• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

multivac

Okay, first time upgrading from iPhone to iPhone, and I know I have to disable Find my iPhone before I erase the phone and sell it, but do I need to do all this before activating the iPhone 6 or is it fine to do it after activation? Thanks!

sangreal

Okay, first time upgrading from iPhone to iPhone, and I know I have to disable Find my iPhone before I erase the phone and sell it, but do I need to do all this before activating the iPhone 6 or is it fine to do it after activation? Thanks!

you can do it after as long as you have wifi

Zeth

Holy shit, think I got a dud.

Screen does not work. I can hear it taking screenshots for example. Upper rear getting extremely hot to the touch from just powering it on. Charging/connecting does nothing. Genius bar backed up to Monday, oh well! iPhone 6, space grey, AT&T via Apple btw.

Mdot

OK, got it activated from AT&T. Simple actually.

iMessage is still funky though. Prob just a timing thing right? it's letting me send but coming up as my email address instead. The phone number is greyed out in the options for send/receive. Anybody else have this?

Screen does not work. I can hear it taking screenshots for example. Upper rear getting extremely hot to the touch from just powering it on. Charging/connecting does nothing. Genius bar backed up to Monday, oh well! iPhone 6, space grey, AT&T via Apple btw.

Just call 'em up and....

Oh wait....

kaskade

The verizon port was super quick, almost instant. They said like 4-24 hours online. Feels so good to have real service.

Also the 6 feels great. Perfect size for me.

Been messing around with my 6 Plus for a few hours and I love it. Beautiful screen and great battery life so far. I really like the tapping the home button to bring the top of the screen down. Helps with one hand use. Agree that devs need to be quick on the resolution updates though. Love the build of the device overall.

Tattooth

Does anyone know if Vodafone in the UK is able to unlock the iPhone 6 yet? I've sent a request through, but I have heard of some carriers not being able to unlock new phones for a few months.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with Apple having such a huge oversight on how popular the Plus would be. Stores in my town didn't get a single Plus shipped... Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for my pre-order to arrive after all but my 4 runs so poorly on iOS7 and the battery has been draining like crazy, even drains when in airplane mode, that I was hoping to upgrade sooner.

Zeth

Just call 'em up and....

Oh wait....

Haha, I have a working 5 thankfully. I'd call but I somehow expect I'd be on the phone for a while - and probably end up with a replacement delivered next month. Here's hoping my local (large) Apple store has exchange stock (they have in the past).

Just head back to the Apple store. I believe they have to have some stock held back just in case someone gets a dud so that they can replace it immediately.

demigod

After AT&T and Apple screwed me over my reservation, my brother in law had his friend hold a 6 plus for me. Wanted Gold but he only had 64GB Silver, i had to settle! Man i love this thing, so big.

RedAssedApe

Banned
DazzlingImpureEyelashpitviper.gif

amazing. never gets old

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't think this is happening for me today. Stupid Fido reservation system reserved me nothing but false hope.

yodandy

What's the consensus on what to do on first use of battery? Is it still a thing to let the battery die to 0% then give it a full charge to get better performance? Or was that always a myth?

RedAssedApe

Banned
What's the consensus on what to do on first use of battery? Is it still a thing to let the battery die to 0% then give it a full charge to get better performance? Or was that always a myth?

i dont think anyone does this anymore. at least i don't and my battery life has remained the same through out the life of my phones (usually 2-3 years)

Zeth

Just head back to the Apple store. I believe they have to have some stock held back just in case someone gets a dud so that they can replace it immediately.

Ok so I think it's the backlight that's not working. I can see the setup screen under a light. Definitely got a defective unit. Maybe I'll brave the Apple store. Think it's worth it, or just take the Monday genius appointment?

Servbot24

Banned
This will be my first time upgrading, and I preordered from Sprint. Do I just bring it and my old phone into a Sprint store to have them set everything up? Or can I get that all done on my own from home?

i dont think anyone does this anymore. at least i don't and my battery life has remained the same through out the life of my phones (usually 2-3 years)

There is a ZERO percent chance your battery life remained the same through out the life of your phone, laughable at 2-3 years

Ok so I think it's the backlight that's not working. I can see the setup screen under a light. Definitely got a defective unit. Maybe I'll brave the Apple store. Think it's worth it, or just take the Monday genius appointment?

I'd go ASAP. I believe they were instructed to hold like 4% of their shipments for replacements if someone got a DOA phone.

going to upgrade my galaxy s3 to the 6+, now just got an email from samsung for a $200 trade in offer for any working smartphone towards the note 4. Quite tempting but IMO they botched that release date being a month away from the new iphones

knicks

Did anyone get a Spigen Neo Hybrid case?

The power button sucks, its so hard to push.

I noticed that when I received it from Amazon so I didn't open it and have created a return label. Looks horrible. I thought it would be a soft gel type of case, its rock hard.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Had some errands to run and just walked into a couple ATT stores (with no lines or wait) just on off chance they had a 6+. Nope but they both had plenty of 6s so people probably don't need to wait in line if they want one today.

Marco1

Something I've realised with my new 6 is that the lightening cable plugs into the phone a lot easier than my 5 and 5S.
Hopefully this will make docks better.
Is this the same for everyone else?

Something I've realised with my new 6 is that the lightening cable plugs into the phone a lot easier than my 5 and 5S.
Hopefully this will make docks better.
Is this the same for everyone else?

Definitely. It just feels like a much tighter fit. The Lightning cable would wiggle on the 5 causing it to oscillate between charging/noncharging. It was super annoying

Ryck

Crazy I walked into T-Mobile just out of sheer curiosity as the ups guy was a walking out. Apparently they had just got an additional shipment of iPhones. I was able to snag up two gold 16gb for my wife and I. The best part is I traded in our ancient iPhone 4 for $200 a pop. Currently overwhelmed as I'm going from a four year old phone to a brand new one, wow!

kaskade

I wonder when apps are going to be updated to the resolutions. Some of them feel weird since they're scaled up like Instagram.

Blackhead

Redarse
Tried out a demo iphone 6 at the apple store today at lunch. I’m pretty sure I still prefer the 4” screen size for about 80% of the things I read and work with on the phone.

If i shift up my hand, i can cover all the buttons on the screen, but then i need to move the hand back down for the home button. with my hand down to access the home button, I need reachability or another hand to access buttons at the opposite upper corner of my thumb.

and it’s not always a back arrow that has been replaced by a swipe.

in Maps, the directions button is upper left corner. can’t hit it with right thumb.

in safari, reload button is upper right corner. can’t hit it with left thumb.

in the itunes store, the categories button is the upper left corner.

etc.

so the layout of buttons in some apps require hand repositioning or the reachability mode. no surprise that this is the case but it’s annoying at first use for someone who hasn’t had to think about that over 7 years of iPhones.

the big screen is nicer when viewing full webpages with multiple columns, or for viewing pictures and video. But, for my use, I still prefer having the 100% unhindered one handed use of the 4” screen more often than the larger screen size for other things.

on the hardware side, the pill shape with rounded edges really makes it feel like a totally different device than the last 4 iPhones. It’s comfortable but I think I got too used to the chunky iphone 4 and 5 and it feels weird at first going back to a device with curved sides.

I didnt even bother playing around with the 6+. I’ve handled a galaxy note before and know that fabulist aren’t my thing at all. a guy next to me did pick up the 6+ at the demo table and immediately put it in his jacket pocket. just slipped it into and out of the pocket a half dozen times and left.

You've been using 3.5"/4" phones for too long. To give the 6 a proper chance, you really have to take it home for a least a week — ignore your 5 for that period as well — before making the comparison. I'm sure you'd definitely prefer reading on the 6 after that (even if you still find the size a bit uncomfortable to hold).

That said, I went to the Apple Store and tried the 6 Plus and it's HUGE. I knew in the abstract that it was bigger than a Note but holy shit, it's BIGGER THAN A GALAXY NOTE. In contrast, I actually found the 6 a bit small. I guess I'm used to the Android flagships (Galaxy Nexus introduced me to 4.7" 720p screens 3 years ago 0_0 ) and 6 is pretty very thin. It feels quite comfortable in hand. But I can read the Neogaf full website easily on the 6+ while it's a strain on the 6 and impossible on the 5s. But otherwise there aren't many software features that take advantage of the bigger 5.5" screen. I wish Apple offered a model with a 5" 1080p screen... I think I'll get the 6 first and if the battery life sucks, I'll switch to the 6+

Corgi

Banned
how are non native apps on 6+ so far?

The few games that were on the demo unit at best buy look surprisingly decent at a feet distance away from my face, but my eyes aren't terribly great lol.

Top Bottom