• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Smidget

So when I activate my new phone over AT&T, does the other one just deactivate when this one activates? I'm assuming that's how it works? Or do I have to do something special?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
The App Store has to be getting reamed right now.

Everyone that's restoring from iCloud is redownloading 20-50 apps in a sitting x millions of people getting their iPhone.

My restore was a little funky, but ultimately it all got there.
So guys, Zoom View or non-Zoom View?
Went with Standard...but we'll see.

kaskade

The App Store has to be getting reamed right now.

Everyone that's restoring from iCloud is redownloading 20-50 apps in a sitting x millions of people getting their iPhone.

My restore was a little funky, but ultimately it all got there.

Went with Standard...but we'll see.

Man, didn't even think of that. My connection at work isn't really the best anyway.

An-Det

My iphone did not come with the pin to pop out the sim card. Is there a safe way to get it open it without it? Alternately, would it even accept the sim card from my Galaxy S3?

I find it odd mine doesn't say out for delivery yet here. It's 11:50 am

Relax. Sometimes they have different trucks for these kinds of heavy days. You might not get it until 6 PM tonight, depending on the route. The last time I ordered the 4S, the regular delivery guy came and went, with no phone for me. An hour later, a second truck showed up, and he had my phone.

For the record, mine has been out for delivery since 6 AM, and it isn't here yet either. It's after noon, and my regular delivery doesn't usually come until 1-2 PM. I'm more concerned about my girlfriend's phone, which is here in town, but hasn't been listed as "Out for Delivery" yet. I'd like to leave the house at some point today.

Toki767

My iphone did not come with the pin to pop out the sim card. Is there a safe way to get it open it without it? Alternately, would it even accept the sim card from my Galaxy S3?

Maybe just try using a pin? I believe the iPhone uses nano SIM cards though so you probably need a new one.

Bell hasn't even received their phones yet. Apparently people who ordered in stores have to wait till the shipment arrives around 6pm. People who ordered online won't even have them shipped out until tonight.

What in the actual fuck!?

We need proper comparison pics.
Wrong. Phones came in last night. Call.

bodine1231

Fuck me, my Tmobile online order still shows processed with a delivery date of saturday but haven't got a shipping email. I tried to go in store and get one but they said I need to go online to cancel and they couldn't do it there. Went online and the rep said that since it's processed they can't cancel the order. I'm having the thing shipped to my work which is closed tomorrow, argh!

Keylime

reviews sure weren't lying about everything being giant and in your face for scaled apps
Yeah, the apps that haven't been updated yet are really bad and just look kiddy.

Luckily things seem to be updating quickly.

So when I got my 6plus, I thought that people were lying and exaggerating about how big it was. Then I got home and placed it beside my vita...

nikos

Does anyone else's phone make a short buzzing type sound when they tap to focus?

Also, are videos automatically recorded in1080p/60? Looks like 30 as I preview what I'm taking, as opposed to the slo-mo preview.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I queued up for the release of the original iPod Touch in the UK, the staff all clapped us as we came in, so awkward. Maybe it's different for Americans but as a Brit that was massively uncomfortable, haha. I just wanted to buy the thing and get out, I don't need people cheering me because I'm buying their product. Pretty funny when I think about it now though. I remember holding that iPod Touch later that day and thinking about how incredible it was holding the internet in the palm of my hand. I didn't get an iphone until the 4, but the display there wowed me again, and the design of it was incredible. I can't wait to get hold of my 6 and see how this one feels.

Keylime

a guy next to me did pick up the 6+ at the demo table and immediately put it in his jacket pocket. just slipped it into and out of the pocket a half dozen times and left.

Trying to rub off some of that 6+ magic into his pants, no doubt.

Rest assured he immediately went home and got his wife pregnant 1st shot after months of trying.

yodandy

Chicago: Switched from Sprint to Tmobile. Went in 3 days ago to get one on hold and get paperwork started. Walked in today and in about an hour walked out with my iPhone 6. They have 0 6+'s in stock. Not even a display, said they don't expect to have any for about a month. Very impressed with how easy it was to get a 64gig Space Grey 6.

Guess Who

Banned
Got my 6 in. White, 64GB, 4.7". First impression is, shit this thing is big. Still totally fine, but after using an iPhone 5 for so long it's a marked difference, and I'm glad I didn't go for the 5.5".

Second impression is wow I do not give a shit about the antenna lines. What a non issue.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yeah, the apps that haven't been updated yet are really bad and just look kiddy.

Luckily things seem to be updating quickly.
It's not surprising. You can already download iPhone only apps on the iPad and it may suck, but it gets the job done. I dislike scalable apps.

Cuphead

Banned
My only issue with this phone is that I don't have a 'show n tell' fetish, people need to stop asking me if they can feel up on it.

Keylime

Well shit, the Kenu Airframe doesn't fit a 6+.

That kind of really sucks!

Edit: Airframe+!!!

Schlep

My only issue with this phone is that I don't have a 'show n tell' fetish, people need to stop asking me if they can feel up on it.
Still going through that every time I travel with my Surface Pro 3. I've actually had someone pick it up off my tray table while I was using it.

Extremely happy with my 6. It feels big but not too big. Going to head down to the Apple store to try out the 6+ to see how it is.

15289450285_f44a5afe95_b.jpg

15289450695_5f1a16f0cf_b.jpg

Varion

Got my 6 in. White, 64GB, 4.7". First impression is, shit this thing is big. Still totally fine, but after using an iPhone 5 for so long it's a marked difference, and I'm glad I didn't go for the 5.5".

Second impression is wow I do not give a shit about the antenna lines. What a non issue.
I really can't believe how much they bothered me in pictures now. I was willing to accept them, but resigned to the fact I probably wouldn't want to see the back of the phone too much because of them. But in person they just...don't matter. At all. I don't know what it is that makes them look so much worse in pictures, but I really couldn't care less about them now.

Maybe it's a different story with the White/Gold because they seem much more pronounced there, but who knows. Anyone in the thread who's got a gold one with an opinion either way?

oti

Banned
Sounds like you guys are happy with your new phone so that's nice. :)
If you want to get rid of that garbage called iPhone 5 or iPhone 5s, call me.

psychotron

I was able to keep mine, yes. Ordered through Apple's website

Do tell. I've heard that if you order through Apple, it makes you choose a tiered data plan, but if you put your old sim card in the new phone, your contract date will extend but your data plan will remain intact. Truth??

What in the actual fuck?

I get to the Apple Store 2.5 hours after open to snag my 6+ and there is still a fucking enormous line, just for pick up. The line for reservations is like twice as long at least. And on top of that, the line is barely moving?

What is going on here? I guess I can see the reservations line still being long two and a half hours after open but the pick up line? Where you just fuckin walk in and grab it and leave?

Wait, wait, just heard someone say this Apple Store didn't even open till 10am. Arrghhh I would have waited till later >__<

OmegaFax

Genuinely don't need a new phone but if I can get $200 from a trade-in for my old iPhone 4 and roughly have a new one "free" on contract, might bite.

Ikon

Man I want one of these things right about now. Doesn't release here until next week though.

So hard to choose what size to get tbh. I've got a note now and feel like it might be just a bit big... Wish the stores had displays at least to make things easier.

Liberty4all

Banned
My mother has an iPad 2. She wants to upgrade her phone but the issue is that her carrier (Fido) won't let her upgrade to an iPhone 6 or 6+ unless she is put on an $75 a month plan.

After thinking about it I'm considering getting her a 5S instead which will be considerably cheaper per month ($50 - $55) ...

So my question is this ... do you guys think this is a mistake to do? I know what they say about buying Apple stuff a gen behind (you get screwed when the OS updates via planned obsolescence)....

A few things I'm considering is that she has never had a smartphone (been using flips her whole life) .... I was worried that the iPhone 6 and 6+ will feel HUGE to her. She's almost 70 though so I thought she'd like the big screen. With that said she uses her phone as her main house line and unlike most people she will be using her phone mainly for voice not data. The reason I think IOS is the best choice for her is that she has an iPad 2 that she knows how to use (and she's not techy at all ... probaly the least techy person in the world actually).

Opinions?

I really want to go to an Apple Store to check out the 6 and see it in person. I think I'm going to get one with my upgrade, but I still wanna see it in person first.

nikos

Thanks for the notes on the silicon case. I was afraid it'd be like that. Did you get a chance to check out a leather case?

Only saw them in the packaging. I don't think they'll be lint magnets like the silicon case. I'm sort of considering picking one up, but I'm not sure I can get over any case taking away from the curved glass design. It's too nice to cover up, IMO.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously?! Where does he live?

Seems like Space Gray is plentiful. The T-Mobile store I was at had zero Gold, 10 Silver (all in 128GB) and a whole bunch (50+) Space Gray in various configurations.

KevinG

What in the actual fuck?

I get to the Apple Store 2.5 hours after open to snag my 6+ and there is still a fucking enormous line, just for pick up. The line for reservations is like twice as long at least. And on top of that, the line is barely moving?

What is going on here? I guess I can see the reservations line still being long two and a half hours after open but the pick up line? Where you just fuckin walk in and grab it and leave?

Wait, wait, just heard someone say this Apple Store didn't even open till 10am. Arrghhh I would have waited till later >__<

My wife is at a mall in Raleigh. She waited over two hours. They were bringing people with reservations into the store by groups of 10ish. People were wanting different phones than they ordered and having Apple train them on the new phone.

I was on the fence between the 6 and the 6 Plus, but I just stopped by an Apple Store at lunch and MAN is the Plus huge. Definitely a no-go for me. It's even bigger than the cardboard mockup I made based on published dimensions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My mother has an iPad 2. She wants to upgrade her phone but the issue is that her carrier (Fido) won't let her upgrade to an iPhone 6 or 6+ unless she is put on an $75 a month plan.

After thinking about it I'm considering getting her a 5S instead which will be considerably cheaper per month ($50 - $55) ...

So my question is this ... do you guys think this is a mistake to do? I know what they say about buying Apple stuff a gen behind (you get screwed when the OS updates via planned obsolescence)....

A few things I'm considering is that she has never had a smartphone (been using flips her whole life) .... I was worried that the iPhone 6 and 6+ will feel HUGE to her. She's almost 70 though so I thought she'd like the big screen. With that said she uses her phone as her main house line and unlike most people she will be using her phone mainly for voice not data. The reason I think IOS is the best choice for her is that she has an iPad 2 that she knows how to use (and she's not techy at all ... probaly the least techy person in the world actually).

Opinions?

Get her a dumb phone and a new iPad would be my idea.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
What in the actual fuck?

It's always like this. I quit trying to go to the Apple Store to pick up stuff and just order online now. I might have to wait a month for my Plus, but I'd rather just wait then stand in line all day.

Smidget

So how do you completely disable the apple keyboard so it always defaults to Swift? Like I type my username with the Swift but defaults back to Apple for password?

Top Bottom