Or did he have a hand in these before he died? How far out was his vision/plans?

Just doesn't seem like Jobs Apple would be chasing the bigger screen fad, and would instead lead the way on something new.

Finally, I don't think smart watches will ever take off in a meaningful way. The "hassle" of reaching into my pocket to grab my phone that does everything is part of the reason I stopped wearing watches in the first place. Once we get to mass effect omni tool levels of wrist screens then I can see something interesting happening. Maybe I don't "get" the tech or I'm getting old, but the whole watches thing seems pointless to me.

BxHWndmCIAAV70q.jpg:large

Lol Ron Amadeo killin it..

But im still buying the IPhone 6 Plus when jailbreaks hit that bad boy Jhezz..

By the way if any Gaffers want this on Day one and are in Aberdeen, and are on O2 let me know :)

hahahaha

Surely the iPhone 6 has something the Nexus 4 didn't ? It would be sad if all their differences could be reduced to this.

~~Hasan~~

You should just wait it out instead of getting buyer's remorse later down the road.

yeah I agree with you both. I am honestly not feeling it at all.

sarcasm ? LG G3 is dear

Why does a 2 year old phone need a release date?

I meant the Nexus line versus iPhones.

Here are the release dates of every Nexus phone from Wikipedia:

Nexus One smartphone, manufactured by HTC, released January 2010
Nexus S smartphone, manufactured by Samsung, released December 2010
Galaxy Nexus smartphone, manufactured by Samsung, released in November 2011
Nexus 4 smartphone, manufactured by LG, released November 2012
Nexus 5 smartphone, manufactured by LG, released October 2013

Mindwipe

What popup spam?

Apps always need updates after the os updates. They all work well with me.

iOS now tells you that it cannot activate the cellular network if it has no phone signal with a popup every single time you go into any stock app, either by switching or opening.

I know. I'm underground on the tube to work. You do not need to popup and tell me twenty five times in an hour.

Tweetbot's layout is not coping with the new keyboard at all.

Mononoke

Banned
Well my gf has has iPhone 5s, and now I'm wondering if she should upgrade her os? Is ios8 really causing issues for people?
Edit.
Azula,
I guess your right about incremental updates, but between the phone and the watch I feel like jobs would have done some thing different. Or did he have a hand in these before he died? How far out was his vision/plans?

Just doesn't seem like Jobs Apple would be chasing the bigger screen fad, and would instead lead the way on something new.

Finally, I don't think smart watches will ever take off in a meaningful way. The "hassle" of reaching into my pocket to grab my phone that does everything is part of the reason I stopped wearing watches in the first place. Once we get to mass effect omni tool levels of wrist screens then I can see something interesting happening. Maybe I don't "get" the tech or I'm getting old, but the whole watches thing seems pointless to me.

Ah I misread your post. You were talking about the Apple Watch and specifically the iPhones physical size. That's a fair point. As someone that always wanted a bigger iPhone I'm happy they are moving away from Jobs. I just wish they would have made a smaller version of the 5.5 it's too big.

I wonder how long apple watch had been in development. You would think something like that had to be in R&D and planning for a long time. Maybe when Jobs was still there? Or was it only after he died. Would be interested to know. Anyways I think your points are all valid. I def think Apple is at a point where the poor specs are embarrassing. I wish I loved an Android phones OS/UI or I would jump ship. I've tried a lot of android devices and I always end up preferring iOS jail broken. :/

Ninja Dom

Okay, let's get serious!!

iPhone 6 & 6 Plus potential purchasers, please gather round!!

In the UK, and I've narrowed it down to two options but I still can't yet decide.

1) £699, iPhone 6 with 128GB
2) £699, iPhone 6 Plus with 64GB

What I like about the 6 Plus over the 6 is the OIS, the iPad style landscape orientation in apps and 1080p screen for movies. It's just such a damn shame that they couldn't put these three features in the iPhone 6 size. I much prefer the iPhone 6 size. I'm coming from a 5S. What should I get?? I'm leaning towards option 2 at the moment.

scoobs

Uh Jobs would have done the same kind of incremental spec upgrades. This is just par the course. Apple has always been about optimization rather than packing in the best specs. I agree it sucks, because for the price they should be offering more. But at the same time I can look at an Android phone with 3gb of ram and the iPhone will still run more smoothly because of the bloatware/UI overlay on some Android devices. On paper Galaxy S5 is vastly superior. But I wasn't a fan of its overall UI. You can root it and go vanilla, so that's an option. (Note there are android phones without bloatware or bad overlay UI. I was just giving an example of how the best specs doesn't always mean a smooth experience).

But my point is, Apple products will work well regardless of the specs. The only downside IMO is that these phones suffer from the specs with regards to OS updates being more demanding. These new phones really should have had more ram for future iterations of the OS. Really though, I see it as preference. If you aren't in love with iOS then yeah no point buying an iPhone when you can get better specs at the same price. If you love iOS then these new phones will continue to have a very smooth and polished experience.

I never understood why people are so fixated on specs with apple devices. I get ram to a degree (because older phones suffer with OS updates), but Apple devices have always compensated it's specs with optimization.

Edit: I'm not saying the iPhone is the best on the market. Far from it. Just saying for those that like iOS the most, the performance of these phones are polished regardless of the lackluster specs. This had been the case with each release. If I didn't love iOS I would totally get another phone. I wish my Nexus 4 had a better battery life and camera because I really liked that phone.
Agreed that the galaxy s5's UI is dreadful. It's my work phone and I hate it. My personal phone however, the HTC One m8.... best UI i've ever used on a phone. Check it out sometime if you get the chance to fiddle around w/ one at a verizon store or whatever.

Toki767

Ah I misread your post. You were talking about the Apple Watch and specifically the iPhones physical size. That's a fair point. As someone that always wanted a bigger iPhone I'm happy they are moving away from Jobs. I just wish they would have made a smaller version of the 5.5 it's too big.

I wonder how long apple watch had been in development. You would think something like that had to be in R&D and planning for a long time. Maybe when Jobs was still there? Or was it only after he died. Would be interested to know. Anyways I think your points are all valid. I def think Apple is at a point where the poor specs are embarrassing. I wish I loved an Android phones OS/UI or I would jump ship. I've tried a lot of android devices and I always end up preferring iOS jail broken. :/

I'm quite convinced that the only reason they gave the 6+ OIS and landscape view and didn't give it to the 6 was because they needed some way to justify the extra cost instead of just saying it's a bigger screen. I honestly expect those things to come to the 6S next year.

Nicktendo86

In the UK, and I've narrowed it down to two options but I still can't yet decide.

What I like about the 6 Plus over the 6 is the OIS, the iPad style landscape orientation in apps and 1080p screen for movies. It's just such a damn shame that they couldn't put these three features in the iPhone 6 size. I much prefer the iPhone 6 size. I'm coming from a 5S. What should I get?? I'm leaning towards option 2 at the moment.
The 6 is so gimped compared to the plus is it beyond amazing. There is no excuse in 2014 to release a flagship phone with the specs it has.

The plus on the other hand is staggeringly large, I can't get over that it is bigger than the note 4 with a smaller screen. Boggles the mind.

If you are dead set on o e or the other I would say wait for a shop to have test units and give them a try. For the prices you quoted however there are just better products out there.

overcast

Going to have an internal debate about 5S vs. 6 for a while. Upgrading from a 4S. 5S would be 100 cheaper probably, is the extra money worth it for the 6?

Enco

iOS now tells you that it cannot activate the cellular network if it has no phone signal with a popup every single time you go into any stock app, either by switching or opening.

I know. I'm underground on the tube to work. You do not need to popup and tell me twenty five times in an hour.

Tweetbot's layout is not coping with the new keyboard at all.
Yikes. That does sound bad.

You probably don't need 128GB. Hold the phones in person first.

Toki767

But Scoobs, can't you just run pretty much any launcher you want on the S5?

You can, but the launcher is only one part of the phone experience. And unfortunately Samsung has seen fit to try to reskin the entire thing rather than just the launcher. Sometimes it worked out for the best (toggles on notification are a godsend when Google never wanted it, swiping right to call someone and left to text them in the contacts app, etc...) and sometimes it's just eh (launcher, needing to disable S-Voice just so there isn't a lag when pressing the home button, etc...)

Going to have an internal debate about 5S vs. 6 for a while. Upgrading from a 4S. 5S would be 100 cheaper probably, is the extra money worth it for the 6?

The 5S will be 100 cheaper, but it will also be outdated sooner. That's what I always tell people when they ask me which iPhone they should get. That extra $100 now can easily be money well spent if the phone lasts you an extra year.

iPhone 6 shoots 1080p video at both 30fps and 60fps. Apart from storage and file size limitations, why would you ever opt to shoot at 30fps?

For that cinematic experience.

Ninja Dom

iPhone 6 shoots 1080p video at both 30fps and 60fps. Apart from storage and file size limitations, why would you ever opt to shoot at 30fps?

Ninja Dom

Yikes. That does sound bad.

You probably don't need 128GB. Hold the phones in person first.

I'm rocking 64GB in my current 5S. It is sufficient so far. But two things - I plan on shooting videos exclusively at 60fps AND more importantly, it's only an £80 difference for double the storage.

I think I'll get regular 6. I have an iPad too so the 4.7" will be just fine.

Surely the iPhone 6 has something the Nexus 4 didn't ? It would be sad if all their differences could be reduced to this.

It runs iOS instead of Android. For some people (myself included) this is really the biggest factor in determining whether or not to consider a given phone.

Im getting one, I think it will be the standard model, the plus just seems to big... however it would be great to have when filming etc..

Izuna

Banned
This was going to be my first iPhone, and I really like how it is curved etc. Since my fav phone in terms of feel and appearance is still the Lumia 920...

But... iPhone 6 Plus seems to put my possible iPad Mini purchase and new phone in one, the problem is I don't want a phone that huge. I will give it a go. Microsoft needs a successor to the 920 man :(

Top Bottom