• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

My local Apple Store (Boca Raton, FL) must have had about 1,000 iPhone 6's...but maybe no more than 100-150 Pluses.

Getting there at 5am proved to not be early enough. 4am may have made the cut. Maybe.

I elected to simply not take a phone home with me this time. I'll just keep an eye on the local store and hopefully just happen upon a shipment delivery. Fuck waiting until late October/November to get one. That's just silliness.

I did appreciate the opportunity to put hands on both, though. They're both really nice phones. The 6 is definitely a large phone. The 6+ definitely feels like a large utility device of some kind. If my goal was to use it primarily for phone calls, I'd definitely go 6, but my intention is to spend more time on Twitch, Safari and watching videos. I think the 6+ will suit me better. I still need to experience it in a pair of slacks, though. That I won't be able to evaluate until it's in my possession. I also want to see a black model. The white/gold model on display at the store I checked them out at (AT&T) looked really nice...but I like my electronics black. I need to see black before I can make a final decision.

MercuryLS

Banned
In line for my iPhone 6 space grey at square one. They seem to have a lot of them and the line isn't too crazy. Should take about two hours. All sold out of the pluses, they have gold 6s in 16gb only and only a few silvers. Thanks god I always bet on black.

how are non native apps on 6+ so far?

The few games that were on the demo unit at best buy look surprisingly decent at a feet distance away from my face, but my eyes aren't terribly great lol.

Almost all the apps I've used look fine scaled up to the 5.5" screen

Corgi

Banned
oh yeah, was surprised at how well the double tap to bring down the top of the iphone is.

Makes no sense that feature isn't on iphone 5/5S. Even with large hands sometimes you are holding the phone in a weird way in which reaching the top isn't always the most pleasant.

UPS tried to deliver it at 3 PM but, like the majority of america, i was at work.

Was on hold with UPS for 30 minutes, they told me i cant pick it up from a distribution center unless Sprint authorizes it.

Was on hold with Sprint for 30 minutes, as soon as the guy comes onto the line the call is mysteriously disconnected.

Fuckin' hell. Just want to pick the stupid thing up.

sikkinixx

Went and looked at them earlier. HUGE ass line at Apple Store for them.

I'm totally in love, with both. I would get the 6 Plus is a heartbeat but that fucker won't fit in my pocket worth a damn. Heft feels fine, camera was nice, screen is awesome. Love the feel in your hand. Guess the 6 wins out only because it's actually the size of a phone.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Are you porting from a different service? Mine took no time at all. Guy at the store activated the phone in-store, unboxed, turned it on, restored a local backup, worked.

I am looking to move my Sprint number.

I ordered it from Apple and it just came with no information at all. Says T-Mobile in the status bar but that's about it. I don't even know how to start the process.

ReAxion

What's the consensus on what to do on first use of battery? Is it still a thing to let the battery die to 0% then give it a full charge to get better performance? Or was that always a myth?

Just keep it between 70% and 30% all the time whenever that's feasible. Full discharges and overcharges are bad.

yodandy

I am looking to move my Sprint number.

I ordered it from Apple and it just came with no information at all. Says T-Mobile in the status bar but that's about it. I don't even know how to start the process.

I moved from sprint as well. The guys at the store made it really easy on me. I stood in front of them for 30 mins, signed a few things, gave them my Sprint Pin. Done.

Head to your local store or call up Tmobile customer service.

sangreal

how are non native apps on 6+ so far?

The few games that were on the demo unit at best buy look surprisingly decent at a feet distance away from my face, but my eyes aren't terribly great lol.
I can't stand the scaled apps. Everything is huge and in some cases blurry.

On the plus side I'm not having any issues lying down browsing gaf one handed

I didn't order a phone (I'm upgrading in November or so) and was wondering how soon do you think these bad boys will be available for a walk-in purchase? I'm seeing some of you guys that ordered a phone, the night it was available, have to wait until sometime in October...

RedAssedApe

Banned
There is a ZERO percent chance your battery life remained the same through out the life of your phone, laughable at 2-3 years

if it did it wasn't appreciable. all i expect out of my phone is for it to get through the day on a full charge and that's what i've seen through the life of my last few phones (iphone 4 and current 5s)

don't see why thats laughable. obviously i don't measure this shit or do anything "scientific". sorry if you haven't seen the same. maybe you use your phone a lot more than me.

toneroni

I moved from sprint as well. The guys at the store made it really easy on me. I stood in front of them for 30 mins, signed a few things, gave them my Sprint Pin. Done.

Head to your local store or call up Tmobile customer service.

I'm considering having t-mobile pay my ETF and move from Sprint too. Their data sucks in NYC.

ReAxion

if it did it wasn't appreciable. all i expect out of my phone is for it to get through the day on a full charge and that's what i've seen through the life of my last few phones (iphone 4 and current 5s)

don't see why thats laughable. obviously i don't measure this shit or do anything "scientific". sorry if you haven't seen the same. maybe you use your phone a lot more than me.

it's not laughable. truly noticeable drop in battery performance is between 3 and 5 years, depending on care/environment.

tmdorsey

Okay, first time upgrading from iPhone to iPhone, and I know I have to disable Find my iPhone before I erase the phone and sell it, but do I need to do all this before activating the iPhone 6 or is it fine to do it after activation? Thanks!

Wait a minute? What if I didn't disable Find my iPhone before erasing all content on my old 5?

can somebody help me out i have never used itunes before.

i imported all my media into itunes, but when i try to copy it to my phone for some albums it will copy all the songs but for some songs it wont. Don't know what im doing wrong...

yodandy

I'm considering having t-mobile pay my ETF and move from Sprint too. Their data sucks in NYC.

Sprint's voice/data coverage and data speeds were so laughable in Chicago. I was on ATT for years, and it was OK, Sprint for 8 months, god awful. Tmobile now is cheap and great speeds/coverage so far.

Got my 6+. First impression, it's huge!

If I can get used to the size, EVERYTHING else about it is great. The screen quality, real estate, typing. All perfect but dat size...

Unless you have big hands or can always use 2 hands when handing a phone, stick with the regular 6 which is really nice also. Coworker got one of those so I was able to side by side it.

Sinecat

Neo Member
I wonder when apps are going to be updated to the resolutions. Some of them feel weird since they're scaled up like Instagram.

The best about Apple is that developers update their apps really quick, because Apple makes it really easy and kinda forces them to do it.

Sprint's voice/data coverage and data speeds were so laughable in Chicago. I was on ATT for years, and it was OK, Sprint for 8 months, god awful. Tmobile now is cheap and great speeds/coverage so far.

i guess it depends where in NYC you're going to be using Tmobile. brooklyn south doesn't have the best coverage on the network.

Blearth

Banned
So I was fucking around on tmobile.com and I think I may have accidentally ordered a phone.

They sent me an email confirming I had signed an EIP agreement. Am I stuck?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just dropped by the Apple Store at Bellevue Square (Washington state) to pick up a case for my 6 and there were still well over 200 people lined up inside of the mall. Crazines...

According to a rep, they got in "a ton" of iPhone 6 Plus devices, too, and they were expecting more later in the day and throughout the week. They had them on display, too, and after messing around with it I'm kind of glad I went with the 6. The screen and its size are nice, no doubt, and I can still somewhat type one-handed with it, but the device just looks kind of goofy for lack of a better word. It really does look like they just took the 6 and stretched it out without much thought to the aesthetics. Maybe it's just not possible to make a massive phone look good.

I ended up grabbing a white silicone case to go with my silver iPhone 6. I've owned a 4S and a 5S in the past, but this is the first time the device felt so delicate that I wanted to put a case on it. Something about the lightness, thinness, and rounded glass edges just makes me feel uneasy walking around with it in my hand.

mr stroke

Plus feels massive compared to 5s (and I have big hands) I can still one hand the phone for a lot of uses, but typing and some apps require 2 hands

Deffinitly worth standing in line for 2 hours, after 3 hours with the plus I could never go back

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Well damn just as I arrived home and about to take a crap (TMI sorry) ups rings my bell and delivers my iPhone 6

Corgi

Banned
i need to write a memo to myself in 2 years to wait for apple store to go up, and don't cave in and order from wireless carrier store.

never again.

Top Bottom